Wisconsin c/o 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

breenie

Weenie 2015
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I figured it made sense to start our thread now, since the supplemental just came out this week. :)

How's it going for everyone?

Members don't see this ad.

Not touching it till T'Giving break. I see it's asking for parental info, so that's going to be an issue for me.

Yeah, they sure require a lot of information... :O

Members don't see this ad :)
Not touching it till T'Giving break. I see it's asking for parental info, so that's going to be an issue for me.

Is there even any benefit of turning them in earlier? It asks for an update on your experiences, so I thought I'd just wait until closer to the deadline, that way I would have more to add. Meh. :/

Just took a look at the supplemental this morning -- I'm going to wait until pretty close to the deadline to submit mine just to add every last little bit of current information that I can. I'm lucky enough to have completed my M.S. thesis between submission of VMCAS and now, so I'll have that (and only that) to add unless something new pops up. Where does Wisconsin rank on everybody's list of schools? It's far and away #1 on my list, mainly based on its research reputation. I'm curious if I'm unique in this manner...anybody care to chime in?

Are they rolling applications? I'm assuming they aren't but that would definitely change my decision on how soon I am going to get it done!

I submitted mine yesterday, wanted to get it done so it wouldn't hang over my head.

Is there even any benefit of turning them in earlier? It asks for an update on your experiences, so I thought I'd just wait until closer to the deadline, that way I would have more to add. Meh. :/

I think that's a good idea. There's no advantage to completing it early other than just to get it done. I won't have anything to add. I just want to wait until break so I have more time.

Where does Wisconsin rank on everybody's list of schools? It's far and away #1 on my list, mainly based on its research reputation. I'm curious if I'm unique in this manner...anybody care to chime in?

It's very high on my list. The only things that concern me are 1) I'm not a city person, and 2) it's COLD! :eek:

Are they rolling applications? I'm assuming they aren't but that would definitely change my decision on how soon I am going to get it done!

Nope.

It's very high on my list. The only things that concern me are 1) I'm not a city person, and 2) it's COLD! :eek:

Madison is more of a... town. You can drive 15 minutes from campus and be knee deep in cow poop. :) Don't let the whole "state capitol" thing fool you.

Nope.

Madison is more of a... town. You can drive 15 minutes from campus and be knee deep in cow poop.

That sounds fabulous! I will gladly commute 15-20 minutes to campus if I can live where it's rural. But then..how's the parking at the vet school?

That sounds fabulous! I will gladly commute 15-20 minutes to campus if I can live where it's rural. But then..how's the parking at the vet school?

Parking is horrendous on campus... but there are lots of tricks and was to get around it! ;)

Parking is horrendous on campus... but there are lots of tricks and was to get around it! ;)

Well, that doesn't sound too good. If I get an acceptance, I'll have to go and check it out before I make a decision. I don't want to fight over parking. If I'm deciding between multiple offers (HA! Don't I wish!), the lack of adequate parking would be a deal breaker for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, that doesn't sound too good. If I get an acceptance, I'll have to go and check it out before I make a decision. I don't want to fight over parking. If I'm deciding between multiple offers (HA! Don't I wish!), the lack of adequate parking would be a deal breaker for me.

I don't think it should be. Plenty of people live off campus, drive, and manage just fine. I lived in the dorms my freshman year that are about a block from the vet school, and I would park my car illegally in the lots next to the dorm. I probably got 1-2 tickets/month, which probably averaged out to $30-$40/month. It was cheaper than paying for parking anywhere.

You can park in Eagle Heights and take one of the free buses in, or park in other places on the bus line and hop in. Or bike. I don't think parking should really be a dealbreaker!

I probably got 1-2 tickets/month, which probably averaged out to $30-$40/month. It was cheaper than paying for parking anywhere.

This is hilarious, I've never heard of any one doing this before! Those are some cheap parking tickets...

This is hilarious, I've never heard of any one doing this before! Those are some cheap parking tickets...

