2011-2012 Florida International University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone else not hear anything? Are they sending emails individually? Around what time did you guys get your notifications?

I called and asked about not receiving an update on my application since I interviewed in August and my admissions committee review was complete in early October. The representative said the reason I may not have heard anything about the alternate list is because I may be very close to the top of the list. Not sure if she was trying to make me feel better, but hopefully it helps you guys a little bit :). :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate the super quick responses beargunkarate, dblue10, and StevenNguyen.

DrShazam, I can only hope that is the case. Thanks for sharing that information with me/us.

This solely based on my on speculations, but I think they might have ran out of spots by the time we interviewed (around Nov 18ish)... this is cause they start interviewing so early in the cycle.

So I think the majority of us were put onto the alternate list (which they expect to have a ton of movement anyway) while only a select few that they felt were absolutely outstanding received an acceptance.

Btw I received my email for alternate around 11:35 AM.

Alternate list today. I know two people with my same stats that got in last week. Perhaps I had Quiznos lettuce in my teeth...

This solely based on my on speculations, but I think they might have ran out of spots by the time we interviewed (around Nov 18ish)... this is cause they start interviewing so early in the cycle.

So I think the majority of us were put onto the alternate list (which they expect to have a ton of movement anyway) while only a select few that they felt were absolutely outstanding received an acceptance.

Btw I received my email for alternate around 11:35 AM.

It also depends upon when you were reviewed. I interviewed almost a month before you guys, but was reviewed the same week.

Dr. Roller (Assistant Dean of Student Affairs) responded to my email and clarified that there is only one Alternate List. Everyone on the Alternate List was scored above a certain "accepted" threshold (those that were scored below it were sent notifications that they were not accepted to the program) but not in the top whatever-number-they-choose to admit/guarantee a seat at the Admissions Committee meeting. She said that the Admissions Committee is making decisions/sending out acceptance letters every 2-3 weeks and indicated that it's possible for people to be moved from Alternate List to Accepted at any one of those meetings.

Also, some relatively good news, she stated that in the past 3 cycles, at least 1/3 of each class came from the Alternate List.

I should add, too, that her response was very prompt, informative, and written in an encouraging tone. Good vibes and good luck to all!

I was placed on the alternate list today, and withdrew my application from further consideration. :luck:

I got put on the Alternate list as well. I recieved the email at 1:07pm

Members don't see this ad :)
Does FIU accept more students than they have seats like most medical schools or do they only put out as many offers as they have seats at any one given time? I can't remember from my interview day. If it's the latter, it may be more encouraging news for all those placed on the alternate list yesterday/today. Good luck everyone! :luck::)

To my understanding schools that are in the process of accreditation only offer the number of seats they have

3.809 GPA (above 3.8 BCMP GPA), 32O MCAT, in state, lots of extracurricular, Alternate List at FIU

Just got this status (pre-interview): Withdrawn Before Accepted (Review Completed – Applicant Not Selected for Interview) -- anyone else? I guess this means they are done with giving interviews.

I like how they say "withdrawn" like I was the one who did the withdrawing -- BS! I've been complete since July but I'm OOS.

Just making sure. U guys actually got that exact wording "withdrawn" right? And also did the time say 1/31 9 am?

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

9:28 am, 1/31/12: Withdrawn.

sucks

Accepted off of the alternate list today (put on alternate list about 2 weeks ago). I liked the school a lot and couldn't be happier :D. GL to everyone :luck:.

congrats Vandy! I've read your previous posts and have followed your journey hehe. Glad it worked out well.

So dblue10 (and others on the Alternate list) -- I read your post saying you think it's the "accepted alternate list" from last year's thread. Did your actual email (in the body or the subject) actually say you were "accepted" into the alternate list? That's the impression I got from reading last year's thread.

also, what is the class size supposed to be this year? someone said 120 but i thought it was supposed to be like 160-185.

I was placed on the alternate list today, and withdrew my application from further consideration. :luck:

Sorry to see this, I was rooting for you :) Glad to see that you have 3 acceptances elsewhere though!

congrats Vandy! I've read your previous posts and have followed your journey hehe. Glad it worked out well.

So dblue10 (and others on the Alternate list) -- I read your post saying you think it's the "accepted alternate list" from last year's thread. Did your actual email (in the body or the subject) actually say you were "accepted" into the alternate list? That's the impression I got from reading last year's thread.

also, what is the class size supposed to be this year? someone said 120 but i thought it was supposed to be like 160-185.

Congrats! I've been following your journey too. Is this your first acceptance? You definitely deserve it ...you've been patient long enough! Did you hear back just now?

I'm humbled that you two have "followed me" :laugh:. Thank you! Yeah, I received the e-mail around noon. It is my first acceptance, and my only interview so far.

The alternate list e-mail said "You have been placed on the "Alternate List" for the Class of 2016 starting in August 2012". So, there was no "accepted" in the e-mail, but it is referred to as the "Accepted-Alternate list" by some. Best of luck guys!

I'm humbled that you two have "followed me" :laugh:. Thank you! Yeah, I received the e-mail around noon. It is my first acceptance, and my only interview so far.

The alternate list e-mail said "You have been placed on the “Alternate List” for the Class of 2016 starting in August 2012". So, there was no "accepted" in the e-mail, but it is referred to as the "Accepted-Alternate list" by some. Best of luck guys!

