2011-2012 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How feasible would it be to attend an international medical mission while in medical school. Every year it falls on spring break and I was just wondering if the spring breaks for Case are a full week. I would be gone for roughly 10 days so I would miss monday and tuesday of the following week. This, of course, would only be if the mission falls on the same week also.
Let me know what you think, cause I would miss two days of class and as of right now that seems unthinkable to miss any days of class in medical school. It's just that I won't be able to make it to the trip this year which I figure would be my last chance if it's out of the question during medical school. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that most schools recommend that students do an international elective in their 4th year because then you have the skills so you are basically a physician there and get great hands on training and do skilled work. However this sounds like a pretty specific trip you want to go on (enter current student response here: )

Last edited:
It's variable. Late feb or early march. There's a trip to Peru every year over the summer, though...

Members don't see this ad :)
Case is seriously thorough with their press releases. I just saw an announcement that bexarotene is going to be covered on my local (Canadian) 11 o'clock news.

Ooooh~ there's a video!

[YOUTUBE]HdYdYeNAYpU[/YOUTUBE]

(I'm trying to find the paper)

Found it.

ApoE-Directed Therapeutics Rapidly Clear β-Amyloid and Reverse Deficits in AD Mouse Models
Paige E. Cramer, John R. Cirrito, Daniel W. Wesson, C. Y. Daniel Lee, J. Colleen Karlo, Adriana E. Zinn, Brad T. Casali, Jessica L. Restivo, Whitney D. Goebel, Michael J. James, Kurt R. Brunden, Donald A. Wilson, and Gary E. Landreth
Science 1217697Published online 9 February 2012 [DOI:10.1126/science.1217697]

abstract said:
Alzheimer's disease is associated with impaired clearance of β-amyloid from the brain, a process normally facilitated by apolipoprotein E (ApoE). ApoE expression is transcriptionally induced through the action of the nuclear receptors peroxisome proliferator activated receptor (PPARγ) and liver X receptors (LXR) in coordination with retinoid X receptors (RXR). Oral administration of the RXR agonist, bexarotene, to a murine model of Alzheimer's disease resulted in enhanced clearance of soluble Aβ within hours in an apoE-dependent manner. Aβ plaque area was reduced >50% within just 72 hours. Furthermore, bexarotene stimulated the rapid reversal of cognitive, social, and olfactory deficits and improved neural circuit function. Thus, RXR activation stimulates physiological Aβ clearance mechanisms, resulting in the very rapid reversal of a broad range of Aβ-induced deficits.

Edit the 2nd: Looks like it's a Sciencexpress report. I look forward to seeing the paper that comes out of it.

Last edited:
I interviewed on 1/23 so I'm in the same boat. If I see an email with iApply in the subject line I'll probably poop my pants, and, depending on the contents of the email, I might be ok with that.

I have to admit I almost sharted myself a little when I got an email from Case -- it was just the "thanks for interviewing, now take this survey" mail. :laugh:

I have to admit I almost sharted myself a little when I got an email from Case -- it was just the "thanks for interviewing, now take this survey" mail. :laugh:

If it's any consolation, the committee is meeting on Monday and we were told decisions should be up on iapply sometime mid-week!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmSW-OM8h8c[/YOUTUBE]

Can any current students concur if this is indeed correct? :D:D

Good Morning Cleveland!

We have had our first significant snowfall in what seems like an eternity here! Good times. Good times.

The interview season is completed, and I am updating (as promised) on the "path forward" for CCLCM:

As I have said, during this upcoming week will be the admissions committee meeting. At this meeting the remainder of the first 32 acceptances will be decided. There are a few subsequent meetings and paperwork to be done which means that the actual calls will not go out until the week after, roughly. Also, decisions about all applicants will be made at that time. These results will be posted shortly thereafter to iApply. If I learn more about exact dates/times of acceptances going out, I will let you know.

Again, I remind you that CCLCM cannot over-accept - so there will be exactly 32 accepted after this last round of the admissions committee, so a dozen or so acceptances will be going out with this round immediately. A waiting list will be formed at this meeting a well. It is a zero-sum game wherein applicants will be accepted of this waiting list only after individuals decline their acceptances.

As the "traffic date" approaches, I would anticipate more movement off the waiting list to occur.

Good luck. I hope I have made this clear. If you have any questions, let me know. :luck::xf:

If it's any consolation, the committee is meeting on Monday and we were told decisions should be up on iapply sometime mid-week!

Hoping we get good news and avoid episodes of fecal incontinence!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the update vc7777!

