Worried about drug test after summer Amsterdam (Penn, UCONN, Columbia, NYU, Temple, Roseman, UCLA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dental_throwaway

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

Before we start, I know some of you have qualms about illicit drug use and the like. For those people, I am not a regular user, will not use in dental school, and any prior use (I think twice now) is legal in my state. Thus, please do not get in a ethical argument with me, I just want some help.

I am backpacking through Europe this summer around July and will be stopping through Amsterdam. During that part, my friends all want to have fun one more time before we go off to school (2 dental, a DO, a MD, masters, and a gap year guy). We are going to responsible with our trip, but would like to have a once in a lifetime experience not found legally in the states. The concern is the following: In Amsterdam, we would like to stop by a coffee shop to try marijuana and the magic mushrooms. I am concerned that these would show in drug tests, but I do not know if the school I am deciding between even drug test. I have not decided between these school as I am waiting for scholarship decisions and where my best friend is attending.

Is drug testing a concern - I am not too versed as I do not use, but I heard about hair tests being very long-term. I repeat, I do not use drugs, but what info for these school is there. If there is a drug test, I would like to know because if I end up going to those schools, I will sit out the festivities or submit a drug test prior to leaving. Thank you very much SDN.

Members don't see this ad.

Youre going to piss in a cup, it'll be out by then. Have fun on your trip.

Edit: becareful with psychedelics around a lot of people. It can be overwhelming.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1450323435.853333.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
This is not an ethical response, but you obviously have worked hard to get accepted into multiple dental schools. Why would you want to possibly jeopardize this opportunity for being in an self induced altered mental state which may only last a couple of hours? The fact that you could potentially throw all this away should be a no-brainer, but if you must that's all on you. Be prepared for all consequences.

This is not an ethical response, but you obviously have worked hard to get accepted into multiple dental schools. Why would you want to possibly jeopardize this opportunity for being in an self induced altered mental state which may only last a couple of hours? The fact that you could potentially throw all this away should be a no-brainer, but if you must that's all on you. Be prepared for all consequences.

I was going to post the same thing. Is is REALLY worth it? Go to Amsterdam after you graduate from dental school.

I was going to post the same thing. Is is REALLY worth it? Go to Amsterdam after you graduate from dental school.

nothing will show up on a drug test conducted weeks/months after the fact

lol'd at "self-induced altered mental state" :rolleyes:

and call me crazy, but somehow i think OP will be looking for jobs after graduation to pay off the debt, so is going to amsterdam then really feasible?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Was talking to d3/4 students at my interview and asked them about each upcoming class that came through. They all said each class is so much nerdier than the previous. Yall are the people they were talking about.

OP go have an experience and learn something about yourself. Don't listen to this high horse riders. They are boring and live in libraries.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't think they do drug tests.

Last edited:
I don't know of any med schools that drug test on intake, and I'd imagine dental schools are similar. Anyway, no amount of drugs will stay in your system long enough for it to matter. As a new user, you've got a 7-14 day clearance time. Your real risk is that you are inexperienced and might do something stupid, or that you might forget you have some drugs on you when leaving, which happens frequently and can cause you some MAJOR legal problems, so be mindful not to misplace any drugs.

I doubt your dental school will drug test. Mine didn't, but it's not one of those listed. I'm assuming by the time you go on the trip you'll have narrowed down exactly what school you are going to. Why don't you do some more research on that particular school then? If they DO end up testing, I personally would still enjoy my time in the Netherlands and maybe just skip out on the drug afternoon. It's not that big of a loss.

Was talking to d3/4 students at my interview and asked them about each upcoming class that came through. They all said each class is so much nerdier than the previous. Yall are the people they were talking about.

OP go have an experience and learn something about yourself. Don't listen to this high horse riders. They are boring and live in libraries.
HAHAHAHA!!!

I backpacked through Europe in 2000. Great experience. My most memorable experience from Amsterdam was some creepy dude trying sell me drugs, which I politely declined (polite because he was a little scary), while I was eating a cone full of French fries with a pile of warm mayonnaise on top of it. Subsequently the mayo was the most harmful substance that I ingested on that trip. That drug/sex-trade area of Amsterdam is pretty gross and sad (the rest of the city is very nice).

