You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Wisconsin c/o 2015
Started by breenie
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
It was a little more difficult to press the "submit button" than I thought it would be. DONE!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Finally submitted my Wisconsin supplemental! Now there really are no more vet school applications to do!
Seriously! But now I don't have anything left to procrastinate on... Haha.
Hey guys! I figured it made sense to start our thread now, since the supplemental just came out this week. 🙂
How's it going for everyone?
Hello, Ohio resident here. Just checking in on UW's thread. Sending good vibes to everyone!
-Tom
I got sooooo excited when I saw this thread with a post on it, I agree. 😛
Ahahaha, me too! I would think you would hear back much earlier, considering they don't even interview... oh well!
Man... OOS tuition for UW-Madison is wayyyy cheaper than my IS tuition at Davis. Lame! :/
Man... OOS tuition for UW-Madison is wayyyy cheaper than my IS tuition at Davis. Lame! :/
Does anyone know why this is? I understand that the high tuition at vet schools reflects the need to maintain top facilities, animal care, etc. I also know that Madison is an excellent school, its just confusing that their tuition would be so much less, esp. for OOS students.
Does anyone know why this is? I understand that the high tuition at vet schools reflects the need to maintain top facilities, animal care, etc. I also know that Madison is an excellent school, its just confusing that their tuition would be so much less, esp. for OOS students.
Don't question it. Just be thankful for it.
Does anyone know why this is? I understand that the high tuition at vet schools reflects the need to maintain top facilities, animal care, etc. I also know that Madison is an excellent school, its just confusing that their tuition would be so much less, esp. for OOS students.
I think that high tuition could also mean they are struggling financially, so they pass the debt along to the students. Apparently Penn is increasing the number of OOS students because they'll get more money. I hear great things about Madison (the school and the town), and being ranked #5 (or 8 depending if you factor in ties or not), it sounds like a great value!
Huh? What?! Why is this up here? I got excited hoping people were hearing back about something! This is my last school to get information from... Aaagghhh hurry up!!!!!
Huh? What?! Why is this up here? I got excited hoping people were hearing back about something! This is my last school to get information from... Aaagghhh hurry up!!!!!
JollyBlueJay4 - I know, right?? I really wish I would hear SOMETHING back soon!! I thought I read somewhere that we should hear back by March. Anybody else hear differently?
I recently did a tour of Madison Vet School with my college's prevet club and the lady told me that you should hear from them mid to late February and that they just tell you March in case everyone got sick and it was pushed back. Good luck everyone!JollyBlueJay4 - I know, right?? I really wish I would hear SOMETHING back soon!! I thought I read somewhere that we should hear back by March. Anybody else hear differently?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The school is well-known for Dairy Science, but I've heard mixed things about the vet school. I spent several months tagging along with an equine vet (who used to be a dairy vet) and she claimed she received little large-animal training at Wisconsin. That being said, my heart about exploded when I saw this thread bumped. Ha!
I have been turned down by 4/5 so far🙁 I have the fingers crossed now! Is this school well-known for dairy science? CONGRATS PACKERS!
Yes, the undergraduate/graduate programs for dy sci are pretty solid. The vet school sees cattle and has a dairy teaching herd, but some folks complain you don't actually do a ton with cattle. Many people who haven't had much LA experience prior to vet school say that they don't feel much more confident after vet school. Just throwin' in 2 cents from a local.
The vet school sees cattle and has a dairy teaching herd, but some folks complain you don't actually do a ton with cattle. Many people who haven't had much LA experience prior to vet school say that they don't feel much more confident after vet school. Just throwin' in 2 cents from a local.
This surprises me because fourth years can take elective clinical rotations in mastitis, fresh cow work and advanced dairy records.
http://www.vetmed.wisc.edu/data/dvm_curriculum_course_digest.pdf
This surprises me because fourth years can take elective clinical rotations in mastitis, fresh cow work and advanced dairy records.
http://www.vetmed.wisc.edu/data/dvm_curriculum_course_digest.pdf
It's likely those folks don't take them.
I think vet school experience is what you make of it. Wisconsin has lots of opportunities for gaining large animal experience, you just have to participate in them. We have large animal supportive care electives, the bovine and equine clubs are very active, we vaccinated buffalo, goats, do nerve blocks, and lots of other things I haven't participated in due to lack of time to do everything. As first years we have a physical exam class once a week at our teaching herd learning how to restrain, interact, give PEs, and I don't know what else yet since we're not that far along. Plus the large animal part of the teaching hospital is very welcoming every time I go down to shadow a fourth year and get my VMTH sheet filled out or for large animal grand rounds. Yes there is a lot for the small animal people, but there is just as much for the large animal people also, you just need to take the initiative and participate.