The following week can't come soon enough. CCLCM is definitely my top choice.

Two questions about the waitlist. If we end up on the list, is it possible to find out if we're "near the top" or elsewehere in the order? Many of the first years we met during our interview came from the WL. Do you know how much movement there is in a typical year?

Cheers!

This thread is awesome. Thanks for those who shared their experience!

Though I'm not applying in this cycle, I will be applying in the 2012-2013 cycle. I'm a non-trad and have a family. So wherever I go for med school, it has to be the right place for all of us. So, one question for my family, and one question for myself:

From the students' view...
1)
Is the college program family-friendly? I mean, will I have flexible time to spend with my family other than research time? Is there any good and affordable daycare center on-campus or off-campus?

2)
What is the general attitude there towards intergrative medicine, complementary and alternative medicine? In addition, what's the general opinion there towards medicinal use of marijuana? (As far as I know, Ohio is currently one of the states with pending legalization of medical use of marijuana)

Thank you very much!

1)
Is the college program family-friendly? I mean, will I have flexible time to spend with my family other than research time? Is there any good and affordable daycare center on-campus or off-campus?
I'll let vc7777 take this one, since she has kids and I don't. ;)

2)
What is the general attitude there towards intergrative medicine, complementary and alternative medicine? In addition, what's the general opinion there towards medicinal use of marijuana? (As far as I know, Ohio is currently one of the states with pending legalization of medical use of marijuana)
Medicine is a business like any other, and CAM is a big draw for a significant minority of people. Thus, CCF has an integrative medicine center for those who want CAM and are willing to pay for it.

Most CAM modalities are useless and some are outright harmful. That being said, I do think there is one very good reason for physicians to learn about CAM, and that's to be able to effectively counsel and care for patients who use it. During med school, I took an elective on CAM and wrote a paper about it, which is posted on my blog if you're interested. I would argue that CAM basically exists because of two failures of modern medicine. First, there is our inability to treat certain illnesses. When modern science has nothing to offer a patient, it's understandable that they'd turn to CAM in lieu of giving up entirely. Second, there is the sense of impersonality and alienation that some patients have, often expressed as feeling like they are "just a number." Considering that even I, as an intern, am only able to spend 15-20 minutes with each patient, and am constantly being encouraged to drop that down to 10-15 minutes (or less), this is understandable as well.

My view of medical marijuana is analogous. Considering that we have much more effective treatments for both pain and nausea, I see medical marijuana as a backdoor effort to legalize marijuana in general. That being said, I'm libertarian-leaning enough that this doesn't particularly bother me. Also, if people who are terminally ill want to spend the last few weeks/months of their lives at home toking up, I say more power to 'em.

Most CAM modalities are useless and some are outright harmful. That being said, I do think there is one very good reason for physicians to learn about CAM, and that's to be able to effectively counsel and care for patients who use it. During med school, I took an elective on CAM and wrote a paper about it, which is posted on my blog if you're interested. I would argue that CAM basically exists because of two failures of modern medicine. First, there is our inability to treat certain illnesses. When modern science has nothing to offer a patient, it's understandable that they'd turn to CAM in lieu of giving up entirely. Second, there is the sense of impersonality and alienation that some patients have, often expressed as feeling like they are "just a number." Considering that even I, as an intern, am only able to spend 15-20 minutes with each patient, and am constantly being encouraged to drop that down to 10-15 minutes (or less), this is understandable as well.

I saw that paper in your blog. A very useful resource by the way, thanks for keeping it up for so long.

There's an interesting synopsis of the bioethics regarding CAM here:

http://depts.washington.edu/bioethx/topics/compl.html

I think it's useful for a physician to understand CAM as much as their patients are interested. As a phsycian, you can only ever be a medical care adviser to the patient. Learning about what the patient is interested in will make you a better adviser, advocate for your opinion, and hopefully lead to better establishing a trusting relationship so that the patient considers your advice.

Take care!

edit: CCLCMer, I just noticed your final fifth year rotation was in "Addiction Medicine". Considering the above discussion of medical marijuana, did your experiences during that rotation effect your libertarian-leanings as far as recreational drugs are concerned? I'm just curious.

