2009-2010 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone please help me figure out their financial aid setup? Their offices are closed and I'm not going to be around for the next week.

The NYMC FinAid application's first page asks for an MPN. We have to sign an MPN before they show us the award letter?? Can someone please guide me on this

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone please help me figure out their financial aid setup? Their offices are closed and I'm not going to be around for the next week.

The NYMC FinAid application's first page asks for an MPN. We have to sign an MPN before they show us the award letter?? Can someone please guide me on this

Yes.

I'm guessing they want to get the MPN first to make sure that once you've accepted the award, they don't need to chase down paperwork late in the game. Once you finish "step 1" of the process, you'll be told you'll get an email in a few weeks about "step 2", which will give you your award amount, and then you can choose how much of the award you want (you can take less, the exact amount, or request more).

Yes.

I'm guessing they want to get the MPN first to make sure that once you've accepted the award, they don't need to chase down paperwork late in the game. Once you finish "step 1" of the process, you'll be told you'll get an email in a few weeks about "step 2", which will give you your award amount, and then you can choose how much of the award you want (you can take less, the exact amount, or request more).

What is the process for requesting more?

Members don't see this ad :)
can anyone name some of the textbooks we'll need for first year?

How long did you guys wait for your acceptance letter to come in the mail? I accepted by email, but is there an official form you have to sign and return to them? I don't want to miss a deadline if there is one.

How long did you guys wait for your acceptance letter to come in the mail? I accepted by email, but is there an official form you have to sign and return to them? I don't want to miss a deadline if there is one.

Yeah there is an official form. Did you respond to the acceptance email?

I got my form in the mail a couple of days after the email acceptance. But I live about 30 minutes from NY Med, so they probably mailed it out a day or two after I got the acceptance email.

anybody know if there was any movement on the waiting list?

I just withdrew my acceptance. I wish everyone who's waiting the best of luck!

Does anyone know how the school feels about taking a summer class to graduate?

I have been accepted for medical school this fall. However, I still have to take one

summer class to graduate. I will still be able to make the first day of orientation.

I know I should direct such an important question to NYMC. However, just curious

if anyone has any experience with taking a summer class in the summer before

matriculation to NYMC. any input is greatly appreciated

Does anyone know how the school feels about taking a summer class to graduate?

I have been accepted for medical school this fall. However, I still have to take one

summer class to graduate. I will still be able to make the first day of orientation.

I know I should direct such an important question to NYMC. However, just curious

if anyone has any experience with taking a summer class in the summer before

matriculation to NYMC. any input is greatly appreciated

I did - no problems. You'll need to send a final transcript soon after matriculating.

so I need to get a new laptop....Mac or PC?

What do most students have at NYMC?? Is a Mac compatible w/ whatever I would need it for medschool-wise?

Members don't see this ad :)
so I need to get a new laptop....Mac or PC?

What do most students have at NYMC?? Is a Mac compatible w/ whatever I would need it for medschool-wise?

Mac or PC doesn't matter at all. A large percentage have Macs because like all higher education students - we're snobs.

Mac or PC doesn't matter at all. A large percentage have Macs because like all higher education students - we're snobs.

EDIT: On second thought, I'm not even going to risk starting that.

Last edited:
hi guys when does the touro merger happen? Does it mean that touro students will join with NYMC , also getting an MD degree? Or just that the same owners will now have control over nymc?

hi guys when does the touro merger happen? Does it mean that touro students will join with NYMC , also getting an MD degree? Or just that the same owners will now have control over nymc?

1. It is not a merger. The sponsor of the school will change from the Catholic Church to Touro. For most students the only thing that will happen is holidays will change.

2. Touro is a large university that owns many graduate schools. You might as well ask if their law students will be granted an MD after the "merger". No Touro osteopathic medical students will be getting an MD.

3. As far as I know, NYMC and Touro osteopathic school students will not be attending classes together. It's certainly possible they might want to consolidate costs, but I find it somewhat unlikely. It would be highly inconvenient for Touro students to commute all the way up to Valhalla to attend classes.

nevermind....withdrew my acceptance good luck to those who are waiting :)

Last edited:
since there is no allo thread...anyone going to nymc next year and wanna live off campus? I am looking for a roomate! I wanna try to get everything figured out as my lease is up on my apt june 30th :(

I'm planning to live off campus, but I'm not sure where yet...

Finishing up a master's program, just a thesis, hope to finish up in time for orientation.

Last edited:
I am currently in a masters program. I have finished all the coursework and was wondering if I need to finish the thesis, the masters, in order to keep my spot at nymc. Any information from someone with previous experience in going from a previous grad school to nymc would be greatly appreciated.

The understanding is that before matriculating you will have completed all the requirements for graduation of your program (you don't necessarily need to have graduated yet, so a September or December graduation is okay).

I know at least one person that matriculated before graduating from their masters, but they made an agreement with the medical school to finish the masters during their medical education. However, in this case the medical school and the graduate school were the same and it's less likely to work in other situations.

