Wisconsin c/o 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so I'd take a deep breath and chill.

Impossible, haha.

I am supposed to visit my boyfriend this weekend but I may have to alter my plans if that means I would miss the letter coming on Saturday. I don't think i could handle the weekend knowing it could be in my mailbox!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm actually in the same city as the school and I didn't get it until today, so I'd take a deep breath and chill..at least until tomorrow! haha

Easy for you to say, you already have your letter! :p

Impossible, haha.

I am supposed to visit my boyfriend this weekend but I may have to alter my plans if that means I would miss the letter coming on Saturday. I don't think i could handle the weekend knowing it could be in my mailbox!

I know how you feel! My boyfriend went to Iowa this week and wanted me to go with him (wooo IOWA! lol) and while I typically jump at any chance to escape the doldrums, I just couldn't do it knowing the letter would come. And it came, and I'm so happy! But I have no friends in this city and he's gone sooo...I'm on SDN instead of celebrating. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I made a Facebook group so that 2015 folks can get to know one another. Please join! We'll be getting to know one another really well over the next 4 years. Why not start now?

Here's the link:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_195355973821463

I made the group closed to keep out the random weirdos. But since I don't know any of you I'm going to approve anyone who requests so I guess it doesn't matter. haha! Excited to meet everyone!

I know how you feel! My boyfriend went to Iowa this week and wanted me to go with him (wooo IOWA! lol) and while I typically jump at any chance to escape the doldrums, I just couldn't do it knowing the letter would come. And it came, and I'm so happy! But I have no friends in this city and he's gone sooo...I'm on SDN instead of celebrating. :laugh:
so is that how ya'll up north view us in Iowa...maybe if wisconsin would learn something from us here in Iowa, wisconsin wouldn't be in the mess its in right now. j/k I love madison, but seriously ya'll are in a messy situation.

so is that how ya'll up north view us in Iowa...maybe if wisconsin would learn something from us here in Iowa, wisconsin wouldn't be in the mess its in right now. j/k I love madison, but seriously ya'll are in a messy situation.

Hahaha No offense of any kind was meant by my post! I would have gone if there wasn't a letter on its way! I swear! And I would have been EXCITED!

And yeah, like I said in the protest thread, I'm pretty neutral to the situation, except that the protestors are hogging the parking! But yeah, hopefully something comes from it soon?

I never in my life thought I would say this but...

Iowa = :love:

I never in my life thought I would say this but...

Iowa = :love:

I had no idea Iowa was only 3 hours away from me until my bf had clients there. Who knew?

Out of curiosity (and maybe for the next trip!) why do you love it?

I had no idea Iowa was only 3 hours away from me until my bf had clients there. Who knew?

Out of curiosity (and maybe for the next trip!) why do you love it?

I only visited Ames, which was a really cool place. Also, I had a lot of low expectations coming in because, well, it was Iowa. Once I got there I was pleasently surprised. The people were all waaaaay nicer than in the Northeast. I grew up in a very rural area surrounded by cows and corn and I love the country. (I appriceate cities but I love my privacy and I hate suburbs) Iowa had some amazing old barns and really cool open farmland. In my area all of the old barns are falling apart and not in use any more so it was really cool to see historical farms up and working.

Also, I am on the OOS alternate list for ISU.

How did they notify you of your wait list status? Sorry you're not feeling good about your chances. I hope you are pleasantly surprised!

small envelope, snail mail. thanks! I hope so too :)

and thanks thedogisgreen, i didnt realize the waitlists could move so much. yayy for hope

good luck to everyone else who havent gotten their letters yet! I live in Ohio and I got mine yesterday...had my friend read it to me while I lay in bed sick with strep throat or whatever I have. haha great day.

I got my itty bitty rejection letter yesterday and I live in Oregon...maybe the bigger packages take longer? I honestly don't feel too bad about being rejected when 976 other applicants were vying for the 20 OOS spots. I mean, that's almost 50 applicants for every spot. Crazy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected.

Awwww, shoot. I'm so sorry to hear that :( Especially since you seemed so excited to come here! Hope Iowa turns out well for you--and you DO have Dublin, even though it makes things crappy with your s/o.

Awwww, shoot. I'm so sorry to hear that :( Especially since you seemed so excited to come here! Hope Iowa turns out well for you--and you DO have Dublin, even though it makes things crappy with your s/o.

Aww thanks! Wisconsin was my #1 pick, but I also knew how few OOS people they took and my stats aren't stellar so I wasn't surprised. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ISU as well. Congrats on your acceptance though!

Can you tell me anything about the equine caseload at UW? And also, does the curriculum allow for any clinical experience in the first year? Lastly, do you feel like you're getting a good education there?
Thanks!!!

Sorry for taking a bit of time. We've had a couple of tough exam weeks.

I'm not the best person to ask about equine stuff. However, I can say that we have quite a few equine interested people in my class and we have a very active equine club. Also, I know one girl in my class who is very interested in equine and got into several schools including some with a perhaps better reputation in equine. I think she ended up coming to Wisconsin because of the cheaper tuition AND because she knew that it was a good school and she would still get a strong equine background no matter where she went. I also know she put a ton of time and thought into her decision She stops by the forum occasionally. Maybe she'll see this and reply...

