What is your school telling you about when you (med students) might/will get a COVID vaccine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry you’re feeling bad. It does give me some sense of validation though. I did feel like you were one of the loudest voices discounting side effects, and I had really suffered.

What? I didn’t discount side effects. I said that basically any side effects you get are better than getting covid. I still feel that way. I’d gladly do it again even knowing I was going to feel like ****.

Kind of weird that you are happy someone is suffering.

Edit: if you’re referring to me discounting long term side effects, that’s not even remotely the same. There is no evidence that mRNA vaccines cause long term side effects. That doesn’t mean you can’t feel like **** for a couple days after the vaccine.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Okay...
Reactions: 3 users
Wow, that did not help. Felt good for about 3 hours, then started to get fatigued. Wasn’t unmanageable though. Arm was sore and hurt to lift above my shoulder.

By 12 hours, I was nauseated, really fatigued, and flushed. Took some Motrin and got into bed with some Queen’s Gambit.

Woke up at 2am with bad headache, chills, rigors, flushing, tachycardia, bad arthralgias, nausea, and a stiff neck. Took some more Motrin at 4. Slept a little.

Woke up at 8 with a bad headache, nausea, and fatigue. It’s 9 now and I got tired just walking up the stairs to get breakfast.
Oof man. Hope you're feeling better now.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry you’re feeling bad. It does give me some sense of validation though. I did feel like you were one of the loudest voices discounting side effects, and I had really suffered.
🥴🥴 an aspiring physician validated by someone’s suffering

• Okay...
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ll wait while you quote where I invalidated your suffering.
I had moderate side effects for 60 hours after Pfizer #1, and severe side effects for 72 hours after Pfizer #2. The worst was at hour 24-36 after #2. I was physically suffering. But I also put off taking NSAIDs until I couldn’t take it anymore at like hour 32, due to the weak evidence/theoretical idea that it attenuates the immune response.

I am very thankful for the vaccine and would make the same decision again knowing the side effects I had. Now if it became a yearly thing I might have to think about it. But for now, I would just recommend to get it when you don’t have responsibilities for the next couple days. Like get it on a Friday when you get off duty, if you are off that weekend. And just commit to staying at home and getting through the side effects if it happens.
What? I had extremely minimal side effects from Pfizer #1, and I know more people who had none than who had bad ones.
This was a quick search just from this thread. I posted about my experience and the very next post was you saying this. Yes you didn’t say I was lying but it was the very next post and you were talking past me and minimizing vaccine side effects. And I remember you doing it a couple times on different threads. Never directly saying you thought was lying or anything, but immediately posting about how the vaccine has no effects right after I talked about my extensive side effects.

This was a quick search just from this thread. I posted about my experience and the very next post was you saying this. Yes you didn’t say I was lying but it was the very next post and you were talking past me and minimizing vaccine side effects. And I remember you doing it a couple times on different threads. Never directly saying you thought was lying or anything, but immediately posting about how the vaccine has no effects right after I talked about my extensive side effects.

well I sincerely apologize if you felt like that invalidated you. I was responding to lawpy who said Pfizer requires you to feel bad twice. I know a lot more people who felt fine after Pfizer 1 than felt bad. That wasn’t meant to invalidate your experience, just to be a statement of fact.

But it also didn’t have anything to do with Pfizer 2. Even before I got 2, I knew most people were having a bad time.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
well I sincerely apologize if you felt like that invalidated you. I was responding to lawpy who said Pfizer requires you to feel bad twice. I know a lot more people who felt fine after Pfizer 1 than felt bad. That wasn’t meant to invalidate your experience, just to be a statement of fact.

But it also didn’t have anything to do with Pfizer 2. Even before I got 2, I knew most people were having a bad time.
Yes I truly thought you were countering me to the point of invalidating me. I even said to my husband “SDN is acting like I’m a hypochondriac imagining my vaccine effects” specifically because of it.

