2009-2010 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's free.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there parking available on NYMC's campus for students? Is there a monthly fee for this?? If so, estimates of what that fee is??
Thanks! :)

Free, both on campus and off campus. This is practically the only place in NY where you never have to worry about parking.

what are the convenient banks for students living on campus? how far are ATMs?

Members don't see this ad :)
also, does anyone know when we get student ID's / logins?

thanks!

what are the convenient banks for students living on campus? how far are ATMs?

Bank of America has an ATM right in the main lobby of the BSB. However, you'll have to go to Tarrytown for an actual bank location. That will take you about 10 minutes because of traffic.

Chase Bank is right around the corner in Elmsford (still have to drive there because there's no sidewalk), but to access an ATM you'd have to walk to the hospital.

That being said, the banks will be on campus during orientation week offering SWEET DEALS to sign up with them. Hold off if you can. I missed out on a free money because I opened my account ahead of time. The same goes for fitness places and discount warehouses like Sam's Club. The school has contracts.

Also, books, furniture, microscopes, and A/C's will be sold much cheaper by the elder students once you get here.

So the orientation seems to be a week long. What exactly do they do during that time? Is it mandatory to attend (in case one is on vacation since this is early august afterall...)

I am considering renting an apt in yonkers as the rent is much cheaper and I found a decent neighborhood. According to google maps, I'm looking at a 25 min drive. Not being from the area, I wanted to get some input (especially from you current students) as to how much harder you think that drive will make my life. Also, how bad do the roads get in the winter, especially major interstates? Does NYMC close for snow days? Thanks in advance for any info you can offer!

I am considering renting an apt in yonkers as the rent is much cheaper and I found a decent neighborhood. According to google maps, I'm looking at a 25 min drive. Not being from the area, I wanted to get some input (especially from you current students) as to how much harder you think that drive will make my life. Also, how bad do the roads get in the winter, especially major interstates? Does NYMC close for snow days? Thanks in advance for any info you can offer!

It's a pain, but then again I know students who commute all the way from NYC every day. If you're going NORTH in the morning and SOUTH in evening then you won't get stuck in NYC traffic.

The main roads and parkways are well regulated during the winter because as you can imagine they are highly trafficked. That includes RT-119 (Tarrytown/White Plains Rd), Central Ave, and parkways/highways like the Sprain Brook, Saw Mill, and I-287. If you have good access to them then you should be fine.

There aren't that many bad snowfalls and the college DOES close for snowdays. Know the hotline number and you'll never drive through a snowstorm to school.

What Yonkers neighborhood? I was wondering that too, and I don't mind the commute.

What Yonkers neighborhood? I was wondering that too, and I don't mind the commute.

Hopefully I will end up about 2 blocks from the Yonkers train station at Hudson St and Buena Vista Ave. A friend from undergrad and I found an older building hiding amid all the renovated luxury waterfront properties. It's not an amazing place, but you can't beat the price. If you end up anywhere near there and are interested in car pooling, let me know! =)

I live on the Yonkers Waterfront and can vouch the commute isn't too bad (door to door 30min). The Sprain and the Saw Mill (with a drive thru Starbucks on the way)are both close. My only complaint with the immediate area is that there is not too much within walking distance. There's a grocery store, but I drive to one's further away, because it seems a little dirty. There's one corner mart, a few pizza places, and several very nice but PRICEY restaurants. There's no real coffee shop or nice little diner. I just don't like putting around in my car on the weekends. However, in Yonkers there a ton of great Irish pubs, malls & shopping, you just have to drive.

Have you guys gotten Step 2 papers yet back about financial aid? I sent step 1 stuff in early April and confirmed they had everything but I still haven't gotten anything back yet and school starts in 8 weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,
I'm going to be a part of NYMC's Class of 2014 and I'm super excited!! If any of the current students could answer some ?s for me about the upcoming year, I'd really appreciate it :) I figured I'd post it on here because I'm sure I'm not the only one with some of these questions:
1. How is the environment at NYMC? Are the students for the most part pretty friendly and willing to help each other out?
2. Are the professors generally willing to help students? Are there review sessions before exams, or some sort of office hours for students to go to if they are struggling?
3. Is there anything that you wish you knew for medical school ahead of time? Books to bring, study tips, general things about the area around NYMC, etc?
I really appreciate all of the information that the current students have posted so far!! Thank you for posting on here and answering all of our questions :)

random question about housing....for the 4 bedroom furnished...do they have carpet? in both the common area and the bedrooms?

also - what/if any appliances come with the kitchen? is there a dishwasher? built in microwave, or should we bring that separately after talking with whoever we're going to be living with?

random question about housing....for the 4 bedroom furnished...do they have carpet? in both the common area and the bedrooms?

also - what/if any appliances come with the kitchen? is there a dishwasher? built in microwave, or should we bring that separately after talking with whoever we're going to be living with?

