Why did you choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VeterinaryLover

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why did you choose to study Veterinary Medicine over other educational opportunities?
(Why did you choose to become a Vet?)

I chose to become a Vet. b/c I believe that I can make a change in the medical field. I also want to build more shelters for animals that are forced to live on the streets b/c there owners don't want them any more, or b/c there owners can not handle them any more.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you asking us why we chose vet med or to critique your answer?

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm fascinated with science. i wanted to learn all i could about the science of healing. i love animals and want to make their lives better.

i grew in a family/culture that viewed vet medicine as absurd and who also didn't care for the welfare of any animals...so i chose vet med because I wanted to educate people with the same mentality and also provide vet care to those animals that are facing similar realities...

Is this one of those cliche questions that we'll be asked during our interview(s)? :D

Unfortunately, I think I have one of those cliche answers that interviewers hear too often...

As a little girl, I was fascinated with the care of horses--everyday care, training, and medical care. My mom had decades of horse magazines in the cabinet that I read religiously. (We had horses while I was young, then none for a while, and then got horses again not long before I entered high school). Eventually, I had my own subscriptions to horse magazines, and when I took Ag classes and got involved in FFA, that fascination extended to other livestock. In high school, I wanted to be a Vet, and then I was discouraged by a teacher (although he probably didn't mean to do so) by his stories of how difficult it is to find a job after getting your DVM. I really went through years of limbo, not knowing exactly what I wanted to do, after that. I knew I loved science and that I wanted to be in the science field, but not much more than that. It took a conversation with a co-worker about how their child was planning to become an equine vet to remind me of my passion for the field. It was at that point that I said to myself, "Yes, that is what I want to do with my life!" And now I am determined! Of course, now my interest has broadened a little bit, and while I'm still a little more passionate about livestock and especially horses, I want to vet small animals as well. This is where my heart is...I have no real "I *need* to help animals" sort of feelings...I just know that I will be a Vet because it's my calling.

Edited to add that the last part of this post *did not* come out sounding the way I meant it to. Ugh. Guess that's what happens when I hurry to finish a post... Anyway, I think what I meant was that I am not romanticizing the 'helping animals' thing. I understand that will be my job: to do what is best for each animal. I know it's going to be hard, hard work. So I'm not giddy about the career, but I'm focused on my career goal. *sigh* I know, this response was much too long. But I've never sat down and articulated everything in writing, so I expect that is why I'm having such a difficult time articulating it now. I know why I want to be a vet...now I just have to figure how to make others know why. :)

I'm sorry for my bloviating...

I was really torn between what I wanted to do for my first two years of high school. I really wanted to go into medicine but I really wanted to have a career with animals. And I knew vet was a hard thing to get into so I looked through all other possibilities for a career choice. But in the end... vet was the perfect choice.

I was surprised that I was not asked this question.