In terms of clinical experience in the first year, you get experience in two ways. You take a 1 credit course on physical exams/histories, etc. and you learn how to do a dog physical exam in the first semester and a horse and cow in the second semester. There are also a few other opportunities thrown into the course including an exotics handling lab, a pig lab, etc. Secondly, you also have to complete your "blue sheet" which involves going downstairs to the teaching hospital and shadowing different services. You have to get certain things signed off to complete the sheet and the course. This mainly gets you exposure to how the hospital works so you don't get lost in 4th year.

And YES, I feel like I am getting a good education. I believe that all of the vet schools in the U.S. (and several outside of the U.S.) would have given me a good education, but I certainly feel like I am getting one at UW-Madison.

I hope this helps.

Also, congrats on all the acceptances!!!

I just wanted to bump this thread and say that it was really awesome to meet prospective students at the accepted students open house day yesterday. Not sure if I met any of you or not, but I am very excited about the new class coming in the fall!

I LOVED the open house! I am so glad I have the opportunity to start there next fall. I am not sure if I met you but I am sure I will;-)

I LOVED the open house! I am so glad I have the opportunity to start there next fall. I am not sure if I met you but I am sure I will;-)

I was at the WEZAM club table, so if you stopped by you probably met me.

I was at the WEZAM club table, so if you stopped by you probably met me.

Ha! I must have met you then! My boyfriend and I came by and said the name like "Shazam!" only WEZAM and I made one of you guys give me a spiel. May have been a common joke ;) Anyway, I really enjoyed the open house! And the Blue Moon afterward :D. Lookin' forward to starting in the fall!

Eeeeee!! I'm gonna be a vet! (Yes, I still feel that way) haha

Does anyone know of any other IS accepted people that are still on the fence about where they want to go or if any of them are considering declining their spot for whatever reason? :xf:

Ha! I must have met you then! My boyfriend and I came by and said the name like "Shazam!" only WEZAM and I made one of you guys give me a spiel. May have been a common joke ;) Anyway, I really enjoyed the open house! And the Blue Moon afterward :D. Lookin' forward to starting in the fall!

I wonder if I met you at the Blue Moon. Either way, I'm sure I'll meet you in the fall.

Does anyone know of any other IS accepted people that are still on the fence about where they want to go or if any of them are considering declining their spot for whatever reason? :xf:

I'll be declining soon.

I wonder if I met you at the Blue Moon. Either way, I'm sure I'll meet you in the fall.

If you're curious, I was easily the tallest girl in the room. I'm 6 feet tall, and I was wearing heels. :) So if you talked to the giant, you talked to me! If not, I'm sure I'll meet everyone in August. Can't wait!

Hang on to this feeling for as long as you possibly can. If you can remember it for the next four years, it will make vet school a lot easier!

WEZAM is the only one I didn't get a good look at....there were a lot of people around it when I went by and I never got to go back around for a second look;-(

I would have liked to go to Blue Moon with everyone but my mom and I had to go evaluate a bitch in Cross Plains for some people that are considering breeding to one of our stud dogs (Smoke) right after. Smoke was waiting patiently in the truck while we were at the open house so the owners could meet him too. So much to get done when you only come home "once in a Blue Moon" lol

If you're curious, I was easily the tallest girl in the room. I'm 6 feet tall, and I was wearing heels. :) So if you talked to the giant, you talked to me! If not, I'm sure I'll meet everyone in August. Can't wait!

I don't think I talked to you at the Blue Moon, but I'm pretty sure you were in my discussion group earlier in the day (Group 2). :)

WEZAM is the only one I didn't get a good look at....there were a lot of people around it when I went by and I never got to go back around for a second look;-(

If you ever have questions, feel free to ask them here or PM me. WEZAM is very close to my heart.

Sounds good;-) I plan on joining a bunch of the clubs once the semester starts.

I don't think I talked to you at the Blue Moon, but I'm pretty sure you were in my discussion group earlier in the day (Group 2). :)

Sure was! Haha crazy. The internet and real-life world combine! Ahhhh! :laugh: So were you the girl from Cali or the one from Minnesnowta?

Sure was! Haha crazy. The internet and real-life world combine! Ahhhh! :laugh: So were you the girl from Cali or the one from Minnesnowta?

I was (am?) the one from California. So weird when the internet connects with real life!

Hi guys!
I just got called off the waitlist!!!!!! I am SOOO excited to be joining everyone this fall! Kinda bummed that I didn't get to come to the new class open house thing and meet everybody. AHHHH! SO EXCITED!!!:soexcited:

Hi guys!
I just got called off the waitlist!!!!!! I am SOOO excited to be joining everyone this fall! Kinda bummed that I didn't get to come to the new class open house thing and meet everybody. AHHHH! SO EXCITED!!!:soexcited:

omg. omg. omg. CONGRATULATIONS! So happy for you! You deserve this! :D

Hey Breann, you are #3 now! There is still all this week left! I'm :xf: for you! :D

Hi guys!

Congratulations!!
I'll see you in the fall!!

Hi,
Just a note for those who might be waiting to hear from Wisconsin: I just sent in my declination to Wisconsin, so I hope that brings good news to someone else. If it makes any difference, I'm OOS. It was a really tough decision to make between Wisconsin and UC Davis, where I'm headed. I attended the special day at Wisconsin, and everyone there is incredibly friendly. It was, as I said, very hard to choose between two such terrific schools. I know I would receive a top education at either one---but I had to choose one. Good luck to you all :luck:

I was just wondering if the c/o 2014/2013 could tell us what kind of free stuff you got your first year.