2010-2011 University of California - Davis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I interviewed on 12/3. I have not received any word. I too was told the 5-6 week time frame. If you do a search on MDapps there is one person listed, an OOS who interviewed in mid-December and was accepted early/mid-January. So apparently some applicants have been notified of acceptance.

Good luck to all, we're getting down to the wire here, it won't go on much longer.

Members don't see this ad.

Gotcha. That special day is coming up real soon. Wink, wink!

Anyway...has anyone gotten a post-interview decision recently. I interviewed in Dec and I remember Mr. Ed D. (not the horse) said we could expect an answer in like 4-5 weeks. It took the Egyptians less time to oust their president. What's the word? Thanks.

I Interviewed in early September, and at that time they told us 2 weeks :laugh:. Then, not a peep until I was accepted in late November. So, I wouldn't worry if they are later than they said.

Members don't see this ad :)
I checked my status today and I just got officially rejected from Davis. I've been complete since 9/16, IS. Good luck to all of you still waiting.

I interviewed on Feb 4. Did anyone hear when they said they'd get back to us about our decisions?

Withdrew from my interview on March 11- Hope someone gets it!

They actually called me a week ago since I was local asking if I wanted to move my interview up to a date in Feb since someone cancelled, so they seem to be pretty proactive about filling the spots.

Good luck!

Has anyone heard anything about acceptances to any of the prime programs??
THanks!

I interviewed in December as well, but have not heard anything from them yet. I called a few weeks ago to see if I could send them my grades for Fall, but they said they make their desicions w/o updates. One of the people I interviewed with heard back in early/mid January, waitlisted. So I guess if we haven't heard back yet, there is still hope :) . UC Davis is my top choice, I really hope they accept me!!! **deep breaths, deep breaths** lol

Last edited:
Does anyone know if we have to get our financial aid stuff in by the March deadline if we were placed on the waitlist?

Interviewed 12/17... 10 weeks later and still nothing for me either.

Also, in case anyone is interested, I was told the clinic visit might only be 30 minutes, but it went on until I had to catch my plane. It was very relaxed. It wasn't a tour really either. I was at the homeless one. The undergrads there were interested in showing me what they do and kept me informed about the clinics operations. The physician was super cool and informative also. The busiest people there were the med students (go figure).

1)I could have stayed until they closed (and I think I probably could have arrived when they opened), but I think I may have left around 2pm?
2)I think I'm allowed to say that the day involves the standard things you'll find at other interview days: a tour, lunch, talk(s), and the interview.
3)My only tip would be to relax. I didn't do well until I relaxed after the first couple.

It's a really great school. Congrats to everyone that makes it in. Here's hoping you do!

Members don't see this ad :)
1. What time did you get done at the clinic?
2. Could you (or anyone) give a brief run down of what the interview day looks like (obviously I know you cannot talk about the MMI)?
3. Any tips?

Thanks

1. I was there for about 1.5 hours. I got there around 9am. My tour was super short because HIPAA regulations don't allow just anyone to go where patients are at (confidentiality issues, perhaps). So I just hanged out with the med students and talked to the physicians, which was really great. They were AWESOME! BUT, if you are flying there and staying at a hotel (like I did), I don't think it's worth staying for the clinic visit. If you've volunteer at health fairs/clinics, you already have an idea of what kind of work they'd do at these clinics. That's just IMO, though! :)
2. When you get there, there'll be some snacks/juice/coffee, you'll chat with 2 persons from the admissions committee...very casual and they'll answer any questions about the MMIs. You'll then have an info session. Then you'll either go to your MMIs first or be taken on a tour and to meet the dean (he's super nice!). After that, a delicious lunch where you chat with students. Then you'll either go to your MMIs first or be taken on a tour and to meet the dean (he's super nice!)...whichever you haven't done yet. Then a wrap up session.
3. Like the other poster said, just relax, be yourself, and don't overthink. They just want to see how you handle stressful situations. Oh, and if you want to stay with a host, do it. I've done it at other schools and it's really helpful as you can ask about anything. My host at UC Davis got back to me really late so I had to stay a hotel, but the UCD students are very nice. Best wishes! :luck:

1. I was there for about 1.5 hours. I got there around 9am. My tour was super short because HIPAA regulations don't allow just anyone to go where patients are at (confidentiality issues, perhaps). So I just hanged out with the med students and talked to the physicians, which was really great. They were AWESOME! BUT, if you are flying there and staying at a hotel (like I did), I don't think it's worth staying for the clinic visit. If you've volunteer at health fairs/clinics, you already have an idea of what kind of work they'd do at these clinics. That's just IMO, though! :)
2. When you get there, there'll be some snacks/juice/coffee, you'll chat with 2 persons from the admissions committee...very casual and they'll answer any questions about the MMIs. You'll then have an info session. Then you'll either go to your MMIs first or be taken on a tour and to meet the dean (he's super nice!). After that, a delicious lunch where you chat with students. Then you'll either go to your MMIs first or be taken on a tour and to meet the dean (he's super nice!)...whichever you haven't done yet. Then a wrap up session.
3. Like the other poster said, just relax, be yourself, and don't overthink. They just want to see how you handle stressful situations. Oh, and if you want to stay with a host, do it. I've done it at other schools and it's really helpful as you can ask about anything. My host at UC Davis got back to me really late so I had to stay a hotel, but the UCD students are very nice. Best wishes! :luck:

You are awesome! Thanks. This helps a lot!

What an awesome school. Thoroughly enjoyed the school when I interviewed yesterday! Wow.

Anyone who interviewed on 2/4 hear back? Please post when you do! I'll be doing the same, of course :)

1/7/11, waiting. I'm expecting a rejection for sure. Haha.

