WVSOM Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rock-on!

Members don't see this ad.

Boston Terriers rule! But Dachsunds are awesome too. Gah! Who would win!?!?

Boston Terrier vs. Dachsund

Stats:

Boston Terrier

Pros:
Size Advantage
High Energy
Greater Physical Strength

Cons:
Not too bright on average
Short attention span
Prefers to play than fight

Dachsund

Pros:
Smart
Fast
Small, and therefore hard to grapple

Cons:
Weaker
Smaller, and therefore easily hurt
Less energetic

Boston Terriers rule! But Dachsunds are awesome too. Gah! Who would win!?!?

Boston Terrier vs. Dachsund

Stats:

Boston Terrier

Pros:
Size Advantage
High Energy
Greater Physical Strength

Cons:
Not too bright on average
Short attention span
Prefers to play than fight

Dachsund

Pros:
Smart
Fast
Small, and therefore hard to grapple

Cons:
Weaker
Smaller, and therefore easily hurt
Less energetic

You haven't ever had a Boston have you?? Boston's are VERY smart, easy to train and neither has real high energy. In fact my male is a lazy bone. I LOVE my Bostons though. More pros: Very loyal, great with kids, NEVERY bark, love the car, easy to take places, easily house trained, the list goes on and on. :p :love: :love: :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Well the 2 that I've owned must have been of the mentally challenged variety. They never did learn tricks, sometimes couldn't recognize me if I left the room for too long and came back, and were always running around being crazy. But don't get me wrong, I think Boston Terriers rule because of how hyper they are (at least the ones I had).

On the flip side, the Dachsunds I've owned had all the pro's/con's I listed. They enjoyed their play, sure, but they much preferred to just chill in someone's lap while they were either reading or watching TV, and snag an occasional petting while sleeping. They were also incredibly smart and obedient.

Until you can prove to me though that calm Boston Terriers do exist, I'm calling shenanigans on that claim :laugh: .

We have this lady that comes into our clinic that breeds Boston Terriers as show dogs. A couple of their dogs actually made it to Westminster. I wasn't a fan of the Boston at first, but they've grown on me over the last three years. I was debating getting a dog coming down to medical school and she offered to sell me one. Guess how much? No, go ahead guess? $1200! Yep, I didn't put an extra zero on that. Pretty good Bostons eh? Instead I almost adopted a three legged American Bull Dog....coolest dog in the world! Plus what woman could resist a man who adopted a three legged dog? :D

You forgot one downside of Dachsunds though...they are little land sharks! (but what small dog isn't? maybe it's just because I come at them with needles? hmmm a possibility???)

We have this lady that comes into our clinic that breeds Boston Terriers as show dogs. A couple of their dogs actually made it to Westminster. I wasn't a fan of the Boston at first, but they've grown on me over the last three years. I was debating getting a dog coming down to medical school and she offered to sell me one. Guess how much? No, go ahead guess? $1200! Yep, I didn't put an extra zero on that. Pretty good Bostons eh? Instead I almost adopted a three legged American Bull Dog....coolest dog in the world! Plus what woman could resist a man who adopted a three legged dog? :D

You forgot one downside of Dachsunds though...they are little land sharks! (but what small dog isn't? maybe it's just because I come at them with needles? hmmm a possibility???)

I paid $400 for my male and $450 for my female. No champion blood lines or anything but great dogs non the less.

Ok, who needs roommates? PM me on here or message me if you have AIM. I just turned 24, graduated undergrad last May, I'm really into music and mountain biking, and I'm a pretty mellow dude. Talk to you soon.

Hey guys, I'm looking for a place to live next year...been procrastinating a little. Anyway, I would prefer living with a roommate instead of by myself, and I kind of remember hearing about a list of people looking for roommates while at my interview. The only thing I see on the site is the housing directory though, which would involve me renting a place on my own or renting a 2 bedroom place and trying to find someone else to live with.

Soo, does anyone know of a place to look for roommates, preferably other students? And if there is anyone here that needs a roommate you can contact me by e-mail at [email protected]. Oh yea, I'm 22 and male...if you have any other questions I'll be glad to answer them.

I might be looking for a roommate. But...

I get up early (with SBL I'll probably get up before 6 to get in a workout), I do not like loud music or music while studying, I don't like small dogs and would prefer no animals, I also go to bed early and I do not party and do not drink.

Just trying to get out my little routines since living with someone and not knowing the little routines can cause a lot of tension!

Hey all. Glad to be a part of the twenty-eleven. Gonna (try) to look for a place this month. What a way to spend your 30th b-day. Anyone else who will be 30-something starting med school?

PS - Jack Russell's are high maintenance but much fun. If I could have any dog, it would be an Anatolian Shepherd. Dat's a big pony right dere.

Hey all. Glad to be a part of the twenty-eleven. Gonna (try) to look for a place this month. What a way to spend your 30th b-day. Anyone else who will be 30-something starting med school?

PS - Jack Russell's are high maintenance but much fun. If I could have any dog, it would be an Anatolian Shepherd. Dat's a big pony right dere.

