2011-2012 Georgetown Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Love this school. Would like some love too :D

tell me why you love the school! i looked at all my schools websites to decide if i liked them or not and georgetown's didn't do it for me. still debating on whether to add it or not given the huge applicant pool (and my stats are just about equal to their averages).

Still don't quite understand how this school receives so many applications compared to other schools with similar missions/stats.

Still don't quite understand how this school receives so many applications compared to other schools with similar missions/stats.

Agreed. Maybe its the big name combined with lower stats compared to other top tier undergrad schools?

maybe. a good school, obvi. i'll probably end up applying, though i worry it's a little on the conservative side...

tell me why you love the school! i looked at all my schools websites to decide if i liked them or not and georgetown's didn't do it for me. still debating on whether to add it or not given the huge applicant pool (and my stats are just about equal to their averages).

Early intro to patients, their Jesuit/Catholic philosophies (I'm a Catholic myself), interesting curriculum, DC, and, yes, the name. Georgetown is just an awesome place. My stats are just slightly below their averages, but I know ppl that go there with my stats, so I think it's possible. :D. If you're on the fence about it, I'd say apply.

Yes, Georgetown is an amazing school. I'm a current medical student here and can answer any of your specific questions about the school. I am definitely glad I chose Georgetown. I encourage all of you to apply here. I am sure you will love it! It is a bit expensive compared to other schools, so that's a big downside. However, the faculty here are very impressive and supportive.

Did my undergrad here but post-bac elsewhere, so I'm hoping I still get some love! It would be amazing to go back to Georgetown for med school.

Yes, Georgetown is an amazing school. I'm a current medical student here and can answer any of your specific questions about the school. I am definitely glad I chose Georgetown. I encourage all of you to apply here. I am sure you will love it! It is a bit expensive compared to other schools, so that's a big downside. However, the faculty here are very impressive and supportive.

How do you like Georgetown socially? A big draw for me (aside from the academics) is the fact that it is in DC and I am hoping it is a place where I am meet lots of interesting people. Now, I am not sure if I will be just studying all the time...so the location might not matter anyway :\ But how's it for the average Georgetown med student?

Thanks! Definitely a top choice! :)

Early intro to patients, their Jesuit/Catholic philosophies (I'm a Catholic myself), interesting curriculum, DC, and, yes, the name. Georgetown is just an awesome place. My stats are just slightly below their averages, but I know ppl that go there with my stats, so I think it's possible. :D. If you're on the fence about it, I'd say apply.

You're not really that below the stats Steve. Their avg. for matriculating students is like 31.9 and 3.69. I'd say you're competitive :thumbup:.

I was also drawn to the emphasis on early introduction to patient care and clinical training, as well as the fantastic location. Georgetown's campus is quite nice as well. Hopefully my experiences and MCAT make me a better fit than my GPA does, and I get an interview. Sooooo many applicants though...

Members don't see this ad :)
You're not really that below the stats Steve. Their avg. for matriculating students is like 31.9 and 3.69. I'd say you're competitive :thumbup:.

I was also drawn to the emphasis on early introduction to patient care and clinical training, as well as the fantastic location. Georgetown's campus is quite nice as well. Hopefully my experiences and MCAT make me a better fit than my GPA does, and I get an interview. Sooooo many applicants though...

Nice! Thanks for the encouragement! Where do you guys find the "average" stats anyway? I use the MSAR and am stuck with dreadful medians.

I'm not familiar with your experiences, but based on your MCAT and you just being a swell guy, I'd interview you. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Count me in. All the rest of you withdraw so I get an interview. K, thanks.

If I were to live in Springfield, VA, would that be too far to commute to Georgetown? My grandmother lives there, and that free rent is pretty attractive!

Springfield is at the end of the Metro line and is probably about a 45 minute walk/Metro commute or 20-30 minutes by car depending on traffic. And if you have a car you'll pay quite a bit for a parking spot near campus. Don't forget that if you use Metro, you'll be paying about $4 or $5 per day for fare coming from Springfield. So whether you feel that free rent would be worth the hassle of a commute every day is kind of up to you. Traveling in the DC area always takes longer than you think it will.

That said, even taking into account Metro fares or a parking spot near campus you will save a lot of money compared to living in Georgetown where rents are horrendous. As an undergrad, I paid $900 a month for a teeny house shared with five other girls. That didn't include utilities. Dupont and Adams Morgan are slightly more reasonable nearby DC neighborhoods, and Rosslyn is a more reasonable VA neighborhood just across the Potomac from Georgetown.

