2011-2012 University of Central Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please provide a short essay to help us understand who you are. We are interested in your thoughts on what you can contribute to your UCF COM class, the medical profession in general, as well as descriptions of significant events or circumstances that you feel have shaped your character. You are encouraged to also include information about your family, personal interests, hobbies, travels, and specific goals you may have achieved. NOTE: This essay should be different than your AMCAS Personal Statement

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First to post, first to get accepted right? hmmm I may be wrong but its nice to think so...

First to post, first to get accepted right? hmmm I may be wrong but its nice to think so...

Dibs on 2nd.

When I'm on the flight home from school I always look forward to seeing this place from my window :).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be applying here too! Not crazy about the research/thesis though!

Isnt really tuff research. The project is based on your own health-related interests, doesnt have to be heavy duty bench research at all. It's a chance for you to do something in med school (on med school time) that you want to do rather than be forced to do four years of med school only, forsaking your own interests. This "research" can be used for you to further your own interests, not many med programs allow for that.

A rep from UCF really drove home that the medical school is big on letting its students pursue their own interests, and not trying to shove them in particular directions or towards certain specialties. She definitely helped make UCF one of my in-state choices.

I was told by a faculty member at another Florida school to apply to CFU. I'm from Michigan--thoughts anyone? Would it be worth my time as an OOS applicant?

Secondaries should be out on Wednesday.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I was told by a faculty member at another Florida school to apply to CFU. I'm from Michigan--thoughts anyone? Would it be worth my time as an OOS applicant?

They seem to be relatively OOS friendly since it is a new-ish school. Whether or not this will diminish over time I do not know (REL...help!). I can tell you Orlando is a great city (I grew up 2 miles from UCF's main campus), and that the facilities for the med school are fantastic. You might be a bit surprised by how hot it is here though...97 and humid today. If you think you are a good fit and would be happy there then go ahead and apply :).

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

They seem to be relatively OOS friendly since it is a new-ish school. Whether or not this will diminish over time I do not know (REL...help!). I can tell you Orlando is a great city (I grew up 2 miles from UCF's main campus), and that the facilities for the med school are fantastic. You might be a bit surprised by how hot it is here though...97 and humid today. If you think you are a good fit and would be happy there then go ahead and apply :).

Haha I live in Michigan--I'm a weather CHAMPION. Yeah, I've been to Orlando several times (disney as a child, and then disney again as a competitive performer) and it was awesome!

What is the "fit" of this school? I have an affinity for primary care and I want to serve underserved peoples. I'm particularly interested in schools that have a cooperative instead of a competitive atmosphere

Haha I live in Michigan--I'm a weather CHAMPION. Yeah, I've been to Orlando several times (disney as a child, and then disney again as a competitive performer) and it was awesome!

What is the "fit" of this school? I have an affinity for primary care and I want to serve underserved peoples. I'm particularly interested in schools that have a cooperative instead of a competitive atmosphere

Visit www.med.ucf.edu/admissions and select enrolled classes to see the profiles of the first two classes. The med city is raising up all around us with hospitals, research, housing, retail, and everthing needed to make this a "go to" place for health care in the near future. We will admit up to 25% of each class from non-Florida residents because that type of diversity helps to enrich the total class in all ways, so up to 25 of our 100 member class that enters in August 2012 could be non-Florida. Our students have created neary 20 interest groups, one of the most popular is the rural health interest groups -- they have been doing great things in our short two-year history. We want to see applicants that convince us that they are not an academic liability, then we look strongly at the motivations for medicine and humanity etc. in an attempt to evaluate those that are in "it" for others --- those who give to others and come from diverse background make a classroom a place of collaboration among peers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to admit, I groaned when I saw the essay prompt. But, after writing it, I'm actually surprised I had so much more to add.

Secondaries should be out on Wednesday.
Do you send secondaries without an MCAT score? (I indicated in AMCAS primary that I'll take it in August-6, though.)

Hi everyone!! Did the secondary go out Wednesday? And if they did, if I did not receive an email will it come at a later date?

Thanks so much!

Hi everyone!! Did the secondary go out Wednesday? And if they did, if I did not receive an email will it come at a later date?

Thanks so much!

I got it yesterday. It comes as an email.

Would someone that recieved the secondary, please post it so that I can start working on it? Thanks!

Just received secondary. Do all applicants receive a secondary?

Do you send secondaries without an MCAT score? (I indicated in AMCAS primary that I'll take it in August-6, though.)

First batch went to those who definitely met all minimums, we're working through the rest who have met GPA and have MCAT scheduled and should have something out to most by early next week.

Again, someone please please post the secondary :) Thanks!

Again, someone please please post the secondary :) Thanks!
It's kinda hard to post because it will differ depending on your answers to yes/no questions.
Here's the essay prompt (all applicants do this one) :

Instructions:
  • You are encouraged to prepare this essay in WORD or a similar program and apply your final version via the copy and paste option.
  • This essay should be NO MORE THAN two pages, single spaced, with one inch margins.
  • Descriptions should be entered using a 10 to 12 point Times New Roman or similarly easy-to-read font.
  • At any time after you have started to complete the Supplemental Application Form, you may view a print preview of your application by selecting "Preview & Submit" from the left navigation menu and then selecting "Preview" at the bottom of the page.

18. Please provide a short essay to help us understand who you are. We are interested in your thoughts on what you can contribute to your UCF COM class, the medical profession in general, as well as descriptions of significant events or circumstances that you feel have shaped your character. You are encouraged to also include information about your family, personal interests, hobbies, travels, and specific goals you may have achieved. NOTE: This essay should be different than your AMCAS Personal Statement.

Submitted! Worked all day on the essay. Yay, first choice IS :). :xf::xf::xf:

Warning: Orlando might be attractive at first because of Disney, but it gets old really fast. Make sure you like the city for other reasons too...

Warning: Orlando might be attractive at first because of Disney, but it gets old really fast. Make sure you like the city for other reasons too...

Yea, Disney definitely gets old. IOA on the other hand does not ;). There are plenty of good things in Orlando aside from theme parks.

REL, can you tell us when the first interview invites will be out? :)

working on the essay, waiting for my mcat scores which should be in on tuesday

Yea, Disney definitely gets old. IOA on the other hand does not ;). There are plenty of good things in Orlando aside from theme parks.

REL, can you tell us when the first interview invites will be out? :)

I anticipate that interview invites will begin the second week of August for our first regular interview date of September 9.

yea same here...im waiting for scores before i submit the secondary

So did they send you a secondary already before having your scores in? I am just wondering because I have not validated my AMCAS yet and don't have MCAT scores either.

So did they send you a secondary already before having your scores in? I am just wondering because I have not validated my AMCAS yet and don't have MCAT scores either.

yes, thats what happened but my amcas was verified.

I don't even know where to begin with this essay... One of the more opened ended ones I've gotten yet. :oops:

How much does the secondary app cost? I'm trying to get an idea of what my financial situation is. :rolleyes:

I looveee this school, the curriculum seems to match my preferences really well. I'm out of state (in the Northeast!) though... what is the minimum MCAT? Judging by the class data it seems like a 27?

Complete e-mail today! Looking for some IS love!

Did some more research about the program, and I really love this school.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.