I'm not trying to make any ethical judgments, some of my friends on that trip were more adventurous, I got drunk several times in ways that I would not even think about now, we had fun. BUT the bottom line is this, when I think about my trip to Europe I think about my how hard I laughed when my friend tried to ask out the waitress in the restaurant in Spain without knowing any Spanish, I think about standing in 2000+ year old buildings in Rome, I think of catching all night trains and eating bread and stinky cheese for sustenance since it was cheap. No one talks about what happened in Amsterdam, whether they did anything or not, because in the big scheme of things it really isn't that big of a deal compared to everything else, and any enduring memories that you have of drug use will probably only be so because you got massively out of control and/or in trouble....and those are the memories you don't want.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't listen to these guys. There's a reason pot is illegal: it's a gateway drug. Next thing you know, you'll be snorting black tar heroin in between screening patients during clinic.

You'll thank me later when you're a successful dentist and your friends are in jail for distributing.

Reactions: 1 users
Not gonna condone the use of any drugs - but I'd do it.. Maybe not shrooms but I'd like to have a "once in a lifetime experience" as well.

Coming from someone who smoked weed once, in 8th grade, and got drugged through a vape, never drank alcohol, and never did any other types of drugs. I'm glad I didn't, but if I was firm in the "once in a lifetime" then yes, try it man. Just be careful make sure your stuff is clean. Have fun overseas

I know you're joking. You have to be. I would love to see some numbers on the number of people who have ever experimented with marijuana and just how many of them have gone on to become heroin addicts. Heroin and meth addictions are serious public health issues that have nothing to do with marijuana use. Alcohol is a gateway drug to sexual assault, deadly car accidents, and domestic violence, but it's not illegal for people over 21. You should be warning people not to binge drink because that will derail a career a hell of a lot faster than marijuana will.

Did you learn nothing from D.A.R.E.? Marijuana destroys lives :p

I was definitely joking btw. It's amazing the stigma around certain illegal drugs whereas alcohol somehow gets a pass...smh.

They do background checks, not drugs tests.

OP.. You're gonna get higher than a Georgia Pine.

So jelly.

Thank you for all of your very level-headed advice. Unless I read somewhere that there 100% won't be a test, I am going to sit our the coffee shop. I'll just stick to the mushroom tea that someone suggested in my inbox. I have so many things planned in Europe - visting across France, wine tours in Italy, skiing in Switzerland that I know I'm going to have a great time regardless. Need to get my fun out before a decade of frugal living - especially if I go to NYU and specialize!!

Thank you for all of your very level-headed advice. Unless I read somewhere that there 100% won't be a test, I am going to sit our the coffee shop. I'll just stick to the mushroom tea that someone suggested in my inbox. I have so many things planned in Europe - visting across France, wine tours in Italy, skiing in Switzerland that I know I'm going to have a great time regardless. Need to get my fun out before a decade of frugal living - especially if I go to NYU and specialize!!
If you're so worried about the drug test still, why would you decide to just "stick with the mushroom tea"?

I don't know much about it but you're still ingesting mushrooms so the whole notion that somehow that one method is fine but smoking weed isn't just doesn't make any sense. Either you do drugs on your trip or not.

lol at this being a question for a future trip to amsterdam. If you're concerned, don't do it - but I wouldn't be worried

That drug/sex-trade area of Amsterdam is pretty gross and sad (the rest of the city is very nice).
Yup. I also backpacked through Europe, and when I was in Amsterdam I walked past an area of the Red Light District during the daytime. It was just sad. The women in the windows looked dead in the eyes. I'm not sure of the statistics on how many of them start out as victims of human trafficking, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's most/all.

The rest of the city is great! Hang out in Vondelpark. Get some fried food from a FEBO wall. Go to the Anne Frank house and/or the Van Gogh museum. Rent a bike. Have fun! But be cautious and courteous, it's a major city, not Disneyland.

Don't listen to these guys. There's a reason pot is illegal: it's a gateway drug. Next thing you know, you'll be snorting black tar heroin in between screening patients during clinic.

You'll thank me later when you're a successful dentist and your friends are in jail for distributing.
It's a gateway drug to the fridge.

I obviously do not live in libraries because I am busy serving in the world's greatest Navy. As I stated in my response to the OP, he/she should be prepared for ALL consequences.

Would you eat magic mushrooms in front of Jesus?

Most drug tests don't test for mushrooms