This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeful_vet2026

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am currently working on my first cycle application to 2 different programs and have some questions, would love some advice, just to feel like I'm submitting the best application that I can. Here is some info about me:

I'm a non-traditional student (a 32 year old mother of 2) who has been through technician schooling, I've worked at several veterinary clinics (and am currently employed at an ER clinic and have been there over a year), have loads of both vet and non-vet animal related experience (day clinics, spay/neuter, shelters, BoD for non profit dog rescue, equine therapy, canine therapy, etc), decent grades, slightly above average GRE Practice test scores (I am taking the official one in 3 weeks) and a never ending supply of motivation and passion.

That being said, I did take several years off from school (between 2009 and 2016) and I'm not your average applicant (although I know I'm far from alone) because of that break, I will not have a bachelors degree before applying (pre-reqs only), and really want to make myself stand out to the admissions board. I am looking for advice on what kind of experience goes a long way (I have done Meals on Wheels, Coats for the Cold and other community service type volunteer work) and what I should focus on more in my PS:
-the depth of experience and knowledge I've obtained thus far that may put me ahead of the game compared to fresh applicants (I am well versed in things like what your typical chem panel results should be/could indicate, signs and symptoms expected with high or low values, tx protocol for certain conditions, infectious diseases, current lit on vax/prevention medication, etc etc) just from the years I have worked as a tech, the tech schooling I went through and from working underneath some exceptional doctors that are always willing to teach me about anything I would like to know.
-The drive and passion I have felt since I was young, the journal entries I have from elementary school saying my dream job would be a vet and how that has only grown stronger the longer I work in the field, what I think would make me a great vet personally, what veterinarians contribute to their communities, etc.

I have been told I'm a bit of an over thinker, lol, so I also want to know how many other people obsessed over getting their application just right in hopes of defying the statistic that I'll be rejected on more than one cycle.

Thank anyone who reads this in advance and even more for replying!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I am currently working on my first cycle application to 2 different programs and have some questions, would love some advice, just to feel like I'm submitting the best application that I can. Here is some info about me:

I'm a non-traditional student (a 32 year old mother of 2) who has been through technician schooling, I've worked at several veterinary clinics (and am currently employed at an ER clinic and have been there over a year), have loads of both vet and non-vet animal related experience (day clinics, spay/neuter, shelters, BoD for non profit dog rescue, equine therapy, canine therapy, etc), decent grades, slightly above average GRE Practice test scores (I am taking the official one in 3 weeks) and a never ending supply of motivation and passion.

That being said, I did take several years off from school (between 2009 and 2016) and I'm not your average applicant (although I know I'm far from alone) because of that break, I will not have a bachelors degree before applying (pre-reqs only), and really want to make myself stand out to the admissions board. I am looking for advice on what kind of experience goes a long way (I have done Meals on Wheels, Coats for the Cold and other community service type volunteer work) and what I should focus on more in my PS:
-the depth of experience and knowledge I've obtained thus far that may put me ahead of the game compared to fresh applicants (I am well versed in things like what your typical chem panel results should be/could indicate, signs and symptoms expected with high or low values, tx protocol for certain conditions, infectious diseases, current lit on vax/prevention medication, etc etc) just from the years I have worked as a tech, the tech schooling I went through and from working underneath some exceptional doctors that are always willing to teach me about anything I would like to know.
-The drive and passion I have felt since I was young, the journal entries I have from elementary school saying my dream job would be a vet and how that has only grown stronger the longer I work in the field, what I think would make me a great vet personally, what veterinarians contribute to their communities, etc.

I have been told I'm a bit of an over thinker, lol, so I also want to know how many other people obsessed over getting their application just right in hopes of defying the statistic that I'll be rejected on more than one cycle.

It sounds like a lot, but just get everything down in your experience list! I graduated undergrad in 2006 in film, then just picked up pre reqs here and there until finally had everything. Even left vet med for a year around 2015ish when I just didnt think this was going to happen. Be very descriptive in your teching descriptions at each hospital you've worked at. I even listed CE i attended and extra certifications as individual experiences. I had the only school I applied to review my transcripts and resume before I applied and had an in person one on one, then followed her advice. I was so nervous as I was also 8.5 months pregnant at interviews!