I am sorry you are suffering. And I do appreciate your apology, and that it was a misunderstanding . I do agree with you I don’t want to discourage others from getting it, and in fact have encouraged them to get it but just plan accordingly for a couple days off.

• Care
Yes I truly thought you were countering me to the point of invalidating me. I even said to my husband “SDN is acting like I’m a hypochondriac imagining my vaccine effects” specifically because of it.

I am sorry you are suffering. And I do appreciate your apology, and that it was a misunderstanding . I do agree with you I don’t want to discourage others from getting it, and in fact have encouraged them to get it but just plan accordingly for a couple days off.

Ah, no not at all. I hadn’t even read your post when I responded to lawpy.

And I don’t want to discourage people from getting it, but I don’t think we should hide our experiences. People should know that even though it might suck, it’s worth it.

And I’m better now. Only took about 48 hours lol.

• Care
I got both doses in the same arm. Wicked headache (2 days after which was weird) and some arm soreness both times. Happy to to have the opportunity to be vaccinated so early although I hope the variants circulating don't throw a wrench in the progress.

It seems to be working from my perspective. I do some tracking for infected HCW at a local hospital that has reached about 80% coverage (of at least one dose). The number of infections went from 50 in the first two weeks of January to around 8 infections in the next two weeks. :)

• Love
What do you think the chances are that hospitals or workplaces discriminate based on vaccine type? I'm an MD/PhD student, and I got skipped over for the first round. If I wind up with a J&J vaccine, will I be at risk for losing job/clinical opportunities because I'm a potential spreader? I've been out of the clinic entirely for a year now and I'd like to get back ASAP and get my career running again. Got a potential opportunity for an mRNA vaccine (not offered, but probably will be once I'm officially an employee of a different hospital system), but I haven't been aggressive about it because I'm hoping they'll start vaccinating patients soon and throw all their supplies into that.
I hope the variants circulating don't throw a wrench in the progress.
Hard not to imagine there won't at least be a threat for a long time. Whether or not the vaccines hold up remains to be seen. Even if the US gets vaccinated by summer, this thing is raging all over the world. Viruses mutate just as much in Brazilian and Indian cells as they do in American and European ones. I think we'll see things pop up from time to time, and I think we'll be on pretty much constant COVID variant watch for at least 10 years (maybe more like 2-3 years for the general public) until spread is very low worldwide and not many mutations are happening.

The real question is, will any of these variants cause severe outcomes (i.e. similar societal destruction to COVID) in the vaccinated, even if the vaccine doesn't protect against infection? My guess is no. You'll have enough immunity to certain, conserved parts of the virus that, like other rapidly mutating viruses, you'll still have a decently rapid immune response that prevents truly severe disease. We've observed this in respiratory viruses, including flu, for decades, and flu mutates 10x as quickly as SARS-CoV-2.

I do hope that there is a serious line of inquiry into how "bad" an escape mutation really is rather than sheer panic. From what I can tell (to simplify it to an extreme) the worst thing about this virus is that our immune systems have never seen it before. Once you burst that bubble and we have at least partial immunity, what makes this worse than other circulating coronaviruses or other endemic viruses in general?

• Hmm
What do you think the chances are that hospitals or workplaces discriminate based on vaccine type? I'm an MD/PhD student, and I got skipped over for the first round. If I wind up with a J&J vaccine, will I be at risk for losing job/clinical opportunities because I'm a potential spreader? I've been out of the clinic entirely for a year now and I'd like to get back ASAP and get my career running again. Got a potential opportunity for an mRNA vaccine (not offered, but probably will be once I'm officially an employee of a different hospital system), but I haven't been aggressive about it because I'm hoping they'll start vaccinating patients soon and throw all their supplies into that.

Hard not to imagine there won't at least be a threat for a long time. Whether or not the vaccines hold up remains to be seen. Even if the US gets vaccinated by summer, this thing is raging all over the world. Viruses mutate just as much in Brazilian and Indian cells as they do in American and European ones. I think we'll see things pop up from time to time, and I think we'll be on pretty much constant COVID variant watch for at least 10 years (maybe more like 2-3 years for the general public) until spread is very low worldwide and not many mutations are happening.

