Your Favorite Books!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smileystar5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! there used to be a thread somewhere about veterinary books that were fun to read (ie. All Creatures Great and Small). I was hoping to dig into some that were recommended this break... but I can't find it! SO! What are some great books we should all read?:D

Members don't see this ad.

This thread is a little off topic, lol. I am heavily into zoological medicine, and my favorite book is "The Rhino with the Glued on Shoes." It is a mixture of vignettes by different zoological vets, both board cert and not, about their favorite or most memorable experience as a zoo/exotics/wildlife vet. I suggest it to anyone who is interested in working at a zoo's vet service.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tell Me Where It Hurts
I Make Horse Calls

The Irish R.M., although it's a bit hard to find. Absolutely hilarious read.

Great thread!

Anything by James Herriot (for all of us Captain Obvious folks out there!)
"Tell Me Where it Hurts"
Human medicine, but fantastic for anyone going into the health sciences - "Intern" and "Complications"
Fiction but still wonderful - "The Plague Dogs"

Alex and Me. True story about Alex the parrot and the intelligence of African Grey parrots. A truly inspirational and emotional story based on scientific studies. Be warned: keep a box of kleenex near when reading it!!!!;)
http://www.alexfoundation.org/Alex_and_me.html
I loved Alex and Me! The day I heard that Alex had died, I nearly cried... especially after hearing what he said to her before bed! BTW Dr. Pepperberg will be speaking at the Midwest Bird Expo if anyone wanted to know.

I just finished Equine ER..if you are looking to go into the equine field I would def. read this. The author spent a year following the vets at Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital (I want to work there eventually)and talks about some of the cases. Great book and give you a small glimpse into that hospital.

I am going to start reading Tell Me Where It Hurts. Cant wait!

I loved Alex and Me! The day I heard that Alex had died, I nearly cried... especially after hearing what he said to her before bed! BTW Dr. Pepperberg will be speaking at the Midwest Bird Expo if anyone wanted to know.

I know the feeling!!! I cried through most of that book!! Dr. Pepperberg is my hero and I would love to attend the bird expo. Do you have the dates?

I think that there was a previous forum on this topic of favorite books....twelvetigers????????? We need you!!!Are you slacking? Or too busy creating your latest and greatest animated avatar? Probably making the movie avatar your avatar!!!:D

A pretty good layman's book about kitties:

OUTWITTING CATS

Members don't see this ad :)
ooo. One book I forgot to even mention, and I am kicking myself, is Karyn Prior's Don't Shoot the Dog. It is the best training manual you will ever find.

Appointment At The Ends Of The World by William B. Karesh, D.V.M. A really great book on wildlife medicine.

It's not a Vet book, but Dairy Queen by [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Catherine Gilbert Murdock. a really good story set on a dairy farm in Wisconsin. It is the first book in a trilogy. I got a hold of the audio book and the reader is a perfect fit, narrating the story with her WI/MN accent. I think anyone who grew up on a dairy farm or loves sports will really enjoy this book.

-Animals in Translation: Using the Mysteries of Autism to Decode Animal Behavior
-Animals Make Us Human: Creating the Best Life for Animals

Both are by Dr. Temple Grandin, excellent books! I loved them, and refer back to them quite a bit.

And Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach (human medicine, but an awesome book!) :D

Hmm..and a total pleasure read that I loved, The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

Just read Animal Hospital last week...can't say I really enjoyed it though:cool:

Reason for Hope - Jane Goodall
A Sand County Almanac - Aldo Leopold

For anyone interested in dog training "The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Pat Miller is superb!!! I swear by this book, and it has been my training manual for over 6 years.

Also the chicken soup for the pet/horse lover's soul are always a good read.

Yikes! From the Back Row is listed for like $50 on amazon and ebay. I was eager to read it, but now probably never will.