I spent several months tagging along with an equine vet (who used to be a dairy vet) and she claimed she received little large-animal training at Wisconsin.
Did she happen to mention how is was for equine?
That being said, my heart about exploded when I saw this thread bumped. Ha!
I know!! It's getting to the point where it could be any day and the littlest things make me freak out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by awaring1
Did she happen to mention how is was for equine?
She didn't. She had received advice from her mentor, an equine vet himself, that if she were to go into equine medicine she would no longer enjoy her own horses. Not wanting that to happen, she pursued swine/dairy instead. Eventually she decided to go against his advice and start her own equine-only practice. 🙂 Keep in mind, though, her experience was 10+ years ago. The vet school has grown and changed since then. I work in the animal science department and I get the impression from some faculty members and students that the vet school is overwhelmingly small animal, and it irritates them.
Personally, I'd listen to those that are already vet students. 😀
Originally Posted by awaring1
Did she happen to mention how is was for equine?
She didn't. She had received advice from her mentor, an equine vet himself, that if she were to go into equine medicine she would no longer enjoy her own horses. Not wanting that to happen, she pursued swine/dairy instead. Eventually she decided to go against his advice and start her own equine-only practice. 🙂 Keep in mind, though, her experience was 10+ years ago. The vet school has grown and changed since then. I work in the animal science department and I get the impression from some faculty members and students that the vet school is overwhelmingly small animal, and it irritates them.
Personally, I'd listen to those that are already vet students. 😀
I think vet school experience is what you make of it. Wisconsin has lots of opportunities for gaining large animal experience, you just have to participate in them. We have large animal supportive care electives, the bovine and equine clubs are very active, we vaccinated buffalo, goats, do nerve blocks, and lots of other things I haven't participated in due to lack of time to do everything. As first years we have a physical exam class once a week at our teaching herd learning how to restrain, interact, give PEs, and I don't know what else yet since we're not that far along. Plus the large animal part of the teaching hospital is very welcoming every time I go down to shadow a fourth year and get my VMTH sheet filled out or for large animal grand rounds. Yes there is a lot for the small animal people, but there is just as much for the large animal people also, you just need to take the initiative and participate.
I'd like to second everything Fenlie said. There are quite a few food animal people and equine people in my class, and there are tons of opportunities to learn as much as you want about either.
Update from Wisconsin— first I've heard from them since I submitted my application!
"This message is to provide you with an update on the progress of the admission decisions. Our admissions committee is in the process of selecting the class. We plan to notify you of the committee's decision by late February. "
"This message is to provide you with an update on the progress of the admission decisions. Our admissions committee is in the process of selecting the class. We plan to notify you of the committee's decision by late February. "
They totally just gave me a heart attack with that message. I first read it as "you have been chosen for the class of 2015" instead of "we are pleased that you have chosen to apply for the class of 2015." Holy guacamole.
They totally just gave me a heart attack with that message. I first read it as "you have been chosen for the class of 2015" instead of "we are pleased that you have chosen to apply for the class of 2015." Holy guacamole.
Same here, BAD Wisconsin! "we are Pleased" should be reserved for acceptances/interview offers.
They totally just gave me a heart attack with that message. I first read it as "you have been chosen for the class of 2015" instead of "we are pleased that you have chosen to apply for the class of 2015." Holy guacamole.
I did the same thing!! And the waiting game continues

I feel the same way!
It's better than one rejection letter I got. It said something along the lines of "Thank-you for your interest in our school! We have reviewed the applicants and have determined who we would like to invite for an interview annnnnnd.... you are not one of them." Way to raise my hopes only to crush them. 🙄
It's better than one rejection letter I got. It said something along the lines of "Thank-you for your interest in our school! We have reviewed the applicants and have determined who we would like to invite for an interview annnnnnd.... you are not one of them." Way to raise my hopes only to crush them. 🙄
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did they send those in email or snail mail?
evil, evil email. my heart is pounding like crazy.
Did they send those in email or snail mail?
