Where are my UCLA classmates (Class of 2009)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ecdoesit said:
the support guy is going to leave us this friday and the sch is not planning to hire a new guy to replace him.

There is another guy who will be taking Dave's place when he leaves. He knows SOE too, not as well as Dave, but he'll do just fine. SOE isn't that bad. It just takes some getting used to. Imagine if someone asked you to make spreadsheets on Excel without a manual. It takes some time to learn. 2nd years: you will probably freak out throughout this year when you realize you have no idea how to use SOE. Don't worry. You will learn as soon as you start seeing patients. Until then, there's no rush to figure it out. It's something you have to DO to understand. (Those training exercises don't cut it)

Members don't see this ad.

ziptree said:
tablet PCs are cool too, but i feel no real justification to spend that extra money for one...unless you're rich, which, by all means, get me one too. =)
... and thats all for my drunk/buzzed rambling of the day.

Humor for me at 8:24 in a Sunday morning.

fleisch said:
and have finished most everything we need to do except for the purchase of a new laptop (which I think I will wait till September to do), and the completion of the CPR class (Is anyone doing it in late August? Where?? Any tips on that?)

I haven't done my CPR either. Any suggestions on that?
Just wondering where you all are living, and if anyone would like to get together. Two of the guys I interviewed with both were accepted and I have been in touch with them as well, so we could make it a party! I live out in Brentwood, so I would love to have people over to my apt! :) Let me know, PM me if you want! Can't wait to meet all of you in Sept!:)
~Lauren~

I won't be going down till Weyburn opens up for me in Sept 1st. A party sounds cool.

By the way, I thought we don't need those teeth till winter quarter.

Members don't see this ad :)
drhobie7 said:
A car is essential in LA. Plus, you get a good deal on parking over there. $70/month I think.

Why is it so essential for dental students? Aren't we all nerds and study all the time and when there is time, we just go to the nearby bar?

Ugh. $70/month. That's a good deal? I thought that was some crazy price for a car that I don't imagine ever getting used. $70 would be the price of a roundtrip plane ticket to San "Jos-ie".

ecdoesit said:
get a rolling backpack! i said this many many times. then ur 20 lbs laptop wont be hurting u. hehe
"

What do you guys think about getting a bike with a big basket to carry all the stuff? Or, for the crazy hker's effect, how about if I get a hiking back pack? That may look dorky though.

ziptree said:
jk5177: hello Jason, my little sib.

heh.

Can't determine the tone behind a simple syllabic utter, that is "heh" So what does "heh" mean? Does it mean "heh, your screwed. UCLA is going to kick your butt." Or does it mean "heh, come on down, the water is great.

Or maybe it is the linguistic parallel of the the Knights of Nee. Like the knights of Nee. You have the dentists of Heh. Heh. Heh. Heh.

My damn computer can't add smilies.

jk5177 said:
Can't determine the tone behind a simple syllabic utter, that is "heh" So what does "heh" mean? Does it mean "heh, your screwed. UCLA is going to kick your butt." Or does it mean "heh, come on down, the water is great.

Or maybe it is the linguistic parallel of the the Knights of Nee. Like the knights of Nee. You have the dentists of Heh. Heh. Heh. Heh.

Ziptree, congrats on your lil sib! :laugh:

bbpower said:
ecdoesit + ziptree --> 2 bickering babies.. :smuggrin: Please steer away from them!! J/K!

I don't think they are that strict w/ the requirements. So long as you have the SOE system and a good antivirus program installed and working, you should be good to go. I'm not the type to bring my laptop to school often.. probably will when I start going into clinic more. So choose a laptop that makes you happy. :thumbup:

i love you too, kim! :love:

jk5177 said:

heh = heh, you'll wish you went somewhere else. =)

Nee! Nee! Nee! who remembers the fight where that one guy's arms and legs get cut off and he still tries to fight? fun times.

