2012-2013 University of Chicago (Pritzker) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oh okay, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Is it possible for people to move from Continued > Accepted between now and May 15th?

Is it possible for people to move from Continued > Accepted between now and May 15th?

Definitely - in fact, activity will likely pick up on that front as people begin making their decisions to attend elsewhere. Not guaranteed by any means, but definitely more likely moving ahead.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tomorrow marks week 11 since my interview day. I think it is clear at this point I have been 'continued'. Without receiving any official word would it be acceptable for me to send an update letter? Is there a preferred method/format for such a letter?

Sorry if this had already been mentioned in this thread, I can only read through it so many times...

Tomorrow marks week 11 since my interview day. I think it is clear at this point I have been 'continued'. Without receiving any official word would it be acceptable for me to send an update letter? Is there a preferred method/format for such a letter?

Sorry if this had already been mentioned in this thread, I can only read through it so many times...

I would wait until you receive a formal update on your status before sending in an update letter, but that's just me and I suppose it doesn't matter all that much.

I would recommend talking about why you would be a good fit at Pritzker and why you think Pritzker specifically would help you reach whatever your career goals are. Fit is very important here, so if you can make s good case on that front it will probably be viewed positively. Obviously any events that have happened since you applied (activities, pubs, awards, etc.) would also be appropriate to mention.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717

I interviewed mid-October, and didn't hear about my acceptance until late January, so my wait time was around 13-14 weeks. I was getting anxious (another institution had misplaced my app post-interview), and so I called after about 11 weeks. They very kindly explained that the delay was strictly due to the volume of applications they were reviewing, and how much time they spent reviewing each one.

Thinking about all the fun at Pritzker's second look is giving me goosebumps (good ones)!:D

has anyone been accepted from continuing recently?!

I don't think anyone has reported that on here yet. Keep in mind the FB group now has over 1.5X the class size at this point. So I guess continued folks will come into play perhaps if they ever drop down below 88? *le sigh*

I don't think anyone has reported that on here yet. Keep in mind the FB group now has over 1.5X the class size at this point. So I guess continued folks will come into play perhaps if they ever drop down below 88? *le sigh*

A lot of members in the FB group actually are current students being there to answer our questions.

A lot of members in the FB group actually are current students being there to answer our questions.

I stand corrected then. But there are probably >88 accepted. Which is understandable at this point in the cycle. We just have to be patient that's all :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I stand corrected then. But there are probably >88 accepted. Which is understandable at this point in the cycle. We just have to be patient that's all :)

Of course there are over 88 accepted. More than 90 people are going to revisit as of now from what ive heard

According to their Twitter, another committee meeting is next week! Yes!!!! Hoping for something good!!

Well maybe I'll find something out soon... it's been 12 weeks since my interview.

:sleep:
I interviewed on September 24th. So this is the... 27th? 28th week? Still waiting after being continued... ><

Just withdrew. To those still waiting: Good luck! To those who are matriculating: Have a great four years! Maybe I'll see you during residency.

Could someone (NickNaylor?) PM me a phone number of the admissions office I could call to ask about my application?. It's been 13 weeks and I haven't received any information. Perhaps I entered my address incorrectly during the beginning of the interview day and my continued letter was lost in the mail a while ago.

I tried calling a number found on the website but it said the number was a non-working number...

Thanks for the help.

Could someone (NickNaylor?) PM me a phone number of the admissions office I could call to ask about my application?. It's been 13 weeks and I haven't received any information. Perhaps I entered my address incorrectly during the beginning of the interview day and my continued letter was lost in the mail a while ago.

I tried calling a number found on the website but it said the number was a non-working number...

Thanks for the help.

If you haven't already, try this one: (773) 702-1937. I believe that's the admissions office general phone number. Best of luck to you. Let us know how it goes!

EDIT: I'm pretty sure the admissions committee met this week for one of the last meetings of the year, so you should def get a decision within the next week.

Thanks for the help.

In addition to the above, you can also email Dr. Charles Todd directly, who works at the admissions office, and he can find out what's going on. His email address is ctodd(at)bsd.uchicago.edu.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Do the adcom call everyone they accept, or do some people just receive letters? Not sure if they are or will call their latest acceptances, or if they're too busy organizing second look to call this go round...

Do the adcom call everyone they accept, or do some people just receive letters? Not sure if they are or will call their latest acceptances, or if they're too busy organizing second look to call this go round...

You should get a call.

Sent from my Nexus 7

did calls go out last week, or are they going out this week?

I'd assume they went out last week since that's when their meeting was, but I don't know for sure. I'm also waiting, but I'm guessing there will be a huge wave of continued letters coming our way though... Hasn't been an SDN acceptance in a while.

