2011-2012 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another question to keep it going:

If you are not selected to apply for a merit scholarship, what are the chance of actually getting one?

Members don't see this ad.

Another question to keep it going:

If you are not selected to apply for a merit scholarship, what are the chance of actually getting one?

I believe the only way to get a merit scholarship from Case is to be asked to apply for one. Then there's a selection process, etc, and a few people are selected.. Myuu can confirm.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I'm interviewing in late February, am I interviewing for a waitlist spot? :( I can't decide if it's worth going to my interview...

Well, now Case accepts roughly 200 students/year (discounting those who are accepted, but matriculated elsewhere). Of course, Case was founded back in 1843 with its first class measuring 67 students. Assuming that the class size expanded at a constant rate over 169 years, that gives us an average of about 134/year for 169 years, giving us a grand total of ~22,600 medical students that have attended Case.

Assuming that only about 10% of students are offered merit-based scholarships (and this is a pure estimation), that leaves 90% without merit, or roughly 20,300 students.

Thus far, no student who has not been offered a merit-based scholarship has indeed been awarded a merit based scholarship. Therefore assuming a SD of 0.0001%, or one ten thousandth, with a sample size of 20,300, it would be reasonable to say that it is due time to occur.

I will be calling the office of financial aid in the morning.

Well, now Case accepts roughly 200 students/year (discounting those who are accepted, but matriculated elsewhere). Of course, Case was founded back in 1843 with its first class measuring 67 students. Assuming that the class size expanded at a constant rate over 169 years, that gives us an average of about 134/year for 169 years, giving us a grand total of ~22,600 medical students that have attended Case.

Assuming that only about 10% of students are offered merit-based scholarships (and this is a pure estimation), that leaves 90% without merit, or roughly 20,300 students.

Thus far, no student who has not been offered a merit-based scholarship has indeed been awarded a merit based scholarship. Therefore assuming a SD of 0.0001%, or one ten thousandth, with a sample size of 20,300, it would be reasonable to say that it is due time to occur.

I will be calling the office of financial aid in the morning.
:laugh: "Hello, Financial Aid office? I'm calling to ask about my scholarship. I was not asked to apply for one, so based on past history, I should be getting one. When will I be receiving my letter of congratulations?"

I find this humerus too.

Does anyone know how many people the school interviews and what percentage are accepted?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how many people the school interviews and what percentage are accepted?

US News 2009:
Applied: 5556
Interviewed: 1192
Accepted:500
Enrolled: 199

Wow. TWO responses from two people?! I have to say, this is by far the most responsive and helpful school-specific forum I've posted in. Thanks guys! :)

According to @casemedadmiss, the decisions from the 1/30 Adcom meeting are in. They should be posted on iApply sometime later today.

Good luck to everybody waiting to hear back!

I'm wondering if any current/former students could please help me out on this one.

Is it helpful to study material before starting at medical school?

I'm wondering if any current/former students could please help me out on this one.

Not even a little bit, no. Go out and see a good thrash band or something instead.:laugh:

I have instead decided to teach myself to play the piano and guitar. :-D I can now play the piano with two hands!!! By time school starts I hope to shred up that dang keyboard! (I've been wanting to play the piano for years!)

Just checked iApply and was placed on hold. Has anyone had any luck getting out of this purgatory?

Just checked iApply and was placed on hold. Has anyone had any luck getting out of this purgatory?

We interviewed on the same day and I was put on hold also. One of the students told me she got off the waitlist in may but I don't know if that is something that occurs often or not.

Not even a little bit, no. Go out and see a good thrash band or something instead.:laugh:

I have instead decided to teach myself to play the piano and guitar. :-D I can now play the piano with two hands!!! By time school starts I hope to shred up that dang keyboard! (I've been wanting to play the piano for years!)

Myuu, don't worry. I'm hitting up as many metal shows as I possibly can before July 11th! :horns:

Thank you both for your advice. This is what I figured I'd hear, but I thought I would ask anyway. :thumbup:

I did a little light reading today and 2 years ago people were pulled off hold throughout the season. Last year no one was pulled off until April/may when they made the wait list and after the may1st deadline. It seems like they are accepting a lot of applicants this year so I'm thinking it's going to be last last year :(. Commence operation Case!

Every year is different - I have hope for us all! Good luck with everything. I have been on hold since October, so I understand how much this sucks, for case is magical!

Does anyone know how many acceptances they give out throughout the interview season (before creating the alternate list)?

