WVSOM Discussion Thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accept Applicant. 😀 I'll be joining the WVSOM Class of 2012!!! YAH!

I interviewed on 1 Feb 08. The fast turn around from interview to decision is much appreciated. Everyone was great, Annette is a savior if you hit a snag or are feeling nervous.

Where should I start my housing search? I'm told that I should get a jump on that yesterday. Has anyone else from my interview day heard back yet?
 
in reference to taking out the whole loans. I think most people do for this first year. Also, those that ran out of money before the end of the semester... many had a few to many fun weekends (ie. the fort), and went out to eat a lot. I am supporting my husband and three kids on my loans alone. Rent for my three bedroom, 1900 sq. foot house is $750/month. A gallon of milk is $4, gas is $2.99, most people live within 5 miles of school, and most of my class is using their loan money to go on a cruise over spring break. So, cost of living is pretty reasonable. The financial aid office usually says to take out what you think you need most people take ou the full mount and at the end of first semester if you have money left still than just don't take the full second disbursement.
 
Thanks, sherruns!!! But I'm already in at WVSOM, which is excellent... just waiting to hear about the getting off the waitlist at TouroCOM

meggielou-
I have an interview with wvsom 2/22/08 and I really like the school. I have an acceptance from tourocom ny and I was wondering whether you would rather go to touro or to wvsom and why. I know it's a little early to try to decide between the two since I haven't even interviewed yet so I don't even know if I'll get in, but I guess I just wanted to know your opinion on the two schools..thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
meggielou-
I have an interview with wvsom 2/22/08 and I really like the school. I have an acceptance from tourocom ny and I was wondering whether you would rather go to touro or to wvsom and why. I know it's a little early to try to decide between the two since I haven't even interviewed yet so I don't even know if I'll get in, but I guess I just wanted to know your opinion on the two schools..thanks!

I just PMed you back, feel free to ask any more questions 🙂
 
Hey everyone, I interviewed on the Feb 4th, I was wondering if there has been anyone from that interview date that has received word back yet? The wait is killing me and it has only been a little over a week. thanks
 
Hey everyone, I interviewed on the Feb 4th, I was wondering if there has been anyone from that interview date that has received word back yet? The wait is killing me and it has only been a little over a week. thanks

I don't know specifically about your interview date, but I was the day (Friday vs. Monday) before yours and found out last week on the 7th. Annette explained it to me that the committee makes decisions on applicant files on Tuesdays.
 
thanks, yeah she had told us that they meet on tuesdays too, but she said that we would probably not be reviewed until at least two Tuesdays from then, as my interview was on Monday.
 
I'm heading to WV for my interview on Monday!! Starting to get really nervous...this is my first interview!

Will anyone else be there?!
 
I'm heading to WV for my interview on Monday!! Starting to get really nervous...this is my first interview!

Will anyone else be there?!

Good luck allisome ! FYI, my WVSOM interview was the most pleasant and relaxed out of my experiences on the interview trail. Good luck to you :luck:
 
I'm heading to WV for my interview on Monday!! Starting to get really nervous...this is my first interview!

Will anyone else be there?!

G'luck might be appropriate but a smile is more useful than luck. There is no need to be nervous. At WVSOM it's like having a conversation. Have fun!
 
G'luck might be appropriate but a smile is more useful than luck. There is no need to be nervous. At WVSOM it's like having a conversation. Have fun!


Thanks y'all! I actually just got off the phone with Angie to clear up a few last minute details and discuss sitting in on a lecture that morning, and I couldn't believe how nice she was! I know a lot of extremely nice people, but seriously she probably has all of them beat. It definitely made me a lot more comfortable talking to her, because she said she will be taking care of all the interviewees the day I'm there. (I guess she's taking Annette's place for the day) But anyways, thanks again you guys, and I'll let ya know how it goes!
 
Seriously, relax for the interview. I felt like my interviews did a lot more talking then I did, trying to convince me to go the school. It felt good not to be berated, and actually be treated like a human being.
 
Sitting in on a lecture won't happen for you sadly. I know for a fact the first years are testing Monday and Tuesday, and I believe the second years are having a test Monday as well. Not sure about them though. May be wrong.

Good luck in your interview though!
 
i'll be starting at wvsom in the fall!! it's going to rock (well, minus the sleep deprivation, little time to eat, and the long study hours, that is)!!! :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does WVSOM provide the SBL students with class notes/powerpoints in paper format before lecture? They didnt talk about that at my interview and I was just curious.
 