Last edited:
I think it's useful for a physician to understand CAM as much as their patients are interested. As a phsycian, you can only ever be a medical care adviser to the patient. Learning about what the patient is interested in will make you a better adviser, advocate for your opinion, and hopefully lead to better establishing a trusting relationship so that the patient considers your advice.
I agree. A lot of what burns me about useless CAM modalities like homeopathic remedies and reiki is that I feel like their practitioners are taking advantage of patients' ignorance and desperation for their own profit. On the bright side, no one will ever get hurt by homeopathy or reiki, either.

edit: CCLCMer, I just noticed your final fifth year rotation was in "Addiction Medicine". Considering the above discussion of medical marijuana, did your experiences during that rotation effect your libertarian-leanings as far as recreational drugs are concerned?
Not about marijuana specifically. We mainly treated patients for opioid addiction, and I was already on the libertarian side about recreational drugs before starting medical school. Ironically though, I'm now much more sympathetic to the idea of outlawing tobacco. If every cigarette on the planet magically vanished, the suffering of millions of people could be averted, and we would have no trouble paying for health care. One could conceivably make the same argument about alcohol....

Unlike alcohol withdrawal, opioid withdrawal isn't life-threatening. But if you've ever seen someone withdrawing from heroin or prescription opioids, you don't need me to tell you that they feel like total crap. I would say the main effect of that rotation on me is that I have a lot more sympathy for patients who are in opioid withdrawal than many of my coworkers do. That is in part due to the fact that I came to see addiction as a disease process rather than as mainly a personal choice. But it's also because I spent that month working with addicts longitudinally and seeing what they go through to try to get clean.

sooo it's interesting that this school has a twitter solely for its admissions. Because now I know that there will be a meeting today to discuss my interview day:whistle: Just have to wait and see...

I agree. A lot of what burns me about useless CAM modalities like homeopathic remedies and reiki is that I feel like their practitioners are taking advantage of patients' ignorance and desperation for their own profit. On the bright side, no one will ever get hurt by homeopathy or reiki, either.

It can hurt patients when they waste precious time pursuing "alternative" therapies that are not grounded in any research when they should be getting medical help. In my mind, it's a very expensive placebo effect.

It can hurt patients when they waste precious time pursuing "alternative" therapies that are not grounded in any research when they should be getting medical help. In my mind, it's a very expensive placebo effect.

Agree one hundred percent.

I agree, and as I said, it burns me that practitioners of useless CAM take advantage of patients for their own profit. But I was specifically talking about physical harm due to the CAM treatment itself. For example, people can get vertebral artery dissections from being manipulated by chiropractors. (I've seen that once so far.) They can have serious adverse reactions if they're taking herbal remedies along with standard drugs. (For example, taking St John's wort along with an SSRI can cause serotonin syndrome.) They can also get infections from being treated with dirty acupuncture needles. But no one's physical condition has ever been made worse by drinking a teaspoon of pure water or having someone wave their hands over their body.

hope to get off of that hold status this week!

I think the post was talking about CCLM but I'm not sure...

Ahhh, maybe. I was thinking that if nothing special was expected this week, then it'd be UP-related rather than CCLCM-related.

In any case, good luck to everyone still waiting!:luck:

We're still interviewing, so it's highly unlikely that people will start to come off of hold status at this time.
So according to Twitter, the admissions office has been pretty sparing with acceptances thus far. I know you said earlier that hold most likely means wait list or rejection- any chance this year is different? (holding out for any hope... sorry to ask this)

So according to Twitter, the admissions office has been pretty sparing with acceptances thus far. I know you said earlier that hold most likely means wait list or rejection- any chance this year is different? (holding out for any hope... sorry to ask this)

Same ol', same ol'. If they've been more sparing than the last couple of years, I suspect a bunch of people currently on hold are going to be very happy campers after May 15th.

Same ol', same ol'. If they've been more sparing than the last couple of years, I suspect a bunch of people currently on hold are going to be very happy campers after May 15th.

Here's hoping :xf:

Here's hoping :xf:

+123981029830989123

Case is my dream school, and its not just because I've been here for four years already. I love the dynamic area, the multitude of opportunities they offer, and the supportive and kind people in general. Cleveland is a great city, and those who say otherwise just haven't really experienced it.

I called admissions earlier to ask about the movement of the hold list. They said it hold files won't be reviewed again until late Feb. or early March.

I called admissions earlier to ask about the movement of the hold list. They said it hold files won't be reviewed again until late Feb. or early March.

Did you ask whether they would be reviewed for the waitlist or for acceptance?
Thanks for calling!

Thanks for calling!

For the waitlist. There maybe some lucky few that come off immediately, but the vast majority will be waitlisted or rejected.

Thanks for calling!

Last year no one (on SDN) was immediately accepted in March/April from the hold list. BUT after the May 1st deadline a large group of applicants were accepted all at once.

