2012-2013 University of Chicago (Pritzker) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt that all of the acceptances have gone out, though that time is likely coming pretty soon since Revisit Weekend is a little over a month away. I imagine that the office would like to give accepted students enough time to be able to make arrangements to come visit the campus.

This total speculation on my part so take it for what it's worth. That said, do remember that historically each class is composed of a not insignificant number of people that were continued and then accepted. Obviously each year is different, but even if all the acceptances have gone out, it is likely that more will be handed out as people withdraw and make their final decisions. As with the last statement, this is pure speculation, so take it for what it's worth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717

Members don't see this ad.

Just out of curiosity, how did the chat go? What did you guys talk about? (if you don't mind sharing, of course :laugh:)

The chat was great, lets see if I can remember what we talked about. We talked about:

Chicago winters(I am going to freeze)
Needing a car(plenty of people get by without one)
Where students live(mostly hyde park but people do commute from south loop and other places)
Revist(Bowling!)
Curriculum
Clinical experience in the first 2 years
What M1s like about the school(universally agreed that they are surprised how supportive the administration is)
and...awesome food in Hyde Park and Chicago.(Apparently we need to try Valois?)

I doubt that all of the acceptances have gone out, though that time is likely coming pretty soon since Revisit Weekend is a little over a month away. I imagine that the office would like to give accepted students enough time to be able to make arrangements to come visit the campus.

This total speculation on my part so take it for what it's worth. That said, do remember that historically each class is composed of a not insignificant number of people that were continued and then accepted. Obviously each year is different, but even if all the acceptances have gone out, it is likely that more will be handed out as people withdraw and make their final decisions. As with the last statement, this is pure speculation, so take it for what it's worth.

Super helpful as always - thanks! Really hoping that you're right about more acceptances going out soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
can any current students comment on what second look was like, / how it helped you decide etc?

can any current students comment on what second look was like, / how it helped you decide etc?

It's an absolute blast. The faculty and staff treat you like royalty, and you have a very fun time with other prospective students, current students, and even faculty. I attended another second look after Pritzker's, but I knew as soon as the Pritzker weekend was over that I would be coming here.

It's an absolute blast. The faculty and staff treat you like royalty, and you have a very fun time with other prospective students, current students, and even faculty. I attended another second look after Pritzker's, but I knew as soon as the Pritzker weekend was over that I would be coming here.

I am so excited for the Pritzker revisit event! It sounds like its a blast!

I am so excited for the Pritzker revisit event! It sounds like its a blast!

Also super excited! :thumbup:

I'm being intentionally vague about the events as I don't want to say for sure that some things are happening when they may not, but rest assured that if you come for the weekend you'll have an absolute blast while getting some great insight into the culture of the school and what it means to train at Pritzker.

For those of you who have been sending in the financial aid documents, are you getting a confirmation email from the financial aid office stating they have received all your documents? I was just wondering if no confirmation was normal or if I should call the office. Thank you in advance!

Are rejections updated on the portal? I interviewed the first week of Dec, but I haven't heard a single thing from Pritzker yet. Nothing in the mail either, so I was thinking that my rejection or continued letter must have gotten lost. I'm not sure if I should call and ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are rejections updated on the portal? I interviewed the first week of Dec, but I haven't heard a single thing from Pritzker yet. Nothing in the mail either, so I was thinking that my rejection or continued letter must have gotten lost. I'm not sure if I should call and ask.

No, they aren't. I would call and ask, that's quite a long time. You likely won't get much useful info but you never know.

If we're on the continued list, should we send in our or our parents' 2012 taxes? I already did the FAFSA a while ago (and need access).

No, they aren't. I would call and ask, that's quite a long time. You likely won't get much useful info but you never know.

A quick update on those still waiting from the omnipresent admissions staff...

-At this point, decisions will likely take 9-10 weeks (perhaps more). The 6-8 weeks that is stated on the website and perhaps during the interview day applies more to the earlier points in the cycle. The committee only reviews so many files at each meeting, so as you might expect things tend to be a little backloaded as more and more files are queued for review.

-If you haven't heard anything after 11-12 weeks, then you're encouraged to contact the admissions office.

-Finally, more reassurance that these wait times are an artifact of not being able to go through files quickly enough and are not based on the strength/weakness of your app! There are also other factors that might cause your specific file to take longer - sometimes interviewers take longer than they should to submit evaluations, meaning you may get a decision after people that have interviewed at the same time as, or even after, you. Rest assured that a longer or short wait time by no means predicts the final decision that you will receive.

Hope that helps.

-At this point, decisions will likely take 9-10 weeks (perhaps more). The 6-8 weeks that is stated on the website and perhaps during the interview day applies more to the earlier points in the cycle. The committee only reviews so many files at each meeting, so as you might expect things tend to be a little backloaded as more and more files are queued for review.

-If you haven't heard anything after 11-12 weeks, then you're encouraged to contact the admissions office.

