2012-2013 University of Chicago (Pritzker) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the possible post-interview decisions (I'm talking about the initial update)? I know about accepted and continued, but do they do outright rejections as well?

Rejections do happen but very seldom.

(sent from my phone)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Welp, finally sent off an update/LOI (I was continued in October). This school is still a pretty big reach for me, but we'll see what happens!

Isn't the adcom supposed to meet this week as well (they met two weeks ago)? The twitter account has not posted an update about this...

November interview & have not heard back yet

EDIT: They just posted it on twitter! more decisions this week. fingers crossed

Last edited:
This is my first ever post on Student Doctor Network! I couldn't take the nervousness of waiting to hear back, and the bursting desire to get accepted to Pritzker made me make an account just so I can make this profound proclamation!

I love you Pritzker. We would be soooo good together!! I have visited numerous other schools, yet my heart still belongs to you! Please accept me!! :love:

P.S. I am glad there was no requirement to use your real name as username...: ):luck:

In all seriousness, I really really really hope I get in....:scared:

Edit: eek! too embarassed!

Last edited:
This is my first ever post on Student Doctor Network! I couldn't take the nervousness of waiting to hear back, and the bursting desire to get accepted to Pritzker made me make an account just so I can make this profound proclamation!

I love you Pritzker. We would be soooo good together!! I have visited numerous other schools, yet my heart still belongs to you! Please accept me!! :love:

P.S. I am glad there was no requirement to use your real name as username...: ):luck:

+1 to the hoping :D

If you don't make your username your real name, how will Pritzker recognize your unbridled excitement and passionate love for their institution! :p They have a special team in the admissions office that deals exclusive with Student Doctor Network and other online forums--it's part of the recruiting process :rofl:

Best of luck, maybe you'll hear back this week after they meet!!!

Yep, I know that feel :oops:

If you don't make your username your real name, how will Pritzker recognize your unbridled excitement and passionate love for their institution! :p They have a special team in the admissions office that deals exclusive with Student Doctor Network and other online forums--it's part of the recruiting process :rofl:

I can confirm this - I'm the team. :laugh: Not really, have no fear - a couple of the admissions staff do check SDN somewhat regularly to address any questions/concerns that people are having, but they aren't trying to figure out who people are or anything like that.

I know the waiting sucks for everyone, but stay strong! I'm sure the office is trying to be as expeditious as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't the adcom supposed to meet this week as well (they met two weeks ago)? The twitter account has not posted an update about this...

November interview & have not heard back yet

EDIT: They just posted it on twitter! more decisions this week. fingers crossed

any news today?

Last edited:
any news today anyone!??!!

Usually the Acceptance Call to SDN (mean ACS) time is approximately 12 minutes (time to run around house, call parents, call significant other, text best friend, post on Facebook, and click into bookmarks because SDN is clearly your top bookmark), so I assume no calls went out last night or this morning.

Oh heck who am I kidding, all of those come after posting on SDN. Mean ACS time of 12 seconds. :p

Usually the Acceptance Call to SDN (mean ACS) time is approximately 12 minutes (time to run around house, call parents, call significant other, text best friend, post on Facebook, and click into bookmarks because SDN is clearly your top bookmark), so I assume no calls went out last night or this morning.

Oh heck who am I kidding, all of those come after posting on SDN. Mean ACS time of 12 seconds. :p

True story..I may have been posting on SDN while calling my parents..:laugh:

My eyes hurt from using peripheral vision to check my phone all day long. It is 8PM over in Chicago already, so I think I can finally rest my eyes..,? hahaha

I may seriously develop the opposite of cross eye. I am sure there is a medical term for it, and based on how prompt and smart our sdn users are, there will probably someone posting an answer to this in about 12 seconds. Seems to be the magic numbah hehe

My eyes hurt from using peripheral vision to check my phone all day long. It is 8PM over in Chicago already, so I think I can finally rest my eyes..,? hahaha

I may seriously develop the opposite of cross eye. I am sure there is a medical term for it, and based on how prompt and smart our sdn users are, there will probably someone posting an answer to this in about 12 seconds. Seems to be the magic numbah

strabismus exotropia

sorry for the delayed response :p

i guess maybe tomorrow for those who haven't heard? they're catching on to SDN and trying to be unpredictable!

So nothing this week so far? I was starting to think that biweekly decisions from Pritzker were right up there with death and taxes...

The twitter said more decisions this week. Maybe they will wait for Monday to make the calls?

That is kind of awkward. I got a letter in the mail when I got continued.

Just got the call saying I've been continued.

Awkward.

Are you a MSTP applicant? The office doesn't call MD applicants to notify them that they've been continued and MSTP applicants are notified by phone that they're continued only rarely.

To others, if you are a MD applicant then you will NOT receive a call to tell you that you're continued, so you shouldn't be expecting that.

(sent from my phone)

Did anyone else get a Crimson Pritzker scrub top with weekend? I am seriously impressed with the marketing tactics of UChicago!

Happy Valentine's everyone! Here's hoping Pritzker shares some love with us :love: and soon!

Nick Naylor (or other Pritzker students):

Is the "required disparities course" the same thing as the "Social Context of Medicine" course? When I visited, my student host was talking about payment reform and pay-for-performance, and I think it was due to the Social Context of Medicine course. He said he had to write essay responses to questions and the instructor writes feedback on their papers. What course is that? I know that's random.

Nick Naylor (or other Pritzker students):

Is the "required disparities course" the same thing as the "Social Context of Medicine" course? When I visited, my student host was talking about payment reform and pay-for-performance, and I think it was due to the Social Context of Medicine course. He said he had to write essay responses to questions and the instructor writes feedback on their papers. What course is that? I know that's random.

No, the two courses are distinct. The disparities course tends to focus on inquality in healthcare availability, access, and delivery. It emphasizes those issues as they exist in the Chicago area, but it's not limited to just Chicago.

Social Context of Medicine is essentially a course that discusses how the healthcare system actually works. You learn a little bit about how insurance works, what Medicare/Medicaid actually are, how physician services are reimbursed, and, perhaps most interestingly, why the system sucks and what can be done to improve it. The guy who teaches it (Dr. Abbo) is a MD/JD with a strong interest in policy, so it's pretty interesting. I'll admit that it gets a little dry because... well, this stuff can be boring at times, but it's extremely important information IMO.

Hope that helps!

so whats the best thing to do if one is continued -- anyone know of people getting in before May if they are continued

so whats the best thing to do if one is continued -- anyone know of people getting in before May if they are continued

Yep--if you go back about a page or so, there are a few people who got in off of the continued list :)

Send in updates if you have them. These are important in figuring out who comes off of the waitlist, especially later on.

(sent from my phone)

Any news this week? Haven't seen an acceptance on here in a while...

Any news this week? Haven't seen an acceptance on here in a while...

I'm wondering if, since they're done with interviews, they're using these past couple meetings to try to finalize everything before sending out a big batch of notifications. Does anyone know if that's how they've done it in the past?

Maybe SDN has just been going through a dry spell...

Posted on their twitter feed 2/20: "Admissions update: Our exec committee meets again this week. Good luck to everyone."

:xf: for good news!!!!

Posted on their twitter feed 2/20: "Admissions update: Our exec committee meets again this week. Good luck to everyone."

:xf: for good news!!!!

+1 :xf: Such an amazing school with a family-like atmosphere

Status
Not open for further replies.