2011-2012 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't gotten any update till today for CCLCM since II, but now my status page says "alternate list".

""We are offering you a place on our alternate list in anticipation of persons currently on our class roster withdrawing between now and the date of matriculation.""

What's the difference between alternate and hold/high hold?

Congrats to everyone who was accepted! For the rest of us, hang in there.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't gotten any update till today for CCLCM since II, but now my status page says "alternate list".

""We are offering you a place on our alternate list in anticipation of persons currently on our class roster withdrawing between now and the date of matriculation.""

What's the difference between alternate and hold/high hold?

Congrats to everyone who was accepted! For the rest of us, hang in there.

+1

I spent the last 4 days waiting for a rejection letter, thus the alternate list doesn't seem so bad. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I would guess high hold gets preference over alternate...I have no clue though. I would be interested how many people are on each list

I apologize of this has been asked, but regarding Case's university program, does anyone know when they decide what to do with the people on the "on-hold" list? Is it appropriate to write a letter of intent while being on the "on-hold" category?
Thanks!

I'm really interested in the Clinical Research Scholars Program (the dual degree MD/MS), and if I ultimately decide to attend Case (high chance, I think), I would definitely want to participate. I have 2 questions:

1. How early can you apply? Do you first need medical school grades?
2. How competitive is the admissions process into the program?

Also, more unrelated:
I think I remember Mr. Essman saying during interview day that there is no internal ranking the first 2 years. Can anyone confirm?

I'm really interested in the Clinical Research Scholars Program (the dual degree MD/MS), and if I ultimately decide to attend Case (high chance, I think), I would definitely want to participate. I have 2 questions:

Also, more unrelated:
I think I remember Mr. Essman saying during interview day that there is no internal ranking the first 2 years. Can anyone confirm?

1a. end of first year/second year
1b. Not really, you just need to be here.
2. Not terribly - there is no limitation to the number who can take CRSP.

still no change to my cclcm status. Anyone else in this boat?

I guess those programs overlap between UP and CP?

vc7777,
Could you please comment on high holding vs alternate list for CCLCM? which takes the precedence? I could not find out the answer about these anywhere. Thanks

In a sense - the program is through Case's graduate school (all of us Case students must apply to grad school). However, there are separate courses taught at the clinic for the program.

Gotcha.

Members don't see this ad :)
are they updating in ABC order or something???

Probably not, my last name starts with Z, and I got an update yesterday...I don't really know what's going on in this process. Waiting for some answers too

I apologize of this has been asked, but regarding Case's university program, does anyone know when they decide what to do with the people on the "on-hold" list? Is it appropriate to write a letter of intent while being on the "on-hold" category?
Thanks!

March, probably late March, if not early April.

Also, more unrelated:

Seeing as we don't have grades the first two years, med school grades are not an admissions criterion for that program. There is no internal ranking during the preclinical years.

Just called the admissions office. They said everyone will be updated by Feb 29

VC, got a question for you.

In your scholarly year at CCLCM - can you do a Fulbright or Marshall Scholarship in that yaer off (and do research abroad)? Do students do this? If not, is there anyway to "Study Abroad?"

Also, and completely off topic, the high hold letter says that we should know by April 16th. Does that mean that the 16th is the only day we hear back or that we can hear back up to the 16th if people withdraw?

This is the last week of interviews. :oops:

I interviewed at case yesterday and was thoroughly impressed. Cleveland is actually pretty cool. You get cheap tickets to the orchestra. I found this cool bar called Fairmount martini and wine bar. Coventry street is pretty happening. Everyone was so friendly. I can definitely see myself coming and thriving here. I love how the curriculum is set up with four months of research for the third year. I hope case loves me as much as I do it!

In your scholarly year at CCLCM - can you do a Fulbright or Marshall Scholarship in that yaer off (and do research abroad)? Do students do this? If not, is there anyway to "Study Abroad?"
In the past, spending the research year away from Cleveland has been decided on a case-by-case basis. If you have a specific plan, it's something you could ask about at second look, or you can email Dean Franco if you're not able to make it. It is definitely possible to do international rotations as a fourth year med student (from either program). Several of us did that.

Also, and completely off topic, the high hold letter says that we should know by April 16th. Does that mean that the 16th is the only day we hear back or that we can hear back up to the 16th if people withdraw?
As each accepted person withdraws, another offer will be made. So if someone currently accepted withdraws today, someone else will be getting a call now. However, most people do not withdraw this early, and so you are not likely to hear back before April. You can also be accepted after the 16th if someone withdraws in May or June.

I find this whole high hold versus waitlist thing to be as confusing as the rest of you. Are they putting a few people on the waitlist now and then going to tell the rest of the people on hold their final waitlisted versus rejected status in April? vc7777, can you find out? The notification system sure seems complicated this year.

I interviewed at case yesterday and was thoroughly impressed. Cleveland is actually pretty cool. You get cheap tickets to the orchestra. I found this cool bar called Fairmount martini and wine bar. Coventry street is pretty happening. Everyone was so friendly. I can definitely see myself coming and thriving here. I love how the curriculum is set up with four months of research for the third year. I hope case loves me as much as I do it!

Coventry is great! There's a ton of good restaurants, and many bands come through the Grog Shop for cheap concerts. Cleveland really is a great city, and there's always stuff to do around campus and downtown :) Glad you enjoyed it!

