2011-2012 LSU - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They're just kind of old school. You can't even submit the app or pay the fee online. Shreveport doesn't use AMCAS letter service either.

metallica - You're a med student at LSUHSC? Do you know about the Rural Scholars program? What have you heard about it? People like it generally or no?

I know some people in the Rural Scholars program and they don't talk about it much, therefore I don't know much about it. But it seems like there's a decent amount.

I'm not sure if they're doing away with it in favor of the 3 year primary care program in Lafayette, though. That's something I've heard. But I've heard a lot of things. This year's incoming class might be the last ones to get to do rural track. Since you're applying for this app season, it's probably something you'll find out about at your interview - they'll mention it.

Members don't see this ad.

I heard that LSU recently dropped the 3 year accelerated program. They supposedly sent out emails to those who applied for the program that it was no longer available...Anyone else hear this news?

Anyone know how I go about setting up some sort of meeting with someone to go over my application?

I applied last year and got into Shreveport, but not New Orleans. I really really want to go to New Orleans so I opted out of Shreveport. I will be applying to both again this year and will obviously cut my losses and go to Shreveport if it is the only one I get into. I am hoping this new job at Ochsner will look really good and might help my chances with New Orleans. I'd still like to get in touch with someone there and see what else I can do to beef up my application. I am not sure if I should apply now or wait till I have 'fixed' my application for the better.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard that LSU recently dropped the 3 year accelerated program. They supposedly sent out emails to those who applied for the program that it was no longer available...Anyone else hear this news?

that's really surprising, considering this is the first year they are doing it. Maybe there wasn't enough interest. I didn't apply 'cause it precludes you from being accepted to the 4 year program in NO, and idk if I'm really that into primary care. Maybe if it was for emergency med as well I'd do it, but it did not explicitly say that.

Anyone know how I go about setting up some sort of meeting with someone to go over my application?

I applied last year and got into Shreveport, but not New Orleans. I really really want to go to New Orleans so I opted out of Shreveport. I will be applying to both again this year and will obviously cut my losses and go to Shreveport if it is the only one I get into. I am hoping this new job at Ochsner will look really good and might help my chances with New Orleans. I'd still like to get in touch with someone there and see what else I can do to beef up my application. I am not sure if I should apply now or wait till I have 'fixed' my application for the better.

I'd just call up admissions and see if there's anyone that does that sort of thing. If there's a pre-med or pre-health advisor at your school, or the school you used to go to if you've been out, try them.
what's the motivation for going to NO over shreveport? they're about equal nowadays. The hospital and med school are really nice and so closely connected. But if you're dead set on one over the other, keep trying til you get into NO, being where you don't want to be would just make the next 4 years that much harder.

I applied last year and got into Shreveport, but not New Orleans. I really really want to go to New Orleans so I opted out of Shreveport.

You must be supremely confident, although I guess getting accepted once is a good sign. I would crawl over a mile of broken glass to avoid another year of "no, I'm not the doctor... no, not a med student either..." at my clinic.

Last edited:
I emailed a couple of professors on Thursday and had no response for asking a letter of recommendation.

Should I go to their office hours and ask? (It has been several years since I took their classes, showed up to most of their office hours, and I did very well in their classes. Never asked for letters of recommendation before).

This is for the 3rd letter for science.

I emailed a couple of professors on Thursday and had no response for asking a letter of recommendation.

Should I go to their office hours and ask? (It has been several years since I took their classes, showed up to most of their office hours, and I did very well in their classes. Never asked for letters of recommendation before).

This is for the 3rd letter for science.

You haven't talked to them in years? I'd definitely meet them in person. They can only remember so many faces and grades.

I hope for your sake that you get into New Orleans, because Shreveport may have blacklisted you. You'd also better hope New Orleans doesn't dwell too much on the fact that you turned down an acceptance to an allopathic medical school. Schools DO NOT look highly upon that. Why would you apply to a school you wouldn't go to? I hate to say this but you could have really messed up your chances.

I applied last year and got into Shreveport, but not New Orleans. I really really want to go to New Orleans so I opted out of Shreveport.
thesituati.gif

I have 3 questions about the secondary applications ... I plan on mailing them tomorrow:
1. This "if you wish letter" ... Is it a good idea to write it? I have nothing more to say than what I have already wrote in AMCAS and my personal statement, so I would basically be just re-writing it. I think I could include why I want to go to LSU-NO, but it's not a very elaborate answer. It's mostly because I want to stay in this area and I love LSU!!
2. It asks if you are currently employed ... I'm in the process of looking for a job, but for now, I am self-employed as a court reporting scopist. Should I include this or not? I just pick up extra work right now from my mother who is a court reporter, so I'm technically not "employed". I included in in my AMCAS though.
3. It asks if it was necessary for you to work to cover educational costs? I don't know whether to put yes or no. I had about 90% covered by scholarships, and I worked, but it wasn't because I had to pay for the rest. I worked just to have spending money. Should I check yes or no??