I'd assume they went out last week since that's when their meeting was, but I don't know for sure. I'm also waiting, but I'm guessing there will be a huge wave of continued letters coming our way though... Hasn't been an SDN acceptance in a while.

Just got off the phone with the admissions office. The last executive committee meeting was last week, and all of the phone calls to accepted students were made by Friday. Everyone else should expect a continued letter in the mail soon, and movement from that list will begin May 15 if their class drops below 88 students.

Kind of disappointing but not unexpected after this long. I loved my interview day and will be sticking this one out until the end.

Got mine too, interviewed early Jan. I'm in this for the long haul, Pritzker :)

I interviewed mid-October and was continued mid-December. I had the pleasure of chatting with a member of the admissions committee about a month ago, and I have some information that other continued students may find useful. This person did not ask me to keep his/her identity a secret; I just don't want this paraphrased information to be connected to him/her as it came from a conversation and could have been misunderstood.

As of about a month ago, Pritzker had admitted ~180 students for next year's class. The admissions committee was looking to accept a few more students within the next few weeks (around April 1), including students from the last interview days. Around that same time, Pritzker would find out where every admitted student had been accepted and could decide, based on that information, whether to admit any more continued students. Last year, Pritzker made about 220 offers, but the person with whom I spoke made it seem like that number would not be reached this year.

The admissions committee member also told me that last year, no students were accepted off the wait list. That is, they had 88 students at the beginning of the summer, and those same 88 students were all still in the class at the end of the summer. This was unlike previous years, in which several students were accepted off the wait list.

Anyone care to share impressions from Second Look? :)

It was pretty awesome and surpassed my expectations quite a bit. The best part was meeting a TON of faculty and students. I got the feeling that the administration is VERY supportive and really value their medical students. The other revisit-ers were great too, after meeting a ton of them, I question how I got in....:laugh:

Haha ok that probably wasn't helpful...but I don't know what else to say unless you want details on everything we did :p

I interviewed mid-October and was continued mid-December. I had the pleasure of chatting with a member of the admissions committee about a month ago...This was unlike previous years, in which several students were accepted off the wait list.

I'm confused, did you write this post about a month ago and wait now to post it?

I interviewed mid-October and was continued mid-December. I had the pleasure of chatting with a member of the admissions committee about a month ago, and I have some information that other continued students may find useful. This person did not ask me to keep his/her identity a secret; I just don't want this paraphrased information to be connected to him/her as it came from a conversation and could have been misunderstood.

As of about a month ago, Pritzker had admitted ~180 students for next year's class. The admissions committee was looking to accept a few more students within the next few weeks (around April 1), including students from the last interview days. Around that same time, Pritzker would find out where every admitted student had been accepted and could decide, based on that information, whether to admit any more continued students. Last year, Pritzker made about 220 offers, but the person with whom I spoke made it seem like that number would not be reached this year.

The admissions committee member also told me that last year, no students were accepted off the wait list. That is, they had 88 students at the beginning of the summer, and those same 88 students were all still in the class at the end of the summer. This was unlike previous years, in which several students were accepted off the wait list.

Don't know specifics about the other numbers, but I can confirm that last year was an unusual year due to no students being accepted from the waitlist. Obviously it's impossible to predict what will happen this year, but in the past there has generally been a not insignificant number of people accepted from the waitlist each year.

And glad you had a good time Tots. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7

Thanks Tots for your impression - that's my impression of the faculty too. And thanks peacenlove/NN for the info - hopefully we will see some waitlist movement this year!

I'm confused, did you write this post about a month ago and wait now to post it?

I haven't been on this thread in the past month, but I happened to take a look last night and there seemed to be a lot of confusion/uncertainty about the chances of continued students getting in at this point, so I decided to share what I learned from my conversation in case it might be helpful for someone.

has any post-interview students been rejected from this school, or are applicants who are not directly accepted continued?

has any post-interview students been rejected from this school, or are applicants who are not directly accepted continued?
The later. Very few are outright rejected at this stage.

I was continued back in October and I just withdrew my application. Good luck to everyone still holding out! Chicago is a fun city, but I'm happy to avoid those midwest winters I keep hearing about.

Withdrew my acceptance today. Moving closer to final decisions. Good luck to all you waiting! Great school!

any evidence from last year of waitlist moving BEFORE may 15th?

There is no waitlist before then; everyone is in the continued pool until they make the list sometime after May 15. I'm under the impression that they're holding out until then, but maybe they didn't pull anyone from the waitlist last year because they had pulled continued students before May 15 instead. I could envision one last batch of "continued" acceptances after the 15th before the waitlist is made...

They certainly have the longest, most complicated admissions processes I've encountered :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.