This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachBU

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I need some input. I took the MCAT for the first time last month and received my score today, and I don't know what to think. I am questioning everything. I'll give you a rough outline of my "stats" and I would really, greatly appreciate if some of you experts out there could weigh-in on what you think my chances are for getting into medical school. Thank you so so much in advance!!

- graduated from Boston University 2016 with GPA 3.75, magnum cum laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
- studied abroad in Italy with full cultural immersion (fluent in Italian)
- volunteer experience: Boston Children's Hospital (4 years now), various leadership/mentoring roles at BU's community service center, WWOOFing
- work experience: peer tutor, lab assistant, childcare provider
- shadow experience: brief periods at Mass Gen and Boston Children's
- MCAT score: overall 503 (63 percentile) - physics/chem 125 (57 percentile), CARS 125 (62 percentile), bio/biochem 129 (92 percentile), psych/soc 124 (44 percentile)

I am taking (at least) two gap years during which I am volunteering abroad in India for 3 months with an NGO that works to improve maternal and child health, and when I return I will begin working as an EMT with a local private ambulance company. I'm also continuing my volunteer position at BCH.

Members don't see this ad.

Where is your state of residence? You are competitive for many DO schools so apply to at least 10 and you should receive several interviews.You may need a DO LOR for some schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Where is your state of residence? You are competitive for many DO schools so apply to at least 10 and you should receive several interviews.You may need a DO LOR for some schools.

I live in Massachusetts.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you retake your MCAT and improve your score to about 513 or higher I think you still have a good chance for MD schools. My first MCAT was about the same as yours and I've been doing okay this cycle thus far. :)

I know increasing your score by 10 points sounds a bit challenging, but it's definitely doable! Consider retaking the MCAT if you are taking 2 gap years. I know a few people (myself included) who were able to improve that much. If you are determined enough and study hard, I believe you can do it.

I live in Massachusetts.
Your MCAT is less than the 10% for UMass Medical School but since it is your state school apply there. If you could increase your MCAT to 508 or higher you would be competitive for more MD schools but with your current score you are fine for many DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user