2011-2012 NYU Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
im so disappointed! i spent forever on these essays - and after i submitted i got an email saying some of my prerequisite courses were taken too long ago! i applied last year and it didnt seem to matter - and i didn't see that anywhere on their site. how sad i wont even be considered.

Members don't see this ad.

Can we get a discussion going/some input on what this question means?
"In this context, where do you see your future medical career (academic medicine, research, public health, primary care, business/law, etc) and why?"

Specifically, I don't know!! I don't know if I'm into primary care of subspecialties yet...
I think I want to work in a hospital and teach as well, but do I need a "title" for that, or can I just describe that interest?

And with the focus on "primary care", is saying I want to work in an in-patient setting a bad thing?

You're thinking too much into this question...I think they just want to know that you've thought a little bit about life beyond med school. I didn't write iron-clad specifics, I discussed my interest in a few clinical and research paths based on my experiences. If you think you might want to teach, say so and why. I think the only answer that could really be a bad one would either be to say that you haven't thought about it at all, or that you will go set a building on fire if you don't match neurosurg.

Sorry to hear that Pink.. wish you better luck with other schools.
Just curious, how long ago was your prerequisites taken?
Have u tried writing them a letter of appeal?

When I applied to USC, their admissions office said at first that I couldnt apply because my MCAT was 2 months older than their accepted dates.
I wrote a letter of appeal to the admissions committee, and they allowed me to apply.
Maybe you could do the same?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear that Pink.. wish you better luck with other schools.
Just curious, how long ago was your prerequisites taken?
Have u tried writing them a letter of appeal?

When I applied to USC, their admissions office said at first that I couldnt apply because my MCAT was 2 months older than their accepted dates.
I wrote a letter of appeal to the admissions committee, and they allowed me to apply.
Maybe you could do the same?

I just emailed admissions bc all their email said was my prereqs were too old - and it didn't say if i was supposed to respond or do anything. so i emailed and asked if maybe my biology/science courses from my phd work could count. we'll see. maybe ill appeal - thanks!

i graduated undergrad in 99. i worked and went to grad school and am a postdoc. i applied (really late) last year, and am reapplying - and this wasn't a problem.

I have a question. This is a reach school for me 27-29 mcat, 10th percentile gpa, OOS- but I would really love to go there. Should I use the academic fluctuations question to explain my low mcat - stressing on the fact that regardless of my low mcat, I feel like I am very prepared for medical school due to gpa, extracurricular activities, life experience, etc ( I don't really have any academic fluctuations). What do you think? Is this a good idea? Thanks

Last edited:
I have a question. This is a reach school for me 27 mcat, 10th percentile gpa, OOS- but I would really love to go there. Should I use the academic fluctuations question to explain my low mcat - stressing on the fact that regardless of my low mcat, I feel like I am very prepared for medical school due to gpa, extracurricular activities, life experience, etc ( I don't really have any academic fluctuations). What do you think? Is this a good idea? Thanks

Sure, why not. It's a reach school for you so you have to take risks.

I just emailed admissions bc all their email said was my prereqs were too old - and it didn't say if i was supposed to respond or do anything. so i emailed and asked if maybe my biology/science courses from my phd work could count. we'll see. maybe ill appeal - thanks!

i graduated undergrad in 99. i worked and went to grad school and am a postdoc. i applied (really late) last year, and am reapplying - and this wasn't a problem.

Shoot, I graduated undergrad in 98. I haven't received that email yet though.

I copy and paste all the answers to the questions from notepad to NYU secondary, and after I hit submit, the quotation and apostrophe becomes question mark and other weird symbol. Do you think will hurt my application since I didn't follow the direction??
or it just no big deal?

I copy and paste all the answers to the questions from notepad to NYU secondary, and after I hit submit, the quotation and apostrophe becomes question mark and other weird symbol. Do you think will hurt my application since I didn't follow the direction??
or it just no big deal?