The real question is, will any of these variants cause severe outcomes (i.e. similar societal destruction to COVID) in the vaccinated, even if the vaccine doesn't protect against infection? My guess is no. You'll have enough immunity to certain, conserved parts of the virus that, like other rapidly mutating viruses, you'll still have a decently rapid immune response that prevents truly severe disease. We've observed this in respiratory viruses, including flu, for decades, and flu mutates 10x as quickly as SARS-CoV-2.

I do hope that there is a serious line of inquiry into how "bad" an escape mutation really is rather than sheer panic. From what I can tell (to simplify it to an extreme) the worst thing about this virus is that our immune systems have never seen it before. Once you burst that bubble and we have at least partial immunity, what makes this worse than other circulating coronaviruses or other endemic viruses in general?

That's a great and important point. I'm thinking demand for Pfizer will outweigh J&J that Pfizer will have a huge profit incentive to ship out billions of vaccines for that reason. And hospitals might still prioritize Pfizer over J&J because efficacy still matters to them, and i'm optimistic they're aware 2 shots > 1 shot. I'd try to get the Pfizer vaccine ASAP in the meantime.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a great and important point. I'm thinking demand for Pfizer will outweigh J&J that Pfizer will have a huge profit incentive to ship out billions of vaccines for that reason. And hospitals might still prioritize Pfizer over J&J because efficacy still matters to them, and i'm optimistic they're aware 2 shots > 1 shot. I'd try to get the Pfizer vaccine ASAP in the meantime.
Yeah, I guess I'll send a polite reminder to get my paperwork in on Monday. They're even talking about vaccinating undergrads before grad students over here, undoubtedly to ensure they're on campus in full numbers in the Fall, so I'd probably be looking at summer. After TA'ing in person to save this school's finances with no choice and zero provided PPE (while the university actively refused to contact trace within classrooms, i.e. they wouldn't tell me if any of my students tested positive), it's such an insult to see them actively skip over me so many times in the name of money.

• Wow
This wasn’t the original reasoning for the thread, but I have another question that I’m curious for you all’s opinions on.

I’m a preclinical student currently and my school has said they do not know when they will get vaccines for us. However, in my state apparently all medical students are included in the current phase of vaccine rollout despite whether or not they are doing anything clinical. Some students in my class who aren’t doing clinical things were able to get it from a hospital nearby and I’m pondering whether I should do the same since I technically am (strangely) included in my state’s “phase”, or if I should hold it off since I’m not currently doing anything clinical?

Let the moral debate/high-horsing begin lol.

This wasn’t the original reasoning for the thread, but I have another question that I’m curious for you all’s opinions on.

I’m a preclinical student currently and my school has said they do not know when they will get vaccines for us. However, in my state apparently all medical students are included in the current phase of vaccine rollout despite whether or not they are doing anything clinical. Some students in my class who aren’t doing clinical things were able to get it from a hospital nearby and I’m pondering whether I should do the same since I technically am (strangely) included in my state’s “phase”, or if I should hold it off since I’m not currently doing anything clinical?

I mean as long as the state has enough to vaccinate everyone in that phase, I don’t think it’s unfair for you to get it. If you’re taking it away from people actually doing clinical work, then you should wait. Like at my school, my class wasn’t originally included in the vaccination plan because they figured we would just get them at our first rotation site. Then the hospital said they had enough, so my class all went and got vaccinated.

So if they’re saying you can go get it...go get it.

Reactions: 2 users
I mean as long as the state has enough to vaccinate everyone in that phase, I don’t think it’s unfair for you to get it. If you’re taking it away from people actually doing clinical work, then you should wait. Like at my school, my class wasn’t originally included in the vaccination plan because they figured we would just get them at our first rotation site. Then the hospital said they had enough, so my class all went and got vaccinated.

