2012-2013 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I meant if you're in the area for one medical school interview and have also applied to another school in the same area but haven't heard back from them yet. So I should send that second school an email early on about when I'll be in the area?

Up to you. I'm doing it because I applied to at least 3-4 schools in NYC, and then a few more in NY state. I'm going to be in brooklyn for Downstate and don't really want to fly out to NY from CA multiple times ($300+ each time o_O) My email basically tells them I'm going to be there, and then I also say that I'm not requesting an interview but if they want to bring me in it would be nice to schedule it around my trip. However, I also tell them that if it doesn't work out, I'd be happy to come out again. The schools can do what they want with your update email--I figure it's kind of like a type of update letter--they just add it to your file and it may/may not help.

Members don't see this ad.

Up to you. I'm doing it because I applied to at least 3-4 schools in NYC, and then a few more in NY state. I'm going to be in brooklyn for Downstate and don't really want to fly out to NY from CA multiple times ($300+ each time o_O) My email basically tells them I'm going to be there, and then I also say that I'm not requesting an interview but if they want to bring me in it would be nice to schedule it around my trip. However, I also tell them that if it doesn't work out, I'd be happy to come out again. The schools can do what they want with your update email--I figure it's kind of like a type of update letter--they just add it to your file and it may/may not help.

Got it. Thanks so much for the info!

Members don't see this ad :)
Application is currently under review...hope i hear back soon

How long does it take the committee to look and assess your application as "completed?"

still not complete.............should i call?

if you do let us know what they say! I'm still waiting but giving them a bit more time because my letters are not typical since I'm non-trad

if you do let us know what they say! I'm still waiting but giving them a bit more time because my letters are not typical since I'm non-trad

+1...though I'm not a non-trad. But submitted 8/6 and still not complete

Members don't see this ad :)
same here.........submitted 8/3

so it doesn't even list the letters as received... even though they are uploaded to amcas, I'm assuming it just takes time on their end to process everything - but is this what others are saying when they are referring to not being complete? Or does it say not complete? The status page is a little sloppy looking..

That's what they mean when they say they're not complete yet.

How long does it take for the secondary application to get processed? the fee was received on the 7th.. No word on if they received my secondary app yet

Got an interview invitation today! :)

I only see dates available for September but I would like to interview later on (End of Oct/Earl Nov). Does anyone know if other dates show-up if you just wait? Or should I actually go ahead and call/email them?

Got an interview invitation today! :)

I only see dates available for September but I would like to interview later on (End of Oct/Earl Nov). Does anyone know if other dates show-up if you just wait? Or should I actually go ahead and call/email them?

Congrats! Stats? And I would call them. It gives them less of a chance to "overlook" your query.

Sent from my LT28at using SDN Mobile

i have a random question. if i get sick a few days before a scheduled interview date will schools allow me to resched?

Congrats! Stats? And I would call them. It gives them less of a chance to "overlook" your query.

Sent from my LT28at using SDN Mobile

Stats are in the 3.40-3.60 GPA, 30-32 MCAT range (don't want to get too specific tho!).

Thanks for the tip. I will call them tomorrow probably

Stats are in the 3.40-3.60 GPA, 30-32 MCAT range (don't want to get too specific tho!).

Just out of curiosity, why do many people alter their GPA or MCAT scores, or hide them? It can't be for anonymity. People don't say, "a 32R and a 3.7, that must be Mike Smith!" or something. Is there another reason?

Just out of curiosity, why do many people alter their GPA or MCAT scores, or hide them? It can't be for anonymity. People don't say, "a 32R and a 3.7, that must be Mike Smith!" or something. Is there another reason?

Well, that can certainly help narrow it down immensely. That combined with other things he or she may post on here, why take the risk?

Let me put it this way for you... THIS IS ALL FROM YOUR MDAPPS PROFILE: You went to Binghamton University, Majored in Biology, submitted your AMCAS on 7/5, cGPA 3.86, sGPA 3.82, MCAT 31 (10-11-11), your first name is probably Zach and you were born in 1990. My guess, your permanent adress may also be in the state of New York. If all that info in your med apps is correct it would be extremely easy for a med school to find you. Even if they didn't have you first name and birth year, highly unlikely someone is applying with exactly your states from that university....

The likelihood someone from the adcom is on sdnlooking for you personally, and finding something that would make them not like you? Small. But I'm sure it's happened at least once before.

I submitted my AMCAS on August 9th, so obviously it is going to be a while until I am complete. But I already received NYCOM's secondary - is there any benefit to just filling it out and turning it in before I am even verified? Or should I just wait and submit it the day my AMCAS goes out?