The furnished apartments have carpet everywhere except the bathroom and kitchen. The kitchen has a built in microwave, but no dishwasher unfortunately.

Where is this massive waitlist movement I've heard so much about? Ive been following this thread pretty closely and I have only seen a couple people post that they were accepted off of the waitlist. Do you think they over-accepted this year or that they just haven't started pulling from it yet?

Where is this massive waitlist movement I've heard so much about? Ive been following this thread pretty closely and I have only seen a couple people post that they were accepted off of the waitlist. Do you think they over-accepted this year or that they just haven't started pulling from it yet?

Simply may not be people on SDN.

Is there a certain date that we have to send in our transcripts by?

Is there a certain date that we have to send in our transcripts by?

I was wondering the same thing. I pulled out a copy of the "Conditions for Acceptance" form that they asked us to sign and return. It says,

"Before you matriculate we must receive an official transcript from every institution you have attended and, if applicable, showing all degrees awarded. This would include transcripts from any post-baccalaureate or graduate coursework. You may arrange for these to be forwarded to the Office of Admissions any time before you matriculate."

It doesn't seem like there is a hard deadline (before orientation?). I'm going to try sending mine in before the end of the month.

Thanks Stan. Was there anything else besides the housing forms and health records that they wanted us to send in? I forgot to make a copy of the acceptance form :smack:

Thanks Stan. Was there anything else besides the housing forms and health records that they wanted us to send in? I forgot to make a copy of the acceptance form :smack:

At this point, I think those two forms and official transcripts are what need to be sent in. We should also be receiving a registration packet and our first tuition bill including student health insurance information by mid-June.

Have you received anything about Step 2 of financial aid?

Sorry if this has been asked before but does NYMC have an online class schedule for first year like the day to day schedule? ie. class times, lab times etc.

I withdrew from the last wait list I was on yesterday, so I'll definitely be coming to NYMC in the fall. Feels good to finally know exactly where I'll be in August.

Any other commuting students here? I live on the other side of the tappan zee about 20 minutes from NYMC (if there's no traffic.)

At this point, I think those two forms and official transcripts are what need to be sent in. We should also be receiving a registration packet and our first tuition bill including student health insurance information by mid-June.

I was in the bursars office today and they said they are sending out step 2 by next week :)

I received the packet for the fall semester bill and health/dental insurance from the Bursar's office yesterday but nothing about Step 2 yet.

Have you guys received the Health Services History, physical form, consent and immunization record forms?

I haven't gotten them and it's mentioned in passing in their latest email that we should have received them by now.

I received the packet for the fall semester bill and health/dental insurance from the Bursar's office yesterday but nothing about Step 2 yet.

I got it too. There is a line for financial aid in this bill, and it sais financial aid 0 (this is scary, I really hope it will change after step 2).

I received the email about my financial aid award/Step 2 yesterday. Just trying to figure out how much debt I want to put myself in for year 1 :)

I received the email about my financial aid award/Step 2 yesterday. Just trying to figure out how much debt I want to put myself in for year 1 :)

When did you fill out step1? Did you get all the loans that you asked for?

When did you fill out step1? Did you get all the loans that you asked for?

I filled out Step 1 and mailed everything in very early April. I did get all the loans I asked for, but since I am living at home with my parents I'm trying to figure out how much money to take for living expenses (certainly not anywhere the full $20k that's offered).

I filled out Step 1 and mailed everything in very early April. I did get all the loans I asked for, but since I am living at home with my parents I'm trying to figure out how much money to take for living expenses (certainly not anywhere the full $20k that's offered).

Thanks! I filled out everything in May, so probably they go in order. Hope I'll get all the loans :xf:

Questions about printing...
Is it free? If so, is only black/white printing free, or color too? Where are the printers located? Are there scanners/copy machines? How much do they cost to use?

