WSU CVM 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Worst finals are back to back tomorrow. And I have zero motivation to study. Gpa is totally B+ average this semester. :(

Yes my orgo exam is in 12 hours. Yippee...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck with finals everyone who still has them! And fingers crossed that anyone who hasn't heard yet gets good news soon! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Per my previous post, we should all find out today... But not feeling hopeful. :/ Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Emails or snail mails? Your previous post said "letters" so idk how to interpret that haha. It's gonna be a long day at work awaiting some news

First you get an email saying you've been offered an interview, and then you get an actual letter in the mail a few days later with the time and date of your interview.

So got sick of waiting for the deadline today and I emailed Barbara back to clarify if that is via snail mail or email/portal.... Waiting for the reply now.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for asking again! There are three more business hours left on the west coast so we'll see what happens.

"This will be by regular mail.

Barbara"

Boo guys... rejection fo sho :(

I'm 0-4 now. So frustrated. Don't want to play this game anymore. :(

God I"m right there with ya @Hollista. This is my third time applying and i feel like i 'm just going round and round after retaking classes and the gre, getting research experience, and more animal experience, it still isn't enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know of people being asked to interview with no portal notification prior to getting snail mail?!

I got my interview via snail mail before any email or portal notification. I got my invite about a month ago.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if academic scholarships are offered before committing to a school such as Washington State? Or do we not find those things out until we are committed?

Just got an invite for an interview via email! So so excited. It stated that further stated that further details about day and time would come in a letter by mail. I haven't gotten it yet but I live in VA so it will have some lag time.

Reactions: 5 users
Ignore the repetitive sentence computer is being a weirdo

Woah so emails are still coming out?? That's kinda crazy...and semi-hopeful!!

Reactions: 4 users
Got my rejection snail mail letter today. Sorry guys, those were the 12/17 letters. :( I'm in So Cal, they may take longer to get to the east coast. Boo... the two schools I was an alternate at last year I was flat out rejected to this year.

Got my rejection snail mail letter today. Sorry guys, those were the 12/17 letters. :( I'm in So Cal, they may take longer to get to the east coast. Boo... the two schools I was an alternate at last year I was flat out rejected to this year.
Sorry, Hollista :(

Hope one of your other schools works out for you!

I got my rejection letter, too. Still waiting to hear from one more of my three schools. I'm just thankful my in-state gave me an interview! So, I suppose there is still hope.

So all the letters going out now are rejection letters :unsure:

Just got my rejection letter in the snail mail.... :( (OOS, FL)

Good Luck to everyone else!

Got my rejection letter in the mail today (OOS, NY). Oh well, too far away anyway and four more schools to hear back from :p

Got my rejection mail today and I am OOS from NY. Oh well. Congrats to all who got interviews!

Just got my rejection letter. OOS Georgia (go dawgs!) merry Christmas everyone!

Interview on Feb 4th for any other interviewees our there!

Interview on Feb 2nd :) Does anyone know if the 15-minute essays are still part of the process? Happy holidays everyone!

Interview on Feb 2nd :) Does anyone know if the 15-minute essays are still part of the process? Happy holidays everyone!
According to past threads, at least, I think they've done away with them.

I'm really neurotic about my fall transcripts, since I don't want something silly to keep me out of vet school, so this is probably a dumb question...we need to bring unofficial transcripts for interviews, but do we need to send official ones as well?

I'm really neurotic about my fall transcripts, since I don't want something silly to keep me out of vet school, so this is probably a dumb question...we need to bring unofficial transcripts for interviews, but do we need to send official ones as well?

I asked. Per the admissions office, no. And they really do mean "unofficial" -- I was told that a printout from a college website is fine so long as it has your name and the school's name.

Congrats to everyone who got offered an interview!! We start school again on Monday, and hopefully I'll see some of you around during your interviews!
Sorry to those of you who received bad news, but hopefully another school brings you some good news! Somehow we all end up right where we are supposed to be.

Thank you!

i'm curious for any current students: Do you have winter/summer breaks as usual? Are they really breaks or do you just end up working through them?

Thank you!

i'm curious for any current students: Do you have winter/summer breaks as usual? Are they really breaks or do you just end up working through them?
Yes we do! We got a 1 week Thanksgivibg break, 3 weeks for winter, we get a one week spring break, and we get a pretty nice summer break (over three months)

Couple interview questions to clarify (I'm so nervous, haha):

We need to be there for our interview and any events we RSVP for, but do we need to hang out in between (I have a morning interview and the tour in the later afternoon) or get there early?

Does anyone know, for is, approximately what percent of interviewed candidates are accepted/waitlisted/rejected?

We need to be there for our interview and any events we RSVP for, but do we need to hang out in between (I have a morning interview and the tour in the later afternoon) or get there early?

Does anyone know, for is, approximately what percent of interviewed candidates are accepted/waitlisted/rejected?
Last year I was the first interview, (8am or something) so after I walked back to hotel then changed into more casual attire for tour. Tour didn't take too long though. Not too much walking either.

