What's your back up plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A very common saying in these forums is "if you would also love a job outside of vet med, do that job instead", and that scares me. There are several other jobs that I know I would be very happy at, however I am still pursuing vet med.

One back-up plan is to get my masters in either animal science or biochemistry. The day-to-day life of a PhD does not appeal to me. However, with a masters I can still work hands-on in a lab/ research setting or teach at a community college (both of which appeal to me greatly). The other plan would be to enter into a law enforcement career, eventually working for some federal law enforcement agency (FBI, Secret Service, US Fish and Wildlife, US Marshals, etc) following the footsteps of most everyone in my family.

My backup plan would be to go back and pursue a degree in forensic science and work as a blood splatter analyst or a forensic examiner. I'm also considering furthering it to becoming a forensic anthropologist.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My backup plan would be to go back and pursue a degree in forensic science and work as a blood splatter analyst or a forensic examiner. I'm also considering furthering it to becoming a forensic anthropologist.
I considered forensics too! I still have some interest in veterinary forensics, but tbh I don't think I'm cut out to handle those kinds of cases day in and out. Although not all are necessarily about abuse.

About a year ago the Federal Aviation Administration opened applications to the public for air traffic control positions. My mom, dad, step mom, and step dad are all air traffic controllers so my mom recommended I give it a shot. I submitted the application and took a biographical assessment along with it. From those that applied (about 20,000+ I believe), the pool was narrowed down and those remaining had to schedule a time to take the Air Traffic Selection and Training Exam (which, by the way, was crazy!!!). From there a couple thousand were sent tentative offer letters along with a **** ton of paper work. And then more paper work with the longest background check ever including two sets of your fingerprints for the FBI to complete the security investigation. Long story short, I've made it through so far! (A year long process...) Just waiting to schedule the medical examination. If all goes well, I will go to the FAA Academy in OKC for about 3 months. Which, by the way, they pay you while your in school/training plus cover your living expenses!

I'm really hoping I can attend the academy the months leading up to the start of veterinary school. That way I can check out this FAA option before I commit to vet school. Don't get me wrong, I really, really want to attend vet school (this will be my second year applying) but the idea of having no debt and making more than the average veterinarian is reallllllyyyyy appealing. But, no guarantee this FAA thing will work out. The washout rate for the Academy is 60%. Yikes! Plus, I could end up hating the profession...

Reactions: 1 users
But, no guarantee this FAA thing will work out. The washout rate for the Academy is 60%. Yikes! Plus, I could end up hating the profession...
Since a lot of your family is in the profession, is it possible to shadow them or something to see if it's something you're interested in?

I actually shadowed for a few hours at the Houston terminal when I was in the area visiting my family for Thanksgiving. Even though it was brief I feel that I learned a lot and it seems like something I could enjoy, it's just so different than anything I ever pictured for myself. Growing up with animals, majoring in biology, working in veterinary and human medicine for the past six years... it's weird being in such a completely different environment. So probably not a bad idea to shadow some more! :)

Reactions: 1 users
-Last Summer, I was hired as a vet assistant at the clinic I've been volunteering since the the age of 10. The owners told I could stay as long as I want. While it is a tempting offer, and I AM loving the job, the modest salary won't be keeping me there forever.

-I planned onto focus my career as a Kickboxer if I didn't get into vet med. Since I recently pulled the plug on that last month (I lost the thrill to fight), that is no longer an option.

My other options would be:

- Biology Teacher
-Martial Arts Teacher
-Theater Actress (I've been doing 3 Dramatics Arts Classes since Grade 7to improve the way I speak with people. I really enjoyed them and I could totally see myself doing this as career later on)
-I LOVE learning new languages and traveling. I would like to combine these two passions and become a translator.

-Last Summer, I was hired as a vet assistant at the clinic I've been volunteering since the the age of 10. The owners told I could stay as long as I want. While it is a tempting offer, and I AM loving the job, the modest salary won't be keeping me there forever.

-I planned onto focus my career as a Kickboxer if I didn't get into vet med. Since I recently pulled the plug on that last month (I lost the thrill to fight), that is no longer an option.

My other options would be:

- Biology Teacher
-Martial Arts Teacher
-Theater Actress (I've been doing 3 Dramatics Arts Classes since Grade 7to improve the way I speak with people. I really enjoyed them and I could totally see myself doing this as career later on)
-I LOVE learning new languages and traveling. I would like to combine these two passions and become a translator.

I mean I am doing my back up plan right now(and tentatively just survived my first semester as a grad student). I feel like going into the industry is more my thing instead of academia. I might take a break from school and then do PhD or DVM after a bit

I like this idea. Can your girlfriend get her MD and let me be a stay at home accessory that breeds (sport)ponies and events with her money?

I have a nice mare that would make beautiful sport ponies and horses. You get the stallion and we can experiment(if I end up making bank in the poultry industry I can support). She’d throw some pretty colors with nice temperaments

I have a nice mare that would make beautiful sport ponies and horses. You get the stallion and we can experiment(if I end up making bank in the poultry industry I can support). She’d throw some pretty colors with nice temperaments
Excellent. Let's live together forever and breed ponies. (PM me a picture of your mare!! I'd love to see her!)

Excellent. Let's live together forever and breed ponies. (PM me a picture of your mare!! I'd love to see her!)
Here ya go
CAA81E99-7AA4-401C-8F0B-32D94F3EA23F.jpeg
26C84F10-A003-4C15-B8E2-2474D442303A.jpeg

62B23E9D-8C0A-4F75-8BB4-B94F6AD162A9.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
Ugh she's perfect. Let me come pet her and pop her over some jumps.
She a little bit more robust now. I need to get her back in shape first. She’ll love the pets and requests apples and carrots