[edit]
oh, by the way, if you havent cared to check the other posts or whatever, or have forgotten already, my name is nick.

i dont like to study, i like to hang out, listen to loud music, and bother people when they study. i did not like fixed prosthodontics last quarter, but i DO enjoy long walks on the beach, romantic dinners and funny movies, as well as taking impressions and casting metals and stuff for lab.
[/edit]

[edit2]
this is what tina had to say about my post.
Tina * * **: you're such a dork
Tina * * **: you're like scarying jk
...so, in response...UCLA isnt so bad if you keep on top of things....for 4 years...straight. heh.

(* screen name edited to protect the innocent)
[/edit2]

atlanta478 said:
Ziptree, congrats on your lil sib! :laugh:

thanks....so, whats your name? ill see who your big sib is and ill give you the dirt on them. =p

jk....although...hm.... :smuggrin:

(yes, i know i've posted 3 times in a row...sue me)

drhobie7 said:
There is another guy who will be taking Dave's place when he leaves. He knows SOE too, not as well as Dave, but he'll do just fine. SOE isn't that bad. It just takes some getting used to. Imagine if someone asked you to make spreadsheets on Excel without a manual. It takes some time to learn. 2nd years: you will probably freak out throughout this year when you realize you have no idea how to use SOE. Don't worry. You will learn as soon as you start seeing patients. Until then, there's no rush to figure it out. It's something you have to DO to understand. (Those training exercises don't cut it)

yea, no kidding...all i did was post funny notes about classmates during the training exercises so everyone else could see them on their laptops and on the lab monitors. har har har.

i do realize that most of my posts are useless...but its saturday and im bored.

ziptree said:
thanks....so, whats your name? ill see who your big sib is and ill give you the dirt on them. =p

jk....although...hm.... :smuggrin:

(yes, i know i've posted 3 times in a row...sue me)

3 times in a row? I had 5! What can you expect? I was away for a week in Oregon, sniff sniff, missed my sdn, so... found everything interesting and posted five in a row.

Nick eh? I couldn't find Ziptree=Nick when I did my search; but your awesome stats is in there though. Also, your borderline dislike for the school. Heh. Heh. Heh.

ziptree said:
heh = heh, you'll wish you went somewhere else. =)

Nee! Nee! Nee! who remembers the fight where that one guy's arms and legs get cut off and he still tries to fight? fun times.
So are you saying that a dental student at UCLA is like that guy? In other words the dental students here are decapitated by the academic rigorousness, but still keeps on fighting quarter after quarter? Thus producing top notch leading dentists in the country? Heh. Heh. Heh.

Tina * * **: you're like scarying jk

(* screen name edited to protect the innocent)

ps. Thanks for not divulging my other info. Another innocent protected.

Members don't see this ad :)
jk5177 said:
So are you saying that a dental student at UCLA is like that guy? In other words the dental students here are decapitated by the academic rigorousness, but still keeps on fighting quarter after quarter? Thus producing top notch leading dentists in the country? Heh. Heh. Heh.

ps. Thanks for not divulging my other info. Another innocent protected.

lol...sometimes you'll wish you wont have any limbs....cuz then you'd be excused from lab work...yay! i heard it gets worse for us this year though, so i dont have much to complain about...sorry, im whiny....its not that bad first year, dont worry.

man, these little sib forms...they have every piece of information in the world about you guys! >:) muhahahahaha

Jason...
Welcome to the Class of 2009 at University of California -- Los Angeles, School of Dentistry.

ziptree said:
man, these little sib forms...they have every piece of information in the world about you guys! .

This is not true. Dont worry. We donno your GPA, stats, etc. People other than UCLA students, dont ask.

But I guess they did a fairly good job matching two you =)

mother's maiden name, favorite food, favorite drink, how many kids you want, how many you have, social security number, credit history...EVERYTHING!

this site is so funny. ziptree and ecdoesit are like good cop bad cop. if you guys met them in person, sometimes you'd think it's the other way around. i wonder if they'll continue to harass class of 2010

Hi everyone!