I did my undergrad at Georgetown, so I can tell you about living in the area, but not about going to the med school--yet!! LOL. :D

How do you like Georgetown socially? A big draw for me (aside from the academics) is the fact that it is in DC and I am hoping it is a place where I am meet lots of interesting people. Now, I am not sure if I will be just studying all the time...so the location might not matter anyway :\ But how's it for the average Georgetown med student?

Thanks! Definitely a top choice! :)

I love Georgetown socially. I feel the school does a good job of bringing us together at various events. Also, as a class we go to bars after exams and still find time to do fun activities as a whole. DC is a great place to be, the night life is great and there is so much happening here. I feel that there is a healthy balance of work and play with a little more weight on work. It seems everyone here is very smart and well balanced. If you come here you will be very happy with the environment.

I would also like to say that the stats that people are looking at may be a bit misleading. Keep in mind that Georgetown SOM pulls students in from different internal programs like their SMP. These students tend to have lower stats and pull down the overall numbers. So if your applying to Georgetown straight, you will need higher stats than what the reported average is for the most part. It also seems that undergrad school name plays somewhat of a role here. I notice the class roster of incoming students every year to always have a proportionally high number of students from top schools.

I would also like to say that the stats that people are looking at may be a bit misleading. Keep in mind that Georgetown SOM pulls students in from different internal programs like their SMP. These students tend to have lower stats and pull down the overall numbers. So if your applying to Georgetown straight, you will need higher stats than what the reported average is for the most part. It also seems that undergrad school name plays somewhat of a role here. I notice the class roster of incoming students every year to always have a proportionally high number of students from top schools.

:(

Rained on my parade.

:(

Rained on my parade.

Sorry guys; didn't mean to. Let me also say that a few people get in every year with "varying Stats." Just have a good story behind your application, make sure it is extremely well written and shine on interview date. When you get an interview PM me and I will tell you how to shine.

Good luck Everyone! :luck:

Sorry guys; didn't mean to. Let me also say that a few people get in every year with "varying Stats." Just have a good story behind your application, make sure it is extremely well written and shine on interview date. When you get an interview PM me and I will tell you how to shine.

Good luck Everyone! :luck:

Haha, no big deal. The bluntness is necessary. Should I get an interview, I will definitely PM you!

currently an undergrad here sitting in my lab in the med center scanning the forums. anybody want any answers to anything I'm sure I can help a little bit!

I get a very positive vibe from Georgetown overall from taking with undergrads and friends from the area...but what is something you don't like about Georgetown?

I get a very positive vibe from Georgetown overall from taking with undergrads and friends from the area...but what is something you don't like about Georgetown?

When I was there for undergrad, there was a pretty significant disconnect between the students and the administration. Don't know how true that is for the med school. Residents who live in the area tend to irrationally hate the students, despite the fact that the school's been around since the 1700s and increases their property value tremendously. Yet they're perfectly happy to take advantage of student renters. There's no Metro stop nearby, you have to walk 20 minutes to Rosslyn. You can't get contraceptives on campus since it's a Catholic school.

That said, the positives of Georgetown FAR outweighed the negatives, for me. Happy students, incredible location, and the Jesuits are awesome. Try to have dinner in the Jesuit Residence sometime, they're amazing and will give you lots of wine to drink. :D

When I was there for undergrad, there was a pretty significant disconnect between the students and the administration. Don't know how true that is for the med school. Residents who live in the area tend to irrationally hate the students, despite the fact that the school's been around since the 1700s and increases their property value tremendously. Yet they're perfectly happy to take advantage of student renters. There's no Metro stop nearby, you have to walk 20 minutes to Rosslyn. You can't get contraceptives on campus since it's a Catholic school.

That said, the positives of Georgetown FAR outweighed the negatives, for me. Happy students, incredible location, and the Jesuits are awesome. Try to have dinner in the Jesuit Residence sometime, they're amazing and will give you lots of wine to drink. :D

Go Jesuits. :thumbup:

good to know, thank you! Given Georgetown's religious affiliation, will they ask a lot of hmm not religious questions, but medical issues that might conflict with religious values?

Personally I am atheist, but I generally have no religious views on anything...I don't want that to be the reason the Georgetown doesn't accept me.

good to know, thank you! Given Georgetown's religious affiliation, will they ask a lot of hmm not religious questions, but medical issues that might conflict with religious values?

