ZOOM 2020 - A WW Game At High Speeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Night 3

200.gif

A hero took flight, prepared to save us all. As always, @ddstothecor would swoop down and carry one of his allies away from danger, that was nothing new. But tonight was special. Tonight he could peer into the soul of one among you and determine her true intentions. And he had chosen so well. He carried @JustPaws off to safety, the very one who had given him this gift of sight. And let me tell you, seeing a peregrine falcon carrying a LASIK laser was...interesting to say the least.

Once she was safe, he turned his sharp eyes on @Animal Midwife. And what he saw there was disturbing. She was sitting in a room, stethoscope around her neck, lab coat on, a defibrillator beside her. A close look at the Zoom session she had open on her laptop revealed that she was in Cardiology rounds. They had been rounding for hours. There were no appointments on the schedule. Few things could be slower than a day on cardiology with no appointments. It was then he knew. She was far too slow to belong here.

He landed to catch his breath and gather his thoughts. But he did not notice the statuesque creature hanging below the branch he was perched upon. It reached up with two deadly claws, slowly, so slowly that he did not even register the movement. In moments that stretched into minutes, the claws penetrated his throat. He bled out over an agonizing period of many silent hours. The creature watched. And smiled.

With the dawn came the clash between the remaining speed demon villagers and slow, methodical wolves. They were equal in number, and so broke off into battling pairs. One by one the villagers fell, as their speed could not match the relentless patience of the slow, slow assault of the wolves. They lay dead, never to ZOOM again.

GAME OVER. WOLVES WIN. DEAD CHAT AWAITS.

Congratulations on your clean sweep!!

3. @killerleaf - Two-Toed Sloth
11. @Barkley13 - Two-Neutrino Double-β Decay
2. @Animal Midwife - A Day On Cardiology When You Have No Appointments

Ded
4. @Coopah - Cat 5 Hurricane
6. @genny - Time When You're Having Fun
8. @SARdoghandler - Bullet Train
5. @itsrocky - Coffee
9. @allieh8607 - Cats at 3am
12. @ddstothecor - Peregrine Falcon
7. Cyndia --> @JustPaws - LASIK Excimer Laser
1. @Ms Procrastinator - Cheetah
10. @Doggo Labs - Sport Ponies

Spec
1. @BigCats
2. @WonderingStudent
3. @Lawpy
4. @Sunbodi
5. @alissa14
6. @SportPonies

Kdizzle's Beautiful Table of Contents

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Post-game commentary

Small games are hecking hard to design. And small, quiet games are even harder to play. I thought crippling the wolves in terms of abilities would be enough for the 25% in terms of numbers to be ok, but it seems it was not so. In a more active game where wolves really had to work to prove themselves on thread, it may have been different. But I am open to thoughts on the setup for sure! Here are all the roles:

Village:
Cats at 3am: It's the middle of the night, what some would consider the witching hour, but for you it is the zooming hour. Whether the pinpricks of light you see flashing around you are real or just the creation of crossed wires in your tiny predator brain, you chase them, zipping back and forth, claws digging into the carpet. Any humans who happen to cross your unpredictable path will be sure to trip on your flying, fluffy form. Each night, zoom in front of another player, tripping them up and redirecting them away from their intended target. Since your attention span is rather short, you don't care enough to direct your target in any particular direction.

Sport Ponies: Built for stamina and agility, you are the elite athletes of the equine world, jumpers and eventers. Twice during the game you can run off into the night, outpacing anyone who was planning to target you.

Cheetah:
You are the fastest land mammal on the planet, known for stalking your prey quietly through the tall grasses of the savannah before putting on a burst of speed and chasing them down with ease. Here we focus not on your speed, but on your stealth. Each night you can track another player to see who they act on.

Time When You're Having Fun:
You know what they say - time flies when you're having fun. Each night you can approach another player, offering them such a good time that the night is over before they get the chance to accomplish anything.

Peregrine Falcon:
You may be small but boy can you go fast. Each night you can swoop down and lift a player off into the distance, preventing any actions from touching them.

LASIK Excimer Laser
: Sharks with freakin' laser beams attached to their heads?? Naw, this is the real stuff! The iFS excimer laser, operating in the infrared spectrum at a wavelength of 1,053 nanometers and a frequency of 150,000 kHz per cycle, allows the creation of a corneal flap in as little as 12 seconds, and treatment ablation of corneal tissue in as little as 8 seconds. Courtesy of Dr. Cubs, you may grant 20/15 vision to a player each even night, allowing them to seer another player.

1599156745050.png

Cat 5 Hurricane: Only a few hurricanes have made landfall in the US at Cat 5 - an unnamed storm in 1935, Camille in 1969, Andrew in 1992, and Michael in 2018. Category 5 is a big deal. With wind speeds of 158 mph or higher, you're sure to cause some damage. Each night you can choose a player to target, and their night result delivery will be caught up in the wind. Who knows where those results will end up?

Bullet Train: You speed along the high-speed railway tracks in Japan, maxing out at about 180mph, and making for very efficient commutes for your passengers! Your colloquial name came from the idea that you travel as fast as a bullet, but we think you're even faster than that. Therefore you are bulletproof, immune to all manner of death besides yeeting.

Coffee: Ah the lovely aroma of a good cup of coffee in the morning. You may not go anywhere fast yourself, but every day you provide people with the energy they need to be productive members of society. Each night, give a cuppa joe to a fellow player and they'll go SKELETON MODE and maybe do something super sweet with that caffeine kick.

Wolves:

Two-toed Sloth
: Slow. So Slow. You basically hang from your tree branch observing the world and doing not much else. Each night you can watch a player to see who acts on them. This requires all your concentration, so you will not be able to kill on the same night. If you do choose to kill instead however, your surprisingly sharp claws will make it a quick and easy task.

A Day On Cardiology When You Have No Appointments: Imagine how slowly the time would pass if you had to sit at school, doing absolutely nothing, all day long. No patients to see, no discharges to write, the best you could do is study but of course that puts you to sleep. If you get bored enough, you can decide to carry out the factional kill, but you're on the cardiology service so you won't be able to resist using your shock paddles to bring them back to life...for a short time at least.

Two-Neutrino Double-β Decay
: You are a rare radioactive process in which two neutrons in a nucleus are converted to protons, and two electrons and two electron antineutrinos are emitted. This involves the longest lifetime of any type of radioactive decay. What does this mean for you? Well, you can start the process of death in another player by doing the factional kill, but it will take them 3 days to die.

PM mechanics: Person above and person below on roster. Every night, 3 players will randomly zoom around the roster, PMs must then be adjusted.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to thank everyone. This game was pretty cool, and I learned a lot. This is my first time wolfing, and I am happy to be AM's Wolfatree.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Man I wish I hadn't been stupid busy on the first couple of days. My role was so cool and could have been so helpful to village but I wasn't around enough to do justice to it by staying alive :(

Reactions: 1 users
Man I wish I hadn't been stupid busy on the first couple of days. My role was so cool and could have been so helpful to village but I wasn't around enough to do justice to it by staying alive :(
I had/ have this cold that's playing yoyo with my body

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Ha! Was I the only one to vote for AM the entire game? Did anyone else even vote a wolf?
I think there was a vote for barks in the d1 tally too but otherwise the votes for wolves in the final tallies were....scarce

I think there was a vote for barks in the d1 tally too but otherwise the votes for wolves in the final tallies were....scarce
That was killer just before Paws subbed in! Barks got like insanely deep in the village core with no votes or being lower than neutral on any villager's lists/reads.

It would not be a game if I did not show up on a tally at least once.... :rofl: but it is usually a lot more times. This was a different experience this time!