2011-2012 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like many people have not had a status update yet (including myself). Since acceptance calls were made on Friday, I'm guessing they did not have enough time on Friday to get all the updates into the computer. So maybe we will see an update on Monday after they all get entered?

Yes. Or Tuesday. This is extremely likely to be the case.

Members don't see this ad.

To summarize:

CCLCM has now accepted 32 applicants, from a pool of 200+ interviewees. From now on, until the start of school, there will be only 32 accepted. For anyone on either waitlist to be accepted will require someone else to withdraw. While this can happen at any point going forward, it is more likely to happen as the "Traffic Date" draws near. Even after the traffic date, when people are only allowed to hold a single acceptance, there will be movement. In fact, it is possible to be accepted right up until the beginning of orientation in July.

Finally, a few RANDOM (I stress this) applicants who are on the waitlists will be invited to second look. This is because we have made provisions for 32 people to come to Second Look. If some of the acceptees cannot make it to second look (which is not mandatory) - the adcom will invite others to attend. An invitation to attend Second Look while on the waitlists is NOT an indication of your likelihood to be accepted. Likewise, lack of invitations to Second Look means nothing. So, before people start getting upset about this, I'm letting you all know.

Like CCLCMer said in his post - now is the time to express interest in CLCCM. Emphasize your intention to remain on the waitlist, and professing your love of our school are key components. This doesn't mean calling the office or obsessively e-mailing them. The adcom has a list. They have your info. They know how to contact you. :luck:
Um, you might want to learn how to spell your school's name, girlfriend. :D

I've received some PMs - I will try to address the gist of them here...
Likewise. Here's what I told the person who PMed me:

CCLCMer (aka THE Man) said:
Like vc7777 said, it's not necessary to send multiple letters. If you send a LOI, it should be short and sweet and basically contain the message that CCLCM is your top choice school, and, if accepted, you agree to withdraw your application at all other schools to attend CCLCM. Again, don't send that letter unless you mean it. Good luck. :)
And like vc7777 also said, don't harass the admissions office. Even though you may be a neurotic pre-med on the inside, don't act like one. If you're on the waitlist, you do have a chance of getting accepted, because if you didn't, they would have rejected you instead of waitlisting you. Right?

Yes. Or Tuesday. This is extremely likely to be the case.
I agree, because tomorrow is a holiday.

Members don't see this ad :)
To summarize:

CCLCM has now accepted 32 applicants, from a pool of 200+ interviewees. From now on, until the start of school, there will be only 32 accepted. For anyone on either waitlist to be accepted will require someone else to withdraw. While this can happen at any point going forward, it is more likely to happen as the "Traffic Date" draws near. Even after the traffic date, when people are only allowed to hold a single acceptance, there will be movement. In fact, it is possible to be accepted right up until the beginning of orientation in July.

Finally, a few RANDOM (I stress this) applicants who are on the waitlists will be invited to second look. This is because we have made provisions for 32 people to come to Second Look. If some of the acceptees cannot make it to second look (which is not mandatory) - the adcom will invite others to attend. An invitation to attend Second Look while on the waitlists is NOT an indication of your likelihood to be accepted. Likewise, lack of invitations to Second Look means nothing. So, before people start getting upset about this, I'm letting you all know.

Thank you for clearing everything up. We appreciate it!

Do you think I'd be able to snag an invite? I want to be wined and dined too!

So seriously, those of you who get invites to second look should try to go. It's swanky, it's fun, and you will get a much better idea of what the school is like when you're more relaxed and not dressed in an interview suit trying to impress. This is a fun time of year for those of you with multiple acceptances, so enjoy it. :)

You da Man. My bad....

GAH! You win this game! I can't do this man/woman thing anymore! I can't bring myself to write the "tee-hee I'm just a girl who can't spell" reply.

You won. :bow:

Well played.
Quoted for posterity. Never challenge my superiority again, and I may let you live. :laugh:

So, how about some more info. When will the second look be? Will there be bowling? What else can the attendees expect? Yeah, I'm masochistic enough that I want to know exactly what kind of residency ignominy I'll be suffering while the rest of you are living high on the hog. :(

Accepted to CCLCM!!! OMG so happy!!! Does anyone remember when Dr. Franco said the Second Look would be? I was totally dazed when talking to her on the phone.

I think second look will be on 3/29-3/30, but I am not sure because I was too busy freaking out to fully comprehend what she was saying :p

Hey guys,

So I am wondering if the UP is still interviewing. I submitted my secondary to CW very late (actually, 11pm on the last possible day).

If interviews are still happening, would it make a difference to send in an update letter?

CW is one of a handful of schools that I still haven't heard from, and it's the one that I am most interested in. If it's still possible to get an interview that would be great.

Hey guys,

So I am wondering if the UP is still interviewing. I submitted my secondary to CW very late (actually, 11pm on the last possible day).

If interviews are still happening, would it make a difference to send in an update letter?

CW is one of a handful of schools that I still haven't heard from, and it's the one that I am most interested in. If it's still possible to get an interview that would be great.

This is the last week of interviews. :oops:

This is the last week of interviews. :oops:

Oh boy. :(

So I guess it's too late. Word on the street is that some schools invite random people to interview after the official interview season is over (i.e. Columbia).

Do you know if CW ever does this?

Oh boy. :(

So I guess it's too late. Word on the street is that some schools invite random people to interview after the official interview season is over (i.e. Columbia).

Do you know if CW ever does this?

Sadly, no. This is the absolute last week.

Does anyone know if Dr. Franco made all the calls already? I haven't heard anything and my iapply is still not updated.

