2011-2012 LSU - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
add me and 3 others I know

a professor at Tulane's master program told a friend of mine that the actual number when she was at LSU when students dropped acceptances on May 15 was more then the ~50 Eubanks predicted and near towards 100. I'm not sure if it's true, but hey false hope is great! =___=

Members don't see this ad :)
It's just a ballpark figure because I know we're all curious.

Total- 19

this semester just gets worse. going to get a B in histo because my teacher is a DB. I missed one test and a quiz due to interviews and I got 0's on them because he won't let me make it up. FACK cmon acceptance letter...don't fail me now! (btw it also made me lose summa cum laude, double fack)

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck guys. To traditional students still waiting - if you don't make it in this year, have a couple days of mopeyness (you deserve to mope a little, everyone works hard to get here) then please look at some of the pro's of a gap year. I personally came to school straight from undergrad. I did try to take a gap year for which I could defer acceptance (was trying to find a high school teaching position while applying, but not through TFA), but the job hunt didn't pan out. In retrospect, I would have had a broader range of jobs that I would have considered taking a gap year for (e.g. mcat/act/sat teaching). There's definitely a tendency to try to rush through this process, but your early 20's are definitely some great healthy years to enjoy a relatively light load of obligations/things outside of what you'll be doing for the rest of your life. Just try to look at the bright sides of either outcome :)

Good luck again!

Anyone think they will let some NFA people know that they got in before the May 15th deadline?

Good luck to everyone by the way

I think so. It was the case last year and the year before that people on the NFA list were accepted before May 15. If the committee meets tomorrow, then they should mail out things starting next Monday/Tuesday I feel?

so if you're on the NFA list now, will you get a letter no matter what next week? If so, are the options accepted, waitlisted, and rejected or somehting different from those 3? Just seeing is anyone out there knows

One does not simply understand the New Orleans adcom

Boromir.jpeg

Well, it's May 4th! Good luck everyone! May luck be in everyone's favor.

Good luck guys. To traditional students still waiting - if you don't make it in this year, have a couple days of mopeyness (you deserve to mope a little, everyone works hard to get here) then please look at some of the pro's of a gap year.

Isn't it more like a gap month? It's already May, and according to SDN you have to submit by June 1st, because June 2nd is late late late. A gap year would really imply two years off, applying for the class of 2018 :eek:

Anyone with experience know if this date causes a significant "trickle down" effect to open up spots in shreveport?

Anyone with experience know if this date causes a significant "trickle down" effect to open up spots in shreveport?
I hope so. I know one person that is withholding his deposit check due to Shreveport on May 15th until the last second in the hopes that he gets a letter this week from New Orleans.

I, unfortunately, am on the waitlist for both schools :(

I hope so. I know one person that is withholding his deposit check due to Shreveport on May 15th until the last second in the hopes that he gets a letter this week from New Orleans.

I, unfortunately, am on the waitlist for both schools :(

+1. Waiting on either New Orleans or Shreveport to show me some love! :scared:

Of course there has to be rampant poaching... unless you doubt the veracity of their public stance denying coordination to minimize it, that is. (cough cough cough)

Want to drop a K into a new laptop despite LSU making us buy a brick loaded w their software.

Can any students chime in? Do most ppl have a personal PC + school laptop?

Want to drop a K into a new laptop despite LSU making us buy a brick loaded w their software.

My roommate is a first year med student at LSU and he hasnt picked up his personal laptop since he started med school. I think he and most of our med school buddies would say that they have ended up doing almost everything on their school laptop.

The brick should be more than enough laptop for me... if I want to do fun things that's what a desktop is for.

I've got a laptop I bought a year before I started med school with better specs than the school laptop (it was cheaper, too). The school laptop is ridiculously slow and most of the time can't even properly load YouTube videos.

I do school work on the school laptop and everything else on my personal laptop.

Well guys the week is here. Good luck to everyone keep the updates coming!

so got some unfortunate news...mailings should arrive at the end of next week and not this week...1 more week guys!

Aw man, one more week of agony! Where did you hear this btw?

I'll never understand what takes them so long to mail a letter. :stayingcalm:

so got some unfortunate news...mailings should arrive at the end of next week and not this week...1 more week guys!

What the ****

And to punctuate that with an exclamation point is just wrong

I just called and they said anytime between this week and next week

Last edited:
I've got a laptop I bought a year before I started med school with better specs than the school laptop (it was cheaper, too). The school laptop is ridiculously slow and most of the time can't even properly load YouTube videos.

I do school work on the school laptop and everything else on my personal laptop.

I second this. I got a new laptop the summer before med school and I use it whenever I'm not doing school stuff.

I can't even imagine how slow and annoying my school computer would be with all of my music on it.

<~~~~ Has no problem w/ his school lappy. I torrent, rip and burn movies, play a few games, listen to music, etc. w/o any big problems. :cool:

itunes is the only POS program that takes forever to load up. Zune does way way better in that department. They do take forever to reboot/start-up. But I never turn mine off unless I need to restart due to installations, updates, or what-not.

would an LOR from an economics professor count as a "science" letter? i have 2 from the hard sciences but this school seems to be one of the only that require 3. is this too much of a stretch?

would an LOR from an economics professor count as a "science" letter? i have 2 from the hard sciences but this school seems to be one of the only that require 3. is this too much of a stretch?

Yeah... I know they call it the dismal science but that's a stretch. :(

LORs have to be from the "sciences" including BCPM (Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Math). Was the class you took from this professor a quantitative/math-heavy type of Economics course? If so, they may count it as falling under the science of mathematics...the best way to find out is call the admissions office. It may be a stretch, but good luck!

Received a pretty heft scholarship today. Really glad to receive some IS lovin!:love:

For those that received scholarships, were they need based or merit based? What were your stats if you don't mind my asking?

Status
Not open for further replies.