2011-2012 Georgetown Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats to those of you that got invites today!!

Members don't see this ad.

Interview invite came today, interview on October 3rd. I'm so excited!

Here are my stats, for those who are interested:

GPA (cumulative): 3.68
GPA (science): 3.56
MCAT: 11 PS 12 VR 11 BS S Writing -- 34S

Good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite! Any idea on what the student body is like here? I'm worried because I've heard that it tends to be slightly conservative here, and I'm wondering if I'll be out of place seeing as how I'm a super liberal lesbian from MA. I know that in terms of administration they don't care because I definitely talked about my sexual orientation in my secondary and still got an invite. Any thoughts?

They aren't going to burn you at the stake, if that's what you are asking.

They aren't going to burn you at the stake, if that's what you are asking.

Hmm nope, not really what I was going for. More so wondering if I would be overwhelmed by people around me who have a lack of tolerance or disdain for people of a different sexual orientation because of their religion.

Hmm nope, not really what I was going for. More so wondering if I would be overwhelmed by people around me who have a lack of tolerance or disdain for people of a different sexual orientation because of their religion.

It is not like you are going to church or anything. Good money is on the student population being just as diverse in sexual orientation as every other medical school. Just like with everything else it depends on how you carry your SO as to how people will receive you. If you broad cast vocally about how and with whom you prefer to have sex with at the start of every conversation expect people to be put off. GTU is loaded with all walks of different people, not just catholics. Also keep in mind most catholics are very tolerant of other SO, compared to other christian faiths. Now I am not implying covering up who you are but if you act with respect and wisdom people will welcome you with open arms as most are not overly judgemental jerks that can read your mind. Don't worry about others being disdainful. Good luck at your interview and enjoy your time there.

It is not like you are going to church or anything. Good money is on the student population being just as diverse in sexual orientation as every other medical school. Just like with everything else it depends on how you carry your SO as to how people will receive you. If you broad cast vocally about how and with whom you prefer to have sex with at the start of every conversation expect people to be put off. GTU is loaded with all walks of different people, not just catholics. Also keep in mind most catholics are very tolerant of other SO, compared to other christian faiths. Now I am not implying covering up who you are but if you act with respect and wisdom people will welcome you with open arms as most are not overly judgemental jerks that can read your mind. Don't worry about others being disdainful. Good luck at your interview and enjoy your time there.

Thank you for your response, very helpful in clarifying my thoughts. I totally get what you're saying in terms of the population being as diverse as other med schools. I was more so coming from a place in which as a lesbian who is married, it gets really awkward to explain to people that I'm married to a woman (especially as I'm very feminine/so is my wife). Living in MA, I don't really interact with many people who are surprised or intolerant of it. I was really just curious if this would be the same in DC and specifically at Georgetown, because I've never been to DC or attended a school with religious affiliations. I do think it's relevant to know if I will be in community for four years in which I feel uncomfortable for being myself. In addition, I have numerous friends who went to Boston College for undergrad (also Jesuit) who personally regretted it because the campus culture wasn't really supportive of the GLBT community.

ANYWAYS. I'm done hijacking the thread with questions that are probably only relevant to <1% of the people applying :)

Interview invite! Any idea on what the student body is like here? I'm worried because I've heard that it tends to be slightly conservative here, and I'm wondering if I'll be out of place seeing as how I'm a super liberal lesbian from MA. I know that in terms of administration they don't care because I definitely talked about my sexual orientation in my secondary and still got an invite. Any thoughts?

I went to GT for undergrad and had a lot of GLBTQ friends, and none of them ever complained of discrimination. Georgetown is pretty liberal as Catholic schools go. There's GLBTQ student groups and a resources center. As for DC, the Dupont Circle neighborhood has fantastic gay clubs. :D I'm straight but they were way fun. Overall it's a pretty good city for GLBTQ. The city council recently voted to legalize same sex marriage in DC proper.

Anybody complete with GT on or after July 27 and received an interview invite??

Congrats to those of you with interview invites! I know invites get emailed out, but when you guys log in to your Georgetown secondary account now, is it updated to reflect your interview invite? If so, is it on the main screen where you log in or where does it show you got the invite?

Congrats to those of you with interview invites! I know invites get emailed out, but when you guys log in to your Georgetown secondary account now, is it updated to reflect your interview invite? If so, is it on the main screen where you log in or where does it show you got the invite?