So if they’re saying you can go get it...go get it.
That's been my thinking as well. If you meet the categories to get a vaccine, get the vaccine.

That's been my thinking as well. If you meet the categories to get a vaccine, get the vaccine.
We have to use our own judgement and reasoning. High-horsing is pointless. The only moral consideration is going to be the voice in the back of your own head telling you whether or not you cut the line.

A friend of mine told me she was getting a vaccine through the state because she technically qualified as a non-COVID facing healthcare worker as a basic science laboratory graduate student. From the description from the state, that distinction was obviously meant for people in hospital labs running clinical samples, not grad students doing research. She described logging on to the state website at the exact time the new appointments opened because appointments were so hard to secure.

I view the above as equivalent to lining up outside a hospital Black Friday-style and pushing over the 78 year olds trying to secure a life-saving vaccine. Unsurprisingly, this individual has also gone to multiple large weddings, many of them halfway across the country, regularly travels (by plane) for pleasure, and has been keeping at least 10-15 small groups of people she regularly gets together with on weekends. Ironically, it may actually be a very moral thing for her to get the vaccine. However, despite qualifying as both a medical student (PhD and entirely non-clinical) and a laboratory worker, I'm definitely not the intended target for the vaccines right now, so I won't go out of my way to get one. I will jump on any opportunity presented, though, and once the very vulnerable are vaccinated, I plan on getting mine ASAP.

On the other hand, many of my labmates were offered the vaccine because they have non-clinical appointments at a hospital. They were emailed about it and given appointments at the hospital. Getting vaccines out, especially early on, was logistically tricky. Skipping on a vaccine explicitly offered to you does not guarantee yours goes to someone it would help more.

It's pretty obvious, imo, whether or not you're being immoral getting a vaccine. If you have to go out of your way to beat other people to it, it's immoral. If you getting vaccinated is just a strange part of the overall plan, regardless of whether it's a well-designed plan, you're probably not helping anyone by holding out.

Last edited:
We have to use our own judgement and reasoning. High-horsing is pointless. The only moral consideration is going to be the voice in the back of your own head telling you whether or not you cut the line.

A friend of mine told me she was getting a vaccine through the state because she technically qualified as a non-COVID facing healthcare worker as a basic science laboratory graduate student. From the description from the state, that distinction was obviously meant for people in hospital labs running clinical samples, not grad students doing research. She described logging on to the state website at the exact time the new appointments opened because appointments were so hard to secure.

I view the above as equivalent to lining up outside a hospital Black Friday-style and pushing over the 78 year olds trying to secure a life-saving vaccine. Unsurprisingly, this individual has also gone to multiple large weddings, many of them halfway across the country, regularly travels (by plane) for pleasure, and has been keeping at least 10-15 small groups of people she regularly gets together with on weekends. Ironically, it may actually be a very moral thing for her to get the vaccine. However, despite qualifying as both a medical student (PhD and entirely non-clinical) and a laboratory worker

On the other hand, many of my labmates were offered the vaccine because they have non-clinical appointments at a hospital. They were emailed about it and given appointments at the hospital. Getting vaccines out, especially early on, was logistically tricky. Skipping on a vaccine explicitly offered to you does not guarantee yours goes to someone it would help more.

It's pretty obvious, imo, whether or not you're being immoral getting a vaccine. If you have to go out of your way to beat other people to it, it's immoral. If you getting vaccinated is just a strange part of the overall plan, regardless of whether it's a well-designed plan, you're probably not helping anyone by holding out.

See, that’s why I see my situation as sort of a gray area, because apparently all medical students are included in phase one because there is no distinction in the rule about clinical exposure being required, however my school has still yet to get enough vaccines to vaccinate all of the preclinical students. They did get enough to vaccinate those who had clinical involvement. In a way, if I went to this hospital that is apparently offering them to anyone who is a medical student, I wouldn’t be tricking any system, but it still feels somewhat wrong knowing I would be going out of my way to get it as A non-clinical student when my school hasn’t even had enough to offer all of its students yet.