I park without a pass a lot when I have meetings and the like. Our tickets here usually run about $50. I haven't gotten caught/ticketed yet, but I figure by the time I do I will probably owe way more than $50 in parking fees anyway (you can pay by the hour through a machine that prints you out a temporary pass) so I consider it well worth the risk.

Wisconsin is my IS and the only school I applied to. In addition, I have absolutely nothing to add to the supplemental besides working at the same job I have. :(

I would not worry about parking on campus at all. When I was doing undergrad there I got my motorcycle license and drove that into campus. The motorcycle passes are only $80/year i think and there are tons of spots available. Yes, it doesn't work out real well in winter, but I drove it into December and started up again as soon as the snow was off the roads. It would be really easy to park somewhere for free and take the bus in for the wintertime or whatever though.

Also, the bus system is excellent and that is how most people get to school.

"What did you list as your first/second career choice in your VMCAS essay?"

Um. Did I miss something? I don't remember anywhere on the VMCAS where we listed 1st/2nd career choices. Obviously in the PS, we talk about what area we are interested in, but I sure didn't talk about a 2nd area.

What is Wisconsin talking about here?

Um. Did I miss something? I don't remember anywhere on the VMCAS where we listed 1st/2nd career choices. Obviously in the PS, we talk about what area we are interested in, but I sure didn't talk about a 2nd area.

I feel ya, I was thinking the same thing when I read that question. I was thinking of just putting the career choices that go along with what I talked about in my essay. For example, I'm doing a MPH so I guess I'll say that public health vet is my first choice and then I have a lot of SA experience so I guess I'll say that SA vet is my second choice.

If anyone else has any insight, please share!

Yeah, I only had one area that I talked about in my PS, so for the 2nd choice I just picked one that was closest to my 1st choice.

I don't think it really matters, they just want to track what people say they want to do when they apply and compare it to what they actually do when they are done with school.

I don't think it really matters, they just want to track what people say they want to do when they apply and compare it to what they actually do when they are done with school.

That was my thought as well, but the way they worded the question made me wonder if I'd had a brain fart when filling out the VMCAS b/c I couldn't remember ranking career choices.

That freaked me out too! For my first choice, I picked what I had the most experience in, and then for my second I picked behavioral medicine because I talked about a story in my PS about clicker training.

I'm glad that other people were confused by that too - I mean, not glad people were confused, but glad that I wasn't alone :) No one else at my school is applying to vet school (I go to a tiny liberal arts school), so I'm glad I found this forum and can see what other people are thinking too!

Yeah that was something that confused me for a second. I ended up opening up my VMCAS application and saw in my personal statement I mentioned what career choice I was leaning towards, so I just plugged that in. Just another bit of information they need two different times I guess...

Submitted my supplemental this morning after re-reading my essays for the last week. Good to have it in and no longer on my list of things to worry about. In fact, all my supplementals are in -- so now the real hardcore waiting begins. Does anybody know when Wisconsin's admissions decisions start to roll in?

I'm not sure if they've changed things, but my year people heard mid to late February (starting with OOSers).

I hope it's earlier, but I'm just going by the email they sent....

"Thank you for submitting your supplemental application to the University of Wisconsin, School of Veterinary Medicine on Sunday, November 28, 2010 at 4:24:44 PM......

We will be informing you of the status of your admission by the end of March 2011."

Good call. I recommend assuming you'll hear in late March so that you'll be pleasantly surprised if you hear before that.

I'm not sure if they've changed things, but my year people heard mid to late February (starting with OOSers).

I heard in early February last year (which I only remember since I was flying back from other interviews when I got the call) :) I'm OOS, so it was a phone call.

I heard in early February last year (which I only remember since I was flying back from other interviews when I got the call) :) I'm OOS, so it was a phone call.

Wow -- they do their OOS acceptances by phone? Is that the case for everyone? So now I'll need to have a heart attack not only every time I see a postal worker or get an email, but also when my phone does (or, sadly, does not) ring? Lovely.

Oh man, a phone call! I can imagine so many students having to hold back one of those classic "congrats-radio-caller-you-just-won-two-tickets-to-hawaii" high pitched squeals.