No changes are seen after getting an invite, e-mail is your only way of notification.

Invite! Haven't decided what day yet. Have one at GWU on 10/14 so hopefully 10/13 will open/

Members don't see this ad :)
Invite! Excited to get to D.C. Congrats on interviews guys.

2 words: Dupont Circle

Thank you for your response, very helpful in clarifying my thoughts. I totally get what you're saying in terms of the population being as diverse as other med schools. I was more so coming from a place in which as a lesbian who is married, it gets really awkward to explain to people that I'm married to a woman (especially as I'm very feminine/so is my wife). Living in MA, I don't really interact with many people who are surprised or intolerant of it. I was really just curious if this would be the same in DC and specifically at Georgetown, because I've never been to DC or attended a school with religious affiliations. I do think it's relevant to know if I will be in community for four years in which I feel uncomfortable for being myself. In addition, I have numerous friends who went to Boston College for undergrad (also Jesuit) who personally regretted it because the campus culture wasn't really supportive of the GLBT community.

ANYWAYS. I'm done hijacking the thread with questions that are probably only relevant to <1% of the people applying :)

Less than 1%? There's gotta be more of us in medicine!

I've got the same reservations about Georgetown. I did reference, very briefly, being gay in the diversity statement (duh!). I feel like an admissions committee that asks for a diversity statement is probably a safe reveal, but the overall school culture might be something totally different--especially when religious conservatism affects med school policy (e.g. no teaching abortion, no prescribing of contraceptives for contraceptive purposes). I would be extra sensitive to the climate when you visit for your interview. Have questions ready. If you feel comfortable, you can gauge students' responses when you casually drop the G-bomb. Anyhow, good luck!

These gay posts are so funny because hands-down the MOST flamboyant person I have ever met (like worse than Jack on Will & Grace) is a med student at Georgetown. And he loves it. Though you have to know that medicine is a more conservative profession than others. You will meet some people that are intolerant, as anywhere. I wouldn't worry about this at Georgetown though more than any other school.

Less than 1%? There's gotta be more of us in medicine!

I've got the same reservations about Georgetown. I did reference, very briefly, being gay in the diversity statement (duh!). I feel like an admissions committee that asks for a diversity statement is probably a safe reveal, but the overall school culture might be something totally different--especially when religious conservatism affects med school policy (e.g. no teaching abortion, no prescribing of contraceptives for contraceptive purposes). I would be extra sensitive to the climate when you visit for your interview. Have questions ready. If you feel comfortable, you can gauge students' responses when you casually drop the G-bomb. Anyhow, good luck!

Hey all. I've been living in DC for three years now. I can't really speak for the actual Georgetown campus, but DC is VERY gay friendly. I actually spent a while trying to convince my sister (an out lesbian living in the middle of nowhere in Idaho where there is NO glbt community) to move here because the gay community is so great. I've received an interview invite from GW, but not Georgetown yet. Still crossing my fingers!

Anyways, if you any other questions about DC or the gay community here, please feel free to ask me.

No offense, but gay marriage wasn't legalized in Maryland because certain catholic churches did not want to be forced to preform gay marriages. The catholics by far are not the most understanding. I grew up catholic and can tell you the day I stopped attending church and why (priest openly disparaged gay rights during the sermon).

No offense, but gay marriage wasn't legalized in Maryland because certain catholic churches did not want to be forced to preform gay marriages. The catholics by far are not the most understanding. I grew up catholic and can tell you the day I stopped attending church and why (priest openly disparaged gay rights during the sermon).

I think that really depends on your priest/parish. As a Catholic convert and a HUGE supporter of the GLBTQ community, it is true that I have found some intolerance. But I've also found A LOT of acceptance. I think it has as much to do with the community (think Bible Belt) as it has to do with the church. I've been to Catholic churches in Seattle with rainbow flags hanging from the rafters, and my friendly neighborhood priest privately supports contraception to anyone who asks him about it (i.e., if you are married but don't want/can't support kids just yet, go for it!). So, I guess what I'm saying is that the Church is as diverse (if not in the company line, then in reality) as any community. So even if Georgetown was chock full of nothing but Catholics, you'd still find a good hunk of support!

The only thing more disappointing than the fact that I haven't received an interview invite is that this thread is about being gay.