I haven't signed up for my CPR class, but I went onto the recommended site (www.ezcpr.com) and found a bunch in late August in Woodland Hills (about 10 miles from UCLA and about 5 from my house...hooray). Anyone see a day on there that they'd like to sign up for? I'm pretty much bumming around home from Aug. 14th until orientation, so I can go anytime...and I'm game for a get-together with anyone in LA after the 14th...heck, I'd even host a pool party at my house.

Has anyone received their financial aid notification yet?

Can't wait to find out who my big sib is.

See you all soon.

Why wait?
ASDA at UCLA is hosting a beach potlock next Saturday in Santa Monica.
Hey, Tina, are u in that organizing committee?
anyway, I will ask if you guys could come.
How many people would be interested?

I sure hope so. I used SOE at the Venice Clinic. It aint that bad, except you have to remember to check boxes and SAVE. I am sure my 4th year will take care of me.

Fixed Prosth makeup on wednesday night. wish me luck.

drhobie7 said:

jk5177 said:
Why is it so essential for dental students? Aren't we all nerds and study all the time and when there is time, we just go to the nearby bar?

Ugh. $70/month. That's a good deal? I thought that was some crazy price for a car that I don't imagine ever getting used. $70 would be the price of a roundtrip plane ticket to San "Jos-ie".

My first year I paid $150/month for parking in a private lot by IN N OUT. My car got dinged while it was there too -- $500 of damage. SWEET! Yeah, $70/month for gated underground parking is a fantastic deal, especially considering your pass also works at select UCLA lots on campus. You will want to get out of Westwood occasionally. Get away from the college kids. Go to the beach. Go to West Hollywood, Hollywood, wherever. LA is a driver's town.

ecdoesit said:
I sure hope so. I used SOE at the Venice Clinic. It aint that bad, except you have to remember to check boxes and SAVE. I am sure my 4th year will take care of me.

Fixed Prosth makeup on wednesday night. wish me luck.

Oh shoot, I never gave you any tips. Damn, I'm sorry. I've been crazy busy with prepping patients and hosting the Japanese students (which is sweet). If you have any specific questions you can PM me. Best advice I can give is to take 2 impressions of your prep and make 2 quadrant casts. You can do it while the first one is setting. That way if anything happens to the temp you can easily make another one. As for mixing the acrylic to the right consistency, I add monomer to powder, just enough to wet the powder all the way through. If you get air bubbles you could try making a small vent hole on a non-functional cusp tip (of the stent). I use a "circular saw-type" acrylic bur to slice through the interproximal areas when separating the temp from the cast. Mark the inside finish line of the temp with a pencil too. But if you just trim the outside to the proper contour you usually take off most of the excess. Interproximal contour is important too. If you need to add acrylic, add a lot instead of a little because the top layer loses monomer to evaporation, making it porous and crusty looking. If you add excess, you can grind this away and it reveals a nice smooth finish.

You'll do great.

cool fillings said:
Hi everyone!

I haven't signed up for my CPR class, but I went onto the recommended site (www.ezcpr.com) and found a bunch in late August in Woodland Hills (about 10 miles from UCLA and about 5 from my house...hooray).

I registered for the CPR class in LA on 8/8/05 at 6:30 PM. Thanks for the link, cool fillings.

I registered for 8/17/05 in Woodland Hills at 6:30. Hope to see someone there.

I registered for 8/28 in Glendale at 9am. Any takers?? :)

i signed up here: http://www.cpc.mednet.ucla.edu/SRRS/Programs/ProgramDetailUser.aspx

though $60, it saves the hassle of drive, cost of gas & maybe even parking.

for those who are still looking to buy a laptop, lenovo/ibm has a 10% student discount. they make among the best of laptops, though a bit expensive. 10% discount will cover taxes and more. i'll be picking up a 5lbs thinkpad t43. :D

gatszu said:
i signed up here: http://www.cpc.mednet.ucla.edu/SRRS/Programs/ProgramDetailUser.aspx

though $60, it saves the hassle of drive, cost of gas & maybe even parking.

for those who are still looking to buy a laptop, lenovo/ibm has a 10% student discount. they make among the best of laptops, though a bit expensive. 10% discount will cover taxes and more. i'll be picking up a 5lbs thinkpad t43. :D

FYI, the CPR classes at www.ezcpr.com are about $60 (including book). And are only for 4 hours long.

cool fillings said:
I registered for 8/17/05 in Woodland Hills at 6:30. Hope to see someone there.