I would contact NYMC and speak to someone who knows the policy and can make a deal or exception for you. You may be able to get them to defer your enrollment to next year or you may be able to finish it next summer. I don't see a scenario where you don't finish your masters though.

Any current NYMC students on here? I had a few questions:

1) Does NYMC stream all of their lectures??
2) What is considered passing?
3) Do professors give out lecture notes at the start of each class or the start of each block?
4) What's one thing you really like and one thing you really dislike about NYMC??

Anything else about NYMC that you think is helpful/that I should know...

(I've been accepted to another school and am trying to make my decision by the end of this week! So any info would be greatly appreciated!)

Any current NYMC students on here? I had a few questions:

3) Do professors give out lecture notes at the start of each class or the start of each block?
4) What's one thing you really like and one thing you really dislike about NYMC??

Anything else about NYMC that you think is helpful/that I should know...

(I've been accepted to another school and am trying to make my decision by the end of this week! So any info would be greatly appreciated!)

Each block, you basically rotate through 2 departments and they make their own rules. However, in general:

All lectures are transcribed, all lecture slides are posted online. NYMC has the capability to record audio/visual for every lecture (to download after the fact). However, some departments won't allow it, some individual professors won't allow it, and for some departments it's contingent on class attendance. That being said, you don't have to attend lecture because it's all transcribed.

70%

It's all downloadable online. Some departments will give you a huge packet of notes at the beginning of the block. Some won't.

Like: the community

Dislike: the exams

Each block, you basically rotate through 2 departments and they make their own rules. However, in general:

All lectures are transcribed, all lecture slides are posted online. NYMC has the capability to record audio/visual for every lecture (to download after the fact). However, some departments won't allow it, some individual professors won't allow it, and for some departments it's contingent on class attendance. That being said, you don't have to attend lecture because it's all transcribed.

70%

It's all downloadable online. Some departments will give you a huge packet of notes at the beginning of the block. Some won't.

:thumbup:

oh yeah - another question:

do you guys get time off before exams? like a reading period of a day or 2 before your finals? how do mini-boards fit in...are they the finals, or are they an exam in addition to your finals? does your performance on the mini-boards play a factor in how you are graded for the course (high pass/pass/fail)??

oh yeah - another question:

do you guys get time off before exams? like a reading period of a day or 2 before your finals? how do mini-boards fit in...are they the finals, or are they an exam in addition to your finals? does your performance on the mini-boards play a factor in how you are graded for the course (high pass/pass/fail)??

For the first two blocks there is usually a week of review/limited lectures/case conferences during the wk before a test. Mini-boards fit in as a normal final would and they usually count either the same or slightly less than the tests throughout the block, and by this token they have the same influence on your grade as a normal test would

Hi everyone. Can anybody offer me some advice? I need to decide quickly between NYMC and GWU. Both great schools, but I'm having a hard time with the decision. NYMC also offered me a scholarship which makes the decision trickier. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Thank you.

Hi everyone. Can anybody offer me some advice? I need to decide quickly between NYMC and GWU. Both great schools, but I'm having a hard time with the decision. NYMC also offered me a scholarship which makes the decision trickier. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Thank you.

GWU, better location and better clinical experience. DC is great for research.

GW!!!! =D

their track programs seem soo cool! also, awesome location - especially now when healthcare is really reforming!!

(gw was my top top top choice - but unfortunately i never got to interview there despite being strung along for 10ish months)

CONGRATS - i am truly jealous! lol

Questions for current students:

Do you have any info on the waitlist besides the fact that it's unranked? Do they review applicants on a particular day, or with special regard to a particular aspect of the application? Are they receptive to a particular type of update or additional materials? How long is the waitlist? What fraction of it do they usually accept? What's Dean Juster's favorite type of flower? Do they have any favorite songs I could include on a mix tape to send them? Or should I hold a boom box over my head?

I interviewed at both. Go with your gut, you can't go wrong. Rare situation that NYMC is the cheaper school. GW is urban, NYMC has more geographical diversity. NYMC is in a transition period, GW recently got off probation.

Rather than blurting out a subjective judgement, I would consider which school is geographically preferable and most conducive to your lifestyle.

Last edited:
GW!!!! =D

their track programs seem soo cool! also, awesome location - especially now when healthcare is really reforming!!

(gw was my top top top choice - but unfortunately i never got to interview there despite being strung along for 10ish months)

CONGRATS - i am truly jealous! lol

Of course GW is a wonderful school, but if you never interviewed there then what basis to you have to emphatically advise someone to choose it?
I don't mean to tear you down but this hollow advice on SDN really bugs me.

EDIT: please do not read this as being nasty - it is not meant to be. I can tell your excitement about GW.