Let me put it this way for you... THIS IS ALL FROM YOUR MDAPPS PROFILE: You went to Binghamton University, Majored in Biology, submitted your AMCAS on 7/5, cGPA 3.86, sGPA 3.82, MCAT 31 (10-11-11), your first name is probably Zach and you were born in 1990. My guess, your permanent adress may also be in the state of New York. If all that info in your med apps is correct it would be extremely easy for a med school to find you. Even if they didn't have you first name and birth year, highly unlikely someone is applying with exactly your states from that university....

The likelihood someone from the adcom is on sdnlooking for you personally, and finding something that would make them not like you? Small. But I'm sure it's happened at least once before.
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is an MDapps profile??? Is it on SDN or is it a different site....

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is an MDapps profile??? Is it on SDN or is it a different site....

It is a separate site that is linked with SDN in that SDN users can link their profiles.

i submitted my amcas on august 9th, so obviously it is going to be a while until i am complete. But i already received nycom's secondary - is there any benefit to just filling it out and turning it in before i am even verified? Or should i just wait and submit it the day my amcas goes out?

>nycom

Personally, I don't post anything on here I wouldn't feel comfortable having adcoms or people that know me see. So anonymity on sdn isn't too important IMO if you post responsibly. If you want to post ridiculous comments then definitely try to stay anonymous. Just my opinion though

Personally, I don't post anything on here I wouldn't feel comfortable having adcoms or people that know me see. So anonymity on sdn isn't too important IMO if you post responsibly. If you want to post ridiculous comments then definitely try to stay anonymous. Just my opinion though

+1

I also think we really overestimate how much adcoms pay attention to these forums. Unless you have >1000 post count (someone like NickNaylor that everyone recognizes), or are an obvious troll dumb enough to post your actual info, no adcom is going to compile your personal information with their impression of your posts and then try to match it to one of their 7000 applications. That would be a huge waste of very limited time.

TLDR: don't be an idiot, and no one cares.

Sorry! I am an idiot and obviously did not mean NYCOM!

Didn't mean to make you feel like an idiot, I just wasnt sure if you meant AMCAS+NYMC or AACOMAS+NYCOM.

But really... the advantage of doing it earlier is having it done, right? Certainly couldnt hurt.

Thanks for the input guys. I guess it's a good thing I don't go typing in things like "Medschoolsuckzballz" and stuff on SDN. Oh wait...

LOL well I guess I will be the trial dummy. If an ADCOM sees my SDN profile and looks at it unfavorably, I'll let you guys know.

Also, I lol'd at NYCOM. I thought I was in the wrong thread somehow. =]

Thanks for the input guys. I guess it's a good thing I don't go typing in things like "Medschoolsuckzballz" and stuff on SDN. Oh wait...

LOL well I guess I will be the trial dummy. If an ADCOM sees my SDN profile and looks at it unfavorably, I'll let you guys know.

I'm right there with you. I'm 100% identifiable if someone was really motivated, but I think the potential benefit to other users seeing how I'm doing to compare to their own makes it worth the risk. I know I really appreciate when people post their actual stats so I can gauge my progress.

I'm right there with you. I'm 100% identifiable if someone was really motivated, but I think the potential benefit to other users seeing how I'm doing to compare to their own makes it worth the risk. I know I really appreciate when people post their actual stats so I can gauge my progress.

Agreed. Though I'd be much happier if I had either one of your MCAT scores! =]

I like this game! Will trade publication for two tenths of a GPA point or a musical/athletic skill.

I'll trade my piano skills but dont even ask for my ukelele or mandolin talent! Do you want cGPA or sGPA? The sGPA is more expensive.

How long does it take for the admissions office to receive the secondary? I sent it in on August 3 and my status has not changed. It says that they have my fee waiver request but nothing about receiving a secondary or letters.

Can anyone who goes here talk about the functional distance from NYC and if the possibility of living in Manhattan exist during 3rd or 4th year?

Quick question, how long does it take the secondary application be completed/submitted/for them to look at? Submitted my secondary on 8/9 and letters still show up as blank, and I'm starting to get really worried considering the guy I quoted right \|/ submitted on August 3 :eek:

How long does it take for the admissions office to receive the secondary? I sent it in on August 3 and my status has not changed. It says that they have my fee waiver request but nothing about receiving a secondary or letters.

EDIT: Also in regards to the letters, if you only have science letters, I called them in earlier (I know this is super late for some of us, hopefully all of us are done submitting!) and they stated that its okay to apply with just science letters, but your application WILL BE considered weaker (I never really got this though). Just an fyi! Good luck to all those applying/interviewing!

Last edited:
** Your Secondary Application was completed on 08/07/2012 and is currently under review. **

All LORs were received on 08/07, Your application fee, or fee waiver request, was received on 08/04/2012.

MMI Interview! I got an email that directed me to a link where I was able to choose from a list of interview dates only in September. I submitted my secondary application August 3rd. Good luck everyone!!

Status
Not open for further replies.