Coventry is great! There's a ton of good restaurants, and many bands come through the Grog Shop for cheap concerts. Cleveland really is a great city, and there's always stuff to do around campus and downtown :) Glad you enjoyed it!
Another vote for liking Coventry. I liked Little Italy and Shaker Square a lot, too. If you don't mind driving farther away, there are some great ethnic restaurants out in Parma (Indian, Polish, etc.). :thumbup:

How long does it usually take for Case to notify us of their decision?

I find this whole high hold versus waitlist thing to be as confusing as the rest of you. Are they putting a few people on the waitlist now and then going to tell the rest of the people on hold their final waitlisted versus rejected status in April? vc7777, can you find out? The notification system sure seems complicated this year.

I am confused as well; the way the high hold letter is written, it seems as if the high hold people are next in line for the acceptance. So I guess it would be high hold gets first dib then waitlist? But what happens after the 16th supposing no or very little movement, would the high holder's be put onto the waitlist?

The high hold thing would make most sense if very few people are on it, but I guess we may never know.

Also, more unrelated:

In a sense - the program is through Case's graduate school (all of us Case students must apply to grad school). However, there are separate courses taught at the clinic for the program.

Since the CRSP program is taught at the Clinic and so far I have only seen CCLCM classmates in my classes, I assumed that it was something either UP students weren't interested in (or maybe they have their own thing). You can start taking the classes as non-degree right away, and switch after the application. It's a pretty convenient application, as they'll forward most of your materials from your medical school file.

Again I can only speak for the CP students, but I don't think anyone has ever been rejected from it yet.

I am confused as well; the way the high hold letter is written, it seems as if the high hold people are next in line for the acceptance. So I guess it would be high hold gets first dib then waitlist? But what happens after the 16th supposing no or very little movement, would the high holder's be put onto the waitlist?

The high hold thing would make most sense if very few people are on it, but I guess we may never know.

To add to the confusion .. last Friday (17th) I got notified I was on the high-hold list. This past Friday I got notified I was on the alternate list.

same. hold -> al in less than a week. it would seem that hold & high hold have priority, since they can still get accepted directly (theoretically). just speculating though

To add to the confusion .. last Friday (17th) I got notified I was on the high-hold list. This past Friday I got notified I was on the alternate list.
what kind of differences they said in two letters

Same...I went from High Hold to Alternate. What is going on?

what kind of differences they said in two letters

High Hold:
You have been placed on our “High Hold List”. This list consists of highly qualified applicants, some of whom will be admitted as the application process unfolds. We try to keep our applicants fully informed about the admissions process, and we will inform you immediately when your admission status changes.

Alternate:
We have completed the final selection of students for the class entering in July 2012. We are offering you a place on our alternate list in anticipation of persons currently on our class roster withdrawing between now and the date of matriculation. The number of such changes is quite unpredictable so that we have no way of determining your chances of acceptance.

High Hold:

Alternate:

I have the same phrasing. I am guessing this could be a mistake or otherwise the high hold list was only for one week? What did they see in that week that we all got bumped to alternative

Same for me, too, high hold last week, alternate this week. The links for both letters are still on my iapply page, though. Is that the same for everyone else, or did the first message disappear? I'm guessing the "High Hold" is technically on the alternate list as well?

same. hold -> al in less than a week. it would seem that hold & high hold have priority, since they can still get accepted directly (theoretically). just speculating though

So some of you have had multiple updates within the last two weeks! I'm still waiting for an update period.

Same for me, too, high hold last week, alternate this week. The links for both letters are still on my iapply page, though. Is that the same for everyone else, or did the first message disappear? I'm guessing the "High Hold" is technically on the alternate list as well?

I have both letters still. I hope VC can find out more info for us or something beacuse it seems if all the high hold went to the alternate list. The second letter is much less hopeful lol

I'm sure they're not moving you from high hold to general alternate. Maybe the alternate letter was a mass one sent out, and the high hold one was a specific letter indicating your spot on the alternate list.

I'm sure they're not moving you from high hold to general alternate. Maybe the alternate letter was a mass one sent out, and the high hold one was a specific letter indicating your spot on the alternate list.

Sounds reasonable

I am the voice of reason. :p
:scared:
I go on Spring Break for one lousy week - not even - a weekEND...
and you guys put phnerd in charge?! :p Gimme back the conch shell...I'll take it from here. Sheesh.

I'll be back at the Clinic tomorrow, and I will look into all of this for you guys. Ok?

:scared:
I go on Spring Break for one lousy week - not even - a weekEND...
and you guys put phnerd in charge?! :p Gimme back the conch shell...I'll take it from here. Sheesh.

I'll be back at the Clinic tomorrow, and I will look into all of this for you guys. Ok?

Are we going to have a Lord of the Flies-esque beatdown??? If so...phnerd I gotchu (Not that it would help much, but it is the thought that counts).

Thanks VC - the answer from admissions would clear a lot up :D

1. For the candidates with both High hold and the new alternate letter, are we still on the high hold?

2. Is there a good chance of getting off the high hold (The real question is how many people are on the high hold list but I am going to guess that is confidential to the max)?

3. Will Raltima07 get in *Very important*?

Status
Not open for further replies.