2012-2013 Loyola University (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's actually a good one to pre-write because you can use a lot of the answers for other schools' secondary.

Good deal. I've been slacking on some of my secondary essays.. really need to get going!

Members don't see this ad.

Haven't received this one yet. But the essays look like ones I've written a dozen times already, so shouldn't be too bad.

is loyola's website/application site down for anyone else?

edit: nvm got it. hOLY ethical question loyola! was not expecting that, though I like it much better than the "what do you hope to get out of medicine?" question

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if anyone else is having difficulty separating paragraphs, but I found that by inserting this in place of just pressing "return" will give me the desired newline character:

<br />

I am placing two of these between paragraphs.

Good luck to everyone!

Anyone else having issues uploading a photo? I have the right format and everything, but it wont let me click on my jpeg files.... frustrating. Suggestions?

Received secondary today. Don't think I've ever had a secondary arrive on a weekend before.

So, it seems a few have received the secondary now, huh? Looks like my break will be over soon...

This is a pretty beast secondary. Since they are not extending II until September, probably going to hold off on doing this right now.

Does anyone know what the screen was for getting a secondary?

This is a pretty beast secondary. Since they are not extending II until September, probably going to hold off on doing this right now.
Wait, so if we didn't get one now, we won't get on until September?

Members don't see this ad :)
So the limit of 25 lines per question....is that 25 lines when composed in Word, or 25 lines when pasted into their secondary boxes? The box sizes on the secondary are adjustable, which would change the number of lines....

I have this same question, and also, does AMCAS Letter Service make sure our names and AMCAS ID are on all our letters of rec that we uploaded through them? Because I'm 100% sure my letter writers did not put my AMCAS ID on my letters...

Not too high. I got one on the 19th, and I'm pretty average. (Check my MDapps.)

I'm going to guess that they started sending them out bit by bit later this week, and that no one will get anything today. Probably will start seeing a bunch more tomorrow. Their screens are very low for secondaries (maybe 3.0/25 variety).

I have this same question, and also, does AMCAS Letter Service make sure our names and AMCAS ID are on all our letters of rec that we uploaded through them? Because I'm 100% sure my letter writers did not put my AMCAS ID on my letters...

If they were uploaded on AMCAS (and not interfolio) it shouldn't be a problem. The AMCAS ID on the letter is mostly so AMCAS can identify which application to upload it to. Schools don't care so long as it gets sent to them by AMCAS.

Submitted just now.
Not too bad of a secondary at all IMHO.

How long were your essays? I'm just wondering how you figured out what "25 lines" should be.

Ugh, is it so hard to just give us a character or word limit...

How long were your essays? I'm just wondering how you figured out what "25 lines" should be.

Ugh, is it so hard to just give us a character or word limit...

Agreed, although, if you press "Print my Application", then the application comes up. I had like 35ish-40ish lines when typing it in, but the printed application had like 25ish.

I keep on seeing references to this "Letter of Recommendation Inventory Form." Where do we see or fill out this form? Is it available in one of the later stages of submitting the secondary? I'm confused, I would appreciate some help.

I keep on seeing references to this "Letter of Recommendation Inventory Form." Where do we see or fill out this form? Is it available in one of the later stages of submitting the secondary? I'm confused, I would appreciate some help.
This is what my status says:

As of today, Sunday, July 22, 2012, your application status is:

Application status:

We have received your supplemental application. We ask that you please allow at least one month for downloading letters and completion of your file. Thank you.

I interpret this to mean that no further action on my part is required. The references to a letters inventory may be some legacy reference to a recently changed application procedure?

So I don't have a non-science faculty LOR, and the supplemental instructions said to explain in the Letter of Rec Inventory Form. Does anyone know where on the form I'm supposed to mention this?

I interpret this to mean that no further action on my part is required. The references to a letters inventory may be some legacy reference to a recently changed application procedure?

So I guess there is no LOR inventory form? If anyone else knows of such a form please let me know.

So I guess there is no LOR inventory form? If anyone else knows of such a form please let me know.

Before you submit your secondary the last page is the LOR inventory form. It asks you to select between committee letter or 2 science faculty + 1 non-science faculty.

Before you submit your secondary the last page is the LOR inventory form. It asks you to select between committee letter or 2 science faculty + 1 non-science faculty.

Oh got it, thanks.

So on question #9, where they ask if we permit them to notify our academic adviser of decisions on our application, does anyone know if we are penalized for answering "no?" I'm a non-trad and it just seems a little strange/irrelevant to me to notify my academic adviser, who I rarely used and don't even know if they are still the adviser at my school.

Thoughts anyone?

So on question #9, where they ask if we permit them to notify our academic adviser of decisions on our application, does anyone know if we are penalized for answering "no?" I'm a non-trad and it just seems a little strange/irrelevant to me to notify my academic adviser, who I rarely used and don't even know if they are still the adviser at my school.

Thoughts anyone?

I've always said no on this, and I would HOPE you don't get penalized. I don't think you would though, I think universities might just like to hear where some of their students end up, so medical schools will ask.

I haven't gotten it, but for those who have it, how are you answering the "diversity" question. I have plenty of experiences in that regard, but I'm using it as an opportunity to talk in general about my volunteer experiences. However, I feel like that's not what the question is asking for, and I'm wasting time talking about my volunteer experiences when it's already on the AMCAS. Any advice?

I haven't gotten it, but for those who have it, how are you answering the "diversity" question. I have plenty of experiences in that regard, but I'm using it as an opportunity to talk in general about my volunteer experiences. However, I feel like that's not what the question is asking for, and I'm wasting time talking about my volunteer experiences when it's already on the AMCAS. Any advice?

Answering that was pretty easy for me. I spent a summer in S. Africa studying and volunteering :p

Anyone else having issues uploading a photo? I have the right format and everything, but it wont let me click on my jpeg files.... frustrating. Suggestions?

I am having the same issue. Has anyone dealt with this?

I use a windows PC and originally the file-selector that pops up defaults to uploading GIFs. I had to change the dropdown to make it show "All Files" in order to select my jpegs

Thoughts anyone?

I answered NO on my application last year and didn't have any problems. Don't worry about it.

Has everyone received the secondary that applied for one?

Has everyone received the secondary that applied for one?
I have.. The email address that sends them has the word auto in it and I got mine on Saturday morning, so I'm going to assume it's computer generated. I'm sure yours is coming!

Woohoo secondary received.

I don't have 0's in the beginning of my amcas ID...?

Guys for the next to last prompt, did you write significantly less?

I found it hard to fill up even 15 lines, and I read up on some ethics and discussed both sides etc.

I had 22-25 for the first 3...

Status
Not open for further replies.