Is Davis still offering interviews?? I recollect reading that they do not offer any after February, but I may be wrong. I know Davis has rejected many pre-interview, but I haven't been rejected (surprisingly...) and been complete since late-August. Anyone else in the same situation and feeling that an interview invitation may still come??

Anyone interviewing March 11th? Even though people keep saying that the only way to prepare is relaxing, I'm still super scared for MMI.

Btw.... I got my interview invite via phone call last Tuesday. I've been complete since October.

Dr Optimistic,

To answer questions 1-4, I rented a car through Priceline for about $30/day. More pricey than a bus ticket, but the peace of mind was worth it.

More questions for anybody who has interviewed already and anybody interviewing March 11th.

Anybody interviewing March 11th know what student-run clinics they are going to? Anybody working out a carpool? I just requested my top five as instructed and am waiting for results.
2. Best way to get from the airport to a hotel next to the medical center? 1 800 bluevan seems promising???
3. Did you bring your luggage to the student-run clinic you volunteered to see on Saturday and go to the airport from there? or did you get late checkout or something?
4. How did you get to the student run clinic from your hotel?
5. I have an extra day (pre-interview) in Sac and was wondering how best to spend it. Just wanted to check out the area in hopes of envisioning myself there one day. I will have no car and be staying next to med center.

Getting excited and nervous!

2. I used SuperShuttle - http://www.supershuttle.com/ - like 15 bucks and super easy.
3. You can leave your luggage in the hotel (in all hotel experiences I've had...) when you check out just ask the concierge if they can store it for you.
4. I walked - I know not the most traditional way but it was a nice day and some exercise!
5. Walk around the area and explore! Check out yelp for good reviews. Best way to get familiar with an area.

Good luck!

More questions for anybody who has interviewed already and anybody interviewing March 11th.

Anybody interviewing March 11th know what student-run clinics they are going to? Anybody working out a carpool? I just requested my top five as instructed and am waiting for results.
2. Best way to get from the airport to a hotel next to the medical center? 1 800 bluevan seems promising???
3. Did you bring your luggage to the student-run clinic you volunteered to see on Saturday and go to the airport from there? or did you get late checkout or something?
4. How did you get to the student run clinic from your hotel?
5. I have an extra day (pre-interview) in Sac and was wondering how best to spend it. Just wanted to check out the area in hopes of envisioning myself there one day. I will have no car and be staying next to med center.

Getting excited and nervous!

For the extra day, go to Midtown Sac or West Sac. Both are pretty nice and likely where you will be spending weekend evenings. Midtown Sac is a (not too short but still viable) walk from the Med Center.

Yes, I did apply to Prime. Were you there?!

Yes I was! I just sent you a PM but I have no idea if it went through haha, it wasn't saved. Let me know if you didn't get it and I'll re-send ;)

Super congratulations! :thumbup: Hmm...they're taking 2 months to let us know. Were you notified by email or standard mail? Interviewed 2/4...no word yet!

Thanks! I got a phone call, and right after an e-mail. I think it might have taken longer than usual for me because I applied to the PRIME Program. Hope you hear from them soon :luck:

rejected! interview 12/17. what a crapshoot.

i'm leaving, leaving, cali, cali, for NY, NY.

Oh man, this is my first time on SDN and I spent the last 2 hours reading the entire thread. (Ow, my eyes!!)

I interviewed 2/11 and was told 4 weeks turnaround. From the looks of it, I shouldn't be expecting a call or email anytime soon (soon being this week!)?:confused:

UC Davis come onnnn noooowwww!

I interviewed mid-November and haven't heard anything! Thats 4 months!

I swear they lost my application

Hmm...I say you call the admissions office and ask . A few years ago, at another school, a friend's app was "lost". Next thing you know, she's in! Imagine if she hadn't called! :luck:

They must have lost mine also. I will give it a week and perhaps make the call. Disco Dee, if you make the call, please let us know what's up.

Called admissions today and was told decisions on those of us who interviewed on 2/4 had not been made yet! So let's hang in there :) :xf:

I interviewed 1/28 and am getting anxious. I read the thread from last years applicants and found out that many didn't get acceptance notification until around early june.... the waiting continues...:(

I interviewed on 2/4, and on 3/20 (Sunday morning!) I received an email that I had been placed on the wait list. So, notification can really come at any time, any day.

I'd be thrilled to get an acceptance. I know it can be a very long wait, so right now I'm trying really hard to be patient. I was really impressed by this school (I interviewed at 5 places, so I have something on which to base my comparisons). It's an awesome place to study for anyone who gets accepted and decides to go. I got the sense that students really do come first, and the facilities are incredible. Anyway, fingers crossed.

I interviewed on 2/4, and on 3/20 (Sunday morning!) I received an email that I had been placed on the wait list. So, notification can really come at any time, any day.

Sorry to hear you were waitlisted. I have my :xf: for you too! But whoa, can I ask how you got an interview on a Sunday morning? I heard the last interview date was 3/18!

Sorry to hear you were waitlisted. I have my :xf: for you too! But whoa, can I ask how you got an interview on a Sunday morning? I heard the last interview date was 3/18!

I think Golden Boy interviewed on 2/4, and got the waitlist e-mail form Davis the morning of 3/20, a Sunday. I guess they are working Sundays? That's some dedication. Still waiting to hear back from November. Psychological torture. :scared:

I think Golden Boy interviewed on 2/4, and got the waitlist e-mail form Davis the morning of 3/20, a Sunday. I guess they are working Sundays? That's some dedication. Still waiting to hear back from November. Psychological torture. :scared:

Oh, wow, how stupid of me! Haha, thanks for clarifying!

Is it just me, or does it seem like they're not really going in order of when people interviewed? November til March is an incredibly long time!

Status
Not open for further replies.