WSU (Washington State) C/O 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Okay, I see. So someone isn't going to be eliminated on academics alone without the rest of their application being reviewed?

Not necessarily. From my understanding they do go through applications and eliminate people based on grades and prereqs before they reach the actual admissions team and the whole application is viewed, but it's not like if you're in anything but teir 1 you're totally out of the running, or if you're in teir 1 you're a guarantee.

That's why it's not worth fretting over at this point since it's out of your control now :) everything is going to depend on the application pool for any given year.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've heard from my advisor, there's usually a gpa cutoff and they don't offer interviews to many people below it. It varies year to year depending on the applications they get. Last year, for my pool the cutoff was about 3.5 cumulative.

They rank us within our tiers as well, so there are people who are lower in tier one and higher in tier two, etc. I think they separate us into tiers first, and then go through and figure out which people will make it past the first round. More tier one people make it than two, but that's when things like experience and essays become important, and you might be tier three but make it to interviews because there's something really compelling and unique about your app.

Reactions: 1 users
I finally got the well discussed email! I'm tier 2, OOS.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally got the email! Fingers crossed we hear more soon.

Based off of last years thread, IS heard about interviews ~Nov 6... could be coming soon! Hopefully they stick to the same schedule this cycle!

I got an interview invite this morning! I'm still in this round! :DI didn't realize how nervous I was about this until I got the email. (I'm in the Idaho pool, tier one)

Last year I got the email on November 3rd, so it looks like they're following the same schedule pretty closely!

Reactions: 12 users
Just saw that Idaho is considered in the IS pool!

Idaho is part of the regional program, so we're our own pool but we are treated like IS for tuition purposes. Last year Washington and Idaho heard the same week for interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
There's a new online interview confirmation thing, so at least we won't have any of last year's angst about that. :laugh:I'm scheduled for January 19!

Reactions: 2 users
I got an interview invite this morning! I'm still in this round! :DI didn't realize how nervous I was about this until I got the email. (I'm in the Idaho pool, tier one)

Last year I got the email on November 3rd, so it looks like they're following the same schedule pretty closely!

Yay!!! :D

Members don't see this ad :)

CONGRATS!!! Super exciting!

Interview invite yesterday as well! Tier 1, WIMU Idaho applicant.
Congrats!

Interview invite 10
Another Idaho person! Did you go to school in Moscow?

No I'm finishing up at Boise State this semester!! Have you interviewed before?

I'm wondering roughly how many of the Idaho applicants get invited to interviews....would be nice to get a sense for what my chances are!

ohhh my gosh I just got an acceptance email!! I think it has something to do with being a WICHE applicant, but the email was very sparse. I can't believe it!! :happy: Sorry to post this with everybody waiting for interviews, I just needed to spew my excitement somewhere.

Reactions: 7 users
ohhh my gosh I just got an acceptance email!! I think it has something to do with being a WICHE applicant, but the email was very sparse. I can't believe it!! :happy: Sorry to post this with everybody waiting for interviews, I just needed to spew my excitement somewhere.

Congrats! :D

Yeah, some WICHE kids hear super early!

That is so awesome!!! I'm so happy for you!

Aw thanks everybody! I really appreciate it. Best of luck to you guys currently waiting :)

Aw thanks everybody! I really appreciate it. Best of luck to you guys currently waiting :)

Did you already have an interview? Or were you not interviewed because of the early acceptance thing? (I think there is one?)

Did you already have an interview? Or were you not interviewed because of the early acceptance thing? (I think there is one?)

No, I didn't have an interview. They seem to review WICHE applicants a little differently. Took me completely by surprise!

No, I didn't have an interview. They seem to review WICHE applicants a little differently. Took me completely by surprise!

Many congrats either way! So exciting!

That's so awesome! Is WSU your first choice school?

Interview invite 10

No I'm finishing up at Boise State this semester!! Have you interviewed before?

I'm wondering roughly how many of the Idaho applicants get invited to interviews....would be nice to get a sense for what my chances are!

I interviewed last year. They interviewed either 17 or 19 of us - Dr. T wasn't sure when I asked her. They accept 11 from that number and waitlist 3.

I interviewed last year. They interviewed either 17 or 19 of us - Dr. T wasn't sure when I asked her. They accept 11 from that number and waitlist 3.

Do you get assigned numbers? Or what's that about?

Do you know generally how many OOS applicants are interviewed?

Do you get assigned numbers? Or what's that about?

Do you know generally how many OOS applicants are interviewed?

I have no idea how many OOS people are interviewed. Probably a little over half of what number is accepted? So, maybe something like 100 interviews or a little more than that?

Wow wait so you were accepted without an interview? Do they not interview WICHE applicants? CONGRATS!!

Wow wait so you were accepted without an interview? Do they not interview WICHE applicants? CONGRATS!!

