2011-2012 NYU Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find secondaries like this an duke to be much easier actually, lol. I find it harder to do 'how do you fit' because then you gotta do a crap load of research and try and find out any little details you can about the school to make a personalized response..

Members don't see this ad.

I find secondaries like this an duke to be much easier actually, lol. I find it harder to do 'how do you fit' because then you gotta do a crap load of research and try and find out any little details you can about the school to make a personalized response..
I guess it can go both ways. For me, though, I find that there are enough similarities between schools so that I don't have to completely rewrite an essay. If every school had questions like Duke and NYU, I'd be writing tons and tons of essays. Granted...they would probably start to overlap at some point too.

Despite the amount of work, I do appreciate the fact that this secondary will allow me to fully convey a picture of my myself

Members don't see this ad :)
Despite the amount of work, I do appreciate the fact that this secondary will allow me to fully convey a picture of my myself

Ya but when I did this for Dartmouth's secondary it only took a couple of clicks to upload the picture of me.

Ya but when I did this for Dartmouth's secondary it only took a couple of clicks to upload the picture of me.

hahahahaha. you know what they say, a picture is worth 1000 words!

App Complete email & Application Complete-Under Review on the status site :xf:

Submitted. *shakes out hands* Those were long essays to retype into the boxes - I wish they gave a countdown like some schools do.

Jesus christ, congrats to everyone who finishes this. It's easily the longest secondary I have thus far.

I know! I'm trying to do an essay a day here...should submit by the end of the week.

yup...same here. this secondary is brutal!

btw- does anyone know how to do the courses information? My science classes were split into lecture and labs, but there aren't 4 spaces for each science- only three!

??

yup...same here. this secondary is brutal!

btw- does anyone know how to do the courses information? My science classes were split into lecture and labs, but there aren't 4 spaces for each science- only three!

??

I called admissions. Put both courses on the same line and separate them with a "/"

I called admissions. Put both courses on the same line and separate them with a "/"

Oops. I didn't do this. I definitely have the labs - I suppose they'll just have to check my AMCAS. You know, this could have been in the instructions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oops. I didn't do this. I definitely have the labs - I suppose they'll just have to check my AMCAS. You know, this could have been in the instructions.

It's also on the admissions website under FAQ.

Q: I do not have enough room to type in all required courses, what should I do?
A:
You can add two courses on one line. Seperate the courses with a backslash /.

http://school.med.nyu.edu/admissions/faq

2 essays down, 1 to go

worst secondary by far

I'm working on both at the moment and NYU's takes the cake, especially if you have to complete the optional essays.

Anyone else feel compelled to use all 2500 characters? I have not really put too much thought into what I am going to do after medical school/residency/fellowship. I mean, I have a general idea... maybe. I'm just trying to focus on getting IN to medical school first ;)

Hey guys, I have a quick question about the secondary:

For the "Courses" section, did you fill it in as (ex.) "Bio 101" or "General Biology"?

I'm not quite sure if they want the course title or course numbers. Thanks in advance!

Hey guys, I have a quick question about the secondary:

For the "Courses" section, did you fill it in as (ex.) "Bio 101" or "General Biology"?

I'm not quite sure if they want the course title or course numbers. Thanks in advance!

I am writing both as in "Bio 101 General Biology"

On that note, are y'all writing "Not applicable" if those first two questions do not apply or just leaving them blank?

Anyone else feel compelled to use all 2500 characters? I have not really put too much thought into what I am going to do after medical school/residency/fellowship. I mean, I have a general idea... maybe. I'm just trying to focus on getting IN to medical school first ;)

It would look much worse to use 2500 characters of BS than 1000 characters of meaningful writing, IMO. I'm not all that worried about character count as long as I feel I've adequately addressed the question.

do they take ap credit for english?

nevermind. from their faqs, Yes, as long as it appears as AP credit on your undergraduate transcript. On the secondary application, enter AP in the grade box. Please note: We do not accept exempt credit for any required course.

Just submitted my app...wow. That's all I got to say!

Now, the reward of finishing this damn app - taking the weekend off! :)

Don't make yourself crazy...I "only" did about 1800 characters for each essay. Don't sweat it!

Otherwise, your fingers may actually fall off.

All of the labs for my biology, chemistry and physics are different classes than the lectures but there is only space for three classes. Are people with separate classes listing their labs or just listing the lectures?

All of the labs for my biology, chemistry and physics are different classes than the lectures but there is only space for three classes. Are people with separate classes listing their labs or just listing the lectures?

It's also on the admissions website under FAQ.

