2011-2012 LSU - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never received a complete email, though I did call and they told me I was complete, hmmm...

And I was under a similar impression that interviews began in October. I figured they'd start interviewing the regular applicant pool once all EDP decisions had been made. Guess I was wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

Where do we go to check on status updates?

You will soon find that LSU-NO isn't located in the New Orleans you know, but rather New Orleans, 1984, an Orwellian world in which computers don't exist :) Call to check

mailed in my secondary mid/late june, finally got email acknowledgement of application completion today

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email today saying my application was complete (even though its been complete for weeks!). Looked something like this:

ACKNOWLEDGMENT OF COMPLETION
LSU SCHOOL OF MEDICINE IN NEW ORLEANS

This is to acknowledge that your application to LSU School of Medicine in New Orleans is now complete. You will be contacted by the Admissions Office when further action is taken on your application.

Applicants may call the Admissions Office on Thursdays between 1:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. to check their application status. If you have any questions, you may also e-mail the Admissions Office at [email protected]. In addition, course work not reflected on AMCAS should be sent to the Admissions Office via separate transcripts

p.s. no interview yet, keeping my fingers crossed! For some reason I was under the impression they started interviewing in October, I'm not sure where I got that from....
yea same email i got and have been complete for a while

congrats to those that already got interview invites!

Good luck:luck:

do you mind if I ask you for your stats?

Not too good. 27 MCAT and a 3.65 GPA. It's my 3rd time applying so I thought I'd give EDP a shot since I had nothing to lose

I just got back into the states from a Caribbean cruise and had an email with an interview invite waiting for me! Excitedddd :)

I'm assuming it's the same as LSU-S, meaning no. They only want the re-applicant form if you applied to the school last year. Like I said, that was my experience with LSU-S; so if you are still at unease, give Admissions a call.

32 MCAT, 4.0 GPA

I sent in all my secondary application materials about a week or so after receiving them, so I don't know whether it was the time my application was received or the application itself. Nonetheless, I'm excited. Scheduled my interview for September 19th.

32 MCAT, 4.0 GPA

I sent in all my secondary application materials about a week or so after receiving them, so I don't know whether it was the time my application was received or the application itself. Nonetheless, I'm excited. Scheduled my interview for September 19th.

I'll be there the 19th as well.

Anybody know how many interviews LSU-NO usually sends out for ED? Also, anyone know what percentage of ED applicants interviewed are accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know how many interviews LSU-NO usually sends out for ED? Also, anyone know what percentage of ED applicants interviewed are accepted?

I don't think they have a set number for interviews. For acceptances, I think everyone from my interview day was accepted. If I remember Dr. Eubanks quoting a number correctly, I think 90%ish of ED are either accepted right away or accepted eventually. Really can't remember which for sure. There's a higher stat cutoff for applying ED as well though, so probably some combination of that with displaying commitment to the school up your odds a bit.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE WHO WAS GRANTED AN INTERVIEW!! :luck:

I'm hoping for one as well...

Just got a new MCAT score today - 32R. Hoping for some love from here soon. :xf:

gonna see if my professor will give me my last (3rd) science letter tomorrow.

I will call this pre interview practice.

sent in my 3rd letter just now!

Will call to see if it is complete tomorrow!!

finally complete!

:xf: for one of the 40 OOS spots :)

interview invite!

By phone or email?

email. i received a 'application complete' email two minutes before the interview invite. quickest review of application ever? haha

I so cannot wait until I can get on with my life and never feel compelled to check SDN ever again. :luck:

I'm guessing this is your first year applying.

That is to say, in 8 or 10 months you might be ready for a vacation from the second-guessing and "hey guys I talked to admissions and they said they're sending out acceptance letters every day for the next two weeks!" updates... :laugh:

Last edited:
anyone heard about applying TOPS money to graduate tuition costs. I read that you could use this money if you went to an OOS undergraduate school.

TOPS won't apply for you if u graduated in 4 years from any school. sorry bro

Interviewed today, got a lil' info for y'all.

1) No more blind interview. All 3 of them will have read your file. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

2) About the out-of-state spots, they said the class will be at least 160 in-state and up to 40 out-of-state.

3) For EDP folks, they meet this Friday, you will hear back next week! :luck::xf:

did they mostly ask you about yourself or did they ask a bunch of health care questions and like, why LSUNO, why medicine?

I'm not sure if they didn't have the blind interview bc you applied for the EDP. Will it be the same for non-EDP's?

I think they're gone for everyone. Eubanks said the only reason they were doing them is because they'd been doing them, and nobody really felt they added anything to the process.

And yes you get three interviews, one-on-one. Format's kinda the same for each, personalities will probably be wildly different, and one of them will be your "advocate" (they explain that deal in the introductory talk... and your advocate won't say who they are but you'll know.)

