2011-2012 University of Pennsylvania Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As for Preview, last year wait listed students and accepted students came, so I can't see it being any different this year. We're in the process of planning some great events for it now.

Maybe waitlisted students will be invited later?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
How feasible would it be to get an MBA? Is there a connection with the business school that would facilitate admissions for medical students?

How feasible would it be to get an MBA? Is there a connection with the business school that would facilitate admissions for medical students?

It's one extra year and the admissions process is a little different for medical students applying to the healthcare MBA program.

As for Preview, last year wait listed students and accepted students came, so I can't see it being any different this year. We're in the process of planning some great events for it now.

Do you know how many wait listed students get invited/go to Preview, and if they tend to represent the majority of those accepted off the wait list?

/ have any wait listed MD-only applicants even been invited to preview this year?

I haven't been, but I called admissions last week to ask this question and they said that "unfortunately, only a small handful" of waitlisted students are invited to Penn Preview. I'm sure it's a good omen if you have the invite, but just because you don't have the invite, I don't think that means you don't have a shot at getting off the waitlist.

If we are waitlisted, do we still have to get fin aid forms in by April 9th (w2s, etc...)? We can't even complete the entire application unless we have an offer anyway, right?

If we are waitlisted, do we still have to get fin aid forms in by April 9th (w2s, etc...)? We can't even complete the entire application unless we have an offer anyway, right?

I emailed the financial aid office about this and was told to wait until accepted before sending any financial aid documents. Since I needed to file FAFSA/NeedAccess for other schools anyway, I indicated Penn on those.

Members don't see this ad :)
When do you guys think the financial aid will be available?

I hope soon... I really want to let go of some of my other acceptances so that others can get off waitlists sooner. Well I'm also very impatient ;) and I want to start looking for housing before all that is left is pizza crust.

When do you guys think the financial aid will be available?

oops nevermind, figured it out.

Last edited:
Have merit scholarships been awarded yet? Also, all of you should go to Preview! See you there!

Hmmm.. good question! The financial aid timeline says they are made in April. Would it make sense for them to release those before or after we get our regular financial aid offers?

From the website, if you click on the financial aid tab

"Awards are provided only to accepted students with complete documentation. Needs analysis and the generation of awards takes 7-14 days from completion. Official Award Notices will be mailed starting mid-April."

I think that answers some of our questions.

Ya, I am sweating this one out. If I don't get any money, I can't go here. I can't afford to take our $280,000 in loans. Especially with the ways healthcare is going to change over the next 20 years. Doctors will be making well less money. Think my parents probably make a little too much money for me to get needs based aid, but they are tapped out from paying for undergrad, and trying to save for a retirement. I think I may unfortunately be cooked.... but still hoping.

Does anyone know when the first day we need to be on campus is for next year?

on the website if you click on the accept tab, all the way at the bottom of the page is a link to the academic calendar which includes the white coat ceremony and the first day of classes, vacations, etc:
August 6-10 Monday-Friday Orientation (First Year)
August 10 Friday White Coat Ceremony (First Year) 3:00 pm
August 13 Monday Classes Begin (First Year) 8:00am

Merit awards soon I hope... anybody know if they give partial as well as full rides? Merit I'm talking, not needs based.

Ya... I saw that... $74,000 now. Does just about everybody get some aid or do some people actually borrow $300,000 ?? The financials are getting scary now that everything else is out of the way.

idk i think some ppl actually pay it all. it sure makes me afraid of ever having children... undergrad + med school if they went would be about 500,000 a piece...

Ya... I saw that... $74,000 now. Does just about everybody get some aid or do some people actually borrow $300,000 ?? The financials are getting scary now that everything else is out of the way.

How did you find out ?? I have a feeling I won't be attending Penn....

wait, you got an email telling you that u got essentially no aid??

No, I checked my status, and the amount of student need went from $71,xxx to $73,xxx. No mention of merit money, so I figure I was shut out. I'm also expecting that anybodies parents who make more than $100,000 are hosed as well. I may be wrong, but I might just be in the perfect storm... accepted, but can't go because my parents make too much (they paid for undergrad, so not paying for this), and I am not going to go $300,000 in debt.

But I may be surprised... but I have a bad feeling on this one man..... (Alien 2 quote)

yea, i hope they're generous otherwise it may be a no-go for me as well.

Does anyone know if we need to submit FAFSA, NeedAccess, Tax forms, etc. in order to be considered for the merit aid? Thanks!

Does anyone know if we need to submit FAFSA, NeedAccess, Tax forms, etc. in order to be considered for the merit aid? Thanks!

Are you asking whether the non-need-based merit scholarships are based on need?

Are you asking whether the non-need-based merit scholarships are based on need?
I understand they're not based on need, but can someone get offered a merit scholarship award if they haven't submitted in any forms? Not sure if the checklist on the Penn website refers to just need-based awards as it only says "Awards are provided only to accepted students with complete documentation." Maybe I'm reading too much into this :oops:. Thanks to anyone who knows the answer

"Awards are provided..." refers to need-based awards. You can receive merit awards without having completed financial aid documents.
Thanks! Guess this was a silly question :p

For those waiting to hear word from financial aid (including myself) let's just keep positive. Each and every accepted student is outstanding deserves a full ride, I personally would not want to be in the position of making that difficult decision. Whatever happens, remember that you got into UPENN which will provide you with so many opportunities. Remember those who didn't get into UPenn, or even those who didn't get into any medical school at all. Let's always remember to keep perspective and remain positive guys.

Wow... this thread is dead. Anybody else get aid info? I have heard nothing.

Wow... this thread is dead. Anybody else get aid info? I have heard nothing.

Nothing yet on my end. I was thinking about calling and asking when they think aid awards would go out, but I'm pretty lazy...Hopefully we hear something today.

Just called--they said all full merit scholarships have gone out, but that there are still a few partial merit scholarships that haven't been announced. It sounded like they would be released around the same time as the need-based packages, possibly next week, but by penn preview at the latest. Hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.