WVSOM Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am also curious about this... I know on the website they just put on Financial Aid Info up , but in regards to books and such nothing new since my "high five". Also, to current students do you bring your laptop to class or not? If so what kind do you have and do any of you use Macs?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Class of 2011! I am so excited to get a feel for who you are--I think we are going to have a blast. Everyone is so friendly and you "older and wiser" students are amazing! All the info and your advice has really impressed me! I went down to Lewisburg yesterday and met with people for about 8 hours looking at houses, etc--I think I may have found one, so I will probably be moving down there in about a month if anyone needs any help I would be happy to help out with anything I encountered while house hunting! Congratualtions to you all, and again, I think this is going to be quite the experience!

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone seems all tons of fun and incredibly excited. Am i the only one who veers from being excited to being absolutely terrified? Ive always lived in a big city close to my family so im a bit scared of living in a small town and feeling out of place or lonely.

I usually put off freaking out until absolutely necessary...LOL!

I'm originally from WV but I've lived in Michigan for most of my life, so I've seen the best of both worlds. As long as you are willing to try new things and just dont sit around there is tons to do. If you love outdoors stuff, let me know, I'd love to get some people together to go find something to do (I really want to get some people together to go white water rafting when the Gauley River opens up in September...)

As far as being terrified? Nah, impatient is more like it, haha. You'll be fine I'm sure.

Oh, and does anyone else realize that the movie Wrong Turn is supposed to take place in Greenbriar County? (God I hate that movie...they filmed it in Canada....WTF?)

I'm originally from WV but I've lived in Michigan for most of my life, so I've seen the best of both worlds. As long as you are willing to try new things and just dont sit around there is tons to do. If you love outdoors stuff, let me know, I'd love to get some people together to go find something to do (I really want to get some people together to go white water rafting when the Gauley River opens up in September...)

Im definitely into the outdoor stuff and id love to go rafting. Here in miami, the only outdoor things to do are ocean related (snorkeling etc), and while those are great during the summer, it would be awesome to go snowboarding or rafting .

OK Maybe one of you students can tell me where to post a rental property. Its in Lewisburg.it will be avail May 2007 reply to me @ [email protected] thanks

As far as being terrified? Nah, impatient is more like it, haha. You'll be fine I'm sure.

Oh, and does anyone else realize that the movie Wrong Turn is supposed to take place in Greenbriar County? (God I hate that movie...they filmed it in Canada....WTF?)

YES it was

I'm glad to hear it may not be long before we start to get some more info from the school. As for moving to WV man it's not that bad. Other than maybe being homesick for awhile you'll adjust fine. Moving to a smaller community is a lot different from moving to a city. Here in WV you'll find that not just the admissions committee is that nice but pretty much everyone you'll encounter will be. There's plenty of stuff to do so you won't have to worry about that. And if you ever get homesick just let me know I grew up about 2 1/2 hours Northwest of L-burg so I can always grab a few people and we can held on up to the homestead for a nice big home cooked meal.:thumbup:

I'm glad to hear it may not be long before we start to get some more info from the school. As for moving to WV man it's not that bad. Other than maybe being homesick for awhile you'll adjust fine. Moving to a smaller community is a lot different from moving to a city. Here in WV you'll find that not just the admissions committee is that nice but pretty much everyone you'll encounter will be. There's plenty of stuff to do so you won't have to worry about that. And if you ever get homesick just let me know I grew up about 2 1/2 hours Northwest of L-burg so I can always grab a few people and we can held on up to the homestead for a nice big home cooked meal.:thumbup:

Ditto for that, my grandparents live about 4 hours away and my hunting lodge is only about 2 1/2....haha, one big happy family down at WVSOM...:D

Yeah. I go to school in a small town, smaller than Lewisberg/Greenbrier county probably and there is usually something to do. And I am guessing with all the work with a 1st year medical student, there will not be much opportunities to get bored.

I'm looking forward to the outdoors when not at school. I like working out and being able to go on all the bike paths, running trails, hiking, etc. will be very fun and relaxing.

And as long as I can get a high speed internet connection where I live I'll be fine! :

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also curious about this... I know on the website they just put on Financial Aid Info up , but in regards to books and such nothing new since my "high five". Also, to current students do you bring your laptop to class or not? If so what kind do you have and do any of you use Macs?

Thanks

Oh yes we bring our laptops to class. How else can we goof off when the professor starts talking a foreign language; thus thats why I'm on the web now in class.

hey just wondering... i will be buying a new laptop for school and was wondering if to get a pc or a mac? whats the best to get for wvsom... i know the website says they have no support for macs but can they still work on the network?

Hello all! Well as time comes for our second deposit, I've decided to take up an offer of a different school. It was an absolute pleasure to meet all of you and I wish you the best at WVSOM!

Maybe after our 4 years, our paths will cross again and I will have the pleasure to work with some of you! Goodluck in all your future endeavors! :D

If you guys would put down your cell phone carriers and the one's you know of that are good in the area, that would be very helpful. Thanks

The two main cell service providers in L-burg are Cellone and US Cellular. I have US Cellular and it was fine. As for any of the others I couldn't tell ya.

I have and will keep cingular. It worked fine when I was there.

I have Verizon Wireless and it seemed to work without any issues while I was there :thumbup:

i have cingular too and it worked well when i was there...i had no issues

if I remember I had full bars with Verizon...

does anyone have any suggestions on where to live in lewisburg?

Verizon is money here

Yes, please let us know about laptop purchases! i really want to get a mac:rolleyes: !

