May 14, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I've been fortunate enough to receive a couple acceptances, but I haven't heard from my top choice. I wanted to send in a letter of interest with a couple of updates.
I was recently hired to continue as a TA for the spring semester (didn't mention this in my app), have had some research progress (talked a lot during the interview), and got a new volunteer position teaching music to kids. Would these be worth updating to the school, in addition to reiterating my fit for the school?

Also, if I mention my other acceptances, would that be considered a letter of intent?

sss1219

5+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2015
Intent letters are pretty useless unless you are on the waitlist so wait for the school to make a decision first.

Sending a letter of interest/update combination post II would be fine, but will only really help if it is a school that has made it clear that they love getting updates.

Reactions: 1 user

CyrilFiggis

5+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Also, if I mention my other acceptances, would that be considered a letter of intent?
Don't do this. Writing your letter is sufficient enough. Tone is hard to judge over type and mentioning other acceptances can get misconstrued easily.

LOIs are a bit like Pascal's wager depending on the program. If you haven't even interviewed with the school at this point you don't have much to lose since interview season is ending. If you're post-interview, I would continue to wait in silent frustration.

Reactions: 1 user

Spectar

2+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
If you are post interview, just send a letter of interest coupled with an update without mentioning other schools. It won't hurt.

A lot of people say that letters of interest won't help and while I agree, for some reason literally almost every single school I interviewed at (8 so far), said they were receptive to updates/letters of interest.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.