Last year they interviewed A LOT, and waitlisted everyone they didn't accept. =\

You don't need to hang out in between unless you want to. Current students typically pop into the waiting room and you can ask them questions.

I would arrive early for the pizza mixer (do they still do that?) because the pizza usually goes lightning fast. I would also arrive early to the interview to avoid any getting lost/can't find parking/etc fiascos.

But if you have an early interview and a late tour, by all means grab lunch and a nap in between.

I think I usually mention something like this every year, but I'll mention it again just in case:

If you're flying into Spokane you're about 70 miles away from Pullman. You're going to need a rental car. Check for weather conditions. In very bad snow they will sometimes shut down 195 (the road south to Pullman). It doesn't happen very often, but it does happen.

If you're flying into Lewiston you're about 30ish miles from Pullman. You can finagle a car or a taxi to Pullman.

If you're flying into the Moscow/Pullman airport you might get diverted to Lewiston in bad weather or fog. There are usually many people willing to split a taxi in that event.

If you're bringing a car onto campus make sure you get a visitor parking thing. Parking people patrol the lot a bunch, you'll get a ticket if you just show up and park without the right pass.

There are restrooms very close by to the interview waiting area. You can change in/out of your interview outfit as needed. You don't need to look snazzy for school tours or the pizza mixer, no one is scoring you on that.

The Holiday Inn has a shuttle you can take to points around town (at least they have in the past - maybe double check so you're not screwed). You can also book lodging in Moscow, it's just 10-15 minutes away.

And most importantly, if you have some spare time and love ice cream, visit Ferdinand's. WSU has their own creamery. http://creamery.wsu.edu/ferdinands-ice-cream-shoppe/hours-and-location/ :)

Last edited:
I think I usually mention something like this every year, but I'll mention it again just in case:

If you're flying into Spokane you're about 70 miles away from Pullman. You're going to need a rental car. Check for weather conditions. In very bad snow they will sometimes shut down 195 (the road south to Pullman). It doesn't happen very often, but it does happen.

If you're flying into Lewiston you're about 30ish miles from Pullman. You can finagle a car or a taxi to Pullman.

If you're flying into the Moscow/Pullman airport you might get diverted to Lewiston in bad weather or fog. There are usually many people willing to split a taxi in that event.

If you're bringing a car onto campus make sure you get a visitor parking thing. Parking people patrol the lot a bunch, you'll get a ticket if you just show up and park without the right pass.

There are restrooms very close by to the interview waiting area. You can change in/out of your interview outfit as needed. You don't need to look snazzy for school tours or the pizza mixer, no one is scoring you on that.

The Holiday Inn has a shuttle you can take to points around town (at least they have in the past - maybe double check so you're not screwed). You can also book lodging in Moscow, it's just 10-15 minutes away.

And most importantly, if you have some spare time and love ice cream, visit Ferdinand's. WSU has their own creamery. http://creamery.wsu.edu/ferdinands-ice-cream-shoppe/hours-and-location/ :)
Where do most people stay in Pulllman? Any recommendations on lodging?

Do you happen to know how much taxis cost? Do most people take a taxi? Or rent a car? Car rentals at Hertz seem to be about $40. Pretty expensive IMO.

ALSO! Anybody interviewing on Feb 2nd??

Sorry for a million questions! I need to plan this trip soon!

Where do most people stay in Pulllman? Any recommendations on lodging?

Do you happen to know how much taxis cost? Do most people take a taxi? Or rent a car? Car rentals at Hertz seem to be about $40. Pretty expensive IMO.

ALSO! Anybody interviewing on Feb 2nd??

Sorry for a million questions! I need to plan this trip soon!

In Pullman the Holiday Inn (nice) and Quality Inn (less nice) are the closest to the school. You could walk to school from there if you don't mind about 20-ish minutes uphill...possibly in crap weather...possibly with ice on the hill... Nendels is a little further down the road and it's a notch below the Quality Inn. On the other side of campus there's the Residence Inn which is pretty plush. Hilltop Inn is nice as well. The only places that seemed skeevy were the Cougar Land Motel and American Travel Inn. Not my cup of tea, but I know people who were fine with it. Pullman is quite small, so you will easily get across town in 10 minutes no matter where you stay.

Where are you flying into? If you're going into Spokane I'd recommend renting a car. When I flew out for my interview, landing in Spokane and renting a car was actually cheaper than flying straight into Pullman. Plus then you have the car to get around.

If you really, really want to bus from Spokane to Pullman there's the Wheatland Express. http://wheatlandexpress.rezgo.com/details/55840/airport-express-southbound-to-pullmanmoscow It's almost $40 though and doesn't make many trips, so you're better off renting a car.

It's a small town so I'm not surprised if the rental car rates are on the high side. They're literally the only game in town. Same deal with Taxis, I had friends spend $40ish to Taxi up from Lewiston. I wasn't there when Uber became a thing, so maybe you can get a deal that way?

If you're flying direct into Moscow/Pullman you can probably make it work without a car. Here's a link to free PUW airport shuttles http://www.flypuw.com/transportation/taxi-cabs-hotel-courtesy-shuttles/

Also - if you're stuck in a tight spot for an airport ride ask the interview coordinator. Sometimes current students will help with an airport run in town.