I interviewed last year at LSU-NO. Examples of questions they asked: What type of leadership roles have you had?, If you could go back and change any one thing in your life, what would it be?, What are your best qualities?, What do you do for fun?, Tell me about your volunteer/research work., Tell me about your support system...Overall, the interviews are very laid back and fun.

Yeah they ask both "medicine" questions and "you" questions, weighted more heavily towards the "you" because they really don't yet expect you to know THAT much about medicine in the grand scheme of things, but they do expect you to know about yourself and your life up til now.

They'll ask you why you want to be a doctor, usually right away. Leadership, hobbies, service. The rest really depends on you, e.g. "tell me about your world-record stamp collection". There might be a question about a desert island or something, or "what quality is most important for a doctor to have" or there might not. I've had 6 interviewers and most questions were exactly what you'd expect. Read over the questions from prior interviews here on SDN but don't get too caught up in the "curveball" questions.

Hey guys! I'm a re-applicant, but from my interview last year, i also had three interviews. However, one of them was a blind interview. Questions were (like some of you guys already stated) about yourself. They asked me when did I demonstrate compassion, leadership roles, what if I don't get into a medical school, why LSUNO, hobbies, support, etc. It was really laid back. Stay true to yourself because I was warned that they can smell bull stuff instantly. haha hope this helps! :luck:

Sending in my application here tonight. Apparently, there are 40 slots being held for OOS students, which is a new thing they're doing.

This may be a sensitive subject, but it seems like there's some animosity between LSUHSC and Tulane students. Any current students care to comment?

This may be a sensitive subject, but it seems like there's some animosity between LSUHSC and Tulane students. Any current students care to comment?

I'm applying to both schools...

They're both in New Orleans, so I imagine that there's at least going to be a friendly rivalry. I don't think there's going to be much to worry about.

All I can think of is West Side Story, with the gang members in white coats...

Dunno why there would really be any between students. Between administrators/faculty? Have definitely noticed some

I'm applying to both schools...

They're both in New Orleans, so I imagine that there's at least going to be a friendly rivalry. I don't think there's going to be much to worry about.

All I can think of is West Side Story, with the gang members in white coats...

THIS IS THE FUNNIEST POST I HAVE READ ON THIS FORUM!!!! :roflcopter: :roflcopter: :roflcopter: I could totally see the rumble go down with scalpels.

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm new to SDN. Although I've been paying attention to this thread since July. About the LSU-Tulane issue...I can vouch from what I hear from medical students and family members affiliated with both schools. It's general rivalry; but as you climb the administrative ladder, things tend to get even more bitter. Tulane is notorious for trying to get their hands in LSU's 'pie'. Being a state institution, LSU is taxpayer funded. Tulane likes to boast that they're a private institution, but if any of you happened to catch the groundbreaking ceremony of the new hospital, you would have seen that the invitees were largely Tulane-affiliated (i.e. Scott Cowen and that crew). There is speculation that Tulane wants an even bigger chunk of the this new hospital (I believe initial board-appointments for Tulane were 2 spots out of the 9, with 5 going to LSU, 1 to Xavier, and one to Southern--needs fact check, but that's the rough ratio). I don't mean to crap on Tulane--I hear it produces great doctors (both of them do). Rightly so, Tulane has the upper hand when it comes to attracting private insurance. There is some rumor that this new hospital was LSU's attempt to lure those patients, thereby raising revenue. And with that said, there have been some philosophical skirmishes over the role of a state-funded institution--whether its mission should be revenue or education/care of the less fortunate. I could go on, but "New Orleans politics" really sums it all up. BTW I hear the committee is meeting sometime this next week for the sole purpose of reviewing regular decision applicants and sending acceptances to EDP applicants.

I mis-spoke: 4 permanent seats to LSU, 1 to Tulane, 1 to Xavier, and 1 that rotates b/w Dillard, Southern, and Delgado CC. 4 non-permanent seats to be approved by 7 permanent seat-holders. Quite a bit different from what I previously mentioned, I apologize. Also, there's a book out called "A History of the Charity Hospitals of Louisiana". Best place to find it is in LSUHSC's bookstore. Good read if you're trying to be more informed on the school itself!

Ah. I've talked to students from both schools and they always talk down each other, but it's always about academics and preparedness for clinicals, was wondering if there was any basis to it. This is th first I've heard about anything with the two administrations. Thanks for your input.

Ah. I've talked to students from both schools and they always talk down each other, but it's always about academics and preparedness for clinicals, was wondering if there was any basis to it. This is th first I've heard about anything with the two administrations. Thanks for your input.

I obviously can't comment from the Tulane perspective of things, but I'm sure that paying $30k more per year for what basically amounts to the same thing could make you a little bitter.

I obviously can't comment from the Tulane perspective of things, but I'm sure that paying $30k more per year for a grossly inferior education that will have LSU students running circles around you on rounds could make you a little bitter.

yep!

Status
Not open for further replies.