Thanks for the info cool fillings! I signed up for the 8/17 class w/ you. I'll be heading from Marina del Rey so I can pick you up on the way if you would like.

Make sure your certification is for 2 years, not 1.

Does anyone know the course code we (first years) use for the parking application?

Many thanks.

parking code: CL401.06

btw, what laptops are you guys getting?? :D

Also,

FYI: 4 years extended warranty + 4 years damage protection are also available from Sony and Toshiba. You could just buy a laptop from best buy or compusa, then visit toshibadirect.com ($~467) or sonystlye.com ($440) to purchase the extended warranty + adp. so, you dont necessary have to get a dell, which i think is quality lacking, and not that cheap either.

I do recommend visiting bestbuy or compusa to check out laptops, if you see one you like, you can visit amazon and purchase one on there. tax free! will save you at least $100.

other things to consider in getting a laptop:
get a HD that's at least 5400RPM, 7200RPM is better. quite a few comes w/4200RPM, so app loading is a bit slow.

Pentium M 730+n10 (n=integer) is better than Pentium M 725+n5. the former is the latest intel mobile platform, and is ~30% faster than the latter.

smaller screen = longer lasting batteries.

watch out for small laptops, heat does not dissipate as well since components are closedly packed. some tend to over heat around the touchpad area, which could be verry annoying.

if you want a high quality laptop get an IBM Thinkpad T43 or an Xseries ultraportable laptop. The ibm student site offers 10-20% discount.
https://www-03.ibm.com/lenovo/shop/...+Q &maxid=usstudents&establish_cookie=true

on that site, click product & services at the top, thend click on t series express or x series express. those are the best value laptops. also, to purchase, call in and ask to purchase laptop as a business w/student discount, because in CA, 4yr Thinkpad Protection (accidental damange) is not available for consumers.

if you do get a dell, get a dell latitude, which gears toward business, and tend to be of higher quality than the inspiron.

also,

certification from the mednet cpr link i posted above is valid for 2 years as well, but the program is 6 hours.

gatszu said:
also,

certification from the mednet cpr link i posted above is valid for 2 years as well, but the program is 6 hours.

The longer the program, the more you hope to remember. =P

Ok, got the official word.

Class of 2009,
It is a pleasure to invite you guys to the first annaual southern california dental school beach potluck hosted by UCLA ASDA.

here is the detail:

The UCLA ASDA chapter invites you to a beach potluck we're hosting for all
three Southern California dental schools: UCLA, USC, and Loma Linda! It's
going to be a blast with good food, music, beach games, and the chance to
meet other dental students from So Cal!

When: Saturday, August 6th from 11a - 3p

Where: At the VERY end of OCEAN PARK BLVD in Santa Monica (take it all the
way to the ocean, make a left, then make an immediate right into the
parking
lot)

Why: Because who doesn't enjoy a beautiful day at the beach!

What to bring:

**Main or side dish**

Beach attire & beach games

A beach blanket, towel, or chair

Family!!!

We hope to see you there!

UCLA ASDA Beach Potluck Committee

ecdoesit said:
What to bring:

**Main or side dish**

Beach attire & beach games

A beach blanket, towel, or chair

Family!!!

Cool. Hmm...but missing something...can't put my finger on it. ;) I also suggest a post-event. If anyone wants to hang out later that night around the Main Street area (Circle, Mor, Bar Copa, Zanzibar, etc.), let me know.

We have a fixed practical and written midterm next week, so I assume people will want to start studying and practicing for it...unless they want to go to a Fixed Practical Party! yayay!!!!

Heh. But there are those who will still want to do something despite the fact they have stuff to study for ;) ...oh wait, too bad I'm underage. :eek:

Hey guys,

Has anyone received their financial aid packages, yet? When should we be expecting them?