We interviewed on the same day and I was put on hold also. One of the students told me she got off the waitlist in may but I don't know if that is something that occurs often or not.

Very frequently!

I did a little light reading today and 2 years ago people were pulled off hold throughout the season. Last year no one was pulled off until April/may when they made the wait list and after the may1st deadline. It seems like they are accepting a lot of applicants this year so I'm thinking it's going to be last last year :(. Commence operation Case!

Every year is different - I have hope for us all! Good luck with everything. I have been on hold since October, so I understand how much this sucks, for case is magical!

Thanks for doing all that research! :)

I looked only at last year's thread... was curious about the turnaround from Case's May 1st deadline to the commitment deadline of May 15th for most places-- looks like people start moving off waitlist around May 8th or so. That's a long time to wait. :(

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone knows how many merit scholarships Case Western awards every year? Do you think they would be biased against international (Canadian) students? Thanks for your help!

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone knows how many merit scholarships Case Western awards every year? Do you think they would be biased against international (Canadian) students)? Thanks for your help!

Merit scholarships are not openly discussed, nor is the associated data made available. Sorry!

myuu, don't worry. I'm hitting up as many metal shows as i possibly can before july 11th! :horns:

Thank you both for your advice. This is what i figured i'd hear, but i thought i would ask anyway. :thumbup:

attachment.php

Could anyone comment on the anatomy labs? We didn't get to see them on my tour, and I've heard from others that they are not the most wonderful compared to other schools. Obviously not a deal breaker, I'm just curious :) thanks!

Anyone interviewing 2/6 want to share a hotel? I have a double room with free breakfast and internet near the Downtown Red Line stop. The Red Line connects the airport with the CWRU campus so you don't need a car. I will share with anyone so long as they don't snore or talk in their sleep. Half is $50, PM me if interested

Last edited:
awesome4.gif

TOP! Think it's definitely time another ninja got in here. And this is Dr McNinja (http://drmcninja.com) so that's even better!

Artsciencelove, I'm interviewing on the 6th as well, but I already have a hotel. Good luck!
http://drmcninja.com/

Attachments

• mcninja.gif
    31.7 KB · Views: 43
Could anyone comment on the anatomy labs? We didn't get to see them on my tour, and I've heard from others that they are not the most wonderful compared to other schools. Obviously not a deal breaker, I'm just curious :) thanks!

They're nice enough, I suppose? There aren't any sweeping city views, or anything, but they are certainly spacious enough for us.

What percentage of CWRU applicants do you all think post on SDN?

They're nice enough, I suppose? There aren't any sweeping city views, or anything, but they are certainly spacious enough for us.

Does it have windows or a draft system? I also was told case still stores cadavers in body bags, is that true? Thanks for your response!

How awesome is it to have anatomy spread out over two years and have it directly correspond with what you're learning at the time? ;)

Does it have windows or a draft system? I also was told case still stores cadavers in body bags, is that true? Thanks for your response!

I'm not trying to be mean or rude but why does this matter? A shiny new well drafted anatomy lab is still going to smell and the cadavers will still be the same wherever you go. It seems to me that there are other more important factors that should be examined when choosing a med school. Also, I think every place I went to where 3rd or 4th years gave a tour, they thought it was pointless to judge a school by their anatomy lab or how many people dissect a body. Please enlighten me if I'm missing something...

I'm not trying to be mean or rude but why does this matter? A shiny new well drafted anatomy lab is still going to smell and the cadavers will still be the same wherever you go. It seems to me that there are other more important factors that should be examined when choosing a med school. Also, I think every place I went to where 3rd or 4th years gave a tour, they thought it was pointless to judge a school by their anatomy lab or how many people dissect a body. Please enlighten me if I'm missing something...

I can't make second look and I'm trying to make a decision with the most information possible. So sorry to have offended you.

I can't make second look and I'm trying to make a decision with the most information possible. So sorry to have offended you.

You didn't offend me and I wasn't trying to offend you. I was just trying to understand why anatomy labs are important in one's decision, since the medical students I spoke to didn't seem to care about it that much. Sorry:)

a little late on the trigger, i've been off the grid for a couple of days, internet-wise.. buuuuut, international applicant, interviewed 1/20, aaaa-CCEPTED! over the moon! yes! i love you, case - so moved that the feeling seems to be mutual.

It doesn't have windows. I imagine it has a draft system somewhere, but I haven't poked around at anything that isn't a cadaver in there, so I've no idea. If not body bags, then what? Ziploc bags?:confused::confused::confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.