GenBe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am currently a German high school student and decided to pursue a career in medicine.
Due to personal circumstances and preferences, it would be my goal (dream) to practice medicine in the US.

As a result, I do have two options: studying medicine on a better-/well-known German university (e.g. Heidelberg, etc.) and applying to an US residency as an IMG or attending a college in the US for pre-med and trying to come into a medical school.

Against the second path would speak the difficulty to be admitted to a college and a medical school as an international student, especially I would need fully financial aid.

However, the option to study medicine in Germany makes it quite difficult to get into a residency, in particular because I am highly interested in surgical specialties like orthopedics, which are highly competitive and nearly impossible for IMG (or am I not well-informed about the chances?).
Furthermore, I also ask me how you are threaten as an IMG in the US and if you are able to make “career” as an IMG (I heard of lower salaries for IMGs, do you have any reliable informations about it?). And how will be the situation for IMGs in like ten years?
Thus, the German medical school would be totally cost-free for me.

In a nutshell: Should I rather go to German medical school and try to get into a residency with research activity (availability in Germany is questionable) and volunteering/extra-curriculars or pursue to go to US college and medical school with a lots of work and debts? Which path is more probably?

I appreciate the time you took to read my question.

Kind regards,
GeBe

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I am currently a German high school student and decided to pursue a career in medicine.
Due to personal circumstances and preferences, it would be my goal (dream) to practice medicine in the US.

As a result, I do have two options: studying medicine on a better-/well-known German university (e.g. Heidelberg, etc.) and applying to an US residency as an IMG or attending a college in the US for pre-med and trying to come into a medical school.

Against the second path would speak the difficulty to be admitted to a college and a medical school as an international student, especially I would need fully financial aid.

However, the option to study medicine in Germany makes it quite difficult to get into a residency, in particular because I am highly interested in surgical specialties like orthopedics, which are highly competitive and nearly impossible for IMG (or am I not well-informed about the chances?).
Furthermore, I also ask me how you are threaten as an IMG in the US and if you are able to make “career” as an IMG (I heard of lower salaries for IMGs, do you have any reliable informations about it?). And how will be the situation for IMGs in like ten years?
Thus, the German medical school would be totally cost-free for me.

In a nutshell: Should I rather go to German medical school and try to get into a residency with research activity (availability in Germany is questionable) and volunteering/extra-curriculars or pursue to go to US college and medical school with a lots of work and debts? Which path is more probably?

I appreciate the time you took to read my question.

Kind regards,
GeBe
How competitive is it in Germany to get a residency? Ideally you want to go to medical school here im the USA if you want to get into an American residency. Otherwise, as an FMG, you will find it harder to get into a competitive program. Primary care spots are easy for FMGs, but not sure about surgical specialties.

How competitive is it in Germany to get a residency? Ideally you want to go to medical school here im the USA if you want to get into an American residency. Otherwise, as an FMG, you will find it harder to get into a competitive program. Primary care spots are easy for FMGs, but not sure about surgical specialties.

Hello,

Finding a residency in Germany is really no problem since the physician shortage here. By the way: how good are the chances to get a medical license with a foreign residency?

Hello,

Finding a residency in Germany is really no problem since the physician shortage here. By the way: how good are the chances to get a medical license with a foreign residency?
Can you Viber or WhatsApp? Email? It is easier to talk vs txt this information. But short version, they will only give you an American medical license is if you complete your post graduate medical training in the USA, i.e., an American residency. Foreign doctors have to start all over if they want to practice medicine here.