Q: I do not have enough room to type in all required courses, what should I do?
A:
You can add two courses on one line. Seperate the courses with a backslash /.

http://school.med.nyu.edu/admissions/faq

Put the lecture and the lab next to each other.

wtf i typed all the essays without copying and pasting. submitted, and my line breaks for paragraphs are now gone. everything is just one big paragraph.. arg did this happen to anyone else.

wtf i typed all the essays without copying and pasting. submitted, and my line breaks for paragraphs are now gone. everything is just one big paragraph.. arg did this happen to anyone else.

yea that happened to me, I'm assuming its because it's being presented to you in html, so it should (I hope) resolve itself when they view it on their end. (kind of like the amcas print options where html had no breaks, but pdf looked fine)

yea that happened to me, I'm assuming its because it's being presented to you in html, so it should (I hope) resolve itself when they view it on their end. (kind of like the amcas print options where html had no breaks, but pdf looked fine)

hmm just checked my amcas html printout and it had my paragraph breaks still in. i really hope it'll turn out fine. i dont want to look like an idiot not making paragraphs haha

About to type my essays in the secondary. Are you saying that, regardless of any paragraph breaks, the essay will appear to be missing such edits?

Sometimes the essay displayed will not reflect the paragraph breaks, but adcoms will see the fully edited version.

I had the same issue. I also doubt the adcom will see our apps in that bright purple font

I typed all of the essays in too and it also removed my line breaks. :( I'm really hoping that this doesn't accurately represent what adcoms see!

How specific should we be for the "Why NYU/How will you contribute" question? I've tried researching the website for NYU's curriculum and other info but there's not much I can specifically speak to.

How specific should we be for the "Why NYU/How will you contribute" question? I've tried researching the website for NYU's curriculum and other info but there's not much I can specifically speak to.

I'd be as specific as possible. The questions seemed geared toward "does this applicant fit our mission" and "how will he or she make us a better institution?"

Just submitted my secondary! After doing a ton of research for that "why us/why you?" question this is now one of my top choices.

what's research like at nyu?

For the first question: If you have taken any time off from your studies, either during or after college, please describe what you have done during this time and your reasons for doing so.

If we just graduated, do we just say what we've been doing during the summer? Or our plans for the upcoming year? Because I can only really answer for my plans up until August, so I'm hoping it's just the first ...

For the first question: If you have taken any time off from your studies, either during or after college, please describe what you have done during this time and your reasons for doing so.

If we just graduated, do we just say what we've been doing during the summer? Or our plans for the upcoming year? Because I can only really answer for my plans up until August, so I'm hoping it's just the first ...

I'm typing about my plans until matriculation.

Get your application in early to NYU. At some point, early on, they just completely stop reading applications.

I already got an email saying, "Your application is incomplete!! Send us your letters of recommendation!!" Well, it's a committee letter, I can't make it go any faster. :( It'll probably take another week or two for it to get sent out.

i submitted last night but i didn't get an email saying my application was submitted. the confirmation page does say that i submitted the secondary but still says my application is "in process"

also, i lost my paragraph breaks too...:xf:here's to hoping the adcom doesn't see everything i purple font like the confirmation page.

i submitted last night but i didn't get an email saying my application was submitted. the confirmation page does say that i submitted the secondary but still says my application is "in process"

also, i lost my paragraph breaks too...:xf:here's to hoping the adcom doesn't see everything i purple font like the confirmation page.

You'll get an email saying you're complete. I submitted on Saturday and got the complete email today.

The paragraph breaks will not be reflected in the application preview.

You'll get an email saying you're complete. I submitted on Saturday and got the complete email today.

The paragraph breaks will not be reflected in the application preview.

:thumbup: thanks! will be waiting for the email. :xf:gl everyone!

Do you know people, or a person?

Nope. You and LeoGer make good points. Probably best to spend my money where I actually have a connection to the school or a better MCAT fit. Thanks for the reality check! :thumbup:

What would happen if I do paste in my essays into the boxes after typing them into Microsoft Word? Why do I have to type if all into the boxes?

If it's an issue of rich text, I could always just type in Word, copy into gmail and convert to plain text and then copy into the NYU app.

Any ideas?

I hate secondaries...:mad:

What would happen if I do paste in my essays into the boxes after typing them into Microsoft Word? Why do I have to type if all into the boxes?

If it's an issue of rich text, I could always just type in Word, copy into gmail and convert to plain text and then copy into the NYU app.

Any ideas?

I hate secondaries...:mad:

What's better: Spending $100 for nothing? or spending an extra 10 minutes of your time?

That's the thought process I carried when deciding whether to type it out or not.

Can we get a discussion going/some input on what this question means?
"In this context, where do you see your future medical career (academic medicine, research, public health, primary care, business/law, etc) and why?"

Specifically, I don't know!! I don't know if I'm into primary care of subspecialties yet...
I think I want to work in a hospital and teach as well, but do I need a "title" for that, or can I just describe that interest?

And with the focus on "primary care", is saying I want to work in an in-patient setting a bad thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.