This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AcornFactory

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Math is not my area. It never has been. Obviously I know I'll need to be proficient enough to succeed in physics, chem, and two semesters of "college level math" in order to get into most med schools; but I'm honestly not 100% clear on what qualifies as "college level". College algebra? Pre calc? Elementary stats?

I also still cannot decide how important it is that I complete a calculus course. I understand the value of calculus, but I also do not want to take a class that I run the risk of failing and bringing down my GPA. As far as I can tell, only a handful of allopathic schools explicitly require calculus. So it shouldn't be the end of the world if I don't take it, right?

Any advice you can give me regarding what path is necessary when it comes to math would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with Matthew9Thirtyfive. Just remember proficiency in math requires repetition. Virtually no one just "gets it" on the first try. Try and try again

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, while calculus is a great course that teaches critical thinking and is very helpful in understanding physics, it is not necessary for med school. You will be much better served taking a stats course.
Agreed