Hard to say since admissions isn't posting in this forum.
If you're looking for moral support: If your application is exactly what they want, it probably won't make a difference.

If you want to be safe about copying and pasting, and you usually type in Word, copy and paste to Notepad first, then replace all the angled quotation marks with regular ones, as well as any other symbols that Word makes special (single quote might also need to be retyped). Copy from Notepad into browser, and you should be fine.

or it just no big deal?

Maybe a little bit for not following directions, but probably not too much as ultimately I think the content is still more important. The weird symbols shouldn't make it completely unreadable. Did you actually type the essay in Notepad?

Maybe a little bit for not following directions, but probably not too much as ultimately I think the content is still more important. The weird symbols shouldn't make it completely unreadable. Did you actually type the essay in Notepad?

No, I typed it in word then copy/paste them into notepad, but they looked okay in notepad though...
I don't want to retype them since I will type a lot of wrong words..sigh, o well..

No, I typed it in word then copy/paste them into notepad, but they looked okay in notepad though...
I don't want to retype them since I will type a lot of wrong words..sigh, o well..
Yeah, that's why I mentioned replacing quotes and apostrophes. If you look carefully, the quote and apostrophe that you type in Notepad is different from the one you pasted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Straight from NYU's website: "Interview invites begin September 15, 2011"

Patience is key.

If I can attend any school in the nation, this would be it. God willing...:)

im so disappointed! i spent forever on these essays - and after i submitted i got an email saying some of my prerequisite courses were taken too long ago! i applied last year and it didnt seem to matter - and i didn't see that anywhere on their site. how sad i wont even be considered.

Has anyone else had this problem? I took all my BCPM pre-reqs recently, but my English classes were all completed in '99...maybe some other classes that might qualify as writing intensive in the following years as well. I'm hesitant to type all of these if my lack of recent English will negate my application. Would love to hear experiences of other non-trads...

and sorry to hear about this, pink. don't understand why they wouldn't list it on the website. hope they make an exception for you!

Has anyone else had this problem? I took all my BCPM pre-reqs recently, but my English classes were all completed in '99...maybe some other classes that might qualify as writing intensive in the following years as well. I'm hesitant to type all of these if my lack of recent English will negate my application. Would love to hear experiences of other non-trads...

and sorry to hear about this, pink. don't understand why they wouldn't list it on the website. hope they make an exception for you!

Thanks! They didn't. I know NYU is an amazing school but I also know their admissions process is very strict. Though I guess they have to be w so many applicants. I would call or email them and ask before you spend time on their application. I applied really late last year and they never mentioned anything about my courses but I'm pretty sure it's bc they never read my application that late in the cycle. It's kind of a strange rule bc I haven't been sitting around for the past 10 years staring into space. I've gotten a phd in neuro w a number of publications and a postdoc and have done tons of outreach in the states and in India. So it's a strange requirement. But oh well!

They did say they'd refund my $ though.

Best of luck to you!!!!!

Thanks! They didn't. I know NYU is an amazing school but I also know their admissions process is very strict. Though I guess they have to be w so many applicants. I would call or email them and ask before you spend time on their application. I applied really late last year and they never mentioned anything about my courses but I'm pretty sure it's bc they never read my application that late in the cycle. It's kind of a strange rule bc I haven't been sitting around for the past 10 years staring into space. I've gotten a phd in neuro w a number of publications and a postdoc and have done tons of outreach in the states and in India. So it's a strange requirement. But oh well!

They did say they'd refund my $ though.

Best of luck to you!!!!!

Thanks pink! Same to you, I'm sure you'll end up somewhere great with all that post-grad experience!

Just got the complete e-mail, submitted about a week ago

Do you guys think that my "most meaningful non-academic achievement" has to be during my college years or any time?

I can't wait to be done with this secondary.... nyu is so awesome but this secondary is killer

Can anyone provide me with information about service learning or community outreach at NYU? I can't find it on the website.