I think everyone has been hanging out over on facebook a little more lately. our group is "WV SOM 2011"

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm very excited.

And I've also been hearing some exciting news about HPSP. Supposedly there is not a signing bonus and you get to draw O-1 pay as an inactive reservist... nice.

I am also looking forward to the SBL. I like PBL but I think the focus of SBL and knowing that that is what will be on all the later exams will be a definite plus.

But anyway I am still thinking about getting a roommate, but I wont really bed decided for another month or so. Hopefully the vacancies around WVSOM do not fill up before.

Hi,
If anyone is looking for a roommate, let me know. I will be in Lewisburg this weekend checking out some places. I am a 26 yo female and I have dogs (crate-trained, non-destructive, loving and remain in crates when I am not home). My email is [email protected].
Thanks!

Hi all,

I have been trying for some time to find where I can get the documents I need to fully register. I guess I need the medical forms such an immunizations and the health checklist? And proof of selective service.

Does anyone know where I can get them? I login on the address from the sheet they sent with my acceptance notification but I can't find anything.

Thanks.

Just do what I did and harass the nice folks at admissions until they break and tell you what you need. :laugh:

Can anyone from the class of 2010 give me a rough estimate on the amount of utilities they pay per month for their apartment/house? I know it varies from property to property, depending on what is included with rent, but it would be nice to have an average. thanks

I'm sorry, but does anyone have a link to any of these forms? I can't find them anywhere and I want to get them in before it is too late...

But anyway, has anyone heard on housing? Is it filling up? I don't think I will get there until early May to find stuff.

Ive been accepted to WVSOM and i really liked it however being out of state the cost is huge...
Is anyone else from out of state concerned or anyone currently attending have any advice on the subject...worries, concerns, ect...

I am from Pittsburgh, and I am married with a son. My Wife and Son are coming with me and we will be living at Woodland Akers. I am very concerned about money problems, being that I am already in debt from my undergrad. Yeah, I started my medical pursuit a bit late, but I am not quite a fossil, yet...

1 - Medical Insurance - Did anyone receive anything yet from the school about medical insurance? Also, do you have the option to insure children?

2 - White Coat Ceremony - Does anyone know when the white coat ceremony is for WVSOM? Is it straight away or after your first year is complete? I am asking because I am sure my mother wants to attend and I want to give her some type of timeline.

3 - Are any of you "out-of state" students panicking about the huge cost? God help us...

4 - Last but not least, ANYONE, male or female, who wants to organize occasional pick-up games of Ultimate Frisbee please contact me!

1 - Medical Insurance - Did anyone receive anything yet from the school about medical insurance? Also, do you have the option to insure children?

2 - White Coat Ceremony - Does anyone know when the white coat ceremony is for WVSOM? Is it straight away or after your first year is complete? I am asking because I am sure my mother wants to attend and I want to give her some type of timeline.

3 - Are any of you "out-of state" students panicking about the huge cost? God help us...

4 - Last but not least, ANYONE, male or female, who wants to organize occasional pick-up games of Ultimate Frisbee please contact me!

I am wondering many of the same questions but mostly I wanted to say that we (meaning husband and I) both play frisbee golf. Know of any courses? We would be interested in playing.

I am wondering many of the same questions but mostly I wanted to say that we (meaning husband and I) both play frisbee golf. Know of any courses? We would be interested in playing.

Well, Tonight is the first night I have ever even heard of Frisbee or Disc Golf. I looked it up on wikipedia. Seems like horseshoes but only with a disc? Anyway, there are two main fields at WVSOM that have lots of room. I was wondering if there is a rubberized track close by? Thanks in advance for anyone who may provide information on this.

No frisbee golf in WV as far as I know of; I grew up here and had never heard of it until my brother moved to Louisville, KY. There's a high school about 2 miles from WVSOM and they may have a track, and there is one around the basketball court in the WVSOM gym; however it's really small.

The closest course is about 35 miles away in Hico, WV. So unless you're really dedicated, it's a bit of a drive. You could always make one up on campus though?

Hey guys, It's Hugo. My account possibly hijacked over at facebook. Please email me back on here if someone is posting strage things using my name. I cannot sign into the system because it is not recognizing my password, or even my email account.

On another note, I woke up around 6:00 tonight (I work midnights) and I noticed the incident at Virginia Tech. A gunman went insane and started shooting around the campus, and then took his own life. Thirty-three dead, which is the body count including the crazy gunman. Rest in peace to the thirty-two dead. As for the other one, I don't think I can post the words on this site.

Hugo

Okay, my facebook is back to normal. I'm not really sure what happened to it, but it's back up and running.

1. Yea, the school sends you a packet with some recommended insurance plans in the summer. Basically, its up to you to get the plan that works the best. If you are relatively healthy, then get a cheap plan because the school has a clinic right across the street that is pretty good at not charging students outrageous fees (like we will do as doctors..lol)

2. Our white coat ceremony was the first week of September, so I bet yours will be around the same time. Just call the alumni office and they can tell you the exact date.