Georgetown, despite what I hear in this thread, is really not all that Catholic for a Catholic university. Actually, when the pope visited DC a couple of years ago, he deliberately passed over Georgetown (a very well-known university) and visited Catholic University, which is MUCH more conservative and far more in line with the Vatican's philosophy. The only thing that really bothered me was that you couldn't get contraceptives at the pharmacy on campus. You had to walk the six whole blocks--gasp!--to the nearest CVS. But I'd like to reiterate that the school has quite a large openly gay population and the university has made a concerted effort to improve resources for the GLBTQ community on campus. I had the opportunity to meet a lot of the Jesuits on campus, because many are professors (both for UG and for the med school) and there are several Jesuit physicians at Georgetown University Hospital. They are an incredible group of men and one of the reasons that I'd love to go back to GT for med school.

Please feel free to PM me with any more questions about this topic, or about Catholicism at Georgetown overall--I was a tour guide for the undergrad campus and they drilled us on this stuff. :D

The only thing more disappointing than the fact that I haven't received an interview invite is that this thread is about being gay.

It's a very important and personal issue to certain candidates when selecting schools, for obvious reasons. If a discussion of their concerns is somehow more disappointing than you not yet receiving an interview invite, you should probably re-think your embracement of diversity: something I'm sure you've touted you're big on in many of your secondaries.

It's a very important and personal issue to certain candidates when selecting schools, for obvious reasons. If a discussion of their concerns is somehow more disappointing than you not yet receiving an interview invite, you should probably re-think your embracement of diversity: something I'm sure you've touted you're big on in many of your secondaries.

Thanks. You beat me to it.

...and yet still about Georgetown. Either way, people have concerns they feel are relevant. These sorts of comments are partly why people are concerned about this issue. I don't have much to add otherwise; Topo said it all.

Last edited:
Leo can't help that he's a flaming heterosexual. It's in his genes.

No one's telling you you can't start the official georgetown 2011-2012 application thread: straight edition

No one's telling you you can't start the official georgetown 2011-2012 application thread: straight edition

Like when I call Bank of America and have to press '1' for English?

I have three African American friends. I just wrote about that.

5.8 earthquake just hit DC... im flying there friday for interview on monday... :eek:

NYC and NJ felt something, too! My desk was shaking. I pooped my pants.

It's fine. I'm in NoVA and nothing major happened here apart from noise and shaking. It's the biggest we've felt here in my lifetime of living here though.

Same. I've never felt one. I thought it was a tornado or something, or someone jumping up and down on the roof, then books began falling.

NC felt it too.

LOLOL I'm from California and I'm not gonna lie, but all the posts about the earthquake made me chuckle a little bit

I have three African American friends. I just wrote about that.

I bet you have pictures with each one of them under a folder on your computer called my black friends.

LOLOL I'm from California and I'm not gonna lie, but all the posts about the earthquake made me chuckle a little bit

This is Virginia - we NEVER ever get earthquakes. Like, the last I remember was a 3.nothing that I didn't even feel.

We don't live on a fault like you guys. :laugh:

I bet you have pictures with each one of them under a folder on your computer called my black friends.

Complete with names so that he can tell them apart.

This is Virginia - we NEVER ever get earthquakes. Like, the last I remember was a 3.nothing that I didn't even feel.

We don't live on a fault like you guys. :laugh:
Although apparently when we get 5.8 earthquakes they get felt in a quarter of the country.

Although apparently when we get 5.8 earthquakes they get felt in a quarter of the country.

I read a report that stated it was because of our type of crust right here. You can feel it from farther distances.

the earthquake was crazy. i work at NIH and we had one patient in the MRI at the time, and another getting a lumbar puncture...

the earthquake was crazy. i work at NIH and we had one patient in the MRI at the time, and another getting a lumbar puncture...
Did you guys have to shut down the MRI with the big red button?

Now leo can be disappointed by another thing this thread has turned into. Gays and earth quakes, o my.

The only thing more disappointing than the fact that I haven't received an interview invite is that this thread is about an earthquake.

EDIT: You beat me to it, ppfizenm!!!

Earthquakes are much more interesting.

The earth quake parties the gays will be having at the clubs this weekend to celebrate will probably be the most interesting of all.

Status
Not open for further replies.