Personally I am atheist, but I generally have no religious views on anything...I don't want that to be the reason the Georgetown doesn't accept me.

I doubt your religion or lack thereof will make a difference. :) Most of the students and faculty aren't Catholic or religious. In fact, Georgetown has gotten in trouble with the Vatican for being "too liberal" on religious matters. The Jesuit order is among the most theologically liberal of the Catholic orders. The university is pretty committed to religious diversity. Apart from seeing Jesuits around campus and crosses in some of the classrooms, you probably won't be exposed to religion unless you seek it.

Of course, I wouldn't go advertising during your interview that you love abortion or whatever. Don't chance it, lol.

Georgetown vs GWU? Is this even worth debating about?

Georgetown vs GWU? Is this even worth debating about?

Well, when I was a mean immature undergrad we used to say GW stood for "Georgetown Waitlist". :oops::rolleyes: I'd be happy going to either med school. I liked that Georgetown has a traditional campus. GW is in a more fun and less pretentious neighborhood. Plus Foggy Bottom has a Metro stop. GW Med has a bigger focus on global medicine, Georgetown a bigger focus on community service (from what I can tell). GW has a better hospital than Georgetown, in my experience, with a level 1 trauma center. However, you'll be doing clinicals at a lot of different hospitals in the DC/MD/NoVa area.

Hi! just a quick question..I have been stressing over the LORs. Just to be sure, 2 letters from my science professors and one from my clinical research supervisor will suffice?

Hi! just a quick question..I have been stressing over the LORs. Just to be sure, 2 letters from my science professors and one from my clinical research supervisor will suffice?

Yes, assuming your school doesn't have a premed committee then you're good to go for Georgetown

http://som.georgetown.edu/docs/2012 Guide to Application Final.pdf (page 9):

"The Committee on Admissions requires a signed appraisal of your character and ability from your premedical advisor or premedical committee, [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]OR ..you must submit a minimum of two letters of recommendation from your science professors. Applicants may elect to submit additional letters with a maximum of five (including the required letters).

Graduate students working toward a degree in the sciences are encouraged to submit an evaluation from a member of the graduate faculty."

I was not asked ANY questions about religion during my interview. They also do not push any religious agenda on you as a medical student. There are plenty of Jewish students, atheist and other religions well represented here. The renal professor is Jewish and wears a Yamaka, so don't stress it; the medical school is a very open and an accepting place of all faiths or lack thereof.

I just got the secondary as well... on yours does it allow you to select anything from the pull-down menu that is titled "Select your Program"?? It won't on mine... just curious.

I am unable to select anything from this menu as well. This seems like a common problem this cycle!

Yeah, it seems like they're going to need some time to clean this up a bit. Definitely been an ongoing problem with secondaries this cycle, weird...

Can someone share the prompts? I didn't get a secondary yet

I got the e-mail this morning but can't seem to access the prompt or choose a degree program. They had some problems with it last year according to the thread. I'll try again on a different computer later.

From the 2011 Application pdf:

Georgetown University School of Medicine has a new electronic secondary application system. While we anticipate a smooth application process, the first year of any new electronic system will have some minor glitches.

Essay: Why have you chosen to apply to Georgetown University School of Medicine, and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? * Please note: Essays should not exceed one single-spaced page at 12 point font (c. 5,000 characters).

and

Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application? (1000 characters)

Received the secondary this morning as well. I haven't gotten the chance to test the system out yet, but it looks like people are having trouble with it so I won't rush just yet.

Essay: Why have you chosen to apply to Georgetown University School of Medicine, and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? * Please note: Essays should not exceed one single-spaced page at 12 point font (c. 5,000 characters).

and

Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application? (1000 characters)

these are not the only essays. there's another 1,000 char one that i can't get to right now

Received the secondary this morning as well. I haven't gotten the chance to test the system out yet, but it looks like people are having trouble with it so I won't rush just yet.

system worked fine 5 mins ago

1000 characters doesn't do justice to what I'm trying to describe.

Short Answer

Georgetown University School of Medicine strives to ensure that its students become respectful physicians who embrace all dimensions of diversity. Please describe how any personal characteristics or life experiences will contribute to the diversity of, and bring educational benefits to, our student body. (1000 char. limit)

and the other 2 posted above

Status
Not open for further replies.