Thanks!!! :)

I think that "if you wish" letter is a chance for you to explain any criminal record type things, or really low grades.
I'd just leave the current employment part blank. It can't be that important, no other secondary app I've seen asks about it. It might be important if you're OOS and trying to demonstrate that you meet the residency requirement.
If you didn't have to work to cover school expenses, it wasn't necessary. They're trying to figure out if you've overcome any financial hardship.

Am0428,

1. If I were you I would definitely write about why LSU. You could spend some time reading about their programs, curriculum, facilities, etc. and write a more detailed answer. However, if you do not want to do that, then there is no point in repeating info already included elsewhere.

2. Yes, you should say that you are currently employed.

3. I am not sure about that one, it really depends on you. If you didn't work to cover your school expenses, then I would say no.

Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have 3 questions about the secondary applications ... I plan on mailing them tomorrow:
1. This "if you wish letter" ... Is it a good idea to write it? I have nothing more to say than what I have already wrote in AMCAS and my personal statement, so I would basically be just re-writing it. I think I could include why I want to go to LSU-NO, but it's not a very elaborate answer. It's mostly because I want to stay in this area and I love LSU!!
2. It asks if you are currently employed ... I'm in the process of looking for a job, but for now, I am self-employed as a court reporting scopist. Should I include this or not? I just pick up extra work right now from my mother who is a court reporter, so I'm technically not "employed". I included in in my AMCAS though.
3. It asks if it was necessary for you to work to cover educational costs? I don't know whether to put yes or no. I had about 90% covered by scholarships, and I worked, but it wasn't because I had to pay for the rest. I worked just to have spending money. Should I check yes or no??

Thanks!!! :)

1. I wrote it because I'm originally from PA but established LA residency. I applied for the MD/PhD program & just wrote about how I was committed to Louisiana.
2. I would say employed, though comment on it if you can (I don't remember if you can).. they're interested in what you're doing now.
3. If it didn't cover any essential housing/schooling costs, then no. If it did, then say yes. They're asking if you HAD to work & therefore it may have put added pressure on your studies. Having to work to go to school teaches you a lot & that's big for them.

Well I hope that is not the case. I opted out of Shreveport primarily because of location and for financial reasons. I can't imagine spending the next four years of my life studying my ass off in and environment I don't feel conducive to do so. I figured over a year I could really make my application that much better and hopefully get in to New Orleans along with paying off some major bills and what not.

So New Orleans will know that I was accepted to Shreveport last year? If so why would they frown upon me not accepting when the reason was that I wanted to go to their institution so much that I pushed back my medical training an entire year?

I really doubt I 'did myself in' because I applied and then decided to take a year off.

Well I hope that is not the case. I opted out of Shreveport primarily because of location and for financial reasons. I can't imagine spending the next four years of my life studying my ass off in and environment I don't feel conducive to do so. I figured over a year I could really make my application that much better and hopefully get in to New Orleans along with paying off some major bills and what not.

So New Orleans will know that I was accepted to Shreveport last year? If so why would they frown upon me not accepting when the reason was that I wanted to go to their institution so much that I pushed back my medical training an entire year?

I really doubt I 'did myself in' because I applied and then decided to take a year off.

Yes, they will know. While it is a sign that you wanted to go to New Orleans that much (and I'm sure you let them know that), medical schools don't like it when you reject an acceptance to any other medical school. The opinion from most on here is that it comes across as ungrateful to reject an opportunity that so many work hard and fail to obtain.

It's not about applying then deciding to take a year off to improve - that's fine and many people do that to their advantage. It's the fact that you were accepted to a medical school and denied it to apply over again and try for a different school.

I'm not saying you won't get in - stranger things have happened, I'm sure. I'm just saying that it could be an issue. There are probably threads from previous years with people who have reapplied after being accepted somewhere, but I've never seen how those turn out in the end.

I have a professor that may write me a letter but won't be back in the office til the 25th... sigh

Dang u guys scared me about having to do 3 science LORs.

Thank goodness I did the composite letters =)

Who else has applied EDP? Wonder when they'll start sending out interview invitations.......

I applied EDP to LSU-NO. I won't have my secondaries and committee packet sent in until next Monday though, so I'm thinking I'm a little later than the rest. I heard interview invites start going out late august-beginning of september.

Certainly, I don't think you did yourself in. But it's good to be prepared, right? Med schools (and, in my experience, LSU in particular) are interested in students who are (1) unquestionably, seriously committed to medicine and (2) mature.

There are some who may well see turning down a place at LSU-S as undermining you on both points. I'm sure you have a convincing case for why that isn't true. Just make sure you are able to articulate the reasons why you chose as you did in a way that highlights your maturity and serious commitment to medicine.

Good luck this year.

I have a 3.9 with a 23 MCAT score (unfortunately). Are my chances good for EDP? Getting nervous...

yikes. i hate to bring the bad news, but you won't be accepted EDP. why in the world did you apply EDP?

been complete here. called yesterday to confirm. they gave me a tough time about the 3 science letters - but i have them and all is good.

yikes. i hate to bring the bad news, but you won't be accepted EDP. why in the world did you apply EDP?

sorry, maybe this was too bold. I've just heard that in order to apply EDP, you need at least a 30 MCAT to have a shot.

maybe your app. has some really bright spots, but I'd expect you to be put in the regular applicant pool.