Last edited:
i think you misunderstood - while i did not interview there i have visited that medical school on more than 1 occasion. furthermore, not only did i research but have talked to current students about the track programs - which i think is unique (and was a draw for me). also i think going to medical school in DC when healthcare is reforming (if you are into that kind of stuff - like healthcare policy) would be really interesting.

just because it was my top choice doesn't mean it is everyone's top choice. i do not think the advice i gave was very hollow considering i didn't just write "go to GW because it was my top choice" but rather i touched on the track programs/location as well. GW is unique because of its location and location is something everyone should consider if they have the option to.

regardless - if I was that person's shoes, I would choose GW, but that is ME/my tastes, and what works for one person may not work for another...and I think anyone who posts these kinds of questions (which school should i go to?), including myself, needs to take every response they get with a grain of salt and ultimately go with their instincts...not others.

Cool - point taken. You should mention where your advice comes from, because otherwise your post came across as someone who may have only looked it up online. You didn't describe much about where your views came from, just that you didn't interview. Know what I mean? I apologize.

lol don't apologize - i should have been more clear in my earlier post. i was just excited someone got into GW! haha

(ps-thanks for ur advice/help on the other thread)

Looks like I'll be wearing flip flops to class all year. I got off another waitlist right after having my physical for NYMC... I hope one of you gets off the waitlist!

Anyone else on here possibly looking to live off campus?

Questions for current students:

Do you have any info on the waitlist besides the fact that it's unranked? Do they review applicants on a particular day, or with special regard to a particular aspect of the application? Are they receptive to a particular type of update or additional materials? How long is the waitlist? What fraction of it do they usually accept? What's Dean Juster's favorite type of flower? Do they have any favorite songs I could include on a mix tape to send them? Or should I hold a boom box over my head?

I would recommend a mixtape of MJ's greatest hits. This is solely based on the fact u that have him on your avatar.

Can you please clarify what you don't like about the exams? I heard they are given every month or so?

70%

Can you please clarify what you don't like about the exams? I heard they are given every month or so?

Oh the exams are fine, and the frequency is fine once you finish the first block.

They just always seem to get in the way.

Hi guys,

I was looking through the clinical rotation sites, but it seems that most of them are located much further north of NYC than I thought. The sites actually seem very spread out. Where do most 3rd and 4th years live considering the very long distances between the many different sites? Do 3rd and 4th years work at each of the sites at least once, or are assigned to only a few based on a lottery -- if lottery is the case, what is the likelihood of working in a rural area vs urban NYC?

Thanks

Hi guys,

I was looking through the clinical rotation sites, but it seems that most of them are located much further north of NYC than I thought. The sites actually seem very spread out. Where do most 3rd and 4th years live considering the very long distances between the many different sites? Do 3rd and 4th years work at each of the sites at least once, or are assigned to only a few based on a lottery -- if lottery is the case, what is the likelihood of working in a rural area vs urban NYC?

Thanks

Those are the affiliated organizations, but that doesn't really portray where you'll be on rotations.

Generally, half the class will move to NYC and do their rotations down there (mostly Metropolitan Hospital but also Montefiore North and RUMC). The other half will do most rotations at Westchester Medical Center. There are also rotations in Connecticut, which I believe provide housing. Actually, I believe all of the further-out places have housing. The city/non-city split has been preserved even after St. Vincent's shut down.

It's sort of a lottery, sort of isn't, because you are allowed to trade rotations. If you don't want to go somewhere - trade it away. Someone else will have a reason to want to go there. It's a flexible process and, in the end, people generally get what they want.

EDIT: As for the really rural areas, you're probably talking about family med.

Those are the affiliated organizations, but that doesn't really portray where you'll be on rotations.

Generally, half the class will move to NYC and do their rotations down there (mostly Metropolitan Hospital but also Montefiore North and RUMC). The other half will do most rotations at Westchester Medical Center. There are also rotations in Connecticut, which I believe provide housing. Actually, I believe all of the further-out places have housing. The city/non-city split has been preserved even after St. Vincent's shut down.

It's sort of a lottery, sort of isn't, because you are allowed to trade rotations. If you don't want to go somewhere - trade it away. Someone else will have a reason to want to go there. It's a flexible process and, in the end, people generally get what they want.

EDIT: As for the really rural areas, you're probably talking about family med.

Thanks for the insight. Do you know if students are allowed to choose to do some rotations at hospitals other than the list of affiliated hospitals? For instance, LIJ or NY Presbyterian for instance? These are just examples - im wondering if this is routinely done, or if it is not common practice.

Thanks for the insight. Do you know if students are allowed to choose to do some rotations at hospitals other than the list of affiliated hospitals? For instance, LIJ or NY Presbyterian for instance? These are just examples - im wondering if this is routinely done, or if it is not common practice.

Electives/4th year rotations, absolutely. Happens all the time.

Man, where is this gigantic flood of waitlist movement I've been told to expect? sad face.

Man, where is this gigantic flood of waitlist movement I've been told to expect? sad face.

I just got in off of the wait list today. I'm probably not going to accept, but I'm not sure yet. They didn't give me a time line or anything.

Just withdrew my acceptance! Good luck, guys...hope the spot goes to someone here! :)

Is there parking available on NYMC's campus for students? Is there a monthly fee for this?? If so, estimates of what that fee is??
Thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.