2011-2012 Albert Einstein Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I go to school on Long Island, so Einstein is a great option. Love the NYC area!

Einstein is looking like a very interesting school for me. Does anyone know if they like Texas residents?

Any idea on how heavily the adcom weighs MCAT + GPA?

Seems as though w/ such a big applicant pool, they could easily get 35+ MCAT people to fill their school. But they don't.. which says that MCAT + GPA are not important after receiving interview invitation.

Seems as though w/ such a big applicant pool, they could easily get 35+ MCAT people to fill their school. But they don't.. which says that MCAT + GPA are not important after receiving interview invitation.

467 accepted, 183 enrolled. Take that as you will.

hmm... did not know that.. I guess people decline AE over other med schools, in which case it still works in favor of people with lower MCAT.. But I guess you never know with such big schools..

Of course I'm just speculating, lol.. In the end, what does it matter what they are looking for? People who are going to apply.. are going to apply no matter what. Why take a chance?

Members don't see this ad :)

I think a large part of those numbers is that for most people in their 20's, Manhattan >>> Bronx, so Einstein almost never wins the cross-admit battles with Columbia, Cornell, Mount Sinai, and NYU... :p

edit: Do you have access to the Manhattan schools' numbers? I'm curious what their yields are...

From what I've seen, numbers like those are very typical of most schools (I would guess the only exceptions being schools with small class sizes and the Top 10's, where applicants hang onto acceptances with a death grip). I don't have a copy of USNWR, but a quick search for the stats at NYU show that, in 2005, 439 acceptances went out for 167 spots in the incoming class. So the choosing Manhattan over Bronx hypothesis doesn't seem to fit. It's just how things are.

Last edited:
We should expect the secondary in the next day or two.

Can't wait for this secondary. It will be a quick one :), and I'm excited in general for Einstein. Seems like they have typical numbers for med schools (3.7/32) so I hope they really do review the whole application as this might suggest.

So I was looking through last year's thread on Einstein and I found the link to the admissions page. It looks like the secondary is up for people to complete. But I might not submit it until tomorrow since they don't acknowledge it.

So I was looking through last year's thread on Einstein and I found the link to the admissions page. It looks like the secondary is up for people to complete. But I might not submit it until tomorrow since they don't acknowledge it.

Link?

Don't fill the out the secondary yet. It says on their admissions website:

"All applicants are invited to complete the Secondary Application after receipt of the AMCAS application has been acknowledged by the Admissions Office. Applicants are sent a link to the Secondary upon receipt of the AMCAS application. Any Secondary that is received prior to acknowledgement will incur an automatic withdrawal. The Einstein AMCAS deadline is November 1."

I made an account and am filling it out right now. I won't submit until I get an email..

Sorry I'm being paranoid, but I want to make sure I'm reading that message correctly. It's okay if we've already accessed the link and started filling out the app right? As long as we don't click submit it's okay?

Sorry I'm being paranoid, but I want to make sure I'm reading that message correctly. It's okay if we've already accessed the link and started filling out the app right? As long as we don't click submit it's okay?

I sure as hell hope so

they say "receive".... and they wont receive until we submit so we are safe..

Don't fill the out the secondary yet. It says on their admissions website:

"All applicants are invited to complete the Secondary Application after receipt of the AMCAS application has been acknowledged by the Admissions Office. Applicants are sent a link to the Secondary upon receipt of the AMCAS application. Any Secondary that is received prior to acknowledgement will incur an automatic withdrawal. The Einstein AMCAS deadline is November 1."

DO NOT SUBMIT

I just got this lovely email

Shakespeare-
You have submitted a Secondary Application without having received an acknowledgement from the Office of Admissions.

As stated on our website: All applicants are invited to complete the Secondary Application after receipt of the AMCAS application has been acknowledged by the Admissions Office. Applicants are sent a link to the Secondary upon receipt of the AMCAS application. Any Secondary that is received prior to acknowledgement will incur an automatic withdrawal.

Office of Admissions
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
1300 Morris Park Avenue
Bronx, NY 10461

DO NOT SUBMIT

Shakespeare-
You have submitted a Secondary Application without having received an acknowledgement from the Office of Admissions.

As stated on our website: All applicants are invited to complete the Secondary Application after receipt of the AMCAS application has been acknowledged by the Admissions Office. Applicants are sent a link to the Secondary upon receipt of the AMCAS application. Any Secondary that is received prior to acknowledgement will incur an automatic withdrawal.

Office of Admissions
1300 Morris Park Avenue
Bronx, NY 10461

I hope they don't withdraw you.. that would just suck..

I hope they don't withdraw you.. that would just suck..