See, that’s why I see my situation as sort of a gray area, because apparently all medical students are included in phase one because there is no distinction in the rule about clinical exposure being required, however my school has still yet to get enough vaccines to vaccinate all of the preclinical students. They did get enough to vaccinate those who had clinical involvement. In a way, if I went to this hospital that is apparently offering them to anyone who is a medical student, I wouldn’t be tricking any system, but it still feels somewhat wrong knowing I would be going out of my way to get it as A non-clinical student when my school hasn’t even had enough to offer all of its students yet.

You’re fine. Get it.

Got both doses through my rotation site. My school had nothing to do with it.

If you have the opportunity to get the vaccine, get it— even if you’re not currently patient facing, you will be soon enough. Plus, if you get vaccinated you can safely help volunteer to give the vaccine, which would help other people to get it.

• Hmm
Oh an update

I got the 1st shot of moderna few days ago. Had a pretty sore arm but recovered in couple of days

I'm hoping the recent Pfizer news applies to Moderna but in either case, i'm already signed up for 2nd shot in march

Oh an update

I got the 1st shot of moderna few days ago. Had a pretty sore arm but recovered in couple of days

I'm hoping the recent Pfizer news applies to Moderna but in either case, i'm already signed up for 2nd shot in march
I read similar data on Moderna...something like 80% effective after 1 dose.

I felt similar after dose 1 of Moderna and then was absolutely wrecked by dose 2. Only for ~24 hours, but still. Was walking around on my rotation feeling like I was gonna pass out.

I got the second shot (Pfizer) yesterday. A little tired and slightly sore arm. I felt that my first shot was worse (though not bad overall).

Anyway, not to long ago, my school started to extend vaccinations to people who are 65+ and are related to someone affiliated with the school.

Alright, need some advice. MD/PhD student. Still no vaccine. Initially they told us they weren't getting us vaccines yet because we don't have to be clinical right now (although I'd be doing clinical work/shadowing right now if it were not for COVID). Now, the school is no longer providing vaccines. Their words were basically "do whatever the state says to do," which is confusing (am I a medical student? A PhD student?). About half of my colleagues received the vaccine (if they work in a lab that was directly affiliated with the hospital, who vaccinated everyone there), and the other half were put on hold. Now the school has just told us to "go by whatever the state says."

As of Friday, I officially work in a lab in a hospital rather than just at my university, but the hospital is no longer vaccinating. The initial vaccinations of researchers were, to the best of my knowledge, just because the state bungled the initial roll out. No idea if I'm eligible, and I'm not sure if I should be getting the mRNA vaccines or a J&J (which is probably what I'll get if I wait), given I'm going to be doing clinical work fairly shortly.

Feels weird going through the state, duking it out with 65 year olds on the state website for a vaccine when I'm not even sure if I'm eligible. At the same time, I want the vaccine that will best protect patients and prevent me from being an asymptomatic spreader (which seems more likely with the J&J vaccine than mRNA vaccines right now). Thoughts?

• Hmm
Alright, need some advice. MD/PhD student. Still no vaccine. Initially they told us they weren't getting us vaccines yet because we don't have to be clinical right now (although I'd be doing clinical work/shadowing right now if it were not for COVID). Now, the school is no longer providing vaccines. Their words were basically "do whatever the state says to do," which is confusing (am I a medical student? A PhD student?). About half of my colleagues received the vaccine (if they work in a lab that was directly affiliated with the hospital, who vaccinated everyone there), and the other half were put on hold. Now the school has just told us to "go by whatever the state says."

As of Friday, I officially work in a lab in a hospital rather than just at my university, but the hospital is no longer vaccinating. The initial vaccinations of researchers were, to the best of my knowledge, just because the state bungled the initial roll out. No idea if I'm eligible, and I'm not sure if I should be getting the mRNA vaccines or a J&J (which is probably what I'll get if I wait), given I'm going to be doing clinical work fairly shortly.