Some candidates from WICHE states are accepted early before WHICHE states have released who gets funding. These are the top ones that generally will be the first to get funding. Others are offered a conditional acceptance if they get funding, or offered to interview with the general OOS pool to be considered for OOS spot if they don't get WICHE.

It's a weird system. One of my friends said she found out the last week of October she was accepted last year, but didn't find out she got WICHE until like May.

I got an acceptance phone call and email yesterday for OOS seat. Also a WICHE student from Arizona. I definitely was not expecting it! I have an interview set for next week at LMU, so it's nice to potentially have options even though WSU is my top choice.

As a first year applicant and only applying to three schools, I am very excited!

Reactions: 7 users
I got an acceptance phone call and email yesterday for OOS seat. Also a WICHE student from Arizona. I definitely was not expecting it! I have an interview set for next week at LMU, so it's nice to potentially have options even though WSU is my top choice.

As a first year applicant and only applying to three schools, I am very excited!

Congrats! That's a huge deal!

I'm from Arizona as well! :) Congrats!

Last edited by a moderator:
For verifying contact information, do you simply just look at it and make sure it's correct? This question is regarding the confirmation email they sent out (the much discussed email).

Congrats and best of luck to those of you who have received interviews! Have any non-resident/non-WICHE/WIMU applicants (strictly OOS, non-contract) received an invite?

Congrats and best of luck to those of you who have received interviews! Have any non-resident/non-WICHE/WIMU applicants (strictly OOS, non-contract) received an invite?

I don't think so. I don't think we will hear until early-mid December--at least that's how it went last year. They seem to be ahead of schedule, so perhaps late November.

Hey guys! does anyone who applied to WSU this cycle know when they send out invites for interviews? Particularly for WA residents? I'm dying just waiting around hahaha.thanks!

Hey guys! does anyone who applied to WSU this cycle know when they send out invites for interviews? Particularly for WA residents? I'm dying just waiting around hahaha.thanks!

I think that a lot of in-state people got interview invites at just about this time last year. Maybe within the next week or two?

Out of state applicants have until sometime in December, I think.

Got you covered :D

Ta-da! I looked back through the 2020 thread. Here are some things that might be helpful:

- Montana received interview invites first and interviewed around Thanksgiving (the lucky ducks)

- No Utah people posted, so unsure about their timeline

- Idaho and Washington received e-mail interview invitations during the early part of November (Nov 3rd through 9th roughly) with snail mail packets coming later

- Some WICHE people received snail mail letters that invited them to interview as OOS in case they didn't get funding from their state (Starting around Nov 9th) -> WICHE people are not interviewed unless they are being considered for OOS

- The first OOS to post with an interview invite was December 1st (again, e-mail)

- The trend seemed to be that interview invites and acceptances went out by e-mail, rejections by snail mail

- Rejection letters continued to be received until the end of December

This year WSU says that all decisions will be out by Dec 15, which probably means snail mail will continue to be delivered toward the end of December.

Oh man, I didn't realize the rejection letters went out by snail mail.

Oh man, I didn't realize the rejection letters went out by snail mail.
I don't understand why! I'd much rather open good news at the mailbox and find out the bad news immediately online than vice versa, ya know? I don't get their methods.

I don't understand why! I'd much rather open good news at the mailbox and find out the bad news immediately online than vice versa, ya know? I don't get their methods.

Do you know if some people get snail mail interview invites prior to getting an email? I guess I'll know my outcome if I see something in the mail before I see something online...sigh...

Do you know if some people get snail mail interview invites prior to getting an email? I guess I'll know my outcome if I see something in the mail before I see something online...sigh...

WICHE were the only to get good news by snail mail last year. All other interview invites and acceptances were email first and more info sent later by snail mail.

The portal updates via emails, too, so it won't tell you your fate unless you've already gotten an email as well.

But OOS still probably has a while to wait for good or bad news. So don't stress yet. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Any WICHE people get invites to interviews yet? Getting slightly nervous

As far as I know, they haven't even sent out IS invites yet (I'm IS). Seems they're taking longer?? I wouldn't worry yet. They have until Dec 15 I think.

But I feel you... Every day I wonder if this is going to be the day I get an invite:unsure:

As far as I know, they haven't even sent out IS invites yet (I'm IS). Seems they're taking longer?? I wouldn't worry yet. They have until Dec 15 I think.

But I feel you... Every day I wonder if this is going to be the day I get an invite:unsure:

I just stumbled upon this forum and was so relieved to see this post - I'm hoping this is the case for many IS folks.

I applied last year and made it onto the waitlist and remembered getting the invite email around November 6th. With each passing day, I was getting more and more convinced I'd missed the boat. I should be Tier 1 and was starting to wonder what I'd done wrong on my application!

I'd love to hear if other IS are experiencing the same - to alleviate nerves, if nothing else! And, so glad I stumbled across this page.