Yeah, me too. What bugs me is that I went through their application/admissions site, all the way through filling out the application, and they took my money with no problem. There was no mention of this during any of that. It is totally possible to get to the secondary without seeing the warning. I really, really, like Einsteins programs, devotion to the under-served, and location. It would be silly to miss out on a great opportunity because of a technicality.
Also, I kind of feel like my excitement and enthusiasm for the program is now counted against me. Everyone applying to medical school knows that the early bird gets the worm, and I feel sort of screwed for trying to show interest in a program by applying early. Hopefully admissions is willing to work with me and resolve this. Regardless, best of luck to you all! :luck:

If I am a reapplicant, do I actually list all the schools I applied before. Which ones should I list? What is the point of this question?

Yeah, me too. What bugs me is that I went through their application/admissions site, all the way through filling out the application, and they took my money with no problem. There was no mention of this during any of that. It is totally possible to get to the secondary without seeing the warning. I really, really, like Einsteins programs, devotion to the under-served, and location. It would be silly to miss out on a great opportunity because of a technicality.
Also, I kind of feel like my excitement and enthusiasm for the program is now counted against me. Everyone applying to medical school knows that the early bird gets the worm, and I feel sort of screwed for trying to show interest in a program by applying early. Hopefully admissions is willing to work with me and resolve this. Regardless, best of luck to you all! :luck:
Thanks, good luck to you as well. I'm sure it'll turn out fine. They'll most likely send out the apps tmrw anyways. Plus, looking at your MDApps, you're not an applicant they'll want to miss out on, haha.

Good Luck guys! If you have any questions about how the process was last year feel free to ask. This was the easiest secondary/interview day of the schools I applied to.

:D Einstein Class of 2015 :D

I submitted yesterday and received this email too, my stomach was in knots all night. What's the point of this technicality? If they dislike applicants submitting so early, then why allow us to do so and then punish us so severely? They seem to have made theirselves clear, I don't think there's anything we can do at this point. :(

DO NOT SUBMIT

Shakespeare-

Office of Admissions
1300 Morris Park Avenue
Bronx, NY 10461

Unfortunately I jumped the gun too... Got this same email and now am worried that I won't ever be asked to complete a secondary.. I didn't see the policy on the secondaries until I got this email. Hopefully everything will work out for the both of us. :luck:

Unfortunately I jumped the gun too... Got this same email and now am worried that I won't ever be asked to complete a secondary.. I didn't see the policy on the secondaries until I got this email. Hopefully everything will work out for the both of us. :luck:

I emailed them, and apparently our applications are now in the shredder. At least mine is. :( Makes no sense.

I emailed them, and apparently our applications are now in the shredder. At least mine is. :( Makes no sense.

I'm sorry :( Honestly, that is ridiculous. They should've posted that message on the same page as the sign-in for the secondary application.

I think this is the most ridiculous thing ever! The same happened to me. What happens to the people who did the same and paid the application fee?

Wow that's kinda sucky for us. Out of curiosity did you get your money back for the secondary?

Wait... how could our applications already be in the shredder if they don't even have them yet?

I called the admissions office and the lady said that if you submitted it before receiving an invitation, your application is withdrawn and you can't apply again.

It appears they have a strict anti-gunner policy.

I have some sympathy for those of you that jumped the gun on this one, but seriously--it's like inviting yourself to the movies. Except in this case you KNOW you're going to be invited if you were patient about it.

It's pretty harsh yes, but ask yourself: do they want applicants who aren't going to read instructions?

Agreed :p

Honestly, though, many applicants are not on SDN, and only a small subset of those on SDN would think to check last year's thread for the secondary link, so admissions might just want to keep the playing field level...

I have some sympathy for those of you that jumped the gun on this one, but seriously--it's like inviting yourself to the movies. Except in this case you KNOW you're going to be invited if you were patient about it.

It's pretty harsh yes, but ask yourself: do they want applicants who aren't going to read instructions?

Keep in mind people have been filling out secondaries for Baylor and Columbia for quite some time now (before it was out). In fact, the people at Columbia were answering questions about the secondary before it was publicly available so the precedent has been set. That being said, if the instructions clearly say not to fill it out before an invite then I do have to side with the school.

Keep in mind people have been filling out secondaries for Baylor and Columbia for quite some time now (before it was out). In fact, the people at Columbia were answering questions about the secondary before it was publicly available so the precedent has been set. That being said, if the instructions clearly say not to fill it out before an invite then I do have to side with the school.

I take a little issue with the precedence. Did anyone that submitted call before they did submit?

Check your e-mail! I just received the application acknowledgement from Einstein :)

Status
Not open for further replies.