Awesome. All it takes is one! It's pretty easy to follow us Floridians though...we all haunt the same threads, haha. I've had a hard time getting attention from most FL schools though. It's pretty annoying, sigh.

And thanks for the well wishes!

Accepted off of the alternate list today (put on alternate list about 2 weeks ago). I liked the school a lot and couldn't be happier :D. GL to everyone :luck:.
Congratulations!!!! omg I've sort of been keeping tabs on your journey too i'm so excited for you!! I hope to get good news from FIU soon :)

Has anyone been rejected post interview? Or did everyone that was interviewed and not accepted get placed on the alternate list?

Congrats from a fellow Floridian applicant! Maybe we'll be classmates if things stand the way that they are right now... Yes, it's very true that all of us Floridians seem to know who the others are so I've kind of gotten to know how each of us is doing.

Congratulations!!!! omg I've sort of been keeping tabs on your journey too i'm so excited for you!! I hope to get good news from FIU soon :)

Good luck! I know we interviewed together, so I'm definitely rooting for you (not that I don't root for others).

Congrats from a fellow Floridian applicant! Maybe we'll be classmates if things stand the way that they are right now... Yes, it's very true that all of us Floridians seem to know who the others are so I've kind of gotten to know how each of us is doing.

Thank you! Yeah, I assume it's like that with most state schools. I remember who is a FL resident. Perhaps we'll meet at the second look, although I haven't decided if I'll make the trek down from Nashville yet.

Perhaps we'll meet at the second look, although I haven't decided if I'll make the trek down from Nashville yet.

Congrats! Another FL resident here, though I've been pretty quiet lately...

Have they said anything about Second Look yet? Any idea when the dates are? I am trying to plan ahead and from what I've heard second look is definitely the best way to see where you fit best! It's the first time you really get to relax, be yourself, and see how you click with your future classmates!

Really curious as to the dates of second look as well! There is one weekend in April that would be really horrible for me so I'm really crossing my fingers its not that one. From stalking last years threads it looks like it was April 1-2 last year....I think they may have two tho, one for accepted and one for alternative list but I'm fairly certain that date was for accepted!
Hopefully I will meet you all there!

**EDIT according to a student I've talked to in the past five minutes (lol) it looks like its going to be April 13-14th! Arg exactly the horrible weekend :(

Last edited:
I think that's the same weekend as UCF's. Some people won't be happy with that, ha.

Yea... you would think the schools coordinate their dates, since many of the same FL residents will be deciding between schools. I'd say if they haven't announced it yet, we shouldn't assume. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't make it the same weekend as UCF... that would be poor planning.

Not arguing but I'm pretty sure the FL schools dont really coordinate...from what I've heard last year with the exception of FIU and FAU all the other FL schools were the same weekend....

Not arguing but I'm pretty sure the FL schools dont really coordinate...from what I've heard last year with the exception of FIU and FAU all the other FL schools were the same weekend....

I would argue that sounds like cooperative coordination - in favor of discriminating between which applicants favor which program. Better on the program side all around, if the applicants are prevented from hedging their bets.

Anybody know what the chances are for getting an official acceptance from the alternate list......Do they plan this list intending to offer most people on it a seat?

Anybody know what the chances are for getting an official acceptance from the alternate list......Do they plan this list intending to offer most people on it a seat?

They wouldn't give me #'s when I asked for it. Like the number of ppl applied vs still not rejected, #'s interviewed, #'s waitlisted, #'s given acceptance invitations (should be 160 total spots right?)

The only known # is the 160 they plan on having this year, to my knowledge.

Anyone know what their policy on LOIs from applicants who are placed on the alternate list is?

Is it recommended to submit one? Will they accept it and/or look favorably upon it?

If so, who should it be addressed/sent to?

Thanks

I interviewed december 9th. Does anyone know when we will get decisions for this interview date?>

Anyone know what their policy on LOIs from applicants who are placed on the alternate list is?

Is it recommended to submit one? Will they accept it and/or look favorably upon it?

If so, who should it be addressed/sent to?

Thanks

Updates are made on the application page. You get three total. GL :luck:

Updates are made on the application page. You get three total. GL :luck:
If you post one update and then delete the information to post a new one, is there previous update wiped clean from your record?

I don't think there is enough room in the box for me to put both updates simultaneously.

If you post one update and then delete the information to post a new one, is there previous update wiped clean from your record?

I don't think there is enough room in the box for me to put both updates simultaneously.

I sure hope so. I edited mine twice after submitting, and so three *nearly* identical updates would have made me look quite silly. I'm almost certain that it is just re-saving the update. I don't know what to tell you if you can't fit all of the information except to cut it down as best you can.

I sure hope so. I edited mine twice after submitting, and so three *nearly* identical updates would have made me look quite silly. I'm almost certain that it is just re-saving the update. I don't know what to tell you if you can't fit all of the information except to cut it down as best you can.
I saw that you got accepted off the alternate list, congratulations on that btw!
Did you do anything after being placed on the list to get an acceptance so quickly within 2 weeks?
I was placed on it Jan 19th and I'm OOS so it might be slightly different.

Status
Not open for further replies.