I almost quoted a little Magic School Bus there and started this post with "according to my research".... managed to hold back (until now, that is).

Last year no one (on SDN) was immediately accepted in March/April from the hold list. BUT after the May 1st deadline a large group of applicants were accepted all at once.

I almost quoted a little Magic School Bus there and started this post with "according to my research".... managed to hold back (until now, that is).

Yes.

And now, a victory for Team Ninja
cr_mega_562_ninja_hi.jpg

quick question regarding MD/MS programs for UP students.

I understand that there is a stipend provided for the research year. However, I am assuming there is a tuition charge for courses taken (prior to the research year) towards the MS. Where can I find info on how much it would cost for UP students to obtain an MS?

quick question regarding MD/MS programs for UP students.

I understand that there is a stipend provided for the research year. However, I am assuming there is a tuition charge for courses taken (prior to the research year) towards the MS. Where can I find info on how much it would cost for UP students to obtain an MS?

:confused:

Research year? Stipend?? Paying for extra courses?!

We do none of those things.

Wholeheartedly had it right. I am trying to figure out how much I would have to pay for the extra courses for the MS.

Wholeheartedly had it right. I am trying to figure out how much I would have to pay for the extra courses for the MS.

All non-professional courses, graduate or otherwise, are free. However, an extra year would be 5% of regular med school tuition to maintain enrollment.

All non-professional courses, graduate or otherwise, are free. However, an extra year would be 5% of regular med school tuition to maintain enrollment.

Nice :thumbup:

Thanks Myuu!

Thanks for the update vc7777!

The following week can't come soon enough. CCLCM is definitely my top choice.

Two questions about the waitlist. If we end up on the list, is it possible to find out if we're "near the top" or elsewehere in the order? Many of the first years we met during our interview came from the WL. Do you know how much movement there is in a typical year?

Cheers!
The waitlist, if ranked, is certainly not known by anybody outside of the admissions committee - sorry. I do not know how it will go down exactly this year, but if I find out information I will surely let you know.

As for movement, it will greatly depend on those who are accepted declining. Offers to people on the waitlist can be made anytime up until the start of school.

I'll let vc7777 take this one, since she has kids and I don't. ;)
what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

For those skeptical of homeopathy, let "Dr."Werner explain Einstein's equation to you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hoe3ZjRV7-I
I feel dumber for having watched that video. Thanks.

Even law? I thought there was a few exceptions, like B-school and law school? But I may be mistaken?

This thread is awesome. Thanks for those who shared their experience!

Though I'm not applying in this cycle, I will be applying in the 2012-2013 cycle. I'm a non-trad and have a family. So wherever I go for med school, it has to be the right place for all of us. So, one question for my family, and one question for myself:

1) Is the college program family-friendly? I mean, will I have flexible time to spend with my family other than research time? Is there any good and affordable daycare center on-campus or off-campus?
I do not know of a more flexible schedule in the basic science years of any medical school. We have minimal time in the classroom, but it is mandatory. However, "flexibility" does not equal "free time". Rather, you can adjust your schedule to meets your home needs. Me personally, I managed to travel home to my family 3 hours away every Friday afternoon and be with them without distraction until returning Sunday night. While not ideal, I tell you this to demonstrate that there is flexibility.

Having said that, you will still have to devote your summers to our program (before both your first and second year), not to mention have an additional year of education. So in this sense, with less vacation time, it isn't as "friendly" as perhaps some other programs.

Finally, my children are all school-aged, so I cannot comment directly on childcare around the city. However, my sense it is available, and likely affordable. There is a daycare associated with the Clinic, but I do not know anything about it - Sorry!

2) What is the general attitude there towards intergrative medicine, complementary and alternative medicine? In addition, what's the general opinion there towards medicinal use of marijuana? (As far as I know, Ohio is currently one of the states with pending legalization of medical use of marijuana)
2) I am skeptical of mosts SCAMs (supplements, complimentary, and alternative medicines), but I will leave this discussions to others, including CCLCMer.

The waitlist, if ranked, is certainly not known by anybody outside of the admissions committee - sorry. I do not know how it will go down exactly this year, but if I find out information I will surely let you know.

As for movement, it will greatly depend on those who are accepted declining. Offers to people on the waitlist can be made anytime up until the start of school.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

I feel dumber for having watched that video. Thanks.

Even law? I thought there was a few exceptions, like B-school and law school? But I may be mistaken?

I was counting law as a profession.

Status
Not open for further replies.