-Finally, more reassurance that these wait times are an artifact of not being able to go through files quickly enough and are not based on the strength/weakness of your app! There are also other factors that might cause your specific file to take longer - sometimes interviewers take longer than they should to submit evaluations, meaning you may get a decision after people that have interviewed at the same time as, or even after, you. Rest assured that a longer or short wait time by no means predicts the final decision that you will receive.

Hope that helps.

NickNaylor,

I was continued about a month ago. I've since submitted an update letter. I guess there's nothing else do but wait? When do people know that they've been officially rejected? After May 15th? Thanks!

NickNaylor,

I was continued about a month ago. I've since submitted an update letter. I guess there's nothing else do but wait? When do people know that they've been officially rejected? After May 15th? Thanks!

Generally activity picks up around April or May as final decisions are made. You are never rejected; if you are continued and do not withdraw, you will be added to the waitlist automatically.

So it looks like it may be a bit more difficult for us late interviewees to attend Second Look (that is, if we get accepted =/). Oh well, fingers crossed still for good news !!!

What's Pritzker's application?

Rather than using NeedAccess or something similar Pritzker has its own app. If it hasn't been mentioned to you before then don't worry about filling it out. It might be that only accepted students fill it out, I'm not sure. Definitely do send your FAFSA though.

Rather than using NeedAccess or something similar Pritzker has its own app. If it hasn't been mentioned to you before then don't worry about filling it out. It might be that only accepted students fill it out, I'm not sure. Definitely do send your FAFSA though.

Their instructions say to fill out Need Access.

according to http://pritzker.uchicago.edu/admissions/financialaid/process.shtml
we do fill out the need access. and the fafsa - i think the need access just has pritzker specific questions if i'm remembering correctly....
Yeah, there were a few specific questions for Pritzker on the Need Access application.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the update!

Hope that helps.

Thanks! Hoping for good news soon.

Thanks! Hoping for good news soon.

Pritzker is the last school I've yet to hear back from after an early-January interview... here's hoping for another round of decisions and some good news this week! :luck:

Pritzker is the last school I've yet to hear back from after an early-January interview... here's hoping for another round of decisions and some good news this week! :luck:

+1! Although if you haven't heard back yet, I may not this go round. I interviewed late January.

+1 Second week of January interview. Hope to ride off that Irish luck from yesterday :luck:

Got the waitlist letter today. Heart sank a little as I opened the mailbox lol. Still think Pritzker is a fantastic school!

Got the waitlist letter today. Heart sank a little as I opened the mailbox lol. Still think Pritzker is a fantastic school!

Another question for you after Barney's - did the letter have a date on it?

there doesn't seem to have been any committee meetings lately... any chance there will be more acceptances soon given that second look is 3 weeks away?

there doesn't seem to have been any committee meetings lately... any chance there will be more acceptances soon given that second look is 3 weeks away?

There was a committee meeting two weeks ago, so they'd be "due" today (which is part of why I'm so obsessively watching this thread).

Continued, which turns into the waitlist on May 15th so I just said waitlist. Dated only a week ago so I'm surprised the letter came so quickly.

Sorry to hear :( Now I'm antsy about checking the mail when I get home from work today.

:idea: So, I'm just going to stalk the postman for the next week or so brb...

Apparently, I am an excellent stalker! Received my continued letter today. Interviewed 1/22 (one of the last interview days), so I suspect that those who haven't heard should, unfortunately, keep an eye on their mailboxes.

Good luck to everyone! :luck:

So I guess it seems like they're all done with their ADCOM meetings since their Twitter hasn't announced one this week...

So I guess it seems like they're all done with their ADCOM meetings since their Twitter hasn't announced one this week...

I don't know, I'm hoping they just didn't post it. After all, they've been busy posting about Match day :). Besides, we at least know they keep reviewing continued applicants, so they must still meet with some regularity, right?

I'm just hoping that there is still some good news waiting to go out...:xf:

I like the optimism but I can't help but think, with only 88 spots for the amount of people they interview (~600 people [15%]), waitlist movement will be rather low, at most 5%. I guess when schools aren't transparent about how the process works at this point one can only speculate.

No snail mail 'continued' status today. Maybe there is hope for more acceptances...

No snail mail 'continued' status today. Maybe there is hope for more acceptances...

Not to rain on your parade or anything, but I'm in Chicago so it probably got to me more quickly than it will to others.

Do most people who attend Second Look fly out Saturday night or Sunday morning?

If not mistaken I think they said they would arrange student hosts on Friday night and Saturday night? I am leaving early Sunday morning.

If not mistaken I think they said they would arrange student hosts on Friday night and Saturday night? I am leaving early Sunday morning.

Yup, that's right - unless things have changed Saturday night will be the last night of official events. Hosts will also be provided to those who request them. I haven't seen an email about them so I'm guessing that process will start soon (or it already has and MS2s weren't invited).

Status
Not open for further replies.