Where should I apply? 3.92 cGPA 511 MCAT URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deltaomegachi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA 3.92
sGPA 3.83-3.88 ish (quickly calculated)
511 MCAT
I'm a rising senior (hoping not to take a gap year, but let me know if I should strengthen my app more)

I'm a URM (black) & state school
400 hours volunteer tutoring in underserved community
250 hours volunteering/raising money for various cancer organizations
250 hours volunteering in clinical setting (internship, certified emt, and 2 medical service trips abroad)
160 shadowing hours
3 leadership positions within the same honors club throughout college
teaching assistant for a biology lab
teaching assistant for an upper level physiology course
student ally of the alumni association
1 short term semester position in a research lab
1 long term public health research position (1.5 years) but no publications
I had to work for an entire summer to raise money for school expenses, but my other summer was spent

I only have MD schools because no DO letter of recommendation.. do i stand a chance at these schools?

1. Penn State Hershey

2. Lewis Katz - Temple

3. Jefferson

4. Drexel University

5. Ohio State University

6. Georgetown University

7. Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine

8. Eastern Virginia Medical School

9. Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center (Chicago)

10. Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science

11. Tufts

12. Tulane

13. Hofstra

14. Einstein

15. USF Health Morsani

16. University of Miami Leonard M Miller

17. University of Florida

18. Florida International University

19. University of Central Florida

20. University of North Carolina

21. Wake Forest

22. University of Illinois College of Medicine

23. University of Cincinnati

24. Emory

25. Brown

26. Pitt

27. Michigan

28. Keck

29. Duke

30. Hopkins

31. Penn

32. harvard

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where is your state of residence? You are competitive for most private MD schools. You need to have a good balance of schools and apply broadly to at least 15 schools. Do you have any preference as to schools you are interested in?

Where is your state of residence? You are competitive for most private MD schools. You need to have a good balance of schools and apply broadly to at least 15 schools. Do you have any preference as to schools you are interested in?
I'm in Pennsylvania... would love to go to Duke, Emory, Pitt, or Cincinnatti. Worried because I didn't do as well as I hoped on MCATs :( I currently have 30, trying to get it down to 20 schools. Just nervous and feel as though I'm already late to the game (I submitted my application a week ago)

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely apply to Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Penn State, Commonwealth-Geisinger. You could receive interviews at Duke, Emory, Pitt and Cincinnati. You also are competitive for these schools if any interest you:
Boston University
Tufts
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Hofstra
GW
Georgetown
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane
Miami
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse

Hello @Faha

Sorry to bring up this old thread. I noticed some of the schools being recommended to have average stats out of op's league, namely NYU. I'm curious as to why a school like NYU might be a good fit for OP. I am in no way attempting to criticize OP, I have the EXACT same stats and a very similar list of ECs. I am a URM - Hispanic and have been hearing mixed advice on my school list due to having a high gpa/"low" mcat combo.

I'm hoping for the best for you, OP!

Thanks in advance!

Hello @Faha

Sorry to bring up this old thread. I noticed some of the schools being recommended to have average stats out of op's league, namely NYU. I'm curious as to why a school like NYU might be a good fit for OP. I am in no way attempting to criticize OP, I have the EXACT same stats and a very similar list of ECs. I am a URM - Hispanic and have been hearing mixed advice on my school list due to having a high gpa/"low" mcat combo.

I'm hoping for the best for you, OP!

Thanks in advance!
OP is URM (black) and those average stats are for all applicants. There is a shortage of physicians who practice in the African American communities which is why there is such an effort to recruit future URM physicians to serve those communities.

I'm in Pennsylvania... would love to go to Duke, Emory, Pitt, or Cincinnatti. Worried because I didn't do as well as I hoped on MCATs :( I currently have 30, trying to get it down to 20 schools. Just nervous and feel as though I'm already late to the game (I submitted my application a week ago)

Honestly you'll probably get into Pitt as long as you interview well. I am a PA resident, ORM BUT veteran so many schools view me like URM/stats boost. We have VERY similar stats (3.93 3.88 and 509) and I got accepted first round into Pitt. They definitely love PA residents even though they OFFICIALLY don't have a preference. I'd be surprised if you didn't get a pretty early II. Good luck and if you want any other advice or pointers on interviewing there feel free to PM me.