One nice thing about having a car is that you can get a feel for town. It's not very big, so you can easily cover the whole thing. Plus you can drive over to Moscow, it's just 8 miles away. In Moscow there's the La Quinta, the Fairfield, Best Western and more. If you want to save some money there's the Idaho Inn. It's like $60. It used to be student housing/dorms that got converted into an Inn. So if you're living in a dorm you'll feel right at home ;)

Last edited:
Does anyone happen to know when WSU is expected to send out official acceptances/waitlist decisions? I know that interviews haven't even happened yet, but I'd like to know so I can be prepared...

Thanks in advance!

In Pullman the Holiday Inn (nice) and Quality Inn (less nice) are the closest to the school. You could walk to school from there if you don't mind about 20-ish minutes uphill...possibly in crap weather...possibly with ice on the hill... Nendels is a little further down the road and it's a notch below the Quality Inn. On the other side of campus there's the Residence Inn which is pretty plush. Hilltop Inn is nice as well. The only places that seemed skeevy were the Cougar Land Motel and American Travel Inn. Not my cup of tea, but I know people who were fine with it. Pullman is quite small, so you will easily get across town in 10 minutes no matter where you stay.

Where are you flying into? If you're going into Spokane I'd recommend renting a car. When I flew out for my interview, landing in Spokane and renting a car was actually cheaper than flying straight into Pullman. Plus then you have the car to get around.

If you really, really want to bus from Spokane to Pullman there's the Wheatland Express. http://wheatlandexpress.rezgo.com/details/55840/airport-express-southbound-to-pullmanmoscow It's almost $40 though and doesn't make many trips, so you're better off renting a car.

It's a small town so I'm not surprised if the rental car rates are on the high side. They're literally the only game in town. Same deal with Taxis, I had friends spend $40ish to Taxi up from Lewiston. I wasn't there when Uber became a thing, so maybe you can get a deal that way?

If you're flying direct into Moscow/Pullman you can probably make it work without a car. Here's a link to free PUW airport shuttles http://www.flypuw.com/transportation/taxi-cabs-hotel-courtesy-shuttles/

Also - if you're stuck in a tight spot for an airport ride ask the interview coordinator. Sometimes current students will help with an airport run in town.

One nice thing about having a car is that you can get a feel for town. It's not very big, so you can easily cover the whole thing. Plus you can drive over to Moscow, it's just 8 miles away. In Moscow there's the La Quinta, the Fairfield, Best Western and more. If you want to save some money there's the Idaho Inn. It's like $60. It used to be student housing/dorms that got converted into an Inn. So if you're living in a dorm you'll feel right at home ;)
I just booked my ticket to fly into Spokane because of your car rental idea. Thanks a bunch! :D How are driving conditions? I'm from sunny California so I am not used to driving in snowy conditions.

I will not be making the evening mixer and student panel due to limited flight times. Think I will be missing out on a lot? In other words, should I change my flight???

The fancy residence inn charges like $104 per night. Not bad IMO.Holiday Inn is $99 per night.

Make sure to tell the hotel you're booking for an interview at the vet school. You'll get a nice discount most places

I just booked my ticket to fly into Spokane because of your car rental idea. Thanks a bunch! :D How are driving conditions? I'm from sunny California so I am not used to driving in snowy conditions.

I will not be making the evening mixer and student panel due to limited flight times. Think I will be missing out on a lot? In other words, should I change my flight???

The fancy residence inn charges like $104 per night. Not bad IMO.Holiday Inn is $99 per night.

The driving conditions are generally fine. It's been a warmer winter than usual in Washington so far. But that said, there could be some random crazy snow. You never know, I've seen it snow in June there. But I don't recall any interview season where it was truly hard to get in.

They keep the roads ok from Spokane to Pullman and only close that highway in whiteout conditions. Keep an eye out on the weather report in the days leading up. If it looks sketchy, maybe consider renting something with AWD instead of something tiny. Unless it's a true ugly storm you shouldn't have any problems. Really it's fine for the most part.

Here's a link to a webcam for downtown Pullman http://www.pullman-wa.com/camera.htm There's no snow on the road at the moment.

Oh, and don't speed through Colfax. That place has nothing going on and they love to give tickets. Also it's about 1.5 hours from the airport to school and there aren't many radio stations. Bring some music or enjoy a long, boring ride through the middle of wheat fields ;)

I don't think you'll miss anything crucial at the mixer. You can talk to any student while you're there and they'll be happy to answer questions you may have. The mixer is just like that, except with pizza. Do you get to see a hospital tour? That's probably one thing I wouldn't skip on, especially if you may have decisions down the road on which school to select.

Does anyone happen to know when WSU is expected to send out official acceptances/waitlist decisions? I know that interviews haven't even happened yet, but I'd like to know so I can be prepared...

For in-state, they start deliberating once the interviews are done (so Jan 22nd, probably) and send notifications a week after they finish that. In the past, people have been notified within 7-10 days post-interview, but I'm sure they take as much time as they feel they need for deliberations.