Which Texas schools calculates only Pre-Req GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dan Dan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any schools in Texas that base your GPA on just pre-reqs? I am about to graduate with a BS in Biology and was wondering since I have some non pre-req C's.

Members don't see this ad.

When you apply to TX schools most of them have something where you type in each individual pre-req course into a spreadsheet or something which then calculates your pre-req GPA. They probably do glance at your overall GPA when you send them your trascript, but I'm sure the deciding factor is your pre-req GPA and PCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that Texas Tech uses only the pre-req GPA when evaluating your application, but don't they look at all your coursework (transcripts) when "grading" you after the interview?

-5 points for D's, -10 points for F's, etc...

Or do they only subtract these points if you received D's or F's in the pre-req courses?

I know that Texas Tech uses only the pre-req GPA when evaluating your application, but don't they look at all your coursework (transcripts) when "grading" you after the interview?

-5 points for D's, -10 points for F's, etc...

Or do they only subtract these points if you received D's or F's in the pre-req courses?

I was a bit curious about that as well and when I asked about it before my interview, I was lead to believe it's in any course that a candidate has taken.

But after reading the 2005-2006 SOP candidate student handbook a little more closely, it seems that only pre-pharmacy grades in the previous 7 years are considered for the interview score deduction.

This is a copied and pasted excerpt from the PDF:

"Your interview score will be adjusted by subtracting 10 points (out of 100 points) for each F and 5 points for each D you have made previously in any of the pre-pharmacy course requirements if you made the D or F in a course taken within the last seven (7) years."