Just get everything you can on paper! I think it also helped that in my essays I could say, hey I see the down side of this career and I'm still interested!

Good luck, PM me if you want to talk more about being non trad etc

Reactions: 1 users

This doesn't mean very much because all of your classmates, if they don't know it already, will learn it during school. That's why it's vet school. Having some advance knowledge and skills may help you academically as a vet student, but they do not necessarily make you a more qualified applicant - does that make sense?

If you choose this route, I would focus less on the technical things you learned, but rather all of the other workings of the clinics. Management, organization, avoiding and recognizing burnout, difficult clients, working with diverse teams.....Show that you know the PROFESSION, not just the trappings of it - know what I mean? That will have way more impact.

You can talk about what you learned, but make sure you don't come off as sounding like you know everything. Your less experienced colleagues will learn most of that stuff in their first year alone and be right on par with you, so it's only a transient bonus and not something I would hang an admissions hat on.

The second option's first part (the whole oh I always wanted to be a vet) sounds extremely generic and won't stand out to an adcom. Lots of people decide to pursue veterinary medicine later in life or it was a recent decision for them. The fact that you wanted to be a vet for longer again does not make you a more qualified applicant (can you sense a theme? Remember to think of yourself as an applicant, not a student or a vet. Argue why they should accept you, not just how much you want to be accepted). For the rest, vets in society and why you would be a good vet, that sounds better. If you talk about why you would be a good vet, be very specific with actual examples of how you exhibit these traits. Don't speak in vague generalities. Oh, I'm hard-working, I'm a good communicator etc....ok, well..how?? Show me! :)

What makes you unique? There are tons of people coming in with lots of experience who have wanted to be a vet since they were little. Since you took time off from school, the first question they might have is could you handle the academic rigor since you've been out of the game for a while. That might also be something to address - how do you emphasize that you have the academic resilience for it?

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This doesn't mean very much because all of your classmates, if they don't know it already, will learn it during school. That's why it's vet school. Having some advance knowledge and skills may help you academically as a vet student, but they do not necessarily make you a more qualified applicant - does that make sense?

If you choose this route, I would focus less on the technical things you learned, but rather all of the other workings of the clinics. Management, organization, avoiding and recognizing burnout, difficult clients, working with diverse teams.....Show that you know the PROFESSION, not just the trappings of it - know what I mean? That will have way more impact.

You can talk about what you learned, but make sure you don't come off as sounding like you know everything. Your less experienced colleagues will learn most of that stuff in their first year alone and be right on par with you, so it's only a transient bonus and not something I would hang an admissions hat on.

The second option's first part (the whole oh I always wanted to be a vet) sounds extremely generic and won't stand out to an adcom. Lots of people decide to pursue veterinary medicine later in life or it was a recent decision for them. The fact that you wanted to be a vet for longer again does not make you a more qualified applicant (can you sense a theme? Remember to think of yourself as an applicant, not a student or a vet. Argue why they should accept you, not just how much you want to be accepted). For the rest, vets in society and why you would be a good vet, that sounds better. If you talk about why you would be a good vet, be very specific with actual examples of how you exhibit these traits. Don't speak in vague generalities. Oh, I'm hard-working, I'm a good communicator etc....ok, well..how?? Show me! :)

What makes you unique? There are tons of people coming in with lots of experience who have wanted to be a vet since they were little. Since you took time off from school, the first question they might have is could you handle the academic rigor since you've been out of the game for a while. That might also be something to address - how do you emphasize that you have the academic resilience for it?
Wonderful, wonderful feedback! Thank you!

Can I send you my before and after personal statements to see that Ive addressed the changes you suggested (which, by the way, opened my eyes in a significant way and incredibly helpful) and if I am hitting the points I should?

Can I send you my before and after personal statements to see that Ive addressed the changes you suggested (which, by the way, opened my eyes in a significant way and incredibly helpful) and if I am hitting the points I should?
There’s a whole list of people willing to read PSes. WTF might have been one of them, check the list and see.

There’s a whole list of people willing to read PSes. WTF might have been one of them, check the list and see.
I do believe I saw that name, but also thought I saw yours so i could be wrong, hah!