2011-2012 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tupperwaretubs.jpg

Giant Tupperware?

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't have windows. I imagine it has a draft system somewhere, but I haven't poked around at anything that isn't a cadaver in there, so I've no idea. If not body bags, then what? Ziploc bags?:confused::confused::confused:

thanks for the info. i had heard some surprisingly negative things from people i know who interviewed last year but they couldn't remember specifics, so i guess i was curious and halfway imagining some sort of dark medieval closet for a lab. glad that's not the story.

and i was referring to the metal boxes the other schools i visited used to store their cadavers.

tupperwaretubs.jpg

Giant Tupperware?

Since watching "Breaking Bad" I can't see plastic like this and not think, "incorrect body disposal". :)

ps. I can't wait for valentines day!

Members don't see this ad :)
Since watching "Breaking Bad" I can't see plastic like this and not think, "incorrect body disposal". :)

ps. I can't wait for valentines day!

I haven't seen Breaking Bad (one of these days, I will), but I imagine that sounds less disturbing with proper context.:hungover:

I haven't seen Breaking Bad (one of these days, I will), but I imagine that sounds less disturbing with proper context.:hungover:

No, no. Just as disturbing as you're imagining. Hydrofluoric acid and a bathtub are involved.

It's a great show by the way (Cranston definitely deserved his 3 emmies) and now netflix-streamable.

Good luck everyone waiting on CCLCM decisions! Fingers crossed. :xf:

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread before, but organizing the "school specific" topics by post count the top 2 are Case 2009-2010 and 2010-2011. That's quite an active community.

Will 2011-2012 be as inquisitive? Only time will tell. :)

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread before, but organizing the "school specific" topics by post count the top 2 are Case 2009-2010 and 2010-2011. That's quite an active community.

Will 2011-2012 be as inquisitive? Only time will tell. :)

I'm afraid 2011-2012 has been by far less prolific. :cry:

Happened to look at my iApply and saw that Case put me on a post-interview hold several days ago. :( Really disappointed about this one.

Does anyone have info about how many people are put on hold and how many get taken off?

Happened to look at my iApply and saw that Case put me on a post-interview hold several days ago. :( Really disappointed about this one.

Does anyone have info about how many people are put on hold and how many get taken off?

As I understand, the majority of applicants who arent accepted are put on hold. How many get taken off varies from year to year - we get a better idea of where we stand in March when they will reject most of the holds and the rest make the waitlist.

I was wondering if students could comment a bit on what life is like in Cleveland. Thanks

I was wondering if students could comment a bit on what life is like in Cleveland. Thanks

Is there a specific thing you're interested in or looking for? I'd love to outline my Cleveland experience for you, but it would take longer than you'd like.:p

Is there a specific thing you're interested in or looking for? I'd love to outline my Cleveland experience for you, but it would take longer than you'd like.:p

Hmm...Do students typically live in the same neighborhood? Is your class close? Is there good housing near campus? How is the restaurant/take out scene?

Hmm...Do students typically live in the same neighborhood? Is your class close? Is there good housing near campus? How is the restaurant/take out scene?

On the topic of food, the availability is excellent. Cleveland is definitely a food city. There's great quick options on campus, as well as nice sit-down restaurants as well. Travel 20 minutes to downtown Cleveland, and you have a whole street (East 4th) dedicated to great food. There's great food options throughout the whole city, enough to please even the pickiest eater.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just did a little mdapps stalking.... and congrats on all those interviews phnerd! Not going to lie though, Im still rooting for you to get off hold at case (well, and me too so that we can be classmates and I can meet you!) I feel that Myuu will pass on the torch to you one day...

Myuu, you should make an SDN guru torch!

Just did a little mdapps stalking.... and congrats on all those interviews phnerd! Not going to lie though, Im still rooting for you to get off hold at case (well, and me too so that we can be classmates and I can meet you!) I feel that Myuu will pass on the torch to you one day...

Myuu, you should make an SDN guru torch!

Aw, thanks! Fingers crossed for the both of us :) :xf:

So, I was looking at Case's 2012-2013 Academic Calender, and I am wondering, where is the summer break? This isn't a big deal to me, but I'm just curious. It says Block 1 starts on July 2nd 2012 and Block 13 ends on June 28th 2013. I assume the second year of medical school doesn't start as early as M1-Block 1? Thanks!

http://casemed.case.edu/registrar/calendar/academic12-13.cfm

:laugh: I shall only accept if it is delivered on a Hattori Hanzo as well ;)

Well, yeah. Obviously.

So, I was looking at Case's 2012-2013 Academic Calender, and I am wondering, where is the summer break? This isn't a big deal to me, but I'm just curious. It says Block 1 starts on July 2nd 2012 and Block 13 ends on June 28th 2013. I assume the second year of medical school doesn't start as early as M1-Block 1? Thanks!

http://casemed.case.edu/registrar/calendar/academic12-13.cfm

lolwut? Block 13???

(M2 starts in august (there are only 6 blocks in the first two years))

Well, yeah. Obviously.

lolwut? Block 13???

(M2 starts in august (there are only 6 blocks in the first two years))

Hmmmm :confused:

Well, if you follow the link, there are 13 separate blocks listed? I remember there only being 6 blocks, but that link really confused me. Thanks for the clarification.

Hmmmm :confused:

Well, if you follow the link, there are 13 separate blocks listed? I remember there only being 6 blocks, but that link really confused me. Thanks for the clarification.

It's listed like that for this year and last year, too. Weeeeird.

It's listed like that for this year and last year, too. Weeeeird.

This same thing was confusing for me but instead of asking on here I just went and lay down for a while and then forgot to ask.

This same thing was confusing for me but instead of asking on here I just went and lay down for a while and then forgot to ask.