(Trying to decide whether or not it would be wise to bring my printer or not)

Questions about parking...
How far is parking from the on-campus housing? Is it easy/difficult to find a parking spot?

Questions about housing...
-Do the individual bedrooms have a cable thing to hook up a TV - or is that only in the common area?
-Are the fridges spacious? (I have a mini-fridge and am debating whether or not to bring it)
-What about a bookcase? I have a small one (about 3.5-4 ft high)...is it worth it to bring it, or does the furniture that is provided (furnished housing) have a suitable book-case thing attached above the desk?

Random questions...
-Does NYMC require 3rd yr students to have certain phones like a Blackberry?
-What are some things I should look into buying that I probably haven't thought of that I would need for medschool that I didn't need for college (ex: microscope?)

(I'm going to be traveling out of the country in a couple weeks and won't be back till a couple days before move-in...so I'm trying to get everything together now)

Thanks!!

Hey All,

I am an incoming first-year currently looking for a roomate/dormate for NYMC. Specifically looking for someone that keeps kosher. Not really sure how to get in touch with other incoming first-years/second-years, so I decided to post here.

Thanks,
Hal

Questions about printing...
Is it free? If so, is only black/white printing free, or color too? Where are the printers located? Are there scanners/copy machines? How much do they cost to use?

(Trying to decide whether or not it would be wise to bring my printer or not)

There are printers in the MEC and School of Health Sciences and Practice (SHSP) building. SHSP and the library have scanners, library has copy machines. The SHSP is where you will find the large computer lab, although the library has some smaller ones. Printing is currently free but there has been talk for some time of instituting a quota, after which you would pay some money. I would bring the printer if anything just for the convenience. You don't want to trek over to the MEC just to print one page!

Questions about parking...
How far is parking from the on-campus housing? Is it easy/difficult to find a parking spot?

It's right there. Tons of spots.

Questions about housing...
-Do the individual bedrooms have a cable thing to hook up a TV - or is that only in the common area?
-Are the fridges spacious? (I have a mini-fridge and am debating whether or not to bring it)
-What about a bookcase? I have a small one (about 3.5-4 ft high)...is it worth it to bring it, or does the furniture that is provided (furnished housing) have a suitable book-case thing attached above the desk?

-The furnished apartment I was in had cable in the bedrooms and the common area.
-It's a regular sized fridge for as many as 4 people. How big is your personal food bubble?
-A small shelf attached to your desk.

Random questions...
-Does NYMC require 3rd yr students to have certain phones like a Blackberry?
-What are some things I should look into buying that I probably haven't thought of that I would need for medschool that I didn't need for college (ex: microscope?)
-Not that I know of.
-Whatever it is, older students will be selling it for cheap - especially microscopes. Just check your NYMC email.

just wanted some clarification...if i sent in a complete undergrad transcript when i applied do i need to send in another copy of the same transcript before i matriculate?

just wanted some clarification...if i sent in a complete undergrad transcript when i applied do i need to send in another copy of the same transcript before i matriculate?

I believe so. I resent all of mine. Might want to call and double check though

When do we get access to NYMC email? Orientation?

That's a great question - I really don't remember! I do recall getting it a little bit before orientation because I had already arranged to buy a microscope from a student by the time I arrived.

Info for prospective MD/MPH students:

Mail-In Registration Deadline ( continuing and newly accepted students)
Received no later than Friday, August 6, 2010

On-Site Registration at Valhalla:
Monday, August 9 9am - 6pm
Tuesday, August 10 9am - 6pm
Wednesday, August 11 9am - 3:30pm
Thursday, August 12 9am - 3:30pm
Friday, August 13 9am - 3:30pm

Classes begin:
Monday, September 13 (late registration fee for continuing students $125)

http://www.nymc.edu/Academics/Schoo...onAndAcademicRegulations/CourseOfferings.html

Question!!
Does NYMC require a CBC??? I got an email from Certiphi after my SUNY Buff acceptance, but I immediately turned down UB's offer...like 3-4 weeks ago...and I'm still getting emails reminding me to do the background check.

I went on the AAMC website and NYMC is listed as a participating school for 2011...but I never got this kind of email when I was originally accepted to NYMC back in December.... http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/background.htm

help?

Status
Not open for further replies.