Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Your real career options with a PharmD

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by stoichiometrist, Jan 31, 2017.

1. stoichiometrist

7+ Year Member

upload_2017-1-31_18-33-45.png

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Hohohee1

2+ Year Member

I love retail and dealing with crazy customers, that's what makes it fun ! :nod:

3. stoichiometrist

7+ Year Member

To make it more fun, you should max out your loans and make it a game to pay it all off within your lifetime.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Dalteparin, Jaycorro24 and Hohohee1 like this.
  4. Amicable Angora

Amicable Angora Lagomorpha
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Start your career on "hard mode" by spending your loans on luxury purchases like new cars!

5. Hohohee1

2+ Year Member

I'll make it so my children's children will have to pay it off, just like Stanley Yelnats's curse in Holes :roflcopter:

lalaland33 likes this.
  6. The Recoverer

The Recoverer Poppin' Bottles
    Verified Account 5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
  7. steveysmith54

steveysmith54 Member
    10+ Year Member

When a lot of us went into it, including the posters that you mentioned, the number of pharmacy schools in existance were about half of the amount that exist now and people were getting sign on bonuses. All major indicators of the market including BLS, pharmacy manpower project, and HRSA were projecting a MAJOR shortage. # of applications per spots were about 15-20... It was an elite profession. Times have changed.

Dalteparin, Jaycorro24 and PharmD500 like this.
  8. impatientcollegestudent

2+ Year Member

Thanks for this. This is real guys.

9. RandomDuck

I hear retail is hard to land now unless you have strict connections. Managers just don't want to go through heaps of piles of grads all applying for the same position.

10. Jhunter

Is hospital employment increasing in any way? Due to more students going for residences now? Would like to still keep this as an option for myself.

11. stoichiometrist

7+ Year Member

Increasing at a rate far slower than students are graduating from residencies, and even slower compared to the number of students graduating from pharmacy schools. Even some residency grads have to settle for retail or are forced to move to BFE to take hospital staff positions.

12. AHossain

5+ Year Member

Yea I actually searched some job openings and most of them are just there to show that they have to legally offer something, even though it's not rly open. Even then, everyone of them I see that more than a couple of hundred people have seen and applied for each position...it's ridiculous.

13. Blizzard1mage

5+ Year Member

Even with retail, you may not be able to land full-time positions unless you're willing to float across multiple stores (sometimes an hour apart).

14. BC_89

Moderator Lifetime Donor Verified Account 2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    A chuckling moment for me ... society does seem to claim this without realizing it once them loans are actually paid off

15. stoichiometrist

7+ Year Member

Bumping this thread. If retail is not your goal then you need to realize your odds before you take out $200k+ in loans to go to pharmacy school.

Dalteparin likes this.
  16. gwarm01

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I am the 1%

17. giga

Pharmacist U.S. Public Health Service 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'm not even on the chart! My job must be a unicorn job.

18. stoichiometrist

7+ Year Member

Bump. You really need to be okay with being part of the 70% if you decide to go to pharmacy school.

19. Doktor_dud3

Doktor_dud3 CPhT, Pre-Pharmacy

Pre-Pharmacy
    I feel like I enjoy retail. I wouldn't have any qualms with working retail if it came down to it. I'm going to be trying for at least a PGY1 just to keep my options open, though. I just like pharmacy, I can see where you're coming from trying to warn people of the problems with the field, though.

20. PharMatt

Pre-Pharmacy
    It’s depressing to see that pharmacists nowadays get as much respect as deli workers because they are mostly forced into retail due to the lack of jobs outside of retail as shown in the pi chart.

21. Crazy Slot

Pharmacy Student
    Can I ask where did you get this chart? What are your sources?

22. stoichiometrist

7+ Year Member

It's an approximation. 65-70% retail, 20-25% hospital staffing, 5-15% everything else.