That's generally how I deal with things.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

@ Myuuu

On the following web page address

http://wiki.case.edu/SOM/CodeBlue/WR2#Pre-WR2

there is a section that says:

Pre-WR2 eCurriculum - This resource is available through the new eCurriculum by scrolling down and there is a link on the left hand side. You can often find the old lecture videostreams, which are often very similar to the ones we get in WR2. So, if you happen to miss a class or want to go over something again, you can check out this site for some more information.

I do not have a login to check it out but I had a few questions about these lectures first are they comprehensive i.e a lecture on every topic in each block, second are they downloadable, like into my itunes or some other storage format and third can they be manipulated i.e played at double speed e.t.c

It feels like spring up here in Canada today. How is life in the Cleve?

Cloudy and 31°. Looks like winter finally decided to show up. Sort of.

Say, want to bring me some cheaply-priced, but quality hockey goods from canuckistan?

Put in a good word for me at the admissions office? Jk. If I get in that can most definitely be arranged. My brother plays so I suspect he knows where to get the good stuff with the good deals!

Put in a good word for me at the admissions office? Jk. If I get in that can most definitely be arranged. My brother plays so I suspect he knows where to get the good stuff with the good deals!

:laugh:

The only reason I mentioned it is that I'm about to return a chest protector to somewhere in Ontario and am filling out the customs paperwork (which is annoying).:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Say, want to bring me some cheaply-priced, but quality hockey goods from canuckistan?
@ Myuuu

Pre-WR2 eCurriculum - This resource is available through the new eCurriculum by scrolling down and there is a link on the left hand side. You can often find the old lecture videostreams, which are often very similar to the ones we get in WR2. So, if you happen to miss a class or want to go over something again, you can check out this site for some more information.

I do not have a login to check it out but I had a few questions about these lectures first are they comprehensive i.e a lecture on every topic in each block, second are they downloadable, like into my itunes or some other storage format and third can they be manipulated i.e played at double speed e.t.c

@ Myuuu

I've never used it, so I've no idea.

Hey Myuu, I have a quick question for you.

Do you know if many good metal shows come through Cleveland? Or do most come through Cincinnati and/or Columbus? Thanks!

Hey Myuu, I have a quick question for you.

Do you know if many good metal shows come through Cleveland? Or do most come through Cincinnati and/or Columbus? Thanks!

How are defining good metal? I've seen Otep here and will be seeing children of bodom later. Finntroll and Eluveitie have been spotted repeatedly. Metallica swings by every now and then.

Edit:
Peabody's has a bunch of metal acts that come through. If you look at their schedule, it's pretty much metal, metal, metal, thing no one cares about, metal, metal, rap, metal, etc. Staind came by at some point last year or the year before, but I don't remember which venue. The Grog Shop has (much) lighter fare, but I've never actually been there.

Edit 2: But it would seem that The Shins and Cursive will be there this year, which excites me but probably not you. C'mooooooon Janelle Monae....

Edit 3: Man, I had no idea Dog Fashion Disco was still active...
Edit 4: Aaaahahahaha--Pink Martini
Edit 5: Quicken Loans Arena (The Q, home of the Cleveland Cavaliers) hosts the national acts, like Lady Gaga two years ago and Rammstein this May.
Edit 6: Red Hot Chili Peppers in June...
Edit 7: Buckethead at Beachland Ballroom in April

Last edited:
How are defining good metal? I've seen Otep here and will be seeing children of bodom later. Finntroll and Eluveitie have been spotted repeatedly. Metallica swings by every now and then.

Edit:
Peabody's has a bunch of metal acts that come through. If you look at their schedule, it's pretty much metal, metal, metal, thing no one cares about, metal, metal, rap, metal, etc. Staind came by at some point last year or the year before, but I don't remember which venue. The Grog Shop has (much) lighter fare, but I've never actually been there.

Edit 2: But it would seem that The Shins and Cursive will be there this year, which excites me but probably not you. C'mooooooon Janelle Monae....

Edit 3: Man, I had no idea Dog Fashion Disco was still active...
Edit 4: Aaaahahahaha--Pink Martini
Edit 5: Quicken Loans Arena (The Q, home of the Cleveland Cavaliers) hosts the national acts, like Lady Gaga two years ago and Rammstein this May.
Edit 6: Red Hot Chili Peppers in June...
Edit 7: Buckethead at Beachland Ballroom in April

Awesome! Thanks for the insight :thumbup: Occasional metal shows will definitely be a stress reliever.

So I finally got around to converting our temperatures and too funny - where I am its 18 but Im think it feels like spring, where you are its 31 and you are saying it feels like winter! Different perspectives....

So I finally got around to converting our temperatures and too funny - where I am its 18 but Im think it feels like spring, where you are its 31 and you are saying it feels like winter! Different perspectives....

:laugh:

It's been a ridiculously warm winter this year. 2C is the monthly average for this month, apparently, but it's been much colder in previous years... No lengthy snow accumulations this year.:cry:

Shins/Antlers 6/9, Cleveland Masonic Auditorium. Ticket sales start 2/10 at 11am.

Just down the street, if 3-5 mi counts.

I'm there. I can't remember them ever coming through NE Ohio when they were huge.

Edit: aaaaaaand it's pricey. $42 for general admission. (6/8/12)

Of Montreal will also be in town soon, but sadly, they are not bringing Janelle Monet with them.:cry:

Already got my ticket. Haha. Maybe Solange Knowles will show up!

One of my favorites. "The Past is a Grotesque Animal" is pretty transcendent.

Already got my ticket. Haha. Maybe Solange Knowles will show up!

One of my favorites. "The Past is a Grotesque Animal" is pretty transcendent.

Nice!

Man, I dislike autocorrect intensely. Monae. Monaemonaemonae!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.