Members don't see this ad :)
iApply should be updated within a day - it takes time to update every single account. The office is working to get things posted as fast as possible. I believe Dr. Franco was in touch or left messages Friday for all acceptees. Sorry! :oops:

So much for self-delusion! But thanks so much for keeping us updated! :)

Quick question.

Where is the cheapest/overall best place to live that is within walking distance of campus? Thanks! :cool:

Any idea how many people are on the high hold list for CCLCM or if they would tell us where we stand if we called?

So, no update on iapply. Anyone else in this situation?

Don't want to call the office if its a matter of them being busy.

I am in the same boat and so are three of my friends.

I heard at my case interview that iapply updates at 8pm. I am not sure if that is true or not.

I heard at my case interview that iapply updates at 8pm. I am not sure if that is true or not.

I think you're right. I remember getting a status change email at exactly 8pm their time back when I got the initial II.

Also still in limbo. Hate to say it, but it sounds like those of us who haven't heard are either low priority waitlisted or rejected. :eek:

Also still in limbo. Hate to say it, but it sounds like those of us who haven't heard are either low priority waitlisted or rejected. :eek:[/QUOTE]

Who knows? Hopefully its updated alphabetically or random :)
Either way I'm still surprised how long it has taken since most people got updates on Friday.

Who knows? Hopefully its updated alphabetically or random :)
Either way I'm still surprised how long it has taken since most people got updates on Friday.

Yeah, I hope so. It just seemed that everyone reporting status updates on Friday either had high priority waitlist or acceptance. I was starting to assume that they'd saved the less pleasant outcomes 'till later. Oh well, I'll keep hanging in there with ya. Seems like we have good company! :xf:

Which isn't great. If I'm low on the waitlist or rejected, I would like to know for certain so I can begin promising to attend my second choice school. Why not call? Anyone called? What's the worst that can happen - decision has already been made!

Is anyone having trouble accessing their Case Network ID? They gave me something that doesn't match my name and the site asks me if I am an entirely different person when I try to access it. I called, and they said that I was given the wrong Network ID, PIN and Student ID, and that they would be sorting everything out shortly. I was just wondering if anyone else was in the same boat?

Which isn't great. If I'm low on the waitlist or rejected, I would like to know for certain so I can begin promising to attend my second choice school. Why not call? Anyone called? What's the worst that can happen - decision has already been made!

...so why didn't you call?

Hey I interviewed in late October for the University Program and got put on hold; do the current case western med students have any idea when people who are put on hold might start hearing back?

Hey I interviewed in late October for the University Program and got put on hold; do the current case western med students have any idea when people who are put on hold might start hearing back?

March-ish.

Mine has not changed yet...interviewed only CP...What's going on?

Final decision is up now. Rejected. I kinda expected that.

+3

38R, 3.6 GPA, graduated 2 years early and working in a clinic for last 2 years... 18 schools, 4 interviews, 1 acceptance! Of course, I've heard of people with better stats and stories not getting anything for years...

+3

38R, 3.6 GPA, graduated 2 years early and working in a clinic for last 2 years... 18 schools, 4 interviews, 1 acceptance! Of course, I've heard of people with better stats and stories not getting anything for years...

Ouch. That made me feel better knowing I'm in good company. I hope you find better luck elsewhere...sounds like you deserve it.

Thinking more about it, I'm sure they must have decided I wasn't a good fit specifically for their program...and they were probably right. I like research, but I'm not sure if I want to keep doing it for the rest of my career. I'm sure they read into that. I wonder if you came up against the same thing. Sounds like you have some awesome clinical experience. Maybe they were worried you were leaning much more on the clinical side of things? Ah well. C'est la vie.

Last edited:
Rejected. I guess it was kind of expected.

I had a bad feelings about one my interviews anyway. And when Dean Franco was talking to us/getting to know us, she asked each interviewee a question specific to their application. She didn't ask me anything and semi cut me off to move on to the next person. Should've known I guess.

+3

Ouch. That made me feel better knowing I'm in good company. I hope you find better luck elsewhere...sounds like you deserve it.

Thinking more about it, I'm sure they must have decided I wasn't a good fit specifically for their program...and they were probably right. I like research, but I'm not sure if I want to keep doing it for the rest of my career. I'm sure they read into that. I wonder if you came up against the same thing. Sounds like you have some awesome clinical experience. Maybe they were worried you were leaning much more on the clinical side of things? Ah well. C'est la vie.

Still awaiting a decision here......doesn't look go though :(. I feel your frustration. I'm thinking I feel into this same group. (Seeing as I my personal statement revolved around my clinical experiences)

Same here...getting antsy....I thought we would have heard by now.

Some people have asked me privately when the Traffic Date is.

Here is a quote straight from AAMC:
AAMC Traffic Rules for Applicants said:
9. By May 15 of the matriculation year (April 15 for schools whose first day of class is on or before July 30), April 30 for M.D.-Ph.D. programs, each applicant who has received an offer of acceptance from more than one school or program choose the specific school or program at which the applicant prefers to enroll and withdraw his or her application, by written correspondence delivered by regular or electronic methods, from all other schools or programs from which acceptance offers have been received.

Now, while they CAN set it at April 15th, I am not sure that they will enforce the earlier decision or not. If someone knows first hand the date this year, go ahead and post it.

Some people have asked me privately when the Traffic Date is.

Here is a quote straight from AAMC:

Now, while they CAN set it at April 15th, I am not sure that they will enforce the earlier decision or not. If someone knows first hand the date this year, go ahead and post it.

Accepted students must make a decision before April 16th.

Do you think our status will be updated today for cclcm or is it still going to take a few days??

Status
Not open for further replies.