3. Yea, I panick occasionally, but I'm glad that I chose this place. I know that I'll pay it back eventually.

4. As for Ultimate Frisbee, one of the anatomy professors has dibs on playing it every Wednesday night already. They usually have a pretty good crowd (except when it snows)

Hey, for anyone that is considering the PBL route, please email me at [email protected].

I would like to get an idea of how many are considering that route, as well as to walk through the process with each of you... that way, you've got all of the details worked-out ahead of time. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

~"The Don"

I'm considering but I have not said anything to WVSOM. Is it too late?

I'm considering but I have not said anything to WVSOM. Is it too late?

To get into the PBL program, you will have to write a short essay saying why you want to be in the program. Usually, the essay is due sometime in the spring. You might want to give admissions or Dr. M's secretary a call to find out the deadline.

Ladies and Gentleman, may I present to you the O school war dance.:laugh:

IMG_0410.jpg

hey everyone,

i'll actually be joining you all this fall down in lewisburg. i'm really excited, and a little nervous too. i mean, who isn't?! the town looks great though. i can definitely picture myself appreciating the lack of distraction once i'm down there versus big city life with friends and family around to aid in my procrastination. contemplating the investment of a mountain bike too, but we'll see. can't wait to meet you all and get this journey started. in the meantime, have a great rest of the spring and enjoy this last summer of being stress-free!

Hey.. I posted before, but in case some you newbies didn't see. If you moving and don't feel like hauling too much furniture from where you are coming from, I have a bed and futon for sale. I'll be here all summer. So just let me know (PM me).

Hassan

Yes, thats me burning my wretched scrubs. What a joy! Nice pick Cats and Cradles, didn't knew you took it.

That was you?

I can't make out the faces in any of the pictures. I didn't set the camera to shutter correctly. Everything is blurry:laugh:

I'm from D.C. will be joining you guys in the fall:) , and I intend to be in the PBL class. Are there any books you guys are studying in preparation?

Hey all,

I'm actually down in Lewisburg right now, and found a great townhouse right behind school - next to the Woodland Akres apartments. If anyone is looking for a roommate and wants to be RIGHT behind school, walking distance, in a nice updated 2BR/1.5BA townhouse, let me know! I hear the wait-list is about 50 people deep for Woodland Akres, so this is pure luck that this opened up! I'd like to put down a deposit while I'm here, but am a little nervous about not finding someone to live with and share the costs of utilities.

If anyone (girls preferred, sorry guys!) is interested, feel free to email me at [email protected] or call my cell at 215-565-5304.

Let me know, the earlier the better!

Hey all,
I am looking for a roomate. I live in a 4 bedroom house right behind the school. Its walking distance, in a really nice quiet neighborhood. There are lots of WVSOM students nearby. I'm looking for a girl (no boys allowed!) its a really nice house, and there is lots of space. If you're interested then please email me at [email protected]. Thanks and good luck with everything!!

Hi
I was accepted back in Sept in early admissions protocol.
I was also accepted to a few other schools but chose WV for many reasons.

I am originally from Pittsburgh but have lived in Seattle for many years.
I will be moving there with my hubby and son (born march of this year!) shortly...hope it is not too late for housing, kind of got stuck here in WA state.

I look forward to meeting you all in August!

I just finished my first year at WVSOM and I just wanted to give the incoming first years a heads up on insurance (since most are getting ready to find some). SOMA is good financially, but this is only good if you just need a physical. With insurance, if you go to the clinic, the school will cover what the insurance won't---but this doesn't include labs (this means blood tests, paps, etc). These tests add up and SOMA pays very minimal. Also, I learned the hard way that if anything goes wrong with you healthwise, you will truly see how little they cover. I am telling y'all because I wish someone had told me. Think carefully about your insurance coverage. Talk to the different companies and find out before you sign up what they really will/will not cover. Congrats to all on your acceptances. WVSOM is so awesome and I hope y'all will enjoy med school as much as I have.

I will be an incoming student this fall looking for a roomate. The place is brand new about a mile from school and the rent would be $500 plus utlities. Probably one of the nicest places you ll find in Lewisburg. Email me at [email protected] for pic

Hello all incoming students and congratulations!

I am a 3rd year PBL student so if anyone has questions don't hesitate to e-mail me as I am very familiar with the entire PBL process start to finish!

I just wanted to post a house which just came available for rent/sale. The house is a 3 bedroom 2 bath home located right on Lee st. about as close to the school as you can get. The home is 100% remodeled with beautiful maple hardwood floors new kitchen and all new appliances. The bathrooms are also 100% new with travertine and slate. Great front porch to study and relax on. Back of house has porch and patio as well. This home was redone for my family to live in and not with the idea of "this will be a rental" but because I could not get rotations in this area I will be going to Clarksburg and we will be renting it out. The home is currently on the market with Coldwell Banker and can be sold or rented. Perfect for a family or a couple students coming in. If you want to see pictures or would like details please e-mail [email protected].

If you just have questions about WVSOM again feel free to ask away.

Geoffrey Glebus