Feels weird going through the state, duking it out with 65 year olds on the state website for a vaccine when I'm not even sure if I'm eligible. At the same time, I want the vaccine that will best protect patients and prevent me from being an asymptomatic spreader (which seems more likely with the J&J vaccine than mRNA vaccines right now). Thoughts?
hmm I feel for you but you should try to get it I think. If they'll give it to you. I would prioritize an mRNA vaccine, but if it's "you get what you get" kinda deal then J&J is serviceable and better than none.

What is this about the J&J vaccine possibly being less effective in preventing asymptomatic spread?

What is this about the J&J vaccine possibly being less effective in preventing asymptomatic spread?
Well, you're more like to get COVID with the J&J, which I assume will mean you'll be more likely to spread it. The big selling point with J&J is that it prevents hospitalization and death, but there's still a decently high chance you get COVID. Obviously the jury is still out, but I assume risk of contracting symptomatic disease tracks pretty tightly with risk of asymptomatic disease and overall viral load.

Edit: To be clear, I still don't think it's that big a deal, as we'll be dealing with widespread immunity soon. The only reason I'm even remotely worried is the prospect that I might be giving physical exams or long interviews to older or very susceptible people. In that case, it's probably more important that I get the best possible vaccine than someone else. That being said, I'll take what I can get and just make sure the hospital is okay with it. J&J is still a great vaccine and people should take it if offered.

Last edited:
Personally if given the option, i'd much rather take the Russia vaccine over J&J hands down. Especially since it turns out Russia vaccine is actually truly effective despite the mockery and criticism.

Still waiting for Novavax

• Hmm

Try and get it. If the accountant working for the hospital from home 3 days a week and going in 2 was able to get it, you should be able to. The system sucks but if you have a way to get it you should.

Personally if given the option, i'd much rather take the Russia vaccine over J&J hands down. Especially since it turns out Russia vaccine is actually truly effective despite the mockery and criticism.

Still waiting for Novavax
But J&J is a good vaccine? Obviously Moderna/Pfizer are better, but the flu vaccine isn't 90+% effective and we accept those rates. I'm surprised you'd feel more comfortable with something Russian.

Edit: misspoke about most vaccines being <90% effective.

Last edited:
But J&J is a good vaccine? Obviously Moderna/Pfizer are better, but most of our vaccines aren't 90+% effective and we accept those rates. I'm surprised you'd feel more comfortable with something Russian.
Russia is 90+% effective

Russia is 90+% effective

Thanks for sharing. I read as much as I could before the pay wall ha. I didn't realize there had been any data published on this. I'd probably still go for FDA-backed vaccines over it personally.

Thanks for sharing. I read as much as I could before the pay wall ha. I didn't realize there had been any data published on this. I'd probably still go for FDA-backed vaccines over it personally.

But J&J is a good vaccine? Obviously Moderna/Pfizer are better, but most of our vaccines aren't 90+% effective and we accept those rates. I'm surprised you'd feel more comfortable with something Russian.
Actually most of them are 90+%, flu is the only one that's not really good. And maybe pneumonia in older folks, not sure the numbers on that one.

Actually most of them are 90+%, flu is the only one that's not really good. And maybe pneumonia in older folks, not sure the numbers on that one.
You're correct, I was mainly thinking of the flu vaccine and misworded my post. Waking up from a 2 hour post-call nap lol.

• Haha

And the flu one is only lower for a pretty decent reason. And even so, it’s still 100% effective at reducing risk.

Reactions: 5 users
Every journal ****s up once in a while.

Then how do you tell which study is legitimate or not? Why is Russia getting criticized when the US messed up twice and had to retract papers and damaged the credibility of experts in an environment where antiscience sentiment was growing?

If serious reports of fraud or misconduct are raised over the Russia study, the skepticism is justified. But were there any?