I must have spent 6 hours on the "why us/diversity" essay today. The others look a little bit easier, so I'm hoping to be done with this bad boy tomorrow!

i'm such an idiot. i copy and paste all prompts to word files and work on them in word. i log on today and see that i missed the line that says to complete ONE of the three following essays. i could have submitted this one earlier because i was so hung up on the last essay... :laugh:

Oy this website. Can anyone comment on any opportunities in academic medicine at NYU? It seems like they discuss this being an emphasis and that they have a department for faculty research on the effectiveness of medical education curricula, etc, but I can't seem to find anything on teaching opportunities at NYU. Are there any NYU students out there that could possibly comment on any electives/groups/etc that afford medical education experience? Any TA opportunities, tutoring positions, community service in which you can teach (either in a classroom or clinical setting)? thanks in advance!

wow only took 4 days to be complete...pretty sweet.... i have a really low mcat for this school but hoping my secondaries/ec's/gpa pull some more weight :xf:

i'm such an idiot. i copy and paste all prompts to word files and work on them in word. i log on today and see that i missed the line that says to complete ONE of the three following essays. i could have submitted this one earlier because i was so hung up on the last essay... :laugh:
DUDE!!! i did the same things ...skdflj;asdlkfjsasdfas!!!! I could've submitted last week.

Oy this website. Can anyone comment on any opportunities in academic medicine at NYU? It seems like they discuss this being an emphasis and that they have a department for faculty research on the effectiveness of medical education curricula, etc, but I can't seem to find anything on teaching opportunities at NYU. Are there any NYU students out there that could possibly comment on any electives/groups/etc that afford medical education experience? Any TA opportunities, tutoring positions, community service in which you can teach (either in a classroom or clinical setting)? thanks in advance!

I was also wondering the same thing; any info would be great.

This school is amazing..I am applying this cycle too. I work there as research coordinator and my experiences have been extraordinary. It has unbelievable clinical exposure. Bellevue hospital is definitely a unique place to work.

If you have taken any time off from your studies, either during or after college

Does this question apply to students who have graduated from college and are applying now? I will have taken time off by the time I start medical school, but I have not yet (i.e. I just graduated.)

Thanks!

Does this question apply to students who have graduated from college and are applying now? I will have taken time off by the time I start medical school, but I have not yet (i.e. I just graduated.)

Thanks!

Thats a good Q, i just graduated too, but I am assuming that I would fall under the category of taking time off after college

Is it okay to draft the essays in word and copy/paste? It says not to, but I don't see any other way...

You know, if you're unsure as to whether or not copy/paste will work you can always paste something into the text field, save your progress and then refresh the page. All of my text came out fine.

I'm sure the school of medicine doesn't have a keystroke logger checking to make sure you actually typed. They likely want it to be typed in the field so there aren't any weird formatting issues when you submit it.

So the consensus is that its safe to copy and paste it from Notepad into the application?
Thanks

So the consensus is that its safe to copy and paste it from Notepad into the application?
Thanks

They literally tell you five times not to copy and paste. Why risk it?

The first 9 people who copy/paste will have it work like a charm and their application will be clean

All it takes is that 1 person who copy/pastes and messes up for people to realize that you should follow instructions

This. Just follow the instruction. Why would you risk your chances to save an hour or two of typing. Not even thinking folks, TRANSCRIBING.

anyone's status say something other than Application Complete-Under Review?

anyone's status say something other than Application Complete-Under Review?

Oh come on-----earlier post------Straight from NYU's website: "Interview invites begin September 15, 2011"

Last edited:
Oh come on-----earlier post------Straight from NYU's website: "Interview invites begin September 15, 2011"

I saw that. I wasn't asking if anyone got an interview, I was just wondering if there might be different statuses.

I saw that. I wasn't asking if anyone got an interview, I was just wondering if there might be different statuses.

What's the purpose? If you have that status, it can only be a good thing.

For the record, I am complete and have that email.

Status
Not open for further replies.