I am PBL but I believe that notes are available in their mailboxes before lectures. They are also available on the web if you prefer computer/powerpoint. Us that are PBL have access to the powerpoints and the audio of any lectures as well.
 
Current students: There are a few DO schools that people on this forum and others in the medical community consider to be the best DO schools. Did any of you choose WVSOM over other more respected (and less expensive) schools? If so, why did you choose WVSOM?

Thank you.
 
Current students: There are a few DO schools that people on this forum and others in the medical community consider to be the best DO schools. Did any of you choose WVSOM over other more respected (and less expensive) schools? If so, why did you choose WVSOM?

Thank you.


What a strange question, I was kind of under the impression that WVSOM was an excellent school with a fantastic reputation.
 
Current students: There are a few DO schools that people on this forum and others in the medical community consider to be the best DO schools. Did any of you choose WVSOM over other more respected (and less expensive) schools? If so, why did you choose WVSOM?

Thank you.

I'm not a current student, but I've had ties to the school for quite some time. Their job is to train clinicians. Having spent serious time at a school that was dedicated primarily to research for undergrad, I learned that the faculty's minds at research institutions can be off their students. WVSOM is first and foremost a medical school dedicated to training doctors, not conducting research. For me this was a big sell as I know the faculty will be there about me rather than for a project. Research plays such a large roll in the "prestige" factor, and I'm not sure that's always a good thing.

I know alumni of PCOM, WVSOM, and Kirksville. My impression was always that the WVSOM alumni always had a very close knit community comparatively speaking. That's not to say they didn't have things to offer, just that the WVSOM community and mission were closer to what I wanted.
 
Thank you for your response WVPanther. I hope my post did not offend anyone. It was not intended to offend.

I really liked WVSOM when I visited. The people were extremely nice and I truly fell in love with the school. I had such a positive experience at WVSOM. I guess I am just wondering why more people are not talking about WVSOM. I have been accepted to several other schools as well as WVSOM and I am trying to justify to myself (and my family) why I should pay $15,000 more per year to attend WVSOM when I can attend other schools who seem to have better name recognition if nothing more.
 
Soca , we are in the same boat buddy. I had such a great experience with WVSOM i am finding it very hard to let them go. Its been since early sept. since I interviewed. I am heading back to lewisburg to get another look and then will make a decision so somebody else can have my seat. Wherever that vacancy will be, I dunno yet.
 
Soca , we are in the same boat buddy. I had such a great experience with WVSOM i am finding it very hard to let them go. Its been since early sept. since I interviewed. I am heading back to lewisburg to get another look and then will make a decision so somebody else can have my seat. Wherever that vacancy will be, I dunno yet.

I hope we get you.
 
Soca , we are in the same boat buddy. I had such a great experience with WVSOM i am finding it very hard to let them go. Its been since early sept. since I interviewed. I am heading back to lewisburg to get another look and then will make a decision so somebody else can have my seat. Wherever that vacancy will be, I dunno yet.

I have turned down other programs as well, most recently PCOM, in favor of WVSOM. My road to medical school has been a long and bumpy one, but I am convinced that this is the school for me. I was treated with such respect on my interview day, which is in sharp contrast to other programs. I will never understand why some interviewers, who are representing a school, find it necessary to berate prospective students. My experience at WVSOM was so pleasant and it just felt right. The facilities are amazing and the school really believes in investing in the most up to date technology to provide students with a strong education.

I have recently emailed many students to ask them what it was about WVSOM that convinced them to attend. The responses have been unanimous in that the faculty and staff really care about the students as evidenced by providing enormous support and make themselves available to help out. I have had students tell me that professors invite students into their homes to provide extra help if needed. This is exactly the type of school I want to attend and one I am confident will train me to be a competent and compassionate doctor.

As far as reputation, I think WVSOM is really one of the best-kept secrets in the premedical community. Most premeds do not recognize this school as being one of the outstanding DO programs. The school is recognized by U.S. News and World Report as being among the top 50 U.S. medical schools for top primary care medical schools (US News Rankings). Furthermore, of all the osteopathic schools, only WVSOM and Michigan State made the list. Also, while on the interview trail, several interviewers commented on how great West Virginia’s program is including a surgeon from KCOM who was rather rude through most of the interview.