Via email
Via email
Hmm... I did not get this email. Now I'm a little nervous that they didn't receive all my materials or something, or that they only sent them to the top applicants to put their foot in the door so you don't accept a spot somewhere else. This process sure makes ya paranoid, doesn't it?
Hmm... I did not get this email. Now I'm a little nervous that they didn't receive all my materials or something, or that they only sent them to the top applicants to put their foot in the door so you don't accept a spot somewhere else. This process sure makes ya paranoid, doesn't it?
The main purpose of the email was to confirm that they had the correct mailing address that they could send their decision letters to.
I heard that in past years they gave phone calls to accepted students.
So maybe you didn't get one because they know they will be calling you and don't need to confirm your address.
Positive thoughts 🙂
I can speak for it not being a top applicant thing. I am definitley on the low end for them and I got it. I'd check your spam filter.or that they only sent them to the top applicants to put their foot in the door so you don't accept a spot somewhere else.
This, x1000This process sure makes ya paranoid, doesn't it?
I can speak for it not being a top applicant thing. I am definitley on the low end for them and I got it. I'd check your spam filter.
Same here. I mean, I have confidence in myself but considering they accept so few out of state students if I was considered a "top applicant" I would be all like 😱 😕 and then like 👍
I heard that in past years they gave phone calls to accepted students.
So maybe you didn't get one because they know they will be calling you and don't need to confirm your address.
I believe they only call accepted OOS applicants and then mail letters to accepted IS and rejected OOS and IS. For the past two years accepted OS have received calls a week earlier than IS received their acceptance letters. Big envelope = accepted and small envelope = rejected.
I'm so anxious, I can't wait any longer!

Same here. I mean, I have confidence in myself but considering they accept so few out of state students if I was considered a "top applicant" I would be all like 😱 😕 and then like 👍
20 is "so few"? 😕
20 is "so few"? 😕
They say "10-20" so 20 is on the high end. Even if we can reasonably say 15, yes, I feel like that is a small number. Unless not that many OOS students apply, which I highly doubt. And from their website "Weight will be given to qualified applicants who possess characteristics that are underrepresented in the profession." I doubt being a white female will help me there...
So yeah. I don't hold high hopes for UWM, even though it is my #1 choice. 🙁
They say "10-20" so 20 is on the high end. Even if we can reasonably say 15, yes, I feel like that is a small number. Unless not that many OOS students apply, which I highly doubt. And from their website "Weight will be given to qualified applicants who possess characteristics that are underrepresented in the profession." I doubt being a white female will help me there...
So yeah. I don't hold high hopes for UWM, even though it is my #1 choice. 🙁
Don't call us UWM! That's Milwaukee! 😉
From what is drilled into us Sconnies, 60 of the 80 seats are reserved for us, leaving ~20 up for grabs. Don't give up hope-- they go through the waitlist a bit, too. 🙂
Don't call us UWM! That's Milwaukee! 😉
woopsies. Is "UW Madison" correct? I usually just refer to is as "Madison" when I am talking about it to people.
woopsies. Is "UW Madison" correct? I usually just refer to is as "Madison" when I am talking about it to people.
Yeah. 🙂 UW Milwaukee, UW Whitewater, UW River Falls, etc are the "smaller" UW's, and kind of like our version of a state school. Madison is the "big" UW, so people often call it just UW or Madison.
For some Wisconsin themed fun, I give you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zGcQCtFlENA
They say "10-20" so 20 is on the high end. Even if we can reasonably say 15, yes, I feel like that is a small number. Unless not that many OOS students apply, which I highly doubt. And from their website "Weight will be given to qualified applicants who possess characteristics that are underrepresented in the profession." I doubt being a white female will help me there...
So yeah. I don't hold high hopes for UWM, even though it is my #1 choice. 🙁
I think last year they took around 15-20 OOS students and told us at the accepted student visit that there were 750+ applicants for those spots. Ooof.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got a call saying i got in. 608 area code.
...chance it was an elaborate prank by someone i've wronged: 47%
...chance it was an elaborate prank by someone i've wronged: 47%
Just got a call saying i got in. 608 area code.
...chance it was an elaborate prank by someone i've wronged: 47%
😱
Compulsive checking of phone beginning in 3...2...1...
Just got a call saying i got in. 608 area code.
...chance it was an elaborate prank by someone i've wronged: 47%
Congrats!By "just called" do you mean at 9:00pm-ish? That seems odd.
But congrats are in order! Send some of that luck over to NY!
It was about 6:30 pst.
good luck.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 590