I don't think you did yourself if, I think you'll be fine, but don't take any consolation in that or feel bad if others think it was a mistake. A school should not judge an applicant negatively because of a turned down acceptance. There's a view that it's wrong because others have fought for spots and not received spots, but that's one side's opinion. I would say that you didn't hurt anyone turning down the spot, in fact, someone got in to medical school who otherwise would not have gotten in this year, so someone at Shreveport should be thanking you. But what a school should think and what it does think can be vastly different, as many can attest.

But if asked, I'd not say location. You'll be asked why you applied there in the first place because Shreveport hasn't moved. If you want to say financial, that you wanted to make some more money before starting school, or just that you made decision that you were not prepared to start like you had thought, I think you'd be fine. But be prepared to explain why now is better and that you would not turn down a spot if offered. Also, Shreveport may question why you didn't ask for a deferment.

hello guys,

32R (12P 9V 11BS), 3.91 science, 3.94 overall
how do i look for LSU-NO?
I'm from new orleans if that matters any

hello guys,

32R (12P 9V 11BS), 3.91 science, 3.94 overall
how do i look for LSU-NO?
I'm from new orleans if that matters any

your 9 on verbal might hold you back for tulane, but for LSUHSC your MCAT is solid.

LSUS is including an apple laptop and an ipad 2 in their expenses. why? what do we need a new laptop for exactly?

LSUS is including an apple laptop and an ipad 2 in their expenses. why? what do we need a new laptop for exactly?

I can't speak for LSUS, but LSUNO does its testing (lecture portions) on the laptops, so it comes preloaded with software for testing, as well as encyption software useful for clinical years and having patient information. That said, I can't answer why they don't just let you use any computer and put the software on it.

So, now that NOLA isn't doing the 3 yr accelerated program until 2013, are they still admitting around 240 new students?

I had spoken to McCluggage in admissions who said they would accept up to 40 OOS, but if they stick with the 240 number, there would still be more IS students accepted.

Any thoughts?

So, now that NOLA isn't doing the 3 yr accelerated program until 2013, are they still admitting around 240 new students?

I had spoken to McCluggage in admissions who said they would accept up to 40 OOS, but if they stick with the 240 number, there would still be more IS students accepted.

Any thoughts?

Nope, they are still accepting 200 students even though the Accelerated Program is no longer available. UP to 40 of these spots can be OOS, but that doesn't mean that all of these spots will be.

I can't speak for LSUS, but LSUNO does its testing (lecture portions) on the laptops, so it comes preloaded with software for testing, as well as encyption software useful for clinical years and having patient information. That said, I can't answer why they don't just let you use any computer and put the software on it.

Isn't there also some deal where the school laptops can be locked down during tests so that nobody can google the answers?

For #7 of the stage 2 application, it states:
For those who are re-applying, please fill out the designated form indicating what you have been doing since your last application.

I applied last year, but not to LSU. Does anyone know if I have to fill this part out if this is my first time applying to LSU?

interview invite! yay LSU!
they email you to call and pick a date
so convenient

I also got my interview invitation this morning! I wasn't expecting anything this early especially since I am not EDP. I'm excited and nervous! Good luck to all!

I never got any correspondence from them after I sent in my secondary until the interview invite.

For those who are re-applying, please fill out the designated form indicating what you have been doing since your last application.

I applied last year, but not to LSU. Does anyone know if I have to fill this part out if this is my first time applying to LSU?

I'm assuming it's the same as LSU-S, meaning no. They only want the re-applicant form if you applied to the school last year. Like I said, that was my experience with LSU-S; so if you are still at unease, give Admissions a call.

I don't think you count as a reapplicant to LSU.

Does anyone know if they send out all of the interview invites on one day each month? I know the adcom meets once a month or whatever, but I don't know if interview invites get spread out across the month.

Congrats to those who got an interview. Just found out I wasn't granted an interview EDP :( Now the waiting begins.....

Congrats to those who got an interview. Just found out I wasn't granted an interview EDP :( Now the waiting begins.....

do you mind if I ask you for your stats?

Where do we go to check on status updates?

I got an email today saying my application was complete (even though its been complete for weeks!). Looked something like this:

ACKNOWLEDGMENT OF COMPLETION
LSU SCHOOL OF MEDICINE IN NEW ORLEANS

This is to acknowledge that your application to LSU School of Medicine in New Orleans is now complete. You will be contacted by the Admissions Office when further action is taken on your application.

Applicants may call the Admissions Office on Thursdays between 1:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. to check their application status. If you have any questions, you may also e-mail the Admissions Office at [email protected]. In addition, course work not reflected on AMCAS should be sent to the Admissions Office via separate transcripts

p.s. no interview yet, keeping my fingers crossed! For some reason I was under the impression they started interviewing in October, I'm not sure where I got that from....

Status
Not open for further replies.