They only do a portion of the OOSers via phone call. Not sure how they decide.

Are ISers by email or letter? I want to scream on the phone. :(

Got my application in! Now the waiting game...

Haven't touched the supplemental yet... life's been crazy. Not that it shows any sign of slowing down until, oh, Christmas maybe? lol.

On the experience section, if you accepted a job or internship for the spring, would you mention it - or only mention things you've experienced since October? I don't have classes in the spring and have quite a few nomadic things up my sleeve, just didn't know if it was appropriate to list them or not.

Haven't touched the supplemental yet... life's been crazy. Not that it shows any sign of slowing down until, oh, Christmas maybe? lol.

On the experience section, if you accepted a job or internship for the spring, would you mention it - or only mention things you've experienced since October? I don't have classes in the spring and have quite a few nomadic things up my sleeve, just didn't know if it was appropriate to list them or not.

I'd list them. There's no specific format for the section so you might as well fill it up with information that'll make you sound more appealing! Just make sure to really detail what you'll be doing in that job or internship since you haven't actually started it yet.

I have a question regarding the "Family Section". At the bottom of the page it reads: "To be completed by students claiming residence for tuition purposes based on employment under Wisconsin statutes 36.27(2)(cm)." So, I interpret that as meaning I only need to fill out that section if I am claiming residency. Is that right?

I have a question regarding the "Family Section". At the bottom of the page it reads: "To be completed by students claiming residence for tuition purposes based on employment under Wisconsin statutes 36.27(2)(cm)." So, I interpret that as meaning I only need to fill out that section if I am claiming residency. Is that right?

Yes, correct. OOSers need not fill that in.

OOS need not fill in the entire page or just the question under the "To be completed by students claiming residence for tuition purposes based on employment under Wisconsin statutes 36.27(2)(cm)." ?

OOS need not fill in the entire page or just the question under the "To be completed by students claiming residence for tuition purposes based on employment under Wisconsin statutes 36.27(2)(cm)." ?

Just that one question in the drop-down menu below. If you're trying to claim exemption from non-resident tuition based on what's laid out in the linked Wisconsin statutes, you'd answer that. I believe it only applies to applicants that have lived in the state for less than a year for employment purposes before applying to the vet school.

Just that one question in the drop-down menu below. If you're trying to claim exemption from non-resident tuition based on what's laid out in the linked Wisconsin statutes, you'd answer that. I believe it only applies to applicants that have lived in the state for less than a year for employment purposes before applying to the vet school.

Thanks!... that's what I thought/did already.

Hey guys! First post (though I've been reading this thing for years...) So this may be a dumb question, but some of you are saying you have "nothing to add" to the supplemental. I find myself in a similar predicament (mainly for the "other experience" section--as if I have time to do anything else besides improve my application for vet school at the moment..) does that mean you can just leave those parts blank? I really cannot think of anything that I've experienced since October that is actually tangible and not related to vet med. Any help?

It should be okay to leave it blank if you haven't done anything since. I just wrote a quick sentence saying I didn't have the time with school and extra-curriculars to get more experience and that I was planning some experience for my winter break.

Thanks so much! I just wrote a little statement about how I've been working on veterinary/research and had not gained other experiences or employment since October. She's submitted! Now to pretend it never happened and I don't know anything about applying to vet school until MARCH. Ulgh! :)

This might be a strange question but...

It asks about what made you choose a career in veterinary medicine...

I am like many in that it has been a desire since childhood but I chose to go into business during undergrad, so I am a non-trad now going back to try to get into vet school. Do you think it sounds weird for me to put childhood desire even though I did my undergrad in business?

This might be a strange question but...

It asks about what made you choose a career in veterinary medicine...

I am like many in that it has been a desire since childhood but I chose to go into business during undergrad, so I am a non-trad now going back to try to get into vet school. Do you think it sounds weird for me to put childhood desire even though I did my undergrad in business?

Quit worrying about how it sounds or what they want to hear, and just put down the truth! :)