Take my advice for what it is, but I wanted to chime in and state my opinion. I normally just sit back and read posts rather than actively participate in discussion, but I am hoping my feedback will help those that are on the fence.
 
I have my interview March 3rd. Anyone else? And does anyone have an interview at a later date? I'm curious how late WVSOM performs interiviews...

I'm excited!!! I've heard essentially nothing but fantastic things about the school. I'm planning on attending a PBL session at 8:30 that Monday morning. Anyone perhaps in that class? Any current PBL students that could give me an "insider view?"
 
Just interviewed yesterday at WVSOM and loved it! 😀 Everybody was so nice, especially Angie, and the Dean was awesome too! I couldn't believe how conversational the interview was. All the staff and the students I met seemed to have such a sense of pride about the school, and I really liked that. The town was so cute and I really think I could see myself living there and going to school there. Now I have to wait and see if I get in....
 
Does WVSOM provide the SBL students with class notes/powerpoints in paper format before lecture? They didnt talk about that at my interview and I was just curious.

The professors try to provide us with the paper lectures a week prior to the actual lecture. You won't get a full set of paper slides from each professor (some just give objectives) but most will provide you with them. Hope this helps.
 
"Accept Aplicant", i got the news today. Man I am excited, hope to see you all there. Goodluck Allisome!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yeah I know, finally. Now i just need to find a place to stay, does anyone have any suggestions? I called one property management place and they said that they have no rentals available.
 
yeah I know, finally. Now i just need to find a place to stay, does anyone have any suggestions? I called one property management place and they said that they have no rentals available.

There should be a listing on the WVSOM website, in the same place you checked to see whether you were accepted or not. You can search by type of housing, number of rooms, etc. Good luck!
 
yeah I know, finally. Now i just need to find a place to stay, does anyone have any suggestions? I called one property management place and they said that they have no rentals available.

The housing directory should show up once the admissions office has received your first deposit.
 
How long did it take you to get your acceptance after your interview and everything was in?
 
I wanna say it took about 2 weeks for me...I was checking that website like a mad woman. 🙂
 
I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who checks the website like a mad woman!
 
Thanks so much, the reply was informative and appreciated! 👍
Be happy that they haven't gotten back to you. Go to another medical school, I am a current student and am absolutely, 100% regretful of having accepted to go here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
meggielou-
I have an interview with wvsom 2/22/08 and I really like the school. I have an acceptance from tourocom ny and I was wondering whether you would rather go to touro or to wvsom and why. I know it's a little early to try to decide between the two since I haven't even interviewed yet so I don't even know if I'll get in, but I guess I just wanted to know your opinion on the two schools..thanks!

Accept at any other school; you will thank me later! I'm a student. MANY of my friends and I are extremely unhappy here. Just my (and their) opinion, take it as you like.
 
Be happy that they haven't gotten back to you. Go to another medical school, I am a current student and am absolutely, 100% regretful of having accepted to go here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you mind elaborating on this statement. I thought the school was awesome when I interviewed there.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accept at any other school; you will thank me later! I'm a student. MANY of my friends and I are extremely unhappy here. Just my (and their) opinion, take it as you like.


If your are going to make such strong statements, you need to back them up with reasons. Please explain why you are so unhappy.
 
If your are going to make such strong statements, you need to back them up with reasons. Please explain why you are so unhappy.

agreed. Is it just the stress of med school in general, or specifically WVSOM?
 
Accept at any other school; you will thank me later! I'm a student. MANY of my friends and I are extremely unhappy here. Just my (and their) opinion, take it as you like.

obvious troll. where is this person now after being challenged?😡
 
obvious troll. where is this person now after being challenged?😡


Not a troll.

Just a student who doesn't like OMT (and thinks it's pointless to do 2 years of it) and who is extremely unhappy with PBL (which is the cirriculum path they have *CHOSEN*)...
 
meggielou-
I have an interview with wvsom 2/22/08 and I really like the school. I have an acceptance from tourocom ny and I was wondering whether you would rather go to touro or to wvsom and why. I know it's a little early to try to decide between the two since I haven't even interviewed yet so I don't even know if I'll get in, but I guess I just wanted to know your opinion on the two schools..thanks!


WVSOM easily unseated Touro NY for me. If you'd like to know the reasons, shoot me a PM and I'll happily tell you. 🙂