MD Worried about grades..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bschaefer97

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just got a test grade back in my Genetics class that means I'll likely end up with a B, B+ or A- in the class overall, and I was just wondering how everything shaped up so far. This has likely been covered in a different thread, if so, just LMK and I will check it out. Just a bit worried about how this will affect my chances.

For background, I go to a state university (ASU....*), and plan on applying to MD schools throughout the country (a few really good schools, a few more average schools, and obviously one or two fall-back schools). I am a sophomore now, and expect to graduate in Spring 2019 with a degree in Biology with a concentration in Neurobiology, Physiology and Behavior. I am considering MD/PhD programs as well. I am in the honors college at my Uni, if that is anything to consider.

*I know ASU is certainly the butt of many jokes in terms of being a degree-mill or whatever. I don't disagree that it comes off (or is) what people think of it, and I'm mostly curious to see if Med schools consider this as a big factor when looking at my app. Realistically, I'm sure if my GPA is great and MCAT is as well, they won't have an issue since that pretty much shows that the courses were rigorous enough to prep me.

Current Grades/Expected for this semester:

(SCIENCES)
Gen Chem I: A
Gen Chem II: A
Gen Bio I: A
Gen Bio II: A
Precalc: B+
Calculus: A

(NON-SCIENCES)
Human Event I: A
Human Event II: A
MED 100: A+
ASU 101: A+ (lol)
ENG 102: A+

Current cumulative GPA: 3.99

(CURRENT CLASSES/BEST GUESS FOR FINAL GRADE)
Organic Chem I: A
Organic Chem I Lab: A
Gen Genetics: B to A- (A- means doing VERY well for the rest of the semester...chances are low)
Medical Anthropology: A
Biostats: A
SOLUR Seminar: Pass/Fail (Pass)

EC's:
- I have been doing research* in a lab at Barrow Neurological Institute since late in my freshman year.
- SOLUR Researcher (Basically a selective program to provide funding for Undergrads in life science research)
- ASU Academic Bowl team member for my college
- Chemistry Lab instructor at ASU (Sophomore year)
- Undergrad Student Gov. Senator for my College (Freshman year)
- Member of AMSA (American Medical Student Assoc.)
- Member of ASU Chess Club
- Will be shadowing a neurologist next semester for credit.. (EC? Maybe not, whatever)

* I wasn't sure if this also counts as volunteering, as I do it for free. I read that you can't "double-dip" to call it both research and volunteering, but just wanted to hear from you guys. If not I will start volunteering at the hospital nearby next semester to get ample hours in.

If there are any significant EC's I should be starting now please let me know... I know there are quite a few that schools require and a lot more that they like to see, but its hard to fit all of them in with the current course load.

I hope that provides enough info, and thank you to anyone that can help me out here! Let me know if I should include anything else in this post, as well :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're worried about your 3.99? Genetics is scum of a class, B or higher is fine.

You're worried about your 3.99? Genetics is scum of a class, B or higher is fine.
I just really don't want to fall below a 3.8 or 3.9 early, as the rest of my classes for this major include some tough ones that I'm sure I won't be able to get all A's in. Thanks for the help though, I appreciate the hate for Genetics (man, I hate this class).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking Genetics currently, so I definitely feel your pain there. I find the material easier to absorb if I can relate it to my own life. It helps to make the material less abstract and more applied. For example, when I was learning about holandric (Y linked) inheritance, I told myself that since human males are XY and human females are XX, I would have inherited Y linked genes from my father, while my sisters would not have. Sorry if that doesn't make much sense, but it works for me!

As for ECs, clinical experience is paramount. I would recommend finding a long-term volunteer position in either a clinic or hospital setting. It will be hard to convince adcoms that you want to be a physician if you haven't spent a solid amount of time in a clinical setting! You're off to a great start though; keep up the good work and I'm sure you'll do fine come application time!

Genetics is considered one of the hardest classes at my university. That being said, I wouldn't sweat about it. Even if you get an A-, it still looks great. You should be proud of your grades so far. Also, since you are a biology major, I can't imagine any other class giving you problems besides Physics, Biochemistry, or Orgo II. All of the higher level electives in my Biology program like General Physiology, Microbiology, and Cell Biology were a piece of cake. Don't sweat it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile