2011-2012 East Carolina (Brody) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm waiting (im)patiently for an interview invite...had a pretty good interview with UNC...looking for some love from BSOM though...hmmm....

Members don't see this ad.

Who's really hoping for that acceptance letter to arrive on Wednesday/ Thursday?!?!

I AM!

Anybody called in and ask about their status?

Members don't see this ad :)
Brody updates on the 15th and the last day of every month. Here is the most recent update:

As of September 30, 2011, we have .....

Received 560 AMCAS applications
Received 314 Supplementary applications
Interviewed 97 applicants
Made 4 offers (My guess is these are Early Decision people)
(Generally it takes 100-125 offers to fill a class)

If you call them, all they will tell you is that no news is good news. This was their policy last year, and they told me it would not change for this year's cycle.

Brody updates on the 15th and the last day of every month. Here is the most recent update:

As of September 30, 2011, we have .....

Received 560 AMCAS applications
Received 314 Supplementary applications
Interviewed 97 applicants
Made 4 offers (My guess is these are Early Decision people)

If you call them, all they will tell you is that no news is good news. This was their policy last year, and they told me it would not change for this year's cycle.
no updates on that page, so I guess they haven't sent any out yet..

As of October 15, 2011, we have .....

Received 653 AMCAS applications
Received 399 Supplementary applications
Interviewed 143 applicants
Made 4 offers

I would assume they'll start making decisions this next meeting. right?

last year's forum indicates that there were a couple of acceptances at the end of the month.

I will also be hoping for some instate love. Can anyone tell me how the interview went? What did you think about ECU and the area?

Accepted!! :soexcited: I've been waiting for this day for two years!!

Reapplicant- Interviewed end of September. PM me for stats if you'd like.

snail mail? I Interviewed around the same time and have received nothing :(.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will also be hoping for some instate love. Can anyone tell me how the interview went? What did you think about ECU and the area?

My interview was pretty conversational. No hard questions. I loved the area as it is very spread out. I dont like congested areas so its perfect for me!

Good cop/bad cop it seemed. its a closed file interview, and one just asked me to basically go over my AMCAS application. "what was your MCAT, do you have any volunteering" etc. The other was very conversational and welcoming.

I just saw that you've been accepted to Brody :thumbup:
Congratulations!! I'm very happy for you.

I just saw that you've been accepted to Brody :thumbup:
Congratulations!! I'm very happy for you.

Thanks Nessy! Vickpick, everything from ECU is snail mail except interview invites which are e-mailed.

Thanks Nessy! Vickpick, everything from ECU is snail mail except interview invites which are e-mailed.

Thanks for the info.

I see they updated their website saying they offered 18 spots thus far. That means, they accepted 14 people that are not EDP. I got nothing in mail today either. Sad day.

cricket.gif

Supplemental complete on Oct 4.
Invite on Oct 5th.
Interviewed Mid October
Reapplicant.

Supplemental complete on Oct 4.
Invite on Oct 5th.
Interviewed Mid October
Reapplicant.

Wow! Thats awesome! What a fast turn around, especially for ECU. It must have been a well deserved acceptance.
Congratulations again!

As of November 15, 2011, we have .....

Received 789 AMCAS applications
Received 615 Supplementary applications
Interviewed 250 applicants
Made 19 offers

Looks like they've only made one offer since the last update... Maybe this was the one tenover received.

Do you know if ECU sends you another complete email/notification after the secondary complete email? Or is the secondary complete email essentially a "complete" notification?

Do you know if ECU sends you another complete email/notification after the secondary complete email? Or is the secondary complete email essentially a "complete" notification?

The "Supplemental Application Complete" is the complete notification. I believe any other correspondence after that is for interview invites or rejection.

It seems like it has been a while since anyone on SDN has heard anything from Brody. hmmmmm... anybody have friends out there that have heard back recently or do you think things are slow in Greenville right now?

It seems like it has been a while since anyone on SDN has heard anything from Brody. hmmmmm... anybody have friends out there that have heard back recently or do you think things are slow in Greenville right now?

I know that the week before Thanksgiving, their computer systems were being upgraded, so there could be some issue with that. It's also unlikely that the committee met last week (or even if they had interviews). I would think that anyone who interviewed the week of Oct. 17 or Oct. 24 (including me - 10/25) are just now getting their paperwork back from the interviewers, so there could be news in the next few weeks.

Dr. Peden says that most likely, they will only have 39 acceptances (half the class) by the end of the year, so that's only 20 more people. Of course, not all those acceptances will matriculate, but ECU doesn't over-accept. The maximum number of acceptances that are ever out is equal to the size of the matriculated class (78 currently).

As of December 1, 2011, we have .....
  • Received 849 AMCAS applications
  • Received 709 Supplementary applications
  • Interviewed 289 applicants
  • Made 30 offers
  • (Generally it takes 100-125 offers to fill a class)

Anyone on here get one of the 11 new offers?

Words cannot describe how blessed I am feeling right now - got the letter today!!! First time applicant, ECU is by far my top choice. Hang in there everyone! PM for more information if you are curious.

Words cannot describe how blessed I am feeling right now - got the letter today!!! First time applicant, ECU is by far my top choice. Hang in there everyone! PM for more information if you are curious.

Congratulations!! This should make for a pretty nice weekend!

I got a letter today from ECU! ...saying that I was rejected. Not such a big surprise, lackluster interviews and not a great fit. Still, I thought I'd be riding their waitlist until a rejection next year. At least I know!

Interviewed 10/3, in case anyone was wondering. Maybe I should have had shown more interest in primary care :laugh:

I did receive an acceptance letter 2 weeks ago.

After 3 tries I've finally been accepted to Brody :)

If anyone finds themselves discouraged, please keep trying, it will come. For a perfect opportunity to prove yourself, apply for the summer program for future doctors at Brody or Chapel Hill. If you do well you'll have a great chance even if the rest of the app isnt amazing. I fully credit it for my acceptance :D

After 3 tries I've finally been accepted to Brody :)

If anyone finds themselves discouraged, please keep trying, it will come. For a perfect opportunity to prove yourself, apply for the summer program for future doctors at Brody or Chapel Hill. If you do well you'll have a great chance even if the rest of the app isnt amazing. I fully credit it for my acceptance :D

Congratulations runner! Time number three seems to be the magic number for alot of folks! Two of the M.D.'s I shadowed and one of my tour guides at ECU we're accepted to Brody on their third try. You must be meant for this :) Congratulations again!

From those who have interviewed: My interview is in January. What should I expect?
7VR 11BS 13PS-- 31M/3.5gpa, bio/chem major UNCW w/ research, work experience (pharmaceuticals), lots of shadowing, bio lab teaching, science tutoring, emergency department volunteering. what do you think my chances are if the interview goes well? Does it matter which undergraduate institution i attended?

Last edited:
How should I prepare for the interview? Do I need to know the ins and outs of health care? Are there ethical scenarios, etc. What were yall's hardest questions? What do you think you did well on and where do you think you should have done better?

Just be honest, confident, and know why you are a good fit for the school. Good luck!!

I agree with Dr. Right. Also, as much as I didn't want to hear this while I was waiting for my acceptance letter, it isn't going to do you a bit of good to overanalyze your stats/compare yourselves to others on this forum. In the end, you may wait for months and months (seeming like years) to hear back. I am a first year at Brody now and would say that you would best spend your time enjoying the free time you have while not in medical school. You will miss it when you're in, whether it's this year or next really doesn't matter in the end. Once you start school, you will literally be busy for the rest of your career...so enjoy yourself, relax while you can, prepare early in case you have to reapply, and know that if it's meant to work out, it will! It takes most people more than one try. Honestly a year off is probably a good thing!

Also, good luck to everyone! Brody is a great place to be. :)

As of December 15, 2011, we have .....

Received 875 AMCAS applications
Received 731 Supplementary applications
Interviewed 337 applicants
Made 44 offers

Did anyone on here get one of those offers? My secret hope is that they just haven't sent all of the letters out because I interviewed pretty early in the cycle (Sept-Oct) and am still waiting on a decision. :xf:

Did anyone on here get one of those offers? My secret hope is that they just haven't sent all of the letters out because I interviewed pretty early in the cycle (Sept-Oct) and am still waiting on a decision. :xf:

Still no word for me either... interviewed around the same time. Best of luck to everyone waiting! :xf:

Accepted via snail mail today! I interviewed 10/31.

Last edited:
For those who interviewed, did you send thank you notes to your interviewers? If so, to who? In what form? How long, how short?

It is standard to send a hand-written thank you note. Just a few sentences, and be sure to include something memorable from your conversation they will remember you by.

Just a heads-up. Received an interview offer today.

in state applicant, complete since mid october.

Status
Not open for further replies.