P.S. Hope to see other 2009er's at the potluck!

Why would I miss the fixed party? I have been showing up for those many many time. Count on me for 100% attendance. Though I am worry about the written. Stupid me, scoring 50% on those quizzes. I might flunk that class.

Me going to venice clinic in the morning too. Perfect time to relax from studying and enjoy the sun.

And as for the financial aid, dont expect it to come. Student affairs is extremely understaffed. you will be fine cos most of us last yr(when they are staffed) wont get it till we began school anyway.

ziptree said:
We have a fixed practical and written midterm next week, so I assume people will want to start studying and practicing for it...unless they want to go to a Fixed Practical Party! yayay!!!!

Heh. But there are those who will still want to do something despite the fact they have stuff to study for ;) ...oh wait, too bad I'm underage. :eek:

I am just curious
my little sib emailed me and asking if anyone needs a roomate at weyburn.
pm me if you would like to have a classmate as your roomate.

I inquired about such an issue. All existing Weyburn housing spots have been filled by computer.

That's not to say apartments that don't have someone in them are full.

is this for real?

Dell Home has a new 40% off $999 coupon 71GRJ4ZVZMDWMJ for select Inspiron Laptops. The best deal is the Inspiron 6000 PM-1.60Ghz Laptop for $636 + $19 shipping. If you buy a $35 off $300 coupon off ebay, it drops your price further. Thanks Wammer.

Click here.
Minimize all options and update price.
Select the 512MB DDR2 SDRAM 1 Dimm [add $25 or $1/month1] option.
Click continue and select Musicmatch Jukebox Basic [subtract $20].
Check out and apply coupon code 71GRJ4ZVZMDWMJ for 40% off.
Specs:
Intel® Pentium® M Processor 725 (1.60 GHz/2MB Cache/400MHz FSB)
Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005
15.4 inch WXGA LCD Panel
512MB DDR2 SDRAM 2 Dimms
64MB DDR ATI's MOBILITY™ RADEON X300 PCI Express x16 Graphics
40GB Hard Drive
24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)
No productivity suite - Corel WordPerfect word processor only
Security Software No Security Subscription
Battery 6-cell Lithium Ion Battery (53 WHr)
Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options No Extended Service, Support or Ltd Warranty
Dell Color Printer 720 Free Dell Color Printer 720

Yea, why wouldn't it be?

=P

We got ripped off, bigtime.

I hope you all have fun at the Beach Potluck and made a few friends (and greatly promoted SDN) Thanks for coming. Sorry that the place is kinda hard to find at the beginnning. Did anyone take any pictures? want to share?

ziptree said:
Yea, why wouldn't it be?

=P

We got ripped off, bigtime.

I guarantee you got a better deal than my class. $2300 for a Gateway that is totally unreliable.

drhobie7 said:
I guarantee you got a better deal than my class. $2300 for a Gateway that is totally unreliable.

You win...

Oh, this is ziptree...I'm at a friend's place. =)

ecdoesit said:
I am just curious
my little sib emailed me and asking if anyone needs a roomate at weyburn.
pm me if you would like to have a classmate as your roomate.

I wonder if people have experience of have classmates as their roommates. Imagine seeing the same person from 8 to 5 and then 5 to 8. Sheesh.

ecdoesit said:
tablet is nice too. we have this guy using it. i think it is a great idea. costly, but money well spent.

there is no ideal laptop for UCLA. their lecture halls isnt designed to have 89(lecturer has 1 too) laptops running. Get extra batteries. i hope later on in the clinic, we will use our laptop.

So are there any other opinions on tablet pc's?
I've heard that they are nice for notetaking since one can simply write the notes right next to a powerpoint slide.

Also, what are the primary uses for laptop during the first year?

jk5177 said:
So are there any other opinions on tablet pc's?
I've heard that they are nice for notetaking since one can simply write the notes right next to a powerpoint slide.

Also, what are the primary uses for laptop during the first year?

Dude I would totally get one of those mini-laptops if I didn't already have a computer. You need all the space you can get in clinic. Go small, really small!