I can tell you which service to absolutely avoid- t-mobile. I just came back from an interview and lacked service my whole time there.

hi, i just jumped in onto this forum so i have no idea if someone has answered the question of which services work or what doesn't. I am a 1st year, and i had the same problem last year with a t-moblie, but called up t-moblie and they told me that all i needed was a phone with a certain bandwidth (GSM 850) which most phones should have, but i at one time had quite a fancy phone. i now use a motorola rzr and it works fine. the GSM 850 basically roams off another network tower. something like that.

Yes, please let us know about laptop purchases! i really want to get a mac:rolleyes: !

Here's the current laptop requirements page.
http://www.wvsom.edu/ComputerServices/Docs/LaptopReq/

I know several people who use macs and I've never heard any complaints. Computer services recommends PC because they don't do any sort of tech support on macs though. Get something you'll be happy with because you will use it a lot.

Anyone with a significant other, my husband started a group on facebook for spouses. It is "WV SOM significant others". Please direct your spouse there. It would be nice for them to meet poeple before we move down there :D

Just to let everyone know I spoke with financial aid yesterday just to see if I needed to schedule an appt and she said that they just got the names of the individuals that sent in their 2nd deposit. They'll be sending out info regarding what we need to do (i.e. promissary note, required forms, etc.) this coming week. It will have a list of items and all we do is get on the website and all the info we need should be there. If you do want to schedule an appt. they will meet with you. I doubt all you out of state folk will schedule an appt. but it's an option if ya want it.

alright...so i'm confused as all hell when it comes to financial aid... i just got that email about steps to take from the financial aid office...and i was good until we got to the lenders part...

how do you pick a lender? and do i pick a lender now right after filling out the wvsom fin aid app?

oh man...my headache's coming back

Figured it out! I went through and figured how much interest I would be paying over 20 years for each loan. That helped me decide . :p I chose the one that I would owe the least interest after graduation (in case I consolidate) and over 20 years (if I don't consolidate.

Things are pretty hectic for them at the office at the moment, as all 200 of the current 1st year students are reworking their financial aid as well the 2nd years, and 3rd years are probably calling in with their own questions as well. But, the deadline for all of them to be done with that is April 1st, so in a week or so they shouldn't be so on edge. :laugh:

P.S. Medmom...that Dachsund looks scared to death. HAHAHA

hey medmom - if you find out any info from your financial aid office, please post on here or facebook. you're the best! :thumbup:

:clap: does anyone else like this little guy? he brightens my day....

alright...so i'm confused as all hell when it comes to financial aid... i just got that email about steps to take from the financial aid office...and i was good until we got to the lenders part...

how do you pick a lender? and do i pick a lender now right after filling out the wvsom fin aid app?

oh man...my headache's coming back

here mary, take two of these and call me in the morning.....

(i'm good at this whole doctor thing eh?) :D

Hey, you guys could forget financial aid and join the miliatry like I did....no life/career impacting consequences in that right?....:laugh:

does anyone have any suggestions on where to live in lewisburg?

Best locations... Lewisburg

Secondary... Fairlea, and the area on the other side of the expressway

Worst... Ronceverte, and White Sulfur Springs.

This comes from a lot of feedback from students here... hope it helps.

~"The Don"

I chose Ed America myself, and it was pretty painless. If you've got questions, AIM me when I'm on.

~"The Don"

Anyone with a significant other, my husband started a group on facebook for spouses. It is "WV SOM significant others". Please direct your spouse there. It would be nice for them to meet poeple before we move down there :D

There is a club on campus, called the Student Auxillary Association (or something like that)... Essentially, it's the wives'/husbands'/signif others' club. If anyone's interested, AIM me (not sdn mail), and I'll get you the email address for the point of contact for that.

~"The Don"

"P.S. Medmom...that Dachsund looks scared to death. HAHAHA"

You know I've worked as a vet's assistant for a long time, and that's just not standard procedure for anything I've learned....(not to mention the parasites that we can get from dogs - shots of fenbendazole anyone?...yikes....) :smuggrin:

(sorry for all the posts guys, but I'm incredibly bored at work...anything to pass the time am I right?) haha

There are a few with MACs... I wouldn't recommend them, but that's because I'm a PC guy...

A word of GREAT WISDOM.... look in the OfficeMax and OfficeDepot flyers in your area. They both tend to compete, and will lower laptop prices to an amazingly low price. What they'll do is have you buy the laptop with a $100 in store discount, but they'll give you like a $200-$300 mail in rebate. It takes 6 weeks to get the check, but it's worth it. I have two laptops myself, a regular one and a tablet, and I saved A LOT by doing this. Check it out... it's worth it.

~"The Don"

US CELLULAR Never had a problem

US Cellular has the monopoly on local service down here... from what I've heard, it's lousy anywhere else. As for Verizon, I've personally had no complaints. Just make sure that you're on their national plan, as there are no local towers for it and most other cellular services down here.

~"The Don"

here mary, take two of these and call me in the morning.....

(i'm good at this whole doctor thing eh?) :D

Hey, you guys could forget financial aid and join the miliatry like I did....no life/career impacting consequences in that right?....:laugh:

well i would if i could but that's not gonna happen this year now is it...

i'll work on that next year... but for now i'll take your two and hope the headache subsides...if not...expect a call

but medmom...that's a good idea...maybe i'll sched an appointment with my financial aid people here at rutgers...let's see how this goes

FOR THE RECORD: The avatar pic, albeit funny, it NOT me! I am blonde with 2 Boston Terriers. No wienie dogs here.