When to start worrying about applying to HPSP, NHSC, etc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted675533

Hi,

I am applying this upcoming cycle and will hopefully be receiving interviews and acceptances later this year. When should I start meeting with recruiters, applying for thing, etc. I have quite a bit on my plate right now, so I've been putting that stuff off, but I'm wondering when would be a good time to start all that good stuff. Any ideas? Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't know much about HPSP (@Fets, @schmoob, @NavyDDS1990), but you apply for NHSC the spring prior to matriculation. So you would apply next spring if you want the 4 year. You can apply during dental school for a 3, 2 or 1 year. Make sure you take a look through their guidelines and have everything taken care of beforehand (letters, essays, etc.). They favor applicants from disadvantaged backgrounds, as far as I know from past applicants.

Good luck with your application! Good job being proactive.

Reactions: 3 users
Don't know much about HPSP (@Fets, @schmoob, @NavyDDS1990), but you apply for NHSC the spring prior to matriculation. So you would apply next spring if you want the 4 year. You can apply during dental school for a 3, 2 or 1 year. Make sure you take a look through their guidelines and have everything taken care of beforehand (letters, essays, etc.). They favor applicants from disadvantaged backgrounds, as far as I know from past applicants.

Good luck with your application! Good job being proactive.
It sounds like a good gig. They are very selective though. I didn't qualify because I had too many years of Active Duty service.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do not wait until october. The process takes a while.

If you're interested in the HPSP, contact a recruiter now. It's good just to start talking about it with them. I've heard that the Air Force selects sooner than the Navy. For the Navy, the early selection board (22+ DAT score) is in October/November depending on what the Navy feels is necessary. Not too sure about the Army, but I think their first board is after the Navy. I know more about the Navy than the other two.

It's a long process. You need letters of recommendation, you need to write a motivational statement, and you need to fill out all sorts of paperwork that will require you to meet with your recruiter on separate occasions. You also have to do interviews. One big holdup is MEPS. If your physical doesn't go smoothly like mine, you could end up back at MEPS two more times. You might have to track down medical records from places you haven't contacted in years. This makes for a difficult process if you are working full time or taking classes, so the earlier you can start, the better.

Reactions: 1 users
The HPSP application process will take you at least a couple months. Earlier you start, the better. I would recommend that you start talking to your local AMEDD recruiter in June-July for the 4-year HPSP.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi,

I am applying this upcoming cycle and will hopefully be receiving interviews and acceptances later this year. When should I start meeting with recruiters, applying for thing, etc. I have quite a bit on my plate right now, so I've been putting that stuff off, but I'm wondering when would be a good time to start all that good stuff. Any ideas? Thanks everyone!

June

Hello everyone.

If I applied to dental schools this cycle, is it too late to apply for the 4 year HPSP? I don't know much about HPSP so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

For Air Force 4-